• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Wear |OT| 2nd Gen is Here

acm2000

Needs to show what the ambient mode looks like

you asked and he has giveth

watch_phase-ambient_mode.png

Asbel

Just got a message that "soon" my Huawei watch will update, can't wait to try 2.0.
You can do that now by constantly tapping on the system is up to date screen, seriously. It's better for the most part but theater mode is longer to get to which bugs me.. also seems to be a lot of connection bugs with apps that freeze the screen.. not sure if that's because the app wasn't updated to 2.0..

Hasney

You can do that now by constantly tapping on the system is up to date screen, seriously. It's better for the most part but theater mode is longer to get to which bugs me.. also seems to be a lot of connection bugs with apps that freeze the screen.. not sure if that's because the app wasn't updated to 2.0..

I found factory resetting my LG Watch R after the update got rid of most of that freeze jank.

and to give people an idea of how ridiculous this sounds, it took over a minute of tapping for me for it to pop.

Izayoi

Banned
Kind of off-topic, but I'm in the market for a fitness tracker.

I've been eyeing the FitBit Charge 2 because I'm a runner who is very interested in good sleep hygiene. It's a shame that it's an ugly looking beast, but I'm willing to sacrifice looks for functionality.

I'm not a swimmer and don't need waterproofing (I do run in the rain but I supposed just about everything is water resistant at this point).

Thoughts?

Jzero

Any word on the update for the Moto 360 2nd gen, or is Lenovo just dragging their feet.

The most important thing i've learned over the past 3 years is not to buy anything from Motorola ever again. Anyway, can't wait to get my free LG Watch Style, my OG Moto 360 is literally falling apart.

Kind of off-topic, but I'm in the market for a fitness tracker.

I've been eyeing the FitBit Charge 2 because I'm a runner who is very interested in good sleep hygiene. It's a shame that it's an ugly looking beast, but I'm willing to sacrifice looks for functionality.

I'm not a swimmer and don't need waterproofing (I do run in the rain but I supposed just about everything is water resistant at this point).

Thoughts?

GearFit 2

Izayoi

Banned
how detailed are the Charge 2's sleeping stats?
They use the SpO2, accelerometer, and heartbeat sensor to detail your sleep quality and even phases of sleep (REM, etc). It will track how many times you wake up and use other metrics to draw an overall picture of your health - like noticing that your quality of sleep improves when you exercise at a particular time of day.

My wife got the Fit 2, I got the Charge 2 - so we will see how each works out. (Can always return and exchange if I get envious of that AMOLED.)

They use the SpO2, accelerometer, and heartbeat sensor to detail your sleep quality and even phases of sleep (REM, etc). It will track how many times you wake up and use other metrics to draw an overall picture of your health - like noticing that your quality of sleep improves when you exercise at a particular time of day.

My wife got the Fit 2, I got the Charge 2 - so we will see how each works out. (Can always return and exchange if I get envious of that AMOLED.)

sounds a bit better than the Gear Fit 2, but still in the same ballpark.

i await the comparison report.

EmiPrime

In other news, Tizen is now #2,ahead of Android Wear.

Not a surprise given Google and OEMs don't care about any market outside of the US. Poor availability and no marketing, no wonder nobody is buying them. It's the Chromebook story all over again.

The buy links on the UK Android Wear page that lead to US retailers are a nice touch too.

Hasney

Yeah, I see all smart watches as overpriced to be honest. Probably biased since my LG Watch R was £80.

I'd get a Saumsng one for 1) under £100 and 2) Samsung Pay is fully in the UK and could use my watch to pay. Standard watch strap support is important for me too.

Izayoi

Banned
Initial impressions on Charge 2 is that I'm fucking jealous of my wife's Fit 2.

The stats are almost as detailed, and literally everything else is better - especially on the hardware side of things.

I really appreciate the online charts for the Fitbit, and that's really the only thing that would keep me from returning it for a Samsung.

Does S Health do charting that can be accessed on your PC? I haven't been able to figure it out.

Initial impressions on Charge 2 is that I'm fucking jealous of my wife's Fit 2.

The stats are almost as detailed, and literally everything else is better - especially on the hardware side of things.

I really appreciate the online charts for the Fitbit, and that's really the only thing that would keep me from returning it for a Samsung.

Does S Health do charting that can be accessed on your PC? I haven't been able to figure it out.

no, but you can link the Samsung Health data to other services liker Fitbit in the app settings.

Charcoal

Hey all, sorry in advance for asking a stupid question. I've had a Garmin watch for the last year. I've tried the new Apple watch. I think I'm at the point where I want something new.

Is the Gear S3 considered one of the best Android watches? It felt really nice when I played with it in store, but I value gaf's opinion too. Are there others I should look into as well?

I have a OnePlus 3T and that will be my primary phone to pair with the watch.

Hey all, sorry in advance for asking a stupid question. I've had a Garmin watch for the last year. I've tried the new Apple watch. I think I'm at the point where I want something new.

Is the Gear S3 considered one of the best Android watches? It felt really nice when I played with it in store, but I value gaf's opinion too. Are there others I should look into as well?

I have a OnePlus 3T and that will be my primary phone to pair with the watch.

the Gear S3 isn't an Android Wear device, it runs Samsung's Tizen OS

Jzero

I got my free LG Watch Style and it's pretty damn smooth compared to my OG Moto 360. Kinda cool that we get a tiny keyboard to swipe on in Android Wear 2.0 instead of having to talk to the watch.

Izayoi

Banned
I have to say that I really love the FitBit's detailed states and charts. I'm a numbers guy and it's perfect for me. No love for the hardware, but the software more than makes up for it. I'm glad I went with the Charge 2 over the Fit 2.

My wife doesn't care about the nitty gritty, so the Fit 2 is great for her as well. The hardware is lovely and obviously a lot more attractive to look at. Seems that things worked out just fine.

no, but you can link the Samsung Health data to other services liker Fitbit in the app settings.
Wow, I can't believe that I wasn't able to figure this out on my own.

Thank you!

Hasney

Is anyone else getting much better battery life with Wear 2 now it's settled down? Went to bed with over 70% battery last night on an LG Watch R.

Jzero

god, Gorilla Glass is such a shitty material to use for a watch, it get scratched so fucking easily :(

oZgHXts.jpg

I can't believe we live in a day where we have to put screen protectors on watches
Is anyone else getting much better battery life with Wear 2 now it's settled down? Went to bed with over 70% battery last night on an LG Watch R.

The LG Watch Style has a smaller battery than the OG Moto 360 and still outlasts it.

I have a Fossil Q Marshal, been using it since December, got it as a gift.

I ran it with my LG G5 until April and then I'm running it currently with the S8+. Running on the latest 2.0, all good with the watch I suppose.

Let me know if anyone have any questions.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Sort of a necro-ish post. My wife just got an S8 and wants to get a smartwatch. She had an Apple watch and loved it, but decided to move out of Apple. The S3 is way too masculine for her, so she wants something more sleek like the Apple watch was. Any suggestions?

Oxn

Sort of a necro-ish post. My wife just got an S8 and wants to get a smartwatch. She had an Apple watch and loved it, but decided to move out of Apple. The S3 is way too masculine for her, so she wants something more sleek like the Apple watch was. Any suggestions?

Apple watch is sleek?

Anyways get a zenwatch 3 for looks.

Nafai1123

Banned
Holy shit this update to Wear 2.0 on Zenwatch2 is fucking infuriating. Watch updated without issue, but wouldn't sync my account so I couldn't use Google Assistant. So...I try repairing my watch with my phone....and now every time I try to setup the watch again it stays stuck on "Checking for Updates" NO MATTER WHAT I DO. Tried uninstalling Android Wear, cleared cache for that app, cleared Google Play Services cache, reset Blutooth settings on my phone, etc etc etc.

At this point, my watch which I've been using for well over a year, is now a paper weight. It cannot do anything...except tell me to continue setup on phone.

Fuck this shit.

RuGalz

Try factory reset the watch? Mine updated without issues but I reset it afterward just to clean up all the crap got installed before.

Currently using a Fitbit Alta to track my general fitness. Was thinking about getting a smart watch to have some of the additional features like text messaging, music control, things of that nature. Any recommendations on a smart watch that can still do some basic fitness stuff like the Alta?

Also, my wrist is on the smaller size, so is there anything that wouldn't look like a giant monstrosity on my wrist? And looking for something that actually looks nice as well.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Currently using a Fitbit Alta to track my general fitness. Was thinking about getting a smart watch to have some of the additional features like text messaging, music control, things of that nature. Any recommendations on a smart watch that can still do some basic fitness stuff like the Alta?

Also, my wrist is on the smaller size, so is there anything that wouldn't look like a giant monstrosity on my wrist? And looking for something that actually looks nice as well.

I would have recommended Pebble but my Time is starting to wear thin on my patience with its shitty dictation, lack of face watches that aren't monopolised in some fashion and just not being a good enough alternative to Google's Watch OS. I've been eyeing the TicWatch S & E on Kickstarter, seems to do pretty much everything that you'd want a smartwatch to do. Give a look, might suit you?

I would have recommended Pebble but my Time is starting to wear thin on my patience with its shitty dictation, lack of face watches that aren't monopolised in some fashion and just not being a good enough alternative to Google's Watch OS. I've been eyeing the TicWatch S & E on Kickstarter, seems to do pretty much everything that you'd want a smartwatch to do. Give a look, might suit you?

Hmm. This looks intriguing. Thanks for the info!

Does "OK Google" on the watch suck for everybody post-update?

I used to be able to reliably dial my phone from it, and cannot anymore.

It also requires me to "tap to speak" most of the time (but not consistently).

It's also slow as anything.

It also doesn't reliably search for things on the net, although this is not that important.

The dialing is the big thing, I used to use that with BT headphones while driving.

Nafai1123

Banned
Try factory reset the watch? Mine updated without issues but I reset it afterward just to clean up all the crap got installed before.

Tried that numerous times. My phone recently got an OS update so I might give it another shot today. If that doesn't work only other thing I can try is factory reset on the phone, which I really don't want to deal with.

So i've just recently got into running but have been looking at smartwatches for a while. I'm still not entirely convinced that I want/need one so was looking to go and pickup a secondhand 360 gen 2 or the LG G Watch R to test the water before I buy something brand new.

In terms of what I want to do with it, track running/steps/gps, have map directions, see notifications, connect to spotify and potentially another running app like Strava or RunKeeper.

Which one would I be better off looking at? I realise they're old watches by now but I don't want to splash out loads of money on something that I'm not really sure I require?

CS_Dan

So i've just recently got into running but have been looking at smartwatches for a while. I'm still not entirely convinced that I want/need one so was looking to go and pickup a secondhand 360 gen 2 or the LG G Watch R to test the water before I buy something brand new.

In terms of what I want to do with it, track running/steps/gps, have map directions, see notifications, connect to spotify and potentially another running app like Strava or RunKeeper.

Which one would I be better off looking at? I realise they're old watches by now but I don't want to splash out loads of money on something that I'm not really sure I require?
For running? Neither honestly. I have a 360 v2, and for running GPS would be a must if I ever upgrade. NFC would also be nice for buying things without having my phone on me.
Unfortunately most watches with those two features are massively bulky and/or stupidly expensive and/or ugly as sin.

For running? Neither honestly. I have a 360 v2, and for running GPS would be a must if I ever upgrade. NFC would also be nice for buying things without having my phone on me.
Unfortunately most watches with those two features are massively bulky and/or stupidly expensive and/or ugly as sin.

Gear Sport!

Top Bottom