• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
eNciQuZ.jpg

Acid08

Banned
I know at least Auron might be interested in this but more Bay gaffers could be too!

Big Wow Comicfest in SJ is coming up in May, anyone ever gone before? Impressions? Since Anaheim is stealing Wondercon again this year this looks like the only option for a comic convention in the area.

Credo

Hey BayGAF. I've considered moving out there sometime in the near future, and I have a question for you all.

I'm going to list a few towns/neighborhoods. Could you give me a summary of the areas, including safety/crime, entertainment and things to do, reputation of the area, etc.? I've looked at home prices in the following areas and should be able to get a lower/mid-tier or mid-tier place, not a dump but nothing outstanding. If you have time to respond to my post, then thanks in advance.

The places I'm interested in are:
Pacifica
Daly City
South San Francisco
San Mateo
San Rafael
Novato

Also, if you have anything else to say about living in or around the Bay, I'd definitely appreciate it. And again, if you have time to reply to this, then thank you!

I know at least Auron might be interested in this but more Bay gaffers could be too!

Big Wow Comicfest in SJ is coming up in May, anyone ever gone before? Impressions? Since Anaheim is stealing Wondercon again this year this looks like the only option for a comic convention in the area.

Dude, I keep meaning to go one of these years as Derrick keeps mentioning it... I think I forget because of Fanime is also in May, but meh, I might just go to Big Wow anyways this year.

Easy_G

Hey BayGAF. I've considered moving out there sometime in the near future, and I have a question for you all.

I'm going to list a few towns/neighborhoods. Could you give me a summary of the areas, including safety/crime, entertainment and things to do, reputation of the area, etc.? I've looked at home prices in the following areas and should be able to get a lower/mid-tier or mid-tier place, not a dump but nothing outstanding. If you have time to respond to my post, then thanks in advance.

Pacifica
Daly City
South San Francisco
San Mateo
San Rafael
Novato

Also, if you have anything else to say about living in or around the Bay, I'd definitely appreciate it. And again, if you have time to reply to this, then thank you!

First off I would say all of these places are safe.

Pacifica: Nice little town on the coast, but there isnt much there to do and it becomes harder to commute out of it. Foggy and cold.

Daly City/South San Francisco: Very similar towns that blend together as far as I'm concerned. They get as much fog as the west side of SF, which is a lot. Not much to do outside of a mall. Very high philipino population (the highest density outside of the phillipines. Good or bad it's worth mentioning). Easy access to SF, especially through bart.

San Mateo: Has a nice downtown with restaurants and theater. Doesn't have bart, but there is the commuter train that goes to SF. Weather is very mild and warm.

San Rafael: It's in marin which is a wealthy county. The city itself has a pretty nice downtown with shops and restaurants. Only way to get to SF is on the freeway, which can be bad. Similar weather to San Mateo.

Novato: Never had a reason to stop here, but it's more remote then San Rafael. Will be a bit warmer then San Rafael as well. A little smaller and thus less going on.

Credo

First off I would say all of these places are safe.

Pacifica: Nice little town on the coast, but there isnt much there to do and it becomes harder to commute out of it. Foggy and cold.

Daly City/South San Francisco: Very similar towns that blend together as far as I'm concerned. They get as much fog as the west side of SF, which is a lot. Not much to do outside of a mall. Very high philipino population (the highest density outside of the phillipines. Good or bad it's worth mentioning). Easy access to SF, especially through bart.

San Mateo: Has a nice downtown with restaurants and theater. Doesn't have bart, but there is the commuter train that goes to SF. Weather is very mild and warm.

San Rafael: It's in marin which is a wealthy county. The city itself has a pretty nice downtown with shops and restaurants. Only way to get to SF is on the freeway, which can be bad. Similar weather to San Mateo.

Novato: Never had a reason to stop here, but it's more remote then San Rafael. Will be a bit warmer then San Rafael as well. A little smaller and thus less going on.

Thanks for the info! Are there any places around the Bay that should be avoided? I just saw a thread mentioning that Oakland's police force can't handle all the crime, so I imagine that's a no-go.

By the way, answers from others are still very much welcome and appreciated.

Easy_G

Thanks for the info! Are there any places around the Bay that should be avoided? I just saw a thread mentioning that Oakland's police force can't handle all the crime, so I imagine that's a no-go.

By the way, answers from others are still very much welcome and appreciated.

My girlfriend lived in Oakland for a year before we moved in together in SF. If it were more convenient for my job, I would much rather live in Oakland. Northern Oakland (Temescal & Rockridge neighborhoods) is great and fairly safe. Lots of the same perks of SF (food, culture, fun) without the overcrowding.

Richmond and Vallejo can be sort of dodgy. Some places in Hayward aren't the best either.

For SF and Oakland specifically use these sites if you're curious:
http://oakland.crimespotting.org/
http://www.crimemapping.com/map/ca/sanfrancisco (EDIT: original site I posted doesn't seem to work anymore)

I also have to say that the Peninsula can be really good. Namely, any city between Burlingame and Palo Alto. If you can find a place near a Caltrain station it is incredibly easy to get to SF. And most of these cities have new and thriving downtowns which are fun.

Kermy

Pacifica
Daly City
South San Francisco
San Mateo
San Rafael
Novato

Are you going to be working in the city? Makes a big difference as to where I would stay considering the commute. Out of the listed cities, I personally would choose Daly City or parts of SSF depending on distance to the nearest BART station. San Mateo is a little far to be commuting into the city unless you're close to the Cal Train station.

Pacifica, San Rafael and Novato is a little too remote for my tastes. Pacifica gets way too foggy, though you can say the same for parts of Daly City.

XiaNaphryz

Richmond and Vallejo can be sort of dodgy. Some places in Hayward aren't the best either.

Vallejo's a lot less dodgy than Richmond - just need to stay out of a few specific areas, and then a few more areas at late hours. Grew up in Vallejo and actually live there now. ;P

Solano County is nicknamed Commuter Country for a reason though. Usually takes me 45 min to get to work every day, w/ no traffic. On really bad days it takes me 90-120 min to get home.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Vallejo's a lot less dodgy than Richmond - just need to stay out of a few specific areas, and then a few more areas at late hours. Grew up in Vallejo and actually live there now. ;P

Solano County is nicknamed Commuter Country for a reason though. Usually takes me 45 min to get to work every day, w/ no traffic. On really bad days it takes me 90-120 min to get home.

Yeah, I live in Glen Cove in Vallejo and it is fine. City services and emergency services are laughably bad though.

XiaNaphryz

Yeah, I live in Glen Cove in Vallejo and it is fine. City services and emergency services are laughably bad though.

Still recovering from that whole bankruptcy thing, so its to be expected. Things are going better than back then though!

Credo

Are you going to be working in the city? Makes a big difference as to where I would stay considering the commute. Out of the listed cities, I personally would choose Daly City or parts of SSF depending on distance to the nearest BART station. San Mateo is a little far to be commuting into the city unless you're close to the Cal Train station.

Pacifica, San Rafael and Novato is a little too remote for my tastes. Pacifica gets way too foggy, though you can say the same for parts of Daly City.

Yeah, it will most likely be in the city. From the little bit of research I've done, I remember seeing bits about the fog affecting certain neighborhoods worse than others, so thanks for that mentioning that.

I'd really like to be close to the BART or any other bus or train, but it's not a total dealbreaker. If anyone else reading the thread has any suggestions for good areas around the Bay, then please feel free to comment!

And thanks, EasyG, Kermy, Devolution, and others who have responded!

I'd say Richmond is more than sort of dodgy.

Yep, Richmond looks almost exactly like South Central in some places. Shit's bleak.

@Credo: Berkeley and Oakland are both pretty rad if you live if you choose a good neighborhood. My girlfriend and I are moving back to the East Bay in a month or two and we'll be choosing between those two cities.

sca2511

I might be attending CSU East Bay at the end of the year. Coming from San Jose/Morgan Hill, what would be the best way to get there?

I might be attending CSU East Bay at the end of the year. Coming from San Jose/Morgan Hill, what would be the best way to get there?

You have two options:

1. IF you have a car and coming from San Jose, I'd recommend taking I-880 N. It's about a 30 minute drive.

2. Take the 181 bus in san jose to Fremont, then take the Fremont/Richmond Bart to East bay.

I attend SJSU and am planning on going to AX.... I was wondering if FanimeCon was more of the same or if it offers a different experience. Any suggestions?

I attend SJSU and am planning on going to AX.... I was wondering if FanimeCon was more of the same or if it offers a different experience. Any suggestions?

I go to both and I say that Fanime is similar to AX but on a smaller scale. Usually most of the guests who go to Fanime have either gone to AX prior are smaller-named guests. Most of the stuff you can buy at Fanime will be available at AX, but not vice-versa.

If anything, Fanime is definitely more of a meet-up with friends type of thing.

Credo

Thank you all for the responses. Keep them coming if you have any kind of advice!

The few people around here that I've mentioned this to think I'm crazy for wanting to move, but I've just gotten tired of living here, and I've always thought of California as a place I'd like to live one day.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Thank you all for the responses. Keep them coming if you have any kind of advice!

The few people around here that I've mentioned this to think I'm crazy for wanting to move, but I've just gotten tired of living here, and I've always thought of California as a place I'd like to live one day.

I'm not sure of the housing prices, but Berkeley seems to have nice weather and pretty decent access to BART, as well as some decent things to do downtown.

Yeah, it will most likely be in the city. From the little bit of research I've done, I remember seeing bits about the fog affecting certain neighborhoods worse than others, so thanks for that mentioning that.

I'd really like to be close to the BART or any other bus or train, but it's not a total dealbreaker. If anyone else reading the thread has any suggestions for good areas around the Bay, then please feel free to comment!

And thanks, EasyG, Kermy, Devolution, and others who have responded!

I can vouch that North Berkeley is great, and we have our own BART station. Safe, great sense of community, Monterey Market, Ghourmet Ghetto... Hard to beat.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Shattuck is a great street for food and drinks too. I love Berkeley. Cheese board, Zachary's (sort of Berkeley), Triple Rock, Jupiter, Bowl'd, lots of good stuff.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Heads up: people *hate* it when you say San Fran.

SF, San Francisco, or you're a tourist.

Shattuck is a great street for food and drinks too. I love Berkeley. Cheese board, Zachary's (sort of Berkeley), Triple Rock, Jupiter, Bowl'd, lots of good stuff.
Yum, Bowl'd. =D
Heads up: people *hate* it when you say San Fran.

SF, San Francisco, or you're a tourist.
Or 'the city' ... I didn't understand/like it until I moved here, now I find myself using it all the time.
Also a stone's throw away from Solano ave with even more delicious options.

Yes! God, I've gained so much weight since moving here. =|

Yum, Bowl'd. =D

Or 'the city' ... I didn't understand/like it until I moved here, now I find myself using it all the time.

Yes! God, I've gained so much weight since moving here. =|

Portland is even more foodie mode. I haven't gained weight though, if I had more money I sure would. Ffffffffffff.

BIGWORM

All my family lives in the bay area. Specifically Vallejo, Fairfield/Suisun, Alameda, and Hayward. I hate them all because I'm stuck in cencal. =(

Cheska

DUDE! Thank you for bringing this up, didn't even know it existed. Even better, it's on my birthday! :D WOOHOO!

PS, anyone else from Contra Costa county?

DUDE! Thank you for bringing this up, didn't even know it existed. Even better, it's on my birthday! :D WOOHOO!

PS, anyone else from Contra Costa county?

Formerly of Contra Costa but now part of Alameda. You're in Brentwood, right? I think you said that in the Fire Emblem thread.

Yeeeep! Good ole' hole in the dirt Brentwood. Actually, it could be worse lol

Dude, I lived in Antioch. :p

Parents decided to move to Pleasanton just before Antioch went straight down the crapper (we moved in 2005, after I graduated from college). So glad they did...

Cheska

yea could be worse, could be exiled out here in the valley right now like me.

Exactly :(

Dude, I lived in Antioch. :p

Parents decided to move to Pleasanton just before Antioch went straight down the crapper (we moved in 2005, after I graduated from college). So glad they did...

:O I lived in Antioch too!! For like 10 years lol. I work at a vet hospital there now but we do most of our shipping in the Pleasant Hill area. It's just so bad there now :(

:O I lived in Antioch too!! For like 10 years lol. I work at a vet hospital there now but we do most of our shipping in the Pleasant Hill area. It's just so bad there now :(

Cool and yep. I still have some family that lives out there but most of my extended family live in San Ramon, Pleasanton & Daly City. Last time I was in Antioch recently, I was glad that we lived closer to Brentwood but driving past my high school was downright depressing (I went to Deer Valley). :(

Cheska

CC is okay and shit all at the same time. Depends on what city you're talking about.

It's totally shit. My boyfriend and I are considering moving to Oregon for the cooler weather and nicer people.

Cool and yep. I still have some family that lives out there but most of my extended family live in San Ramon, Pleasanton & Daly City. Last time I was in Antioch recently, I was glad that we lived closer to Brentwood but driving past my high school was downright depressing (I went to Deer Valley). :(

ME TOOOOO!

ME TOOOOO!

No way?! I was class 2000 (lol) and was there from 1996 (freshman year, school opening) till 2000. Then I was at UCSC from 2000 until 2004; mom wanted to move to Pleasanton to be closer to work (she worked for AT&T).

But yeah, from high school onward, I spent so much time in San Ramon/Danville/Pleasanton that I knew it better than Antioch by that point.

Still, it's so depressing seeing such a great school turn out as it is now. :(

Top Bottom