• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Billions |OT| Starring Paul Giamatti & Damian Lewis - Sundays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

You had to suspend all disbelief for the short stock scenario to play out but it was fun to watch.

I love this show. My favorite new drama even though I know season two is almost over. Taylor been a great addition to the show. I feel like this a show people will catch up too over time as buzz grows.

Will Wendy's short affect Chuck's plan?

I think so. Especially since she warned Chuck about the short. Then she got in on it. Insider trading and that is illegal.

Dahbomb

OH MY FUCKING GAWD...

WHAT AN EPISODE!!!!

WAHT A TWIST!!!!!

kvpaw.gif

4D Chess up in this biatch!

Grinchy

Banned
The only issue I have with the episode is that I feel like Chuck had no personal motivation to act so snarky toward Wendy when she warned him. It feels like he only acted that way so that the script could have her getting mad and making a play against him.

A more realistic interaction would have been like, "Thank you for warning me, Wendy, but if I acted on that information, it would be illegal. I have to just stick it out now."

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
What you guys think of the legality of this whole thing?
Looks like everyone got fucked in a way.
Chuck let his dad use his blind trust
Wendy got on the bandwagon based on an inside information
Bobby, well he seems most fucked

Nothus

Man that was a great ep, but am I understanding this right?
Chuck basically blew his entire trust fund and let Ira's dreams go down the pan, just so he could catch Axelrod?

And now he won't even be able to prosecute Axelrod without implicating his wife in the process?

eliza0224

Chuck basically blew his entire trust fund and let Ira's dreams go down the pan, just so he could catch Axelrod?

And now he won't even be able to prosecute Axelrod without implicating his wife in the process?
Everyone is in deep shit!

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
What you guys think of the legality of this whole thing?
Looks like everyone got fucked in a way.
Chuck let his dad use his blind trust
Wendy got on the bandwagon based on an inside information
Bobby, well he seems most fucked

Wendy's getting on the bandwagon isn't illegal, heck it's barely unethical. She's just asking to invest in something her firm is doing anyway, with no knowledge beyond the fact that her firm is doing it.
Her warning Chuck is obviously both, but since he didn't act on that information, and nobody except the two of them witnessed it, that's unlikely to cause trouble.

Chuck letting his dad use the blind trust is sketchy, but the blind trust is there to prevent him from insider trading - in this case, he actually sacrificed his money to bait Axe. Probably illegal (But there's a fat chance the trust is a personal choice, not a legal one - See Trump's for real life applications), but imho not unethical. (What he did to Ira, however, is ten different kinds of unethical - but the damage will be limited, because after the investigation ICEJ will get back up - and Axe's will be on the hook for damages)

Axe is fucked. He's mandated poisonings to take down a company, out of spite, but also making a killing for his company too - There's motive, there's ten different kinds of evidence, there's damage. Unless they deus ex machina it, Axe is going to see the inside of a jail cell.
(Discussing Axe's ethics after the Sandicot stunt is superflous. Everyone else is a person that sometimes fails, and he's a fucking sociopath)

vpance

I love it when Chuck wins. Didn't see the twist coming but they never did foreshadow anything.

Re: him losing his money, I don't think he will. When the sabotage is exposed the stock should resume trading as normal.. at least if it's like real life.

The "twist" was pretty heavy handed.

Yeah, but it was still fun :)

jett

D-Member
Halfway through the episode I was like FUCK CHUCK but then the twist came. I said damn. This episode was pretty over the top all around but that was still fun as fuck.

It was a great episode. Minute-to-minute Billions is easily the most entertaining show on TV.

Seriously fuck Chuck Rhodes.

This entire season has been his rise and things going great for him. And Axel getting screwed.. this last time without him even knowing how screwed he is..

I mean how does he even get out of this? Is his only hope the fact that Wendy jumped in on the short and she'd have to be prosecuted too?

I love it when Chuck wins.

So season 2?

cLOUDo

Axe needs a win, he is looked like a moron against Chuck

And fuck Chuck, he just stands watching how his father and his best friend taking the L

I hope the glasses's guy(I forgot his name) go against Chuck

NYR

And fuck Chuck, he just stands watching how his father and his best friend taking the L

I think the point will be to prove Axe deliberately screwed the IPO via a conspiracy and it will regain its proper value accordingly and eventually. Or maybe the point he is as ruthless as Axe and they are both headed for the same result - a head on car crash.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

Ira and Chuck Sr will be made whole, either by the stock recovering or by suing axelrod for tortious interference.

NYR

I guess I am one of the few that is team Chuck. Axe gets away with too much so I like it when he comes back down to earth.

Mrbob

Once information gets out that Ice Juice was set up the stock price should jump back up but not sure how the show is going to play it.

Ashhong

I guess I am one of the few that is team Chuck. Axe gets away with too much so I like it when he comes back down to earth.

At least he's not a hypocrite like fucking Chuck. I was so happy when I thought Chuck lost it all. God dammit!

Once information gets out that Ice Juice was set up the stock price should jump back up but not sure how the show is going to play it.

They still had bacteria in the warehouse, even if it was planted. I would still be weary, but I'm no trader.

vpance

It's humbling time for Axe.

TBH poisoning the juice feels like such a farfetched move, so I'm glad they didn't make it an easy win for Axe and there was something more to it.

They still had bacteria in the warehouse, even if it was planted. I would still be weary, but I'm no trader.

I think the FBI pretty much caught everyone involved in the act.

At least he's not a hypocrite like fucking Chuck. I was so happy when I thought Chuck lost it all. God dammit!

Why does Chuck being a hypocrite, something that I'll admit is true at times, bother you so much but Axe destroying a town doesn't? I'm surprised there are people in this thread cheering for Axe.

Chuck and the other characters certainly have their failings, Chuck's hypocrisy in certain matters for one thing but they're not sociopaths like Bobby.

Not to mention Chuck losing would have been boring since Axe almost always comes out ahead.

Chumley

Banned
Oh my god that episode.

Axe takes the biggest L of his life, Chuck is a god.

How on earth is anyone here rooting for Axe? He's a sociopath and doesn't care about anyone.

Ashhong

Why does Chuck being a hypocrite, something that I'll admit is true at times, bother you so much but Axe destroying a town doesn't? I'm surprised there are people in this thread cheering for Axe.

Chuck and the other characters certainly have their failings, Chuck's hypocrisy in certain matters for one thing but they're not sociopaths like Bobby.

Not to mention Chuck losing would have been boring since Axe almost always comes out ahead.

Well, the simplest answer is that I just like Axe the character more, so I can hand wave his faults while complaining about Chuck.

But to be clear, Axe of course has his issues, but at least he's up front about it. In the real world? Yea obviously that doesn't make him any better. But in the TV world, Chuck is a scumbag in my eyes.

Chumley

Banned
Well, the simplest answer is that I just like Axe the character more, so I can hand wave his faults while complaining about Chuck.

But to be clear, Axe of course has his issues, but at least he's up front about it. In the real world? Yea obviously that doesn't make him any better. But in the TV world, Chuck is a scumbag in my eyes.

This makes no sense. So because he's Damien Lewis his objectively sociopathic actions get a pass? What has Chuck done that comes anywhere close to wiping out an entire town's economy?

Paz

The way most people are rooting for Axe in this thread explains a lot about society :p

Good episode, a shame Chuck's wife screwed him big time again, maybe a direct repeat of her impact from last season?

Ashhong

This makes no sense. So because he's Damien Lewis his objectively sociopathic actions get a pass? What has Chuck done that comes anywhere close to wiping out an entire town's economy?

What does being Damien Lewis have to do with it?

I think you are 1. misinterpreting my post, and 2. really overthinking it. It's a fucking TV show. All I said was that to me, in a TV show, I've always hated the hypocrites and them frustratingly annoying. Therefore, in TV SHOWS, I will root against them.

Chumley

Banned
What does being Damien Lewis have to do with it?

I think you are 1. misinterpreting my post, and 2. really overthinking it. It's a fucking TV show. All I said was that to me, in a TV show, I've always hated the hypocrites and them frustratingly annoying. Therefore, in TV SHOWS, I will root against them.

Axe isn't a hypocrite? How? His whole 9/11 thing exposed his bullshit big time last season.

Nothus

I think one of the most impressive things about this show is how both Axelrod and Chuck have good and bad sides. You can see just from reading this thread that the viewers are split on who to root for, I can't think of many shows with two leads like that, I think it's great.

I don't think I want either of them to win! They are both pieces of shit really.
You feel for Chuck at times and then he goes and does something despicable like exploiting his own son for some good press (the baseball scene).

Ashhong

I think one of the most impressive things about this show is how both Axelrod and Chuck have good and bad sides. You can see just from reading this thread that the viewers are split on who to root for, I can't think of many shows with two leads like that, I think it's great.

I don't think I want either of them to win! They are both pieces of shit really.
You feel for Chuck at times and then he goes and does something despicable like exploiting his own son for some good press (the baseball scene).

Maybe Hank and Walt in BB? Although that never really depicted them as directly fighting each other like this

ah shit double post...sorry

Nothus

Maybe Hank and Walt in BB? Although that never really depicted them as directly fighting each other like this

ah shit double post...sorry

Hmm perhaps, although Hank was never really a lead character in BB in my opinion. Certainly not to the same extent as in Billions.

Chumley

Banned
I honestly don't remember what bullshit. Just the fact that he bet on the planes or was there more? Because I don't see a problem with that.

No, he lied about being in the tower and leading rescue efforts, because he was actually shorting stocks to make money as as soon as tower 2 was hit. What he did with the stocks isn't really the issue, it's that he lied and had his wife sue the woman who was going to put out the tell all book.

Oh, and at the end of S1 he allowed one of his guys to die 6 months earlier or more than he needed to just for his own gain, and then went to his funeral and talked about how good a man he was.

The way most people are rooting for Axe in this thread explains a lot about society :p

Good episode, a shame Chuck's wife screwed him big time again, maybe a direct repeat of her impact from last season?

Why? Chuck and Axe are the exact same in my book.

cLOUDo

guys, we agreed that Axe is the "villain" in the show
but in therms of Hypocrisy ....

Chuck >>>>> Axe

Chuck is like "i'm the justice, i put bad people in jail according to the law"
but his actions in those 2 seasons said other story

i feel sad for Taylor, she is probably the smarter character right now, but she is so naive

You had to suspend all disbelief for the short stock scenario to play out but it was fun to watch.

I love this show. My favorite new drama even though I know season two is almost over. Taylor been a great addition to the show. I feel like this a show people will catch up too over time as buzz grows.

I think so. Especially since she warned Chuck about the short. Then she got in on it. Insider trading and that is illegal.

that is exactly the reason, why he did not go out
to make it not insider trading

when you have the information, but don't take action you benefit from, you're not doing insider trading
only she could be in trouble ;)

no spoiler tags here, tho?

Taylor is the best character in this show

Love
Them

Yeah, that is my favorite character in the show.

what is wrong with you guys here?
the right answer was just above
Maffee is so great.

but taylor is #3 and a great additon to season 2

WriterGK

To be fair there was almost a whole episode about debating in the Axelrod company wether or not to destroy the town. He himself didn't want to do it and it was only after he asked his wife Lara for advice that he was going to destroy that town. Even tough its morally wrong the town was already destroyed far before Chuck and Axel rode in.

jiggles

Banned
So the finale is basically going to play out that

Chuck is swaggering about like he's got Axe dead to rights, but Axe Capital isn't involved in any trading on IceJuice, so there's nothing he can be nailed on.

EXCEPT the trade Wendy did, conveniently asked for right before, I guess, Iceland snapped some pics of her leaving Chuck's office.

Chuck flips out. Axe cries it was a setup. Then twists the knife and blows up their marriage with evidence of Wendy's fling with not-Musk.

Axe wins series 2 after taking all the Ls to this point

Chumley

Banned
So the finale is basically going to play out that

Chuck is swaggering about like he's got Axe dead to rights, but Axe Capital isn't involved in any trading on IceJuice, so there's nothing he can be nailed on.

EXCEPT the trade Wendy did, conveniently asked for right before, I guess, Iceland snapped some pics of her leaving Chuck's office.

Chuck flips out. Axe cries it was a setup. Then twists the knife and blows up their marriage with evidence of Wendy's fling with not-Musk.

Axe wins series 2 after taking all the Ls to this point

Uh what? What episode did you watch?

Not only did Axe Capital short the stock, Chuck has Axe dead to rights on criminal charges with photos and the dude in prison who made the call. Even if Axe didn't touch the stock, there's evidence of him poisoning the supply.

Why? Chuck and Axe are the exact same in my book.

They are objectively not morally equivalent in any way, no matter how you cut it. You can dislike Chuck's pontification and righteousness or personality all you want, but judging him and Axe by their actions, they're not the same.

jiggles

Banned
Uh what? What episode did you watch?

Not only did Axe Capital short the stock, Chuck has Axe dead to rights on criminal charges with photos and the dude in prison who made the call. Even if Axe didn't touch the stock, there's evidence of him poisoning the supply.

Yeah, my bad.

I didn't get the impression Axe was actively trading on it, and figured that's why he and Wags were so mad when they discovered Wendy was in. But I admit I wasn't really following the dialogue when the traders were all crowding around the terminal (figured it was an intra-office bet on a company Axe had said not to trade on), and Mafee's reasoning for doing the trade was that he figured it came from Axelrod.

I also clean forgot they also got the guy at IceJuice to put traces in the supply, just figured they got a bunch of people to do it to themselves.

That's what I get for watching it right before going to sleep.

Ashhong

Would what Chuck did not count as entrapment? There has to be a way for Axe to get out of this, because otherwise the show is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom