• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

I think they will end in June and wont happen until at least Dec. Happens end of financial year or christmas sales mainly. Glad i got mine on that discount XD

Stiler

I'd like to point out that those "20%" codes that ebay has been throwing up every week or so has a cap to them.

Usually it's like $50 bucks or something small. So you don't actually get 20% off a 2k tv or anything like that, which makes it almost a worthless coupon for buying something expensive.

Getting rather tired of these issues with the 65B6 now. It's probably (not yet) something that warrants a return for a replacement if that's even gonna happen but it's annoying me quite a lot to be honest.

This morning I thought it would be nice to watch some Better call Saul on Netflix. So I click on the app but it doesn't load at all. What I got instead was a black screen. No matter what I did it wouldn't start at all. So I turn the TV off, wait a bit and try again and now it's just completely frozen while showing the screen of all the apps. I turn the goddamn thing off again and on, load up Netflix and it works.

Watched two episodes and then had to leave the living room for a few seconds. I come back and I see that the screen saver with the fireworks is one but guess what? It's completely frozen again. I'm gonna try and find the latest firmware that is said to be working on this, it's russian though.

I'd like to point out that those "20%" codes that ebay has been throwing up every week or so has a cap to them.

Usually it's like $50 bucks or something small. So you don't actually get 20% off a 2k tv or anything like that, which makes it almost a worthless coupon for buying something expensive.

Huh? The current ones are capped at 1000 dollars savings max per transaction

So yes you do get 20% off a 3500 dollar tv. As I did personally.

Anarion07

Getting rather tired of these issues with the 65B6 now. It's probably (not yet) something that warrants a return for a replacement if that's even gonna happen but it's annoying me quite a lot to be honest.

This morning I thought it would be nice to watch some Better call Saul on Netflix. So I click on the app but it doesn't load at all. What I got instead was a black screen. No matter what I did it wouldn't start at all. So I turn the TV off, wait a bit and try again and now it's just completely frozen while showing the screen of all the apps. I turn the goddamn thing off again and on, load up Netflix and it works.

Watched two episodes and then had to leave the living room for a few seconds. I come back and I see that the screen saver with the fireworks is one but guess what? It's completely frozen again. I'm gonna try and find the latest firmware that is said to be working on this, it's russian though.

If it persists maybe try reinstalling Netflix. Might help. Who knows.
Once I had a problem with Netflix not wanting to play a certain episode of a series. It just wouldn't continue. Other series worked fine.
Solution was to completely unplug the TV for 10 minutes. That might help as well?
Give it a try.

It's not low end really, although in America there's a huge difference in pricing. I was fucking gobsmacked when I saw how much it cost in Australia.

Amazon USA prices:

900e = 1400
C7 = 2500 (+78%)

Retail Australian prices:

900e = 3000
C7 = 3600 (+20%)

Awful price positioning

Yeah and I could have grabbed the X900E 20% off the other day too. I'm still thinking though. Ebay's been having those sales for a while now and they keep doing new codes every month or so.

I was originally hoping the X900E would be 2400 (55") and then I'd be like ~1800-1900 after a code. But it wasn't to be.

X900e is $2500 on the Aus sites I looked at
https://www.videopro.com.au/p-10959-sony-bravia-55-kd55x9000e-4k-hdr-tv.aspx
https://www.binglee.com.au/sony-x90e-55-inch-4k-uhd-led-android-tv-kd55x9000e

UK pricing
900e 55" £1500

C7 55" £3000

900e 65" £2300

C7 65" £4500

Maybe Aus still has too many older models?

If it persists maybe try reinstalling Netflix. Might help. Who knows.
Once I had a problem with Netflix not wanting to play a certain episode of a series. It just wouldn't continue. Other series worked fine.
Solution was to completely unplug the TV for 10 minutes. That might help as well?
Give it a try.

Someone on AVS gave me this advice:

Do a hard reset. After doing the reset, turn the display off. Unplug the power cable. Using the remote try to turn the TV back on holding the power button in for around 20 seconds. Notice that the red led on the front of the set flashes some and eventually you'll have discharged the residual power. You'll have to redo your settings though.

The problem is, i don't see the flashes at all. I did the reset to initial settings, assuming he meant that. I turn the TV off, remove power cable. Red led stays on for like 5 minutes. I then hold the remote's power button for 20+ seconds, but no flashes.

Netflix is only one of the problems too, i am getting tired of those crashes/freezes. That shouldn't happen. Never ever had any of these things with my EC9300;

Anarion07

Someone on AVS gave me this advice:

The problem is, i don't see the flashes at all. I did the reset to initial settings, assuming he meant that. I turn the TV off, remove power cable. Red led stays on for like 5 minutes. I then hold the remote's power button for 20+ seconds, but no flashes.

Netflix is only one of the problems too, i am getting tired of those crashes/freezes. That shouldn't happen. Never ever had any of these things with my EC9300;

Then just call Netflix and tell them exactly the things you've already tried and experienced. Maybe they know of the problem and are working on it.
Doesn't seem to be a problem on the LG side

Then just call Netflix and tell them exactly the things you've already tried and experienced. Maybe they know of the problem and are working on it.
Doesn't seem to be a problem on the LG side

When the TV freezes on its own settings menus several times since Saturday, quite a lot really, and also refused to turn on a few times or just after start up immediately freeze in the apps menu..... that's definitely on LG. :)

The Netflix thing is only a minor issue really in comparison. Something is not right here and hopefully I can fix it myself before I call the store.

Anarion07

When the TV freezes on its own settings menus several times since Saturday, quite a lot really, and also refused to turn on a few times or just after start up immediately freeze in the apps menu..... that's definitely on LG. :)

The Netflix thing is only a minor issue really in comparison. Something is not right here and hopefully I can fix it myself before I call the store.

Oh i misread that as "Netflix is the only one problem though". My bad.

Oh i misread that as "Netflix is the only one problem though". My bad.

If only :)

But we'll see what happens now. The reset to initital settings has happened. It's all set up again. I have the Netflix app on now and paused a show so that the fireworks screensaver enables. Always good to have such a thing. Hopefully it won't freeze here and in the settings menus anymore.

Jay Sosa

german/europe gaf: so is there a similar model to this seemingly glorious tlc roku tv? Quite a few tlc models available over here but none of them seems to be the exact same model.

tia! btw..why in the world to these manufacturers get so creative when it comes to different regions? drives me insane.

Marmelade

german/europe gaf: so is there a similar model to this seemingly glorious tlc roku tv? Quite a few tlc models available over here but none of them seems to be the exact same model.

tia! btw..why in the world to these manufacturers get so creative when it comes to different regions? drives me insane.

Nope, we're not worthy of that P607 goodness
The P6046 doesn't have local dimming, wide color gamut, Dolby Vision (and maybe some other stuff) and has a pretty poor 270nits HDR brightness peak
The 55C7006 (which is close to 1000€...) does have WCG but doesn't have local dimming, Dolby Vision, only 400nits peak brightness etc

Installed the Russian firmware and it seems to be gone, these issues. But I won't get too excited just yet. I'll go fiddle with the settings a bit and see if the menus don't freeze anymore. The fireworks screensaver isn't freezing anymore it seems.

I have two questions :

1- So I read that HDR Game mode really lessens the brightness. I can't test this but how bad is it really?

2- Aspect ratio. It's by default on 16/9 in some picture modes but on original for others. Which one do I really choose?

Aggie CMD

All smart TV software sucks. This is the only logical conclusion.

I've had two Samsung smart TVs and hardly ever bothered with the onboard apps because the overall interface was sluggish and ugly. It made more sense to use my Xbox.

Now I have the LG B6 and want to use the onboard apps to take advantage of 4K until the XOX arrives. While webOS looks great it is completely UNRELIABLE. It crashes all the time. In settings. In Amazon Prime Video. In Vudu. This TV is expensive and these things should just work. I would return it but the display is just so GORGEOUS.

Ironically, the cheapest TV I have has the best software - TCL for the bedroom. But it doesn't really count as TV software since it is a Roku.

Signed, Annoyed Consumer

Anarion07

All smart TV software sucks. This is the only logical conclusion.

I've had two Samsung smart TVs and hardly ever bothered with the onboard apps because the overall interface was sluggish and ugly. It made more sense to use my Xbox.

Now I have the LG B6 and want to use the onboard apps to take advantage of 4K until the XOX arrives. While webOS looks great it is completely UNRELIABLE. It crashes all the time. In settings. In Amazon Prime Video. In Vudu. This TV is expensive and these things should just work. I would return it but the display is just so GORGEOUS.

Ironically, the cheapest TV I have has the best software - TCL for the bedroom. But it doesn't really count as TV software since it is a Roku.

Signed, Annoyed Consumer

Did you update the firmware?
I've barely had any issues with mine since november.
Best smart TV OS I've ever used. Snappy, quick and intuitive.

Installed the Russian firmware and it seems to be gone, these issues. But I won't get too excited just yet. I'll go fiddle with the settings a bit and see if the menus don't freeze anymore. The fireworks screensaver isn't freezing anymore it seems.

I have two questions :

1- So I read that HDR Game mode really lessens the brightness. I can't test this but how bad is it really?

2- Aspect ratio. It's by default on 16/9 in some picture modes but on original for others. Which one do I really choose?

Use original as default unless you get rows or lines of pixels at the edges. Original should map 1:1 pixel wise, 16:9 clips information at the edges.

smuf

With the 65 inch B6 dropping to acceptable price levels I really want to get one, but all the mentions of bad motion handling do scare me. Maybe I'd be better off waiting for models that fix this or for the A1 to drop in price. First world problems :)

I've had a 50 inch Panasonic plasma for years now and it's picture still looks gorgeous but I'd love to get something bigger.

Jay Sosa

Nope, we're not worthy of that P607 goodness
The P6046 doesn't have local dimming, wide color gamut, Dolby Vision (and maybe some other stuff) and has a pretty poor 270nits HDR brightness peak
The 55C7006 (which is close to 1000€...) does have WCG but doesn't have local dimming, Dolby Vision, only 400nits peak brightness etc

argh, but thanks. guess I'll have to wait for a massive Sony 900XE (or whatever it's called over here) price drop. Not gonna shell out 1400€ with hopes of winning the LCD no DSE/clouding/whatever lottery.

Aggie CMD

Did you update the firmware?
I've barely had any issues with mine since november.
Best smart TV OS I've ever used. Snappy, quick and intuitive.

I have the latest firmware and contacted support which suggested to do a factory reset. Didn't change the behavior. I suppose it could be any combination of factors from Wifi to AVR causing the problems.

❤ technology

Stiler

Huh? The current ones are capped at 1000 dollars savings max per transaction

So yes you do get 20% off a 3500 dollar tv. As I did personally.

Well in the US at least those codes are capped. I recently tried to use the 20% off a 700 monitor and it capped it at $50 off instead of what 20% would be.

Then I looked at the fine print and it said "20% up to a maximum of $50."

After that I've looked at each one that's came up and they all have a maximum amount they cap at in them.

Well in the US at least those codes are capped. I recently tried to use the 20% off a 700 monitor and it capped it at $50 off instead of what 20% would be.

Then I looked at the fine print and it said "20% up to a maximum of $50."

After that I've looked at each one that's came up and they all have a maximum amount they cap at in them.

Well for once we Australians get the better deal 😂 Didn't know codes were region specific. $1000 cap is massive In comparison!

Use original as default unless you get rows or lines of pixels at the edges. Original should map 1:1 pixel wise, 16:9 clips information at the edges.

Thanks man. I'll do that.

Any people here that want to share their B6 picture settings? I know these settings are very subjective but I'm still curious to try some out and since I'm gonna be checking to see if the TV menus still freeze this is a good opportunity.

irishcow

Hey all. I just bought a used LG 55B6P. I didn't realize when I bought it but it seems to have pretty horrible burn in. I was told when buying it that it was a floor model at best buy. I know this should have been a red flag but I paid $850 for it and was hoping for the best.

When there is a solid red or solid grey background there is tons of burn in including a round LG logo in the middle of the screen and a pretty thick bar at the bottom.

I ran a youtube "burn in" fix video for 10 hours overnight and have done clear noise 3 times so far.

Am I dead? Is there any hope or is this screen done for good?

phen0m24

Loving my C6, the picture quality is amazing & this is coming from someone who had a panny plasma.

Quick Question: Has anyone else had issues with the PS4 or Xbox cutting out? My game screen will look messed up or just go black when I change the input, however nothing is wrong with the other sources. Turning the tv off & on doesn't fix it, I have to restart my PS4. Now this sound like a PS4 issue but this only started since I've got the tv. Granted it's only happened twice, but over 3 weeks that's a bit much I think.

Same. The 3D is incredible. I'm playing Trine 3 and it's gorgeous. So glad I went for the 3d

Wiped89

Loving my C6, the picture quality is amazing & this is coming from someone who had a panny plasma.

Quick Question: Has anyone else had issues with the PS4 or Xbox cutting out? My game screen will look messed up or just go black when I change the input, however nothing is wrong with the other sources. Turning the tv off & on doesn't fix it, I have to restart my PS4. Now this sound like a PS4 issue but this only started since I've got the tv. Granted it's only happened twice, but over 3 weeks that's a bit much I think.

Yes! I have had this problem with my PS4 and ONLY my PS4. It helped buying a new HDMI cable but it didn't solve it completely, sometimes I will turn the PS4 and the picture on my C6 is black, but I can hear the sound, and I have to restart the PS4. I have never really figured out why.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Ok i decided to order the tcl from bestbuy. I wasn't sure I needed 55 or 65 as I currently sit about 10 ft from my 50inch set and I can see alright. $599 isn't that much to spend and hopefully by the middle of PS5 generation oleds in larger sizes will be sub 2k.

Supposedly will get it on sunday but we'll see as thats a pretty short turnaround time for shipping.

The tcl apparently also got a firmware update today. any improvements? :)

Hey all. I just bought a used LG 55B6P. I didn't realize when I bought it but it seems to have pretty horrible burn in. I was told when buying it that it was a floor model at best buy. I know this should have been a red flag but I paid $850 for it and was hoping for the best.

When there is a solid red or solid grey background there is tons of burn in including a round LG logo in the middle of the screen and a pretty thick bar at the bottom.

I ran a youtube "burn in" fix video for 10 hours overnight and have done clear noise 3 times so far.

Am I dead? Is there any hope or is this screen done for good?

There's a built in mode to help with it. You can try running a few loops of that

Under the settings

RedAssedApe

Banned
Random question. Does anyone have an old Kuro Plasma. Specifically 5020/6020? Was wondering if there were any official input lag numbers in and out of game mode.

Curious how they set will compare to the LCD I just purchased and if I'll be able to feel the difference.

The Sony XBR55X900E is on sale right now in Canada. Extremely tempted to pick it up, especially because my PS4 Pro is just sitting here not being used to its full potential.

Stiler

Ok i decided to order the tcl from bestbuy. I wasn't sure I needed 55 or 65 as I currently sit about 10 ft from my 50inch set and I can see alright. $599 isn't that much to spend and hopefully by the middle of PS5 generation oleds in larger sizes will be sub 2k.

Supposedly will get it on sunday but we'll see as thats a pretty short turnaround time for shipping.

The tcl apparently also got a firmware update today. any improvements? :)

If possible you should try sitting closer, either moving your seating closer to the tv or your tv closer to the seating area.

With 4k sets you want to sit closer then 1080p tvs. Around 4 1/2 - 7 foot is recommend for a 55" 4k or 5 1/2-8 for 65" at 4k. Sitting too far away you aren't going to be able to see the tiny details as good which is where 4k really shines over 1080p.

RedAssedApe

Banned
If possible you should try sitting closer, either moving your seating closer to the tv or your tv closer to the seating area.

With 4k sets you want to sit closer then 1080p tvs. Around 4 1/2 - 7 foot is recommend for a 55" 4k or 5 1/2-8 for 65" at 4k. Sitting too far away you aren't going to be able to see the tiny details as good which is where 4k really shines over 1080p.

I think I just need to invest in a comfy chair to pull up when gaming. Although there's the minor coffee table problem. :)

So I finally got my C7 set up. I have yet to really fiddle with the settings.

I try to turn the HDR option on in the PS4's setting, but it say by TV doesn't have this option. I assume I need a newer model HDMI cable?

AGITΩ

With the 65 inch B6 dropping to acceptable price levels I really want to get one, but all the mentions of bad motion handling do scare me. Maybe I'd be better off waiting for models that fix this or for the A1 to drop in price. First world problems :)

I've had a 50 inch Panasonic plasma for years now and it's picture still looks gorgeous but I'd love to get something bigger.
After about 2 weeks with my A1E and messing around with some of the settings on it, its definitely great at handling motion. Sony didnt gimp down on any of their processing on this guy.
Messing around with both the A1E and E7 at work is pretty much what sold me on the A1E.

So I finally got my C7 set up. I have yet to really fiddle with the settings.

I try to turn the HDR option on in the PS4's setting, but it say by TV doesn't have this option. I assume I need a newer model HDMI cable?

Turn on deep color for any hdmi input you're gonna do hdr on. It's in general settings, not picture, and its per input

I've decided to upgrade my Netflix to 4K. I was so curious how much better it would look.

Sadly i can only say i barely notice a difference....if at all. Been checking out shows like Blacklist, Better call Saul, 13 reasons why, House of Cards etc on the Xbox One app (which doesn't show 4K because i have the first Xbox One) and the Netflix app on the TV which shows 4K. Used the exact same picture settings for both.

I honestly can't speak of much difference. These shows already were pretty crisp to begin with but i guess i was expecting Netflix 4K to look like those demo videos like 4K Chess and such. On the Xbox One app i can see at what resolution i'm streaming by pressing the right stick and it says 1080p eventually, i can't do this on the TV sadly. There's no info button on the remote.

Disappointment.

Ok i have to say i was wrong about something. There definitely is a difference on Netflix, it was just me being extremely stupid.

Viewing distance yesterday was about 3-3.5m, both 4K and 1080p content looked exactly the same. I checked some websites and they recommend at least 1.98m for a 65 inch at 4K. So i did that just now. Watched The Blacklist and it's definitely noticeable now. The question is....do i want to sit 2m away from a 65 incher? :p

Definitely not now with all these low resolution games currently for me, but when Xbox One X releases we'll see.

By the way what's up with House of Cards? Season 1 doesn't look crisp at all but it does say it is in 4K. Season 4 for example is a lot more crisp.

RomeoDog

Banned
I'm an E6 owner and I got prey... It barely looks better than the game on 1080p. I wanted to see the game pre patch and post patch to see that pro difference. There isn't one.

Sometimes I think the 4k revolution is horse. The best thing about my tv isn't the HDR or 4k.. its the 3d. And sadly they don't make 3d games anymore.

Mrbob

Yeah I'm buying the TV mainly for HDR so that's the improvement I'm looking for.

I know this is a gaming forum but my usage is in watching 4K HDR movies as well. How is the quality of HDR movies? Big difference? If not I"ll be slightly disappointed.

Also, regarding motion, Rtings has best TVS for sports here and that determined on how the tv handles motion:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/sports

Since my 3 main items for new TV are HDR games, HDR movies, and sports I want something that will do well with all 3. Seem like the LG and Sony handle motion well according to the reviews listed in the link above.

I'm an E6 owner and I got prey... It barely looks better than the game on 1080p. I wanted to see the game pre patch and post patch to see that pro difference. There isn't one.

Sometimes I think the 4k revolution is horse. The best thing about my tv isn't the HDR or 4k.. its the 3d. And sadly they don't make 3d games anymore.
Do you own Horizon? I wouldn't judge 4k based on Prey's Pro mode.

Kambing

Well there is a lot more to the quality of a picture than resolution, especially in video content. Bit rate for example. That is why streaming 4k really looks like it is just approaching straight BD playback. Or why gamersyde videos are so coveted... in fact download some gamersyde trailer that you enjoy in 4k, and compare with a 4k stream. The difference in quality is astounding. If you can't tell a difference that's okay, but it's certainly there.

Using a PC is really the best way to see the difference between 1080p and 4k on the set. Pull up any game, Witcher 3 is a good one, and switch between both resolutions.

Top Bottom