• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMBored

Fashion tyrant??

I'm in Japan so hopefully the server lag won't be too bad (managed WoW and ESO fine, though for the Ifrit fight way back when I ended up needing Pingzapper for FFXIV...we'll see if it's improved). Thank you kindly for the info, hope to see y'all in game soon!

From JP you probably have better ping now than you had before the server move, it's closer.
And Supreme Leader Drama will look at your outfit and release the /no emote.

KuroNeeko

Fashion tyrant??

I'm in Japan so hopefully the server lag won't be too bad (managed WoW and ESO fine, though for the Ifrit fight way back when I ended up needing Pingzapper for FFXIV...we'll see if it's improved). Thank you kindly for the info, hope to see y'all in game soon!

Mist, if you move can you post here? I'm playing on Marlboro from Japan, but the people In used to play regularly with moved back to the States and out of my time zone.

Might be worth transferring if there are more JPers on Ultros. Another player also recommended Tonberry (unofficial Aussie / JP server) as well. I'm still considering it since I play NIN and am constantly worried about ping. Interestingly enough, Primal DC is GOOD connection, while JP DCs are POOR.

Tanston

As much as I really love healing I'm seriously considering switching to DPS for stormblood. If i'm just going to be dpsing the whole time anyway I might as well do it on a class where DPS is actually fun and engaging, WHM DPS is pretty mind numbing. I really wish they could find a way to make healers have to heal.

Qvoth

The thing is, too many people are judging the content they're doing during/after a catch up patch
Healing a12s was quite hard I remember when I was progressing in RF, while in around i265ish

The thing is, too many people are judging the content they're doing during/after a catch up patch
Healing a12s was quite hard I remember when I was progressing in RF, while in around i265ish
Every healer friend of mine that got through A12S in 3.4 said it was a fucking nightmare lol

IvorB

Speaking of leaving FCs, over 25% of the FC I'm in left today. And like, we weren't a big FC by any means (~45 people), but I liked a lot of these people that left, they're good people, and had been in the FC for a good while. But having so many of them leave all at the same time, with most not even saying goodbye or anything, feels really shitty. =/

Been a bad day for my FC, for sure. I can't imagine how the leader feels. :(

Why did they leave? Was there drama?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Why did they leave? Was there drama?

I guess? I don't know, I'm not really privy to all the details. Best I can gather, they'd been planning on leaving for some time now and forming their own FC. I guess some of them disagreed with the way the guy in charge ran things? I wouldn't know why. In my experience he's never been anything but nice, and always willing to help with literally anything anyone might need. And I mean hell, he's patient enough to put up with me causing three wipes in The Vault on my first time trying to heal it and then brush it off with a "Don't worry about it, that one's tough to heal".

I dunno, I mean, I figured something was up when a bunch of them all bought houses right next to each other in a completely different housing area from the FC house and stopped hanging out at the FC house with the rest of us, but I didn't expect so many of them to just up and leave. Especially with so many of them leaving without saying anything. =/

iammeiam

Admittedly I don't clear date stalk the entire thread, but I don't think this applies to anybody in the current discussion. Week 1 i250 is probably a different discussion with more challenge points, but in terms of not-world-prog clears I think it's fair to note that 12 has quite a bit of downtime.

It has specific windows that require a lot of healing, but there's a decent amount of downtime between most of these. Like, the heavy healing spots definitely exist and things like the Holy Bleed stuff during puddles is heavy on throughput and overwhelming at first, or Stasis into Normal Sacrement requiring a plan since AOE heals might not hit everyone during the Sacrement cast, but there's still a lot of openings for healer DPS. It's the hardest fight in Creator to heal, but it's still subject to the basic FFXIV fight healing problem: Giant chunks of the fight that don't require two healers spending all their GCDs on healing, so it's DPS or run in circles waiting for the next thing to mitigate or healbomb after.

That doesn't mean there aren't "OH MY GOD WHAT" healing moments that are stressful--12 tosses out a ton of damage in spots--but it's the binary pass/fail. Once the healers figure out how to heal that spot so nobody dies, they know how many GCDs they'll be healing before free time and as Gear gets better the free time does nothing but increase.

Which is the heart of the problem; for large swaths of the fight, two healers all out healing is overkill, but the game r e a l l y wants to enforce 2/2/4 comp so you're going to end up with healer downtime. It works for a lot of people, but healers feeling like they don't have to heal nearly enough is an incredibly frequent complaint alongside tanks feeling more like DPS than actual tanks since mitigation is largely pushing a button at a scripted point in the fight instead of a constant active thing.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Mist, if you move can you post here? I'm playing on Marlboro from Japan, but the people In used to play regularly with moved back to the States and out of my time zone.

Might be worth transferring if there are more JPers on Ultros. Another player also recommended Tonberry (unofficial Aussie / JP server) as well. I'm still considering it since I play NIN and am constantly worried about ping. Interestingly enough, Primal DC is GOOD connection, while JP DCs are POOR.
Durandal is pretty cool, although it's one of the smaller servers.
I'm playing from Japan and had some lag on my previous connection (mansion type 100 Mbit, can be hit or miss depending on who lives in the building), but now that I moved and got 1 Gbit Internet (and better neighbors), everything is fine. Mudras work like a dream.

ebil

Every healer friend of mine that got through A12S in 3.4 said it was a fucking nightmare lol
I beat A12s like 4 or 5 weeks in and I thought there was a lot of very clear downtime where you could push significant DPS, even during early progression.

Yes, there are tough spots of intense damage going out because the game loves throwing gigantic spikes at you and gently tickling your tank the rest of the time, but that's what CD planning is for. CD healing is very fun (seriously, SCH in A8s prog was so much fun, an exercise in CD planning), but I definitely share the complaint about wanting to spend more GCDs healing vs. spending a huge chunk of my time performing a dumbed down DPS rotation.

studyguy

Shit my group personally never beat A8S, we'll probably do it now that the echo is up but fucking lord that battle was a shitshow for us. It's so fucking long.

k1t4j

Silly question... but is that hairstyle gender locked?

Also what does the Make it rain campaign entails, double MGP?

Well, I do have a character on Ultros that I'll definitely try to dust off and see if I can figure out the progression options for, so either way I'll be on Ultros first. If the GAF Free Company isn't very active then I suppose I'd consider a server move as well--I'll look into Tonberry in that case--but given how active this thread is, I'm hoping there are plenty of folks still active on Ultros.

Really weird that the JP centers are "Poor" though, that's crazy given the infrastructure here. The Primal center being moved to California is definitely good news for us, anyway!

Durandal is pretty cool, although it's one of the smaller servers.
I'm playing from Japan and had some lag on my previous connection (mansion type 100 Mbit, can be hit or miss depending on who lives in the building), but now that I moved and got 1 Gbit Internet (and better neighbors), everything is fine. Mudras work like a dream.
Yeah, I'm on mansion 100 as well (I was on 1 Gbit when I had lag problems actually, blamed it on the game as all the other NA-based MMORPGs were completely fine). Am curious to see how the connection runs now, will dive in over the weekend and see.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Shit my group personally never beat A8S, we'll probably do it now that the echo is up but fucking lord that battle was a shitshow for us. It's so fucking long.
My group never beat it either. We've been working on it while we wait for Stormblood, but between scheduling issues and fatigue, I'm not sure if we'll make it. We just saw final phase (water sacrifice thingy) last night.

Despite echo and horribly outgearing to the point where you can outright push through multiple phases, it's still hard - probably still on par with A12S or worse in terms of mechanics. There aren't really any DPS checks anymore, but there's still so much fucking instakill jump rope shit thrown at you at the same time.

I'm sad that I never made it past the final phase in A7, I wanted to see how badly my group was gonna fuck A8 up because just reading a guide gives me a headache.
Silly question... but is that hairstyle gender locked?
It isn't

My group never beat it either. We've been working on it while we wait for Stormblood, but between scheduling issues and fatigue, I'm not sure if we'll make it. We just saw final phase (water sacrifice thingy) last night.

Despite echo and horribly outgearing to the point where you can outright push through multiple phases, it's still hard - probably still on par with A12S or worse in terms of mechanics. There aren't really any DPS checks anymore, but there's still so much fucking instakill jump rope shit thrown at you at the same time.

No, it's worse than 12 by far.

The shear amount of points of failures, from hieghts, to chakras, to debuff mechanics is astronomical. 12 is fun compared to the shitstorm that is 8. Even when the end game Linkshell I'm in wants to do it I hesitate to speak up because it can still be a wipe city with people that know what they are doing.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I was afraid my comparison was too out there, but I'm glad to hear I'm not crazy for thinking it. Just the add phase alone has about the same number of jump rope insta-wipe mechanics as all of A12S. And it's already WAY easier than it was before, because the DPS checks have been removed and people don't really need to be prepped as much for the big raid hits anymore.

Missed Provoke or Provoked too slowly? Wipe. Failed to grab aggro on the mirage in time? Wipe. One of the tanks screwed up height? Wipe. Messed up math circles? Wipe. Someone was accidentally too close to the lightning pass point? Wipe. Pushed robots at a bad time? Most likely a wipe. And sometimes you're handling multiple mechanics at the same time, like height + lightning pass + math circles + balanced DPS burn on both robots.

That phase is infuriating, and it makes up like one quarter of the entire fight at current gear + echo. Then there are the freaking intermissions and then Gavel and... ugh fuck that fight.

studyguy

A8S is mechanic locked even if you push phases like 5 or 6 times over. Literal 1hit KO mechanics a dozen on that fight even if you have a billion HP. I mean in a sense it's fun to learn the mechanics, but lord there's so many of them and it's made worse by echo since you can push into a party wipe mechanic on accident super easily.

ebil

Oh yeah, A8s definitely is one of the most punishing fights they've ever done, and it's much worse than 12 for sure, even with echo and gear. We've given up on farming it for glamour because it can be a shitshow even with people who know it well. Even though I love the way the fight plays with your expectations, I don't think I ever want them to do something as ridiculous with instant wipes from one person's mistakes, ever.

It's just it was fun on a personal level from a SCH perspective because it needed great, very precise CD management.
I constantly wanted to strangle my friends while progressing through it, and that's probably when I realized that I was done with healing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I just hope I can get a good group. I don't suppose anyone here wants to make a sort of early access POTD grinding group?

studyguy

A8S during mechanic wave phase with buzz saws
giphy.gif

Stack Judgement Phase
giphy.gif

Squishy3

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm going to go for 1-50 potd first on samurai anyway whenever I level it to get a better feel for basic mechanics, efficiency be damned. People will have the 70 rotation datamined before the servers even come up but it's still nice to learn what individual moves do before training dummy practice.

scy

I think I'm going to go for 1-50 potd first on samurai anyway whenever I level it to get a better feel for basic mechanics, efficiency be damned. People will have the 70 rotation datamined before the servers even come up but it's still nice to learn what individual moves do before training dummy practice.

Think of all the "Why would you do that game?" when you see the order you unlock skills in.

iammeiam

This is when SE's clever plan to random put bad information on tooltips becomes super effective.

The drip feed kind of makes sense, but on some level I'm expecting the new jobs to all have base skills that map pretty closely to things already in-game (RDM looks super MCH-y.) I do wish they'd have made it possible to queue in and have your PotD level be 50, since I'm betting like 1-30 syncing will be boring and give random skills.

Think of all the "Why would you do that game?" when you see the order you unlock skills in.

I was going to bitch again about GB not just being a part of MCH since level 30 but then I thought about skill changes and potentially murdered turrets and now I'm just sad.

Haly

I imagine you'll learn all the skills you need from the intro quest anyway so there's no reason to do 1-50.

Anyway I already know how RDM plays just by reading analyses on reddit :D

Allard

I wouldn't touch 1-50 with current jobs let alone new jobs.

I... I actually am planning to subject myself to 1-50 for the new jobs. I really don't like the idea of learning the skills of a new job, especially abilities I don't have access to till I am lvl 60 all at once, so instead I use level 1-40 as a way to slowly learn the jobs mechanics one by one, I might skip lvl 41-50 though since I will likely be 58 or so after finishing floor 1-40. Once I have done that for both new jobs, at that point I am going to spam 51-60 till I get to lvl 60.

ebil

I'll spend 5-10 minutes hitting on our Faust dummy while arranging my hotbars, should be more than enough time to get acquainted with RDM for PoTD and dungeons.

Haly

I use 1-50 for current jobs to preview what they do and to get my hotbars in order. It's very difficult ordering hotbars when you have 30 binds at once. Getting them dripfed is much more comfortable.

iammeiam

I use 1-50 for current jobs to preview what they do and to get my hotbars in order. It's very difficult ordering hotbars when you have 30 binds at once. Getting them dripfed is much more comfortable.

I have the opposite problem and have queued into PotD 51 just so I can get crossbar layouts set up immediately that won't have to be constantly reshuffled as I actually level and get a new thing that needs to take priority over everything I already have. like if I'm going to get a 1-2-3 in 20 levels, I'd rather premap them all together before I start and begin muscle memory'ing stuff the way I think I'll continue. Plus most of the HW jobs started with skills that could be directly coordinated to layouts for jobs I already use, so half the buttons usually map to where I have the equivalent in another job.

Then maybe jump back to level one and have the buttons become active one at a time as I learn the skill, but I'm definitely in favor of getting to map everything to my expected final location all in one go.

Eh, Arm of the Destroyer is actually pretty useful if you use both Purification and Invigorate. I use it very frequently (when there are enough enemies, of course). I'd kill for abilities like One Ilm Punch being used more frequently though- the rotation hasn't changed much since 2.0, so Monk is starting to feel awfully stale.

Haly

Arm of the destroyer is good for that one Hunt in CNH.

Edzi

Ugh, been having fun with AST over the last couple days. Now I don't know which healer to focus on. -_-

On the bright side, I've finally started moving forward again with MSQs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom