• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 08•18-20•17 - Dolled up Deadpool & Nick Fury team up, get Logan (not that one)

xaosslug

hYZxMY6.jpg
mKZ37k4.jpg
BQ0GNZe.jpg
wNUV2Ki.jpg
UTrrQAr.jpg

tomatometer:
XsJrh.gif
39% The Hitman's Bodyguard
9wcOG.gif
67% Annabelle: Creation
kavuF.gif
93% Logan Lucky
8vteV.gif
93% Dunkirk
5f4ew.gif
11% The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Hitman's Bodyguard' Nabs No. 1, ‘Logan Lucky' Misfires

Without a superhero movie or new studio sequel in play, this weekend provided an opening for two smaller films to shine. But as the weekend draws to a close, one is beaming brighter than the other.

That title goes to Lionsgate's R-rated action comedy ”Hitman's Bodyguard," which is firing off to $21.6 million during its opening weekend at 3,377 locations. That's a solid opening, especially during a painful summer for the movie business and sleepy month of August. The final tally was fueled by an aggressive marketing push, and a trio of stars at the center — Samuel L. Jackson as a notorious hitman, and Salma Hayek as hit equally threatening wife, and Ryan Reynolds as a bodyguard. The film comes courtesy of director Patrick Hughes (”The Expendables 3") and writer Tom O'Connor.

”‘The Hitman's Bodyguard' is generating great word of mouth among moviegoers," said Lionsgate's distribution president David Spitz. ”It has a clear runway in the weeks ahead, and we expect it to play well right into September."

Meanwhile, ”Logan Lucky" — a critical darling from Steven Soderbergh and Bleecker Street — is sputtering. The heist comedy, which relied on an unconventional production and marketing strategy, looks to make $8 million this weekend from 3,031 theaters. The film was partially funded through foreign pre-sales and partnering with Amazon for streaming rights. The story — penned by Rebecca Blunt, who likely doesn't exist — centers on a trio of siblings played by Channing Tatum, Riley Keough, and Adam Driver, who attempt to pull off a massive robbery. It's set at the Coca-Cola 600 NASCAR race.

Of the two, ”Logan Lucky" fared better with critics, earning a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, as opposed to ”Hitman's Bodyguard," which has a 39%. But the roles are reversed when it comes to audience reception — ”Hitman's Bodyguard" has a B+ CinemaScore as opposed to ”Logan Lucky's" B.

In the end, ”Logan Lucky" will end up in third for the weekend behind the second weekend of ”Annabelle: Creation." The latest in the ”Conjuring" universe from Warner Bros. is targeting $15.5 million this weekend from 3,542 locations. The same studio has more cause to celebrate as ”Wonder Woman" crosses $800 million worldwide.

Outside of the wide releases, TWC continues its gradual rollout for Taylor Sheridan's ”Wind River." This weekend it looks to gross $3 million from 694 locations, raising its total cume past $4.1 million. A major acquisition at Sundance, ”Patti Cake$" is struggling to find an audience with $66,000 from 14 locations.

More to come...

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

far aside: because of what happened in the last thread I don't want peeps to feel they have to hold their tongues! If you don't like the thread title feel free to express yourselves, and I'll stay ignoring y'all.
NVzGNTD.gif

So Spider-Man Homecoming is now more than $52 million above The Amazing Spider-Man 1 and $112 million above The Amazing Spider-Man 2 final LTD. It should easily pass $320 million at this rate.

Meanwhile Annabelle sequel is tracking higher than the original film despite opening lower.

I like this thread title

Soderbergh's experiment in distribution seems to have not quite worked the way he wanted, and I'm wondering if it's due to the clause where he had 100% control of the marketing. Although I enjoyed the trailer I saw - I do wonder if maybe he had turned the marketing over to an outside company if the opening weekend might have gotten to the 15mil he said he needed to clear profit.

But then again, word of mouth is really good. So who knows, maybe it'll leg its way to that profit he's hoping for.

kswiston

Worldwide Updates:

Despicable Me 3 - $948M
Wonder Woman - $800M
Spider-Man Homecoming - $725M
Transformers 5 - $601M
Dunkirk - $392M
War for the Planet of the Apes - $326M
Cars 3 - $308M
Baby Driver - $175M
Annabelle Creation - $161M

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The story — penned by Rebecca Blunt, who likely doesn’t exist — centers on a trio of siblings...

I love this bit.

The marketing for Logan Lucky scared me away. If I wasn't familiar with the director and didn't keep up reviews, I'd have totally written it off.

kswiston

So Hitman's Bodyguard did pretty well given the budget and movie type.

The next few weeks are dead, so it should at least pass $50M domestic. It could be quite a bit higher with a good hold next weekend.

I look forward to seeing Logan Lucky, it sounds great even though Soderbergh is hit or miss with me.
But this is yet another proof that Craig just can't open a movie at all outside of Bond. No wonder he's making another one.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I look forward to seeing Logan Lucky, it sounds great even though Soderbergh is hit or miss with me.
But this is yet another proof that Craig just can't open a movie at all outside of Bond. No wonder he's making another one.

Craig looks happier in Logan Lucky than he has since Layer Cake.

JohnDrake

I was expecting 16-16.5M for Annabelle after the Friday number but oh well. The Saturday jumps seem to have been crap for everything. Dunkirk couldn't even do 7M. The 200M dream is dead and buried.

Not even with weak competition and still over 3.000 theaters The Dark Tower can muster a good hold. Solid expansion for Wind River, it totally deserves it.

Worldwide Updates:

Despicable Me 3 - $948M
Wonder Woman - $800M
Spider-Man Homecoming - $725M
Transformers 5 - $601M
Dunkirk - $392M
War for the Planet of the Apes - $326M
Cars 3 - $308M
Baby Driver - $175M
Annabelle Creation - $161M
Thanks Kswinton. What's the latest on Wolf warrior 2?

tonka

Baby driver appearing next to detroit there with nominally the same budget must be an unpleasant feeling for those money men.
Although it's probably safe to say they had differing expectations.
Any further idea on that Chinese baby driver bo?

kswiston

Wolf Warrior 2 has made around $764M in China, and has now passed Avatar to become the second largest single territory gross of all time.

Toa TAK

Banned
Gah. Feel bad for not checking out Logan Lucky sooner. Been looking forward to it as I was sold on the trailer alone.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So funny to remember how tainted the Batman franchise was that Batman Begins doesn't make this list.

PS. Nice thread title.

Batman Begins was the 59th highest grossing film of all time when it ended it's run, now it's 170th. 200 mil used to be a big run.

200mil still is, really. It's just a matter of the perspective being used.

a movie crossing 200mil is still notable, especially if the content of the film, the story behind the making of the film, the size of the film, or the legs of the film are notable in and of themselves.

Dunkirk hitting 200mil would have been remarkable. Logan crossing 200mil is remarkable.

Hell, Girls Night and Baby Driver clearing 100mil is a story.

kswiston

In light of Wolf Warrior 2 passing Avatar's Domestic take, here's a fun chart:

Code:
[B]First film to:		Domestic Box Office		Domestic B.O. Initial run	Chinese Box Office[/B]
$100M			Sound of Music (before 1970)	Jaws (1977)			Avatar (2010)
$200M			Jaws (Before 1978)		Star Wars (1978)		Avatar (2010)
$300M			Star Wars (Before 1982)		E.T. (1982)			Transformers 4 (2014)
$400M			Star Wars (1997 re-release)	Titanic (1998)			The Mermaid (2016)
$500M			Titanic (1998)			Titanic (1998)			The Mermaid (2016)
$600M			Titanic (1998)			Titanic (1998)			Wolf Warrior 2 (2017)
$700M			Avatar (2010)			Avatar (2010)			Wolf Warrior 2 (2017)
$800M			The Force Awakens (2016)	The Force Awakens (2016)	Probably Wolf Warrior 2
$900M			The Force Awakens (2016)	The Force Awakens (2016)	N/A

Cipherr

So Spider-Man Homecoming is now more than $52 million above The Amazing Spider-Man 1 and $112 million above The Amazing Spider-Man 2 final LTD. It should easily pass $320 million at this rate.

Internationally it still has China to go too. Assuming it does even half of what GotG did and pulls 50m that would be $785 mill worldwide, with a shot at $800m WW depending on China's final tally.

I dunno, the painting of this movies performance as lukewarm and disappointing really confuses me.

kswiston

Spider-Man will make at least $100M in China. All of the MCU films except GotG1 have hit that mark since Iron Man 3, and GotG1 made it to $95M.

Falchion

I didn't to see the Hitman's Bodyguard because I'm waiting for my Moviepass card. That'll be the first thing I try to go see with it.

Internationally it still has China to go too. Assuming it does even half of what GotG did and pulls 50m that would be $785 mill worldwide, with a shot at $800m WW depending on China's final tally.

I dunno, the painting of this movies performance as lukewarm and disappointing really confuses me.
It also has Japan where it should do $20 to $30 million so more than $800 million is locked at this point.

Spider-Man will make at least $100M in China. All of the MCU films except GotG1 have hit that mark since Iron Man 3, and GotG1 made it to $95M.
The Iron Man cameo should also work well for China. $100 million is easy.

Sorcerer

Haven't all the Bond's had this problem during their tenure? Maybe Brosnan was the exception?

blakep267

This past week every other commercial I saw on TV was for Hitmans bodyguard, so it better open at #1. That marketing budget must be pretty high(for this type of movie)

Sorcerer

This past week every other commercial I saw on TV was for Hitmans bodyguard, so it better open at #1. That marketing budget must be pretty high(for this type of movie)

I think the movie is going to do okay. It at least made back most of its production budget in one weekend.

Top Bottom