• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Francisco food trucks beware - the Bacon Bacon truck is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
mentalward said:
I am co-founder of Kung Fu Tacos in SF and I am unsurprised by this news. Too many food trucks these days.

personal message: I enjoy your food truck and hope you do well.

I also agree with you that there's too many food trucks. Food trucks are even opening their own shops after success of launching food trucks. I think the only truck that I've had that started from it's own restaurant is Sam's Chowder Mobile. There was a delicious taco truck by the name of Mr. Taco about 15 years ago in San Jose. He did really well and tried to open up his own shop, but failed. He didn't even bother bringing back the original Mr. Taco truck :(

I haven't had Nom Nom down in SoCal, but by reading a lot about them and even seeing them on tv makes me want to punch those girls for not being able to pronounce their own ethnic food correctly.

Giant Robot said:
personal message: I enjoy your food truck and hope you do well.

I also agree with you that there's too many food trucks. Food trucks are even opening their own shops after success of launching food trucks. I think the only truck that I've had that started from it's own restaurant is Sam's Chowder Mobile. There was a delicious taco truck by the name of Mr. Taco about 15 years ago in San Jose. He did really well and tried to open up his own shop, but failed. He didn't even bother bringing back the original Mr. Taco truck :(

I haven't had Nom Nom down in SoCal, but by reading a lot about them and even seeing them on tv makes me want to punch those girls for not being able to pronounce their own ethnic food correctly.

Glad you like our food. We try to keep it simple and haven't evolved the menu much from where we started. Kinda like the In N Out of food trucks. :)

Yeah Curry Up Now recently opened their own restaurant in San Mateo and I think it is doing well. We have considered going brick and mortar because I think the food truck fad can only take us so far but it is hard to make that transition and finding the right location is really crucial.

mentalward said:
Glad you like our food. We try to keep it simple and haven't evolved the menu much from where we started. Kinda like the In N Out of food trucks. :)

Yeah Curry Up Now recently opened their own restaurant in San Mateo and I think it is doing well. We have considered going brick and mortar because I think the food truck fad can only take us so far but it is hard to make that transition and finding the right location is really crucial.
I've been to the curry up now truck-but I'll come check out your truck tommorow. Any friend of GAF is a friend of mine.

He would be proud.

epic-meal-time-buying-baconstrips.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The food truck bubble is definitely gonna pop soon. Too many think you can just open up a food truck and rake in the dough without much work. I didn't really notice any last year at this time but now there are way too many out there.

dvdjamm

mentalward said:
I am co-founder of Kung Fu Tacos in SF and I am unsurprised by this news. Too many food trucks these days.

All these food trucks are slowly killing me,lol...

The Roast Duck Tacos you guys make are so good

Wario64 said:
The food truck bubble is definitely gonna pop soon. Too many think you can just open up a food truck and rake in the dough without much work. I didn't really notice any last year at this time but now there are way too many out there.

All the more reason they should come to South Bay. :p We have about 5-8 regular food trucks that seem to do well enough down here. Plenty of room for more though!

MDavis360 said:
I've been to the curry up now truck-but I'll come check out your truck tommorow. Any friend of GAF is a friend of mine.
Thanks. I think the truck might be at one of the Off The Grid locations for lunch tomorrow. Tan will tweet the location around 10:30 tomorrow morning.

foomfoom415 said:
All the more reason they should come to South Bay. :p We have about 5-8 regular food trucks that seem to do well enough down here. Plenty of room for more though!
Have you tried MoBowl yet? They hang out in the South Bay. The owners are really good guys and I enjoy their food. You also might want to check out Edgewood Eats on Monday's in Palo Alto. Our truck doesn't go there but it is a good place to check out a bunch of South Bay trucks at once.

Thanks for all the positive comments about our food. I didn't mean to hijack this thread. For what it is worth I do love bacon and would never disparage it in any form.

Also didn't realize there were so many SF gafers. Good to know.

mentalward - Do you ever think the food truck wars will turn into some sort of turf war? Kinda like gangs and all that? Or is there some mutual respect for food trucks that operate certain areas at certains time of the day?

mentalward said:
Have you tried MoBowl yet? They hang out in the South Bay. The owners are really good guys and I enjoy their food. You also might want to check out Edgewood Eats on Monday's in Palo Alto. Our truck doesn't go there but it is a good place to check out a bunch of South Bay trucks at once.

Thanks for all the positive comments about our food. I didn't mean to hijack this thread. For what it is worth I do love bacon and would never disparage it in any form.

Also didn't realize there were so many SF gafers. Good to know.

Yeah at my company we're big fans of MoBowl. Palo Alto is a bit too Peninsula-y for us. We generally don't venture past Mountain View if we're in the South Bay for lunch. This limits us to MoBowl, BBQ Kalbi, Louisiana Territory, Sam's Chowder, and occasionally Curry Up Now when they decide to grace us with their presence. Plenty of room for more in Silicon Valley!

Priz

Edgewood Eats used to be cool for hitting trucks without insane lines, but now the word's out and it has been mentioned/featured on Eye on the Bay, the lines are getting bad. I think there was over an hour wait for Chairman Bao on Monday! (been craving their pork belly w/pickled daikon on the baked bun, but they were sold out by the time I even got there)

My personal favorites are Liba Falafel (so amazing, blows Falafel Drive-In out of the water), Toasty Melts (The Apple/Bacon/Cheddar), Good Foods Caters (pulled pork sandwich w/bacon bbq sauce, also hosted a six course all-bacon dinner which I attended), PieTISSERIE (she made me a chocolate cream w/pretzel crust for my birthday last year), JapaCurry (His Japanese Curry is awesome, better than most stuff I've had in the states or Japan), and of course the Creme Brulee Cart (I think Smores is my favorite followed by Mexican Chocolate. For smores he starts with a chocolate creme brulee and toasts the sugar on top to create the crust... then takes tiny marshmallows and toasts them with the blowtorch. Finally he spoons on some golden grahams cereal to complete the smores experience. Great taste.)

Priz said:
Edgewood Eats used to be cool for hitting trucks without insane lines, but now the word's out and it has been mentioned/featured on Eye on the Bay, the lines are getting bad. I think there was over an hour wait for Chairman Bao on Monday! (been craving their pork belly w/pickled daikon on the baked bun, but they were sold out by the time I even got there)

I used to hit up the Edgewood Eats, but it's been getting a little out of hand too. Last time I was there about a month ago. One of the asian taco trucks (forget the name) couldn't handle the volume and some people, including myself, waited for 45 minutes to get tacos. I guess it was their first time with a crowd that large.

Haven't had much success with food truck gatherings/events because of the wait and long lines. When trucks are on their normal routes it's all fine.

Giant Robot said:
mentalward - Do you ever think the food truck wars will turn into some sort of turf war? Kinda like gangs and all that? Or is there some mutual respect for food trucks that operate certain areas at certains time of the day?

We definitely are wary of people trying to take "territory" (SF permit laws are pretty strict so no one can sell on another persons spot but there could be an instance where someone is selling pretty close). That being said, all the truck owners I have met have been really friendly and there is a sense of "we are all in this together". I have done my best to give good advice to those just starting out. KFT was one of the earlier non-traditional trucks on the SF scene and we had to figure out a lot on our own. I am happy to pass along vendor information and stuff like that anyone new to the game.

Priz said:

My personal favorites are Liba Falafel (so amazing, blows Falafel Drive-In out of the water), Toasty Melts (The Apple/Bacon/Cheddar), Good Foods Caters (pulled pork sandwich w/bacon bbq sauce, also hosted a six course all-bacon dinner which I attended), PieTISSERIE (she made me a chocolate cream w/pretzel crust for my birthday last year), JapaCurry (His Japanese Curry is awesome, better than most stuff I've had in the states or Japan), and of course the Creme Brulee Cart (I think Smores is my favorite followed by Mexican Chocolate. For smores he starts with a chocolate creme brulee and toasts the sugar on top to create the crust... then takes tiny marshmallows and toasts them with the blowtorch. Finally he spoons on some golden grahams cereal to complete the smores experience. Great taste.)

Both Gail from Liba and Dante from Good Foods are friends of mine. We even share a kitchen with Dante and a few others. I have been dying to attend one of his underground dinners but haven't found the time. You might also want to check out El Porteno empanadas. They are amazing.

Zyzyxxz

mentalward said:

whoa thats neat!

Formerly of the Flying Pig Truck from Southern California but have since moved on to a real restaurant job. Been meaning to check out the NorCal food truck scene since the LA one is so cliche that many trucks are just copying already existing ones instead of going for original ideas.

Zyzyxxz said:
whoa thats neat!

Formerly of the Flying Pig Truck from Southern California but have since moved on to a real restaurant job. Been meaning to check out the NorCal food truck scene since the LA one is so cliche that many trucks are just copying already existing ones instead of going for original ideas.

I'd like to try Grill 'Em All just cause it's got a metal theme going on :p

Zyzyxxz

Giant Robot said:
I'd like to try Grill 'Em All just cause it's got a metal theme going on :p

their food is legitimately good and they were cool, they would always hook us up with food if they were at the same spot but after that show they got way too crazy.

Even with two trucks folks can't get enough of em and its not unusual to wait 1.5 to 2 hours if you find out last. At that point its not worth it.

The owner is a really cool guy, I'm happy he found success and he seems like a pretty happy guy too since he doesn't have to work on the truck because he's hired alot of people.

ocadman

Awesome. Will have to try this when it hits.

I haven't tried Kung Fu Tacos but will have to check that out too. Mentalward, are you ever in FiDi?

Zyzyxxz said:
whoa thats neat!

Seems to be kind of the same here. Lots of Korean and Fillipino trucks in the Bay Area. It is kinda like the LA scene just smaller. There are a ton of original trucks up here with really good menus though. Worth checking it out. I have always wanted to check out the LA trucks. It was our intention to do so before KFT but things just started coming together and we never got the chance.

Wario64 said:
Send them to me

ocadman said:
Awesome. Will have to try this when it hits.

I haven't tried Kung Fu Tacos but will have to check that out too. Mentalward, are you ever in FiDi?
Yeah. Our main lunch spot is on Sacramento street between Montgomery and Kearny in the fidi. Because we are doing a lot of the off the grid lunch events these days we aren't always at our spot. Check twitter (@kungfutacos) to see where we are that day.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
mentalward said:

Bring your truck to Electronic Arts sometime, we devour tacos.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
mentalward said:
I tried to hook that up when I had friends there but the last guy I knew there left for Activision about a year ago.

Hmm. I don't know how it works, I assume facilities arranges it somehow. We just had a new food truck show up today, some Vietnamese truck that hadn't been around before.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm digging all this food truck discussion. There's nothing like that on the east coast, at least/especially in Delaware. I'm living through you guys.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
SapientWolf said:
It's basically meat, fat, and salt. That's like 3 of the major food groups.

Meat is OK, but I'm not to keen on fat and salt (don't like the taste of either too much). Bacon is good though, but at times it seems the US considers bacon the greatest invention ever :p

Zyzyxxz

Combichristoffersen said:
Meat is OK, but I'm not to keen on fat and salt (don't like the taste of either too much). Bacon is good though, but at times it seems the US considers bacon the greatest invention ever :p

It's one of those things that get popular again for no reason.

In the last couple years chefs have used bacon to create ridiculously unhealthy dishes for fun with no intention of it going mass popular and now the phrase, "everything is better with bacon" has a new life again.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I will never understand the American fascination with bacon. The sandwiches minus the bacon sound good, though.

Vox-Pop said:
I'm sick of food trucks. No matter how much you try to make them fancy they still are eww.

Ridiculous. You have a very limited number of dishes that you do extremely well, then make it mobile? They are fucking magical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom