• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Hellers

Any word on Last.fm integration?

I won't even consider switching Spotify for Apple Music if I can't scrobble to Last.fm, but I haven't found any information regarding this.

On the desktop side unless last.fm tweak their desktop app to support it I suspect you`re out of luck. I seriously doubt Apple are going to do it. Especially on iOS devices. It`d probably already have been announced by now if it was going to happen

FerranMG

On the desktop side unless last.fm tweak their desktop app to support it I suspect you`re out of luck. I seriously doubt Apple are going to do it. Especially on iOS devices. It`d probably already have been announced by now if it was going to happen

Yeah, that's what I suspect. :(

I'm out of touch with how Last.fm works with iTunes. Didn't it use to work just fine?
And won't Apple Music work through iTunes?

hidys

Yeah, that's what I suspect. :(

I'm out of touch with how Last.fm works with iTunes. Didn't it use to work just fine?
And won't Apple Music work through iTunes?

It wasn't working for a while but it is currently working fine with the scrobbler.

I don't think anyone knows if it will work until they try the new version.

So hyped. Sorry Spotify, it was real while it lasted.

Hopefully there's an import tool, but I honestly wouldn't mind just zoning and rebuilding my playlists during my lunch break tomorrow.

Do we know if it's launching only in USA today or worldwide? Because all other Apple sites except US one say "Coming Soon" and not June 30th.

jts

...hate me...
Do we know if it's launching only in USA today or worldwide? Because all other Apple sites except US one say "Coming Soon" and not June 30th.
That is a concern, but I believe it may have something to do with timezones (meaning a different day in different countries) and so they just decided to simplify the information.

They did announce the service would launch in over 100 countries...

My US account is at the ready in any case.

kulapik

Hope there's a way to listen to Beats 1 without having to install iTunes for us no iOS users. Like, an external link or something.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I bought 1989 for 99p in a Google Play sale a while ago

Dm4bSO0.jpg

Apple Music will have to be very special to pull me away from Google Play Music. I can see the benefit of a tightly integrated system though. Especially on phones but the actual announcement of the service was so hilariously fake that even the music industry guy they got to do the announcement obviously couldn't believe what he was saying :)

I've never had much luck with itunes match though. If I switched mine back on now a load of playlists will appear that I can't actually delete. They just come back next time match syncs. Don't even get me started on wiping the entire match cloud library in order to start again.

Google play music seems very similar. I just started a two month free trial because Apple Music isn't on android yet and I have an android phone. I had previously uploaded all my local music to Google's free proposition (they let you stream your own stuff plus mixes based on your tracks for free). I might try apple music on my ipad though.

Also, Google play music has a web app so I can listen to music anywhere - I think apple music is only via the itunes app on PC?

Ninja Dom

I'm excited for this. I had a Spotify Premium account through Vodafone UK for 6 months in 2013.

I was a bit annoyed with it. Obscure hip-hop was hard to find. Some standard and classic hip-hop albums had tracks missing. It was as if the music I was listening to was uploaded by users themselves instead of coming from the record companies.

Anyway, UK here so I'm patiently waiting. I've got a few things to update once it launches as I'm a big Apple user.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why am I hype about this GAF? The Apple Music keynote sucked and I love Spotify. But now I am so hype

because it is Apple and you hope it'll redefine something, even though that thing is already fine (spotify), and what Apple are proposing doesn't sound that different?

lenos16

This is iTunes we`re talking about :)

True, Apple does have a better track record than Spotify, still though early iTunes versions on Windows wasn't exactly well programmed either. Will try out the three months trial period anyway, the music library on the Apple store is just too tempting for me.

Chittagong

Gold Member
because it is Apple and you hope it'll redefine something, even though that thing is already fine (spotify), and what Apple are proposing doesn't sound that different?

I think you are right. Maybe I am looking to bounce back from my Apple Watch hangover

Xater

I hate the Spotify clients. So yeah for me it is basically about Apple not fucking that up. It will probably also integrate better with m using a Mac and an iPhone. IF that end works I am good to go.

Silentium

Are we even sure Apple Music is gonna work on Windows yet? I think that will be on fall along with Android.
Windows is listed in the same way Mac is, so I presume the Windows version of iTunes will receive an Apple Music update at launch tomorrow.
gGoph6n.png

Windows Phone? I doubt support will ever arrive.

Majine

Banned
I wish users could see each other, and you can see what your friends are listening to etc. That was in Ping, wasn't it?

Mitch

Banned
Can't say I'm sold right now, but this is coming from someone who normally doesn't listen to a lot of music throughout the day. I typically throw up a "usual" playlist on Spotify when working out via the web player (free, mind you).

Maybe this is the perfect opportunity to expand my library. The 3 month free trial is killer, though. Gives people a lot of time to figure out whether or not they want to become a paid member.

giga

Rolling Stone review: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/apple-music-everything-you-need-to-know-20150630

The Verdict: With its vast selection of music and smartly curated playlists and radio, Apple Music is robust enough to compete with, and possibly supplant, Spotify and Pandora as the go-to service for music fans. At the same time, users will need to play around with it a bit and dig to move past some of the less immediately intuitive facets (i.e., just how deep the "New" tab goes) for it to hook them.

Gonna have to be pretty special to pull me away from Google Music All Access.

Eh, probably not. That really cheap family plan is probably gonna do it.

From that Rolling Stone piece:

It will also run non-celeb-curated shows, including Lowe's The World Record, in which the DJ picks the one song he feels everyone must listen to that day, Monday through Thursday. Gratitude will highlight an artist talking about another musician that influenced them (First up: Nas on Eric B. and Rakim's Paid in Full and Miranda Lambert on a to-be-announced Allison Moorer LP.) There's also a Chart show which, when the worldwide release day takes effect for the music business (shifting from Tuesday to Friday), will reflect what music, movies and TV are coming out in the week ahead.

But even the artists have taken steps to make their music shows interesting. Most notable, perhaps, is St. Vincent, whose Mixtape Delivery Service finds her listening to notes from fans and dedicating an hour-long selection of songs catered to them. In one show, an 11-year-old girl made a recording noting her St. Vincent fandom and how she holds her own singing parties at night. The singer played Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence," New Order's "Blue Monday" and Deee-Lite's "Groove Is in the Heart" and even chatted with the fan.

Meanwhile, Queens of the Stone Age frontman Josh Homme's Alligator Hour spins Grinderman and Roky Erickson amid his ruminations on the relationships between those artists' music and human aspirations. Dr. Dre's The Pharmacy will highlight his mixes that reflect his eclectic interests as he explains what the songs mean to him now and throughout his life, along with commentary from DJ Pooh. And Elton John's Rocket Hour will show the singer-songwriter's surprisingly diverse and current taste.

The downside to Beats 1 radio, at least for now, is that it really is radio in that these artist-curated programs will not be accessible after the fact as a podcast or on demand. Moreover, when the app launches, only a handful of shows will be listed on the Beats 1 homepage as part of a schedule, rather than something complete (though an Apple rep said the day would start with Chart, move to Lowe and then on to shows from London, New York and Los Angeles, before moving to artist programming at night). An Apple rep told Rolling Stone that the company wants people to tune in, ostensibly to build buzz as listeners attempt to figure out just what they're listening to. He did say, however, that on-demand programming will be available in the future.

Seems messy if there's no way to know what shows are upcoming.

Some of those artist shows (notably the St. Vincent one) sound amazing. Sounds annoying/weird that you can't listen to past shows on demand, but I'm hoping that's a feature they'll add with time.

Top Bottom