• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having attended Bradenton Academy and played for our U-17s do you think there is any chance he would jump ship for... El Salvador?

Pretty sure I watched my local soccer team play him. Mississippi Brilla. We play Bradenton every year.

As El Salvador knocked us out of the Olympics in Nashville (I was there).... Who knows? I mean the guys on the field that night would be his future teammates right? Both sides.

***EDIT*** Guess I should clarify on the first line. I was just saying it's cool that I get to see alot of our future U.S. guys play every year.

xbhaskarx

He retired from the USMNT long ago but Brad Friedel is on the bench for Tottenham today, ending his Premier League record of 310 consecutive games started. One game after the Spurs won at ManU for the first time in 23 years, which seems like weird timing....

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
How many defensive midfielders does everybody think will be on the roster announced today? It will be too many like always. Eddie Johnson is supposedly called up while I assume Pontius is still ignored. Shea and Donovan are injured.

Nesotenso

How many defensive midfielders does everybody think will be on the roster announced today? It will be too many like always. Eddie Johnson is supposedly called up while I assume Pontius is still ignored. Shea and Donovan are injured.

I think Jones is injured as well. Grant Wahl says Jozy might not be called up which seems ridiculous. I long for the day guys like Beckerman and Edu will fall by the wayside.

gutshot

With a healthy Bradley and a match-fit Dempsey, I like our chances better this time around. Confused as to why Altidore isn't getting called up though.

http://m.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-Nat...e-for-Critical-FIFA-World-Cup-Qualifiers.aspx

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION
GOALKEEPERS (3) : Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS (8) : Carlos Bocanegra (Racing Santander), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Maurice Edu (Stoke City), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Parkhurst (Nordsjaelland)
MIDFIELDERS (8) : Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Roma), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
FORWARDS (5): Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Herculez Gomez (Santos), Alan Gordon (San Jose Earthquakes), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders)

No Jozy or Wondo

Nesotenso

USSOCCER.COM said:
U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION
GOALKEEPERS (3) : Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS (8) : Carlos Bocanegra (Racing Santander), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Maurice Edu (Stoke City), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Parkhurst (Nordsjaelland)
MIDFIELDERS (8) : Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Roma), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
FORWARDS (5): Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Herculez Gomez (Santos), Alan Gordon (San Jose Earthquakes), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders)

Boyd and Altidore didn't make it.

Nesotenso

JK probably left out Jozy after that interview where he said Jozy needs to work harder ( sentiment I agree with to a certain extent) and Jozy responded wit this tweet (which he deleted later, so that tells you a lot)

http://i.imgur.com/3AGjT.jpg

Here is hoping with Bradley back, Beckerman and Edu don't see the field.

xbhaskarx

Typical Klinsmann roster with obvious choices, a few decent picks, and a few WTF picks...

Not sure how Beckerman keeps getting called in no matter how he performs.
Not sure how Edu keeps getting called in even though he can't complete a pass with the national team and has barely played since joining Stoke City.
And I can't believe Alan Gordon and Eddie Johnson made it over Altidore, Wondolowski, Boyd, etc.

JK probably left out Jozy after that interview where he said Jozy needs to work harder ( sentiment I agree with to a certain extent) and Jozy responded wit this tweet (which he deleted later, so that tells you a lot)

3AGjT.jpg

I didn't know about this. I may agree with Jozy but that was probably not a smart idea... leave the bitching about Klinsmann's incompetence to the fans

Altidore's brilliant goal for anyone who hasn't seen it yet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnepAMwvOKA

Klinsmann's comments are so f'ing ridiculous considering he uses three (and at times four) defensive midfielders at a time...

Nesotenso

Typical Klinsmann roster with obvious choices, a few decent picks, and a few WTF picks...

Not sure how Beckerman keeps getting called in no matter how he performs.
Not sure how Edu keeps getting called in even though he can't complete a pass with the national team and has barely played since joining Stoke City.
And I can't believe Alan Gordon and Eddie Johnson made it over Altidore, Wondolowski, Boyd, etc.

That tells you a lot about Edu. I wish the guy does well but Stoke is one of the ugliest teams to watch in the EPL. No one can pass for shit.

No matter what the disagreement Altidore and Boyd should have been called in for must win matches.

xbhaskarx

Aside from Beckerman (we're playing two weak teams, instead of stocking up on DMs why not give Pontius a shot?) I really like the midfield, as long as only two out of Bradley/Williams/Jones/Beckerman are out there at any given time...

xbhaskarx

Grant Wahl: Altidore's absence from World Cup qualifiers roster simply shocking
Coach Jurgen Klinsmann left forward Jozy Altidore off his squad for the U.S.'s two important upcoming World Cup qualifiers, a decision that may well be the most surprising of Klinsmann's 14-month tenure.

It's true that Altidore has not had a standout year for the U.S., providing no goals and one assist in two starts and four substitute appearances. With Hérculez Gómez and Clint Dempsey expected to start up top in Friday's qualifier at Antigua and Barbuda, it would not have been surprising to see Altidore come off the bench as a second-half sub. But for Altidore to be omitted entirely from the 24-man squad is a shock. (Pure forwards Gómez, Eddie Johnson and Alan Gordon are on the roster instead.)

After all, Altidore, 22, is tied for the Dutch league lead in goals with eight for AZ Alkmaar, including a terrific slaloming strike Sept. 30. The World Cup 2010 veteran has also played in a team-leading 17 straight World Cup qualifiers for the U.S. and brings big-game experience to the table. Under Klinsmann, the U.S. has scored more than one goal just three times in the coach's 18 games, which makes you wonder why he would leave the U.S.' most prolific European-based goal-scorer at the moment off the squad.

"I communicated with Jozy that I was not happy about his latest performances with us, maybe over the last 14 months," Klinsmann said Monday. "Jozy can do much, much better. The reason why he's not coming in is mainly about his performances at Jamaica and at home [last month], also in training. Also certain things that went on through the May-June camp. So we decided to bring in Eddie Johnson and Alan Gordon and give them a chance to show they've improved. They're both doing really well in MLS now."

What's more, Klinsmann reiterated last Thursday that club performance would matter in his roster selection. "It is really crucial when it gets down to World Cup Qualifiers when you put your roster together that you look at their individual schedule: who is in full swing, who is struggling getting games in, who is spending too much time on the bench," he told the U.S. Soccer website. "Going into these two decisive games we need to make sure they are all at 100 percent."

Yet club form doesn't really appear to matter much when it comes to Klinsmann's picks at forward. You may think Gómez deserves to start his eighth straight U.S. game up top on Friday -- and I do, based on his play with the national team -- but his club form has been spotty of late with just one start in Santos Laguna's last seven league games (on Saturday, when Gómez picked up a goal).

When I asked Klinsmann about his club form comment and how it relates to Altidore and Gómez, he said: "I think [club form] is absolutely important. Now it looks a little bit different in Jozy's case because he's doing well with Alkmaar, and he's scoring goals. But he hasn't done well with us in the last couple of camps. That's why I have more trust for these upcoming two games in Eddie Johnson and Alan Gordon."
http://mmoqq.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/scanner.gif

shoplifter

I'm fine with leaving him out. Jozy needed a wake up call, he needs to stop being so god damned lazy when he gets called in. If he's going to bitch and moan, leave him out again.

Slizz

I'm fine with leaving him out. Jozy needed a wake up call, he needs to stop being so god damned lazy when he gets called in. If he's going to bitch and moan, leave him out again.

Truth.

He never works as hard for the National team and it's really disappointing. I was at the game in Miami for Jurgen's first win an he was embarrassing, especially since he bought like 500 tickets for his family since he's a South Fla. local.

I agree with not letting him play.... But at least call his ass in to camp. He needs to at least train with the guys.

Tell him you want to see 100 percent in training.

100% THIS. if you scream for jozy's inclusion and do not understand this concept, please go elsewhere. a coach being a man and stepping up and holding to his guns? thank god! I've been so disappointing tin jozy's effort for years now. walks around or jogs everywhere. I'm super happy his play with AZ has been much improved but he still needs to hit another level of being a professional. JK will teach him that, jozy just needs to listen.

Clydefrog

So when/if we win this Friday, we'll need at least a tie against Guatemala to progress?

I don't know if I'll be able to watch the Guatemala game. So much at stake.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
how the hell is Jozy out of your list?? total mind fuck there. and now donovan and shea aka the next ronaldo is out too?? well there's always that one dude wondlowski.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom