• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SM3DW sells 107k in Japan, lowest 3D Mario debut ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaikuHebi

Banned
tumblr_lmwdcbZkz91qlyx5jo1_400.png

Your logic doesn't make sense. So every pseudo sequel doesn't sell? The entire industry lives on sequels and remakes.

Nintendo doesn't need a game that sells, it needs a game that sells systems. Who is going to shell out $300+ for a game they very well already have that came out only two years ago?

Nintendo sold the SNES with a new Mario sequel too but that looked leaps and bounds better than the NES games. This game, besides the addition of the cat suits, looks to be pretty much the same game.

Kerub

Banned
Nintendo doesn't need a game that sells, it needs a game that sells systems. Who is going to shell out $300+ for a game they very well already have that came out only two years ago?

Nintendo sold the SNES with a new Mario sequel too but that looked leaps and bounds better than the NES games. This game, besides the addition of the cat suits, looks to be pretty much the same game.

But..they don't have that game.

So why are PS4 and XBOXONE games selling? They just released a bunch of yearly sequels with slightly better graphics.

PhantomR

Banned
Honestly what are the right lessons to be learned from Wii U? Sorry if this has already been discussed in this thread..

Nintendo aren't going to start selling hardware at a loss. The gamepad is a good idea and so is the philosophy of advancing more than just computing power each generation.

These two pretty much guarantee 3rd party support will always be minimal. The only lesson I can think of is to have more software released at a higher frequency, especially software that utilizes the new hardware in attractive ways. But this lesson was also true for Wii, GC and N64.

I really don't think the majority of people not buying a Wii U are doing so because of the lack of a proper account system or because the gamepad battery doesn't last long enough.

Marketing for the Wii U has indeed been disappointing, I'll give you that.

I'll keep hammering this point home over and over and over again. It's about first-party diversity. Continuing to get the same games that the other platforms have is not a recipe for success. It's about differentiating experiences. Nintendo used to have cutting-edge and compelling differentiating experiences outside of just the traditional stable (Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, etc). They had Killer Instinct, and Crusin USA, and Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Conker, Banjo-Kazooie, Blast Corps, etc etc. It doesn't matter if Wii U doesn't get a game like Battlefield if there is a compelling and awesome first party equivalent.

And it's not like that's not being done now. We haven't had a mainline Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo console in 19 years. But you know what? Now it doesn't matter that much. Not when we get shit like Xenoblade, Last Story, Fire Emblem, and the upcoming X. That same philosophy needs to be applied to western genres as well.

Serious question, have you seen a single image of 3D World that you gave more than a passing glance?

I haven't played the game but I've seen several videos. It basically looks like the same Mario game as the 3DS version (which I really enjoyed FYI) but with the addition of cat suits. I think most reasonable people would feel the same way. Hate on if you disagree but sales numbers have already spoken.

Kerub

Banned
I haven't played the game but I've seen several videos. It basically looks like the same Mario game as the 3DS version (which I really enjoyed FYI) but with the addition of cat suits. I think most reasonable people would feel the same way. Hate on if you disagree but sales numbers have already spoken.

But you're wrong. There are tons of things in 3D World that isn't in 3D Land. Lots of new powerups, 4 player coop etc. And of course the minor fact that it is a new game with new mechanics and new levels.

Sales numbers aren't really an indicator of how much has changed in a game.

Have sales numbers for anything other than the first two days in japan even been released yet?

V_Arnold

There are statements that could drive me insane if I kept on reading them. It is always the same argument. Whenever a new Mario title is announced (true for most, but ESPECIALLY for 2d games, Mario Kart games and games that have similar names as the ones that got released on handhelds before):

a. It is not new content, it is just higher resolution
b. Okay, it is new conteint, but it looks the same
c. It is not new content, it looks the same, the differences are only slight

None of these are true, in any case. None. Not with the new Kart, not with 3D World, not with NSMBU, not with NSMB2/Wii, so...

Here's your problem.

There are statements that could drive me insane if I kept on reading them. It is always the same argument. Whenever a new Mario title is announced (true for most, but ESPECIALLY for 2d games, Mario Kart games and games that have similar names as the ones that got released on handhelds before):

a. It is not new content, it is just higher resolution
b. Okay, it is new conteint, but it looks the same
c. It is not new content, it looks the same, the differences are only slight

None of these are true, in any case. None. Not with the new Kart, not with 3D World, not with NSMBU, not with NSMB2/Wii, so...

None of these are true to discerning gamers such as those on GAF. But is this true to the average consumer? My girlfriend immediately noticed the difference between SUper Mario 3 and Super Mario World. She did not really notice the difference between the New Super Mario Bros installments. And she did notice the 3D-ness of Super Mario 3D World, but barely so. Aesthetics matter. Once she played the game, she saw the wonderful differences and new ideas and such, but she never would have spent the money on the console and the game to find that out for herself.

nick380

Neo Member
Well those numbers look right from a company who relies on the same characters for almost every game.... I mean it will eventually get old...get some new IP's nintendo!

ajjow

This game is not selling good because of franchise fatigue.

Call of Duty has a much bigger audience. Mario doesn`t, and if you have ads, You already have a really good Mario game, so you don`t need to buy another Console.

Iwata destroyed Nintendo launch schedule. Nintendo was so much better with releasing new games. Today, they launch the SAME game for Nintendo 3ds and Wii U.

Even though Mario 3d is much better than 3d land (I have both) the normal player don't need two similar games in such small space of time.

Again, you cannot compare Mario with Call of Duty, which is a brand that is having its biggest momentum in history right now. In the future Call of Duty won't be this big.

Nintendo should:
1) create new characters for a new game
2) relive old games, like star fox and F-zero. I know Kid Icarus wasn't the success they need it, but it creates a good feeling among hardcore players and you create new games that players will anticipate. I would buy Kid Icarus 2 right now.

UNCMark

Banned
Have sales numbers for anything other than the first two days in japan even been released yet?

2nd week's numbers in Japan are out. UK numbers are out, and sales charts for many other regions in Europe are out. It's near the top of the chart in Japan, but underperforming. Much like every other Nintendo product, it's bombing in the UK, but the charts for other countries show that it's at least still a popular franchise, outselling XB1 and PS4 games.

Jak140

Well those numbers look right from a company who relies on the same characters for almost every game.... I mean it will eventually get old...get some new IP's nintendo!
Wii Sports? Wii Fit? Nintendogs? Brain Training? These were all new IPs that came out last gen and were among the best selling games of all time...

Here's your problem.

No, that is Nintendo's problem. A game that looks the same as a previously released game from two years ago is not going to sell a system that gamers as a whole don't care about.

Well by all means review it.

I haven't said it's good or bad here only that what I've seen makes this game look like an upgraded version of the 3DS version and that's not a compelling reason enough to buy a Wii U. Even if it is a much better game, it does not look like a much better game.

What did you think when you first saw Mario 64? Did it blow you away? What about 3D World? Probably not the same reaction.

Jak140

No, that is Nintendo's problem. A game that looks the same as a previously released game from two years ago is not going to sell a system that gamers as a whole don't care about.

I haven't said it's good or bad here only that what I've seen makes this game look like an upgraded version of the 3DS version and that's not a compelling reason enough to buy a Wii U.

What titles on the PS4 don't look like upgraded versions of PS3 games?

Finster

I don't know this is necessarily Nintendo's fault or even a problem they can do anything about, per se.

Not sure if it was mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but console sales overall are WAY down in Japan. Everything is shifting to mobile gaming in major ways. Even FF games are having smallest debuts ever for that series. The market in Japan is very different, now.

mantidor

I was wondering why was this bumped and kept coming to the top.

Did we get a new batch of juniors or something? that's one of the worst bumps I've seen.

UNCMark

Banned
I haven't said it's good or bad here only that what I've seen makes this game look like an upgraded version of the 3DS version and that's not a compelling reason enough to buy a Wii U. Even if it is a much better game, it does not look like a much better game.

What did you think when you first saw Mario 64? Did it blow you away? What about 3D World? Probably not the same reaction.

I bought a Wii U last week because of Mario 3D World. Any followup questions?

"not going to sell a system that gamers as a whole don't care about."

Dammit, I'm reminded yet again that I'm not a gamer.

Dr. Kaos

Banned

Unfair comparison. Mario 64 was the first (and last first) 3D mario. Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy are better comparison points.

It's a great game for multiple players, so an ideal gift in a family with siblings. I'm sure it's a fantastic single-player game too, but it just wasn't the primary objective. There is nothing wrong with that (except lower sales maybe). It also came on the same day Zelda 3DS did. I bought Zelda. Mario can wait.

Morts

I only read the first and last page, but do we know if that week one figure includes eShop sales? I'm assuming NPD won't?

BigDug13

The same game except 4 characters to choose from with varying abilities, 4 player same-screen multiplayer which is non-existant on 3DS (I don't think it has multiplayer at all, right?), loads of new powerups that don't exist, etc.

Other than that, exact same game.

As opposed to Wii U's launch of NSMBU and a bunch of Miis dressed as 20 year old characters playing minigames? They're all guilty.

You missed the point. I'm not saying Nintendo launched well. I'm saying this game being a sequel to another game isn't why its selling poorly in Japan. Its a multitude of other factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom