• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 08•18-20•17 - Dolled up Deadpool & Nick Fury team up, get Logan (not that one)

Unfortunate for Logan Lucky, but I guess that's what happens when you try to market it to flyover states exclusively. Still I'm looking forward to that horror movie Sodenbergh's directing, should be good.

I totally forgot that Forest Whitaker directed Hope Floats.

He also made First Daughter, lol. For a while he actually wanted to be a filmmaker, but the failure of his last film First Daughter, pushed him back into sorely acting again. He hasn't made a film since then.

Just saw the eclipse, when i get my powers Kswiss and Principle shall be my horsemen

Who is this Principle that you speak of? I know not of him.

Me, I will just take over the local tavern and start a bookie business on the side. I mean, the cow races are coming up.

Slayven

Why haven't we gotten a sequel to Oculus?

Who is this Principle that you speak of? I know not of him.

Me, I will just take over the local tavern and start a bookie business on the side. I mean, the cow races are coming up.

I don't know why i can't remember name

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Why haven't we gotten a sequel to Oculus?

I actually really liked that movie. But it's probably because Mike Flanagan has been so busy with other stuff. Oculus is his baby, all him up and down. He should probably find a director protege, pass off the sequel to them, and cash those producer checks. Get on that James Wan hustle.

Slayven

I actually really liked that movie. But it's probably because Mike Flanagan has been so busy with other stuff. Oculus is his baby, all him up and down. He should probably find a director protege, pass off the sequel to them, and cash those producer checks. Get on that James Wan hustle.

I want a sequal to that and Darkness

AndyVirus

Dunkirk top of the UK box office every day for over a month. Should end up in the all-time top 20 over here.

tumblr_m7jj2w28uK1rwpn15o26_r1_250.gif

Chamber

love on your sleeve
BoxOffice-GAF is about as dead as the actual box office.

Monday numbers from WB:

Annabelle: $1.65m
Dunkirk: $665k
WW: $130k

Wonder Woman numbers are still insane. Still comfortably above 100k on Day 81 with schools going back into session. Feeling pretty comfortable about this ending up at $410m+.

Bobby's not gonna like this.

This whole thing is weird because, so far as I can tell, WB hasn't told Stallone he can do any of this. He's just... doing it.

it adds this weird air of senile desperation to everything. Stallone isn't in any creative control of Creed, so far as I know.

GhaleonEB

Logan Lucky dropped nearly 6% in actuals, to $7.6m. Or about half what Soderbergh was hoping it would debut at in order to make money.

Not a great sign of things to come.

Sitting down for Lucky now. Has anyone here heard about a movie called The Square?

Cars 3 numbers from the late releases are coming next week, right?

kswiston

Sitting down for Lucky now. Has anyone here heard about a movie called The Square?

Cars 3 numbers from the late releases are coming next week, right?

Yes. Cars is releasing in China as well this weekend, but probably not to very much. Presales place it a distant third this weekend behind Valerian and Baby Driver.

Very early Dunkirk presales in China are also strong. Like well over $50M total strong, which would secure that $500M worldwide take. Some think that Dunkirk could break $100M in China, but it's too early for that level of optimism.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Logan Lucky dropped nearly 6% in actuals, to $7.6m. Or about half what Soderbergh was hoping it would debut at in order to make money.

Not a great sign of things to come.

He can't even pass the blame on this one. Soderbergh got to do his way and the response he wanted wasn't there. Although Hitman's Bodyguard probably ate his lunch a little bit.

kswiston

This weekend is going to be a disaster. I don't know if any of the openers are expected to break $5M.

Depending on Hitman's Bodyguard's drop, this weekend could have the lowest #1 finish for a weekend in August in over 20 years.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
This weekend is going to be a disaster. I don't know if any of the openers are expected to break $5M.

Depending on Hitman's Bodyguard's drop, this weekend could have the lowest #1 finish for a weekend in August in over 20 years.

IT doesn't come out until the 8th, Hitman's Bodyguard might 3peat. The box office is looking dire right now.

I like how BOM lists the widest opener on Labor Day weekend as getting a "moderate" release. Don't think I've ever seen that before.

Really weird how Hollywood sort of gave up on the last few weeks of the summer.

See, now I'm coming back around on the idea if Sony had dropped Baby Driver when it originally planned on it they'd be doing pretty damned well for themselves

I mean - the movie did really well where it was. Moving it obviously didn't hurt the thing.

But this August is a wasteland for the most part, and I just can't help but feel like that film would have had increased attention and legs if it had dropped now.

Miles X

A religious film called All Saints is expected to be at around $14.5m. A European film called Leap is predicted around $13m. Oh that's total. Yeah they're both below $5m.

Things are pretty dead, so...

The Best Movies of the Summer of 1987, Ranked
We didn’t realize it then, but the summer of 1987 was an all-timer, at least at the movies. Over three hot months, Hollywood released several films we still hold near and dear to our hearts today, whether we consider them timeless classics or beloved shlock.

Now, not all of those would fall under the io9 umbrella. (Films like Full Metal Jacket, The Untouchables, and Dirty Dancing are great, but really not our speed.) However, as the 30th anniversary of this amazing summer of movies comes to a close, we decided to rank the best scifi, fantasy, and other genre films released during June, July, and August of 1987.

Grizzlyjin

I know The Mummy just came out digitally guys,

But stay strong

Once more into the fray... Nah, I have zero desire to watch that movie again.

This August is absolutely terrible. Whole lot of nothing.

Top Bottom