• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Number45

As a UK user, is there a way I can have access to music from Japn/Korea? That'll be the biggest selling point for me.
If that music is on the iTunes store and the artist/publisher have agreed to be a part of the service I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

I'm just worried about the quality of the application itself, since I haven't used any Apple software in about 5 years.

On Mac, it's wonderful, but I'm guessing you're on Windows. There, it's honestly still a little rough. Outside of a complete rewrite, a great candidate for a sandboxed "AppX" application on the Windows Store.

Missing a time schedule in the OP. iOS 8.4 in 30 minutes, Apple Music in 90 minutes and Beats 1 in 150 minutes?

Can you already sign up for the trial or will I have to wait until the server crash?

Futureman

I guess I can just use it in a few hours...

but if I don't care about all this social network stuff and curated playlists and just want to search an artist I know I want to listen to... it sounds like you just go to the "My Music" tab and search from there??

LCfiner

I guess I can just use it in a few hours...

but if I don't care about all this social network stuff and curated playlists and just want to search an artist I know I want to listen to... it sounds like you just go to the "My Music" tab and search from there??

Not sure bout that. “My Music” seems to be stuff you’ve already bought or stuff from the “store” that you’ve added to your library.

I think you need to search from the other tabs? Or may the search result from any tab brings up segmented results from both your library and apple music library?

we’ll find out soon

Things I learnt in this thread: People use web apps.

If I don't have to install another shitty piece of buggy, constantly updating a crashing piece of software on my Mac, I'm all the better for it.

I'd rather have a web client so that my library comes with me even if I don't want to log into iTunes at work (where I use my developer ID).

Missing a time schedule in the OP. iOS 8.4 in 30 minutes, Apple Music in 90 minutes and Beats 1 in 150 minutes?

Can you already sign up for the trial or will I have to wait until the server crash?

Yeah server crash seems inevitable as with every major iOS update. I'm taking the wait-and-see approach.

giga

Not sure bout that. “My Music” seems to be stuff you’ve already bought or stuff from the “store” that you’ve added to your library.

I think you need to search from the other tabs? Or may the search result from any tab brings up segmented results from both your library and apple music library?

we’ll find out soon
There's a persistent search button at the top and it searches both your library and Apple music.

Captain.Falafel

Neo Member
I'm still a little confused with the Apple Match part of the process. If you subscribe to Apple Music, will it match your iTunes library? Or do you have to purchase Apple Match separately.

If it's the former I am totally jumping ship from GPAAM.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
From that Rolling Stone piece:

Seems messy if there's no way to know what shows are upcoming.

a streaming radio service with no catch-up service, in 2015? Especially bad if they only have the one time zone, meaning we can't time shift for our own tastes without catchup, and no way to talk about what was on last night and go back to listen to it.

Things I learnt in this thread: People use web apps.

I work in an ad agency. Everyone uses the Spotify or Rdio web players. No one wants to deal with IT/HR to be able to install a bunch of hobby programs onto our work computers.

Additionally, Chromebooks are a solid, real sales, they've arrived, no longer "might be a thing" market. Web apps for Chromebooks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As a UK user, is there a way I can have access to music from Japn/Korea? That'll be the biggest selling point for me.

i hope the answer to this is yes, as that would be a killer feature for my wife. In theory with Family Sharing, you'd just need a Japanese itunes account linked up with your main account, with you paying (to avoid paying in Yen). Although I've not tried connecting cross-regional itunes accounts yet (I have my and my kids but we all have UK accounts)

Will try tomorrow if nobody figures it out by then.

Futureman

I work in an ad agency. Everyone uses the Spotify or Rdio web players. No one wants to deal with IT/HR to be able to install a bunch of hobby programs onto our work computers.

I work at a university that is super strict about installing stuff and for some reason... Spotify is downloadable and installable on work computers.

My guess is they got soooo many requests to install that they just made an exception.

I tried iTunes recently and it wouldn't let me. So yes a web app would be nice. Unless I'm super blown away, I'll probably just go back to Spotify free tier after the 3 month trial. Work is where I listen to Spotify 90% of the time.

Hedrush

I'm going to wait and see if the latest 8.3 jailbreak works with 8.4. Im still stuck on a jailbroken 6+ on 8.1.2. If it's not I'll just update to 8.3 and wait for the 8.4 jailbreak. I couldn't live without my tweaks and even tho im really excited for apple music i think i could get by without it for a bit.

Is the 3 month trial a permanent offer or is it only for a limited time?

Wiz

iOS has had gapless forever. And you add albums and other stuff in apple music to your "my music" tab by tapping the three dots next to the item.

How do you turn on gapless playback? That's a feature I love in Spotify and I don't see how to do it in iOS (checked Music settings and saw nothing)

Me too. Everyone uses Macs that have iTunes pre-installed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Assuming you're using a Mac, working at a place that allows you to get the newest version of iTunes, and don't already have the computer set up to work with a corporate Apple ID, then sure, Apple Music with iTunes as a desktop player will work great.

For the rest of us, web players are the shit.

Does the iPod classic even have WiFi built-in?

No. But one would assume you could do offline playlist transferring, like the Apple Watch can. It seems like a no-brainer for the iPod shuffle, but it's a no go.

Would seem smarter if they sent out the updates a couple hours at least in advance, not one hour. Seems risky. Unless it's a small delta update or they're really trying to test out their servers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
arse - itunes family sharing doesn't let you add users from other regions. So I can't add my wife's Japanese itunes account to my family sharing.

That means if she wants Japanese apple music it'll be two separate $10 subscriptions, or $10 + $15 to give my kids access too.

HUELEN10

arse - itunes family sharing doesn't let you add users from other regions. So I can't add my wife's Japanese itunes account to my family sharing.

That means if she wants Japanese apple music it'll be two separate $10 subscriptions, or $10 + $15 to give my kids access too.

To be expected, but a damned shame no less.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
To be expected, but a damned shame no less.

yeah. I have my fingers crossed they don't have any IP blocking - buying and downloading songs from the Japan itunes store works fine, but streaming may be different.

If this works, it may be enough to persuade my wife to get an iphone.

Another thing I learnt in this thread, people are really into it? I guess if its in the NA iTunes store it should be available for streaming?

If it isn't in your local store, you may be able to open a Korean/Japanese account and use that. It'd cost you another parallel subscription but I think that could be a profitable niche for Apple - big J/Kpop fans would not consider that a big barrier.

Would seem smarter if they sent out the updates a couple hours at least in advance, not one hour. Seems risky. Unless it's a small delta update or they're really trying to test out their servers.

They always seem to stagger their updates though. Not everyone will see the update immediately, is my guess.

Hoo-doo

Banned
If I don't have to install another shitty piece of buggy, constantly updating a crashing piece of software on my Mac, I'm all the better for it.

I'd rather have a web client so that my library comes with me even if I don't want to log into iTunes at work (where I use my developer ID).

This reads like someone that has never used iTunes.

Buggy? Constantly updating? Crashing? I don't know what you are using, but it sure as hell isn't iTunes 12.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I will love to had access to the japanese music

If Apple Music has more K-Pop than Spotify my daughter will make us switch for that reason alone. I hope they don't. :)

This alone would dead Spotify in a heartbeat and I dead will be singing another tune about Apple. This might even convince me to get an iPhone.

I've been listening to Japanese and K-Pop music on Itunes Radio for over a year, so I hope that stuff is streamable.

Also are they gimping Itunes Radio at all? Anyone know?

Is K-Pop really that popular in Europe/NA? Just asking.

I would say yes, it really did kind of jump it's way into popularity in 2007. For me, I have since jumped off the hallyu wave but I since I left, so much has happened and I want to catch up. It's hard searching through YouTube since so many new groups and artists have appeared by the dozens at a time and It hard to find to catch up to the newer songs over a somewhat of a years period from old groups that I'm a huge fan of.

K-Pop is all about the now and they don't, imo, have a service that curate it all into these Playlist with moods and discovery as well as other services do with American music etc. Kpop is huge for people who aren't in Korea or have access to their channels to get that music on demand so that would be a huge selling point for a lot of people.

kulapik

So how does Family Sharing work? Do you need the password of the other Apple IDs for it to work? Could a friend add me on his "family" even if I don't have an iPhone or a Mac?

I just want to be able to make smart playlists. Really hoping Apple allows us to have a little control over metadata like Google does.

Either way, I'm looking forward to trying it out.

pdk27

I listen to a European music and there is a lot of stuff that is on Spotify that isn't in the iTunes Music store in the US. Hopefully the Apple Music US library is larger than just whats in the US Store.

yeah, but all purchases go through the main users's card, so your friend probably wouldn't want to :)

Yeah I started testing this family plan with a friend, as of now it charges my card since I made the "Family" so that might defer you but we all have Venmo so I guess it all depends on how close you are to your friends.

Although I don't see their purchases on my account yet...

Top Bottom