• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banh Mi (Vietnamese Food)

Susurrus

I love these, got into them a few years ago, and still eat them periodically. I live a few hours from Paris, so whenever I go to Paris, I make sure to stop by prob the best Banh Mi place I've ever been to. Get them for now or later or both! Only a few euro a piece...

Thieng Heng: https://goo.gl/maps/mdrkDn9Mg8y

There's a lot of other good Vietnamese and Chinese food in that area, too. Ironically my favorite area of the city.

Luckily I live in Orange County, CA, where there is a Lee's Sandwiches every few miles no matter which direction you head in. Love me some BBQ Pork Bahn Mi's, though the crusty bread shreds the roof of my mouth

beat

I love a banh mi, but I can't stand cilantro. I try to ask for them to skip it, and I'll pick it out myself if I have to. (Side note: I have a theory that a mix of parsley and basil would hit most of the same bright and deep herbal notes as cilantro without tasting gross the way cilantro does.)

If your joint offers to add a fried egg to the sandwich, definitely get that.

After banh mis, my favorite sandwiches are tortas (esp torta cubanas, which are not like Cubans at all), and then Philly cheesesteaks, Reubens, and Cubans.

Nikodemos

You could probably replace cilantro with chervil for a subtler taste, though I don't think I've ever seen chervil used in food outside of some Cuisinne a l'Ancienne dishes.

black_13

Banned
I'll take a Bahn mi sandwich over subway anyday. But like anything it's a hit or miss depending on the place you get it at.

Tried it when I used to eat meat.
Out of interest, does anyone know if vegetarianism is common among the Vietnamese community?

Not that I know of. All traditional meals include some kind of meat/fish one way or another (fish sauce is almost everywhere, and when it's not it's prawn sauce).

As a counterpoint, my family is Buddhist, and that religion calls for being vegetarian at regular intervals. Monks are also vegetarian, and at family or religious functions, we needed to have a vegetarian option.

Also, one of my co-workers is vegan, and she said she had the easiest time food-wise in Vietnam, and also, when we were in Germany for gamescom, her best food option was the vegan Vietnamese place.

I'm in Vietnam right now and I've eaten some pretty solid banh mi here... The bread seems to be better than what I can get in the US (even in nyc where I live). On top of that I have yet to pay more than 25k vnd (like $1) for any of them. Got one today for $15k.

Ubername

Banned
I'm in Vietnam right now and I've eaten some pretty solid banh mi here... The bread seems to be better than what I can get in the US (even in nyc where I live). On top of that I have yet to pay more than 25k vnd (like $1) for any of them. Got one today for $15k.

Jesus that is cheap.

Top Bottom