• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ah yes thats right. I believe Nintendo stated that they aren't just increasing EAD Tokyo staff they're increasing overall staff in all departments in order to increase development production. This process sped up even more now w/ the new Kyoto building next to their main HQ adding additional room for 1500 employees.

Sadist

I am starting to wonder if some of you guys think one just snap their finger and a new magically game that reinvent everything happens.
Because my unrealistic expectations are pretty realistisch duh. But seriously, seeing the discussion regarding Mario platformers ever since the release of NSMB 2 and the first reveal of 3D World has become crazier all around. Not Zelda-crazy, but it's nearing that place.

Super Mario Sunshine is still a good platformer, but a bad Mario game

3D Land did completely different things for me than Galaxy, and I love them both in different ways. Though Galaxy has the slight edge, maybe just for the music.

Some German guy said 3D World's music is the same as NSMBs? Dummkopf.

theluma

As great and fun as this looks and as excited as I am, I think ultimately it'll be the 'magic' factor that will put it below the original SMG for me. I cant really explain it but there's something about that world that's just special. Even SMG2 couldnt quite recapture that Galaxy feel to quite the same extent (though man, that star in Slimy Spring). In saying that the level design looks just as good if not better so, I'll be a happy chappy regardless.

leroidys

Because my unrealistic expectations are pretty realistisch duh. But seriously, seeing the discussion regarding Mario platformers ever since the release of NSMB 2 and the first reveal of 3D World has become crazier all around. Not Zelda-crazy, but it's nearing that place.

Super Mario Sunshine is still a good platformer, but a bad Mario game

I agree. SMS would have been great as a new IP IMO.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Just to play devil's advocate for a sec, does anyone here seriously think SM3DW will, despite no doubt being a great game, reach the same level as SMG (or SMG2, if you're one of those people)?

I think that Galaxy series was-is great for: art direction (the suspended floating of the planets, the stars, the Planetary and so on), and gravity concept (simply amazin at reveal)

I wasn't sold by 3D Land on 3DS looking at the videos, even if it seemed fun. Once played, I was blown away bu its gameplay. It was a step forward in the direction taken with Galaxy 1 (compared to Sunshine), went forward with Galaxy 2. Way more focused on pure platforming, small levels or better, small elements in the environment to jump in-out-on-around.
3D Land comlpeted that track, with a lot of pure amazing platfoming.

This 3D Wolrd is coherent with this path, but seems way reacher in terms of new elements, new enemies, new costumes/powerups, but especially new situations. all very platforming and gaming focused.

I know that someone would like to see a mario "Universe", with giant fre roaming world to explore.

Simply, to me, that would not be "my" Mario. I vastly prefer the "focused" episodes.
In fact, I really prefer Galaxy and 3DLand over Sunshine and Mario64

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
3D Land did completely different things for me than Galaxy, and I love them both in different ways. Though Galaxy has the slight edge, maybe just for the music.

Some German guy said 3D World's music is the same as NSMBs? Dummkopf.

I need to correct it a bit, he doesn't say it's identical. He says: "Gänsehaut-Tracks wie Gusty Garden sucht man ebenfalls vergeblich, dafür gibt es Musik im Stile der New Super Mario Bros.-Spiele. Manch einer würde auch "Kaufhausgedudel" dazu sagen. Na, ganz so schlimm ist es noch nicht. Was ganz einfach fehlt, ist ein Spannungsbogen, nicht nur in musikalischer Hinsicht."

in English: "Goose skin-inducing tracks like Gusty Garden cannot be found here, instead there is music in the style of the New Super Mario Bros.-games. Some would say "department-store-tootle-music" (I hope this is understandable). OK, it's not that bad. What's simply missing is an arc of suspense, not only in the music department".

It's just misplaced criticism that's all. The music in Mario Galaxy was indeed amazing, but it was quite out of place in terms of what it was being used for. It's epic, and Galaxy is a concept that is essentially goofy as fuck. 3D World's trumpet music makes me happy.

It's just misplaced criticism that's all. The music in Mario Galaxy was indeed amazing, but it was quite out of place in terms of what it was being used for. It's epic, and Galaxy is a concept that is essentially goofy as fuck. 3D World's trumpet music makes me happy.

Galaxy's music felt completely in place with the seemingly limitless possibilities of a Mario game in space. The music really, truly elevated the experience in ways a Mario game previously didn't IMO. I think what I've heard of 3D World sounds really cool too, but in a different way...it's more 'down to earth' now so I understand that criticism (based on what I've heard, anyway).

FLAguy954

I'm a page late but whatever yo

NSMB for the DS is probably my favorite 2D Mario. I've played all the older ones like 3 and World but damn, they bore me to death. If we count Super Princess Peach as a Mario game, then that'd be my fave instead.

I'll go on record saying SPP is my favorite 2D platformer ever. That game is legit fun.

Ron-Burgundy-Saying-I-Dont-Believe-You.gif

Holy shit man, is this real?!

japtor

Never mind 3D World, 3D Land was better than SMG. I'd say it's a sure thing that 3D World will sit on top of the pile when the dust settles.
Yeah I'd have to agree. I loved SMG when it came out and actually just started SMG2 today. I generally like it so far...but it feels like there's a bunch of annoying things.

It feels really slow but I think I'm used to that now at least. Otherwise it seems really chatty and the level select has too many steps. Pointer stuff is far more annoying than I remember it being (and I kinda dread Yoshi levels cause of it), while the spin move feels kinda cheap cause you can just run up to the basic enemies and hit them instead of having to jump. Power ups generally don't feel like power ups as much as mandatory items for completing stuff. I like the levels but some stuff bugs me in them too. Smaller planets range from filler to annoying to cool gimmick. The tubular and flat/large landmass stuff has been generally good.

I feel like 3D Land basically just cut out most of the fat, I can go back to it and jump in and have fun. After playing a bit of SMG2 and noticing that stuff above I'm wondering how much SMG1 would still hold up for me. I wouldn't mind another big world focused type of 3D Mario, mainly cause I think they're different enough to be like their own branch. Like 3D Land is more along the lines of the 2D games, while 64 was more of its own thing.

Majukun

is the game enjoyable in single player?
every video and commecial shows the 4 men multiplayer,but hat if i want to play it alone?

Peterthumpa

is the game enjoyable in single player?
every video and commecial shows the 4 men multiplayer,but hat if i want to play it alone?

Various reviews reported that it's an amazing game when playing solo, just like 3D Land was amazing too. Don't worry about it.

BowieZ

Banned
I think another Mario game with a bombastic orchestral suite will have diminished impact; I'm happy that they've chosen this more traditional, jauntier direction, albeit with genuine instruments.

Save the next galactic score for the inevitable Super Mario Universe.

This game looks great and almost makes me wish I had a Wii U. It could even end up being the second good Mario game after Sunshine.

Lets be honest here, the Galaxy games weren't exactly up to par and it looks like a return to form with this

jts

...hate me...
This game looks great and almost makes me wish I had a Wii U. It could even end up being the second good Mario game after Sunshine.

Lets be honest here, the Galaxy games weren't exactly up to par and it looks like a return to form with this
36f36cc24949540b2b7f38676ea192122a22f250.gif

I don't really understand all the scores. I've played through the game all the way and I'm seriously one of the biggest Mario fans there is. I gave it an 8.5 but I can still see a 9. But all those 10s? Man, its like those reviewers played a different game than me. I can live with different opinions, so it doesn't bother me, but I can't really see why people would give it a 10. It's a great, great game. But it used a lot of ideas from the Galaxy-games and the NSMB-games and most new ideas come from item use instead of pure level design. The multiplayer is pretty chaotic and during the game I often felt like I played this before. This maybe has to do with a lot of the astetics that are re-used from the NSMB- and 3D Land-games. Of course, now in HD, which looks wonderful, but still.

I never thought I would score a Mario-platformer lower than average. I've never been that guy, not with Mario-games. Very curious in learning what some of you die-hard Mario fans will think once you've played through the game!

Stoze

Just to play devil's advocate for a sec, does anyone here seriously think SM3DW will, despite no doubt being a great game, reach the same level as SMG (or SMG2, if you're one of those people)?

I guess I'm one of those people. I think SMG2 is probably the greatest 3D platformer ever made, and I also thought it was much better than its predecessor. Making the levels more compact, more varied, and faster paced was the jolt that the Mario 3D games needed. So the fact that SM3DW has that same design philosophy pretty much garantees I'll enjoy it more than the first Galaxy, but I don't think it will top SMG2. I don't think any Mario game will for a while.

Apenheul

Posted this in the other thread but intended to post it here:

Apenheul said:
I should mention that reviewers are only allowed to show/mention the first 4 worlds; so critics (who haven't played the game) shouldn't just extrapolate what they've been shown so far as if that's the whole game. This game should really appeal to fans of SMG2, as it uses SM3DL as a framework for throwing an insane amount of creative ideas at the player, just like SMG2 did within the Galaxy framework.

I don't really understand all the scores. I've played through the game all the way and I'm seriously one of the biggest Mario fans there is. I gave it an 8.5 but I can still see a 9. But all those 10s? Man, its like those reviewers played a different game than me. I can live with different opinions, so it doesn't bother me, but I can't really see why people would give it a 10. It's a great, great game. But it used a lot of ideas from the Galaxy-games and the NSMB-games and most new ideas come from item use instead of pure level design. The multiplayer is pretty chaotic and during the game I often felt like I played this before. This maybe has to do with a lot of the astetics that are re-used from the NSMB- and 3D Land-games. Of course, now in HD, which looks wonderful, but still.

I never thought I would score a Mario-platformer lower than average. I've never been that guy, not with Mario-games. Very curious in learning what some of you die-hard Mario fans will think once you've played through the game!
Are you looking for validation, or is it just a trojan horse to air your feelings (...again, even though you already posted your review and gave a disappointed synopsis)? Because framing it in the manner that you are before the game has even been released comes across at best as a loaded question. The only thing you're going to accomplish is coloring people's views before they've had a chance to judge it hands-on for themselves. I'm sure this thread and the official thread will be filled with opinions on the matter soon enough, so why fish for responses which only people who think they can extrapolate the true worth of the game from a demo kiosk at Best Buy will bother to give?

Ah Anticitizen. Of course a 10 minute demo gives you full knowledge of the game. Of course it does.

But to be fair, just ten minutes with Mario 64 back in the day was enough to blow my mind and get me hyped beyond reason. Nothing I've seen in 3D World has me hyped. Rather, it's EAD Tokyo's involvement that gives me faith that it'll be a solid experience. Worth $60? Hard to say for me personally.

Are you looking for validation, or is it just a trojan horse to air your feelings (...again, even though you already posted your review and gave a disappointed synopsis)? Because framing it in the manner that you are before the game has even been released comes across at best as a loaded question. The only thing you're going to accomplish is coloring people's views before they've had a chance to judge it hands-on for themselves. I'm sure this thread and the official thread will be filled with opinions on the matter soon enough, so why fish for responses which only people who think they can extrapolate the true worth of the game from a demo kiosk at Best Buy will bother to give?

Alright, I guess you are right, I'll stop it right there. Im not trying to look for validation or specifically air my feelings, def. curious as to what others think, but you are right in the fact that it's not very smart to do so until the game is here. For the record: I'm not that dissapointed, I think it's a very good game though. I'll stop here and will follow the OT. Thanks!

But most people here have not played it. So what are you discussing?

See reply above. You guys are right, my bad.

Sadist

Posted this in the other thread but intended to post it here:
AAW yeah.

But to be fair, just ten minutes with Mario 64 back in the day was enough to blow my mind and get me hyped beyond reason. Nothing I've seen in 3D World has me hyped. Rather, it's EAD Tokyo's involvement that gives me faith that it'll be a solid experience. Worth $60? Hard to say for me personally.
Entirely different. Mario 64 was the first time ever we saw the franchise in 3D and was a launch title that seemingly pushed all the right buttons.

Alright, I guess you are right, I'll stop it right there. Im not trying to look for validation or specifically air my feelings, def. curious as to what others think, but you are right in the fact that it's not very smart to do so until the game is here. For the record: I'm not that dissapointed, I think it's a very good game though. I'll stop here and will follow the OT. Thanks!
No worries, I'm sure I'll be giving everyone an earful of my opinions of the game soon enough. ;)

I'm a page late but whatever yo

NSMB for the DS is probably my favorite 2D Mario. I've played all the older ones like 3 and World but damn, they bore me to death. If we count Super Princess Peach as a Mario game, then that'd be my fave instead.

I'll go on record saying SPP is my favorite 2D platformer ever. That game is legit fun.

Don't worry brah.

Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword are my favourite Zelda games.

Gsnap

Never mind 3D World, 3D Land was better than SMG. I'd say it's a sure thing that 3D World will sit on top of the pile when the dust settles.

I agree. Galaxy games are great, but I've put more time into 3D Land than those games. If that's any indication, 3D World will probably be my favorite Mario game ever. Especially with multiplayer.

I agree. Galaxy games are great, but I've put more time into 3D Land than those games. If that's any indication, 3D World will probably be my favorite Mario game ever. Especially with multiplayer.
3D Land would be my favorite handheld Mario title. As far as consoles go, I think its coming down to the single player versus multiplayer experience. Single player, Galaxy will win hands down but if it came to multiplayer 3D World will probably tie.

Omnicent

This weekend is going to be a blast.
I pre-ordered this yestersday and it should be in sometime Friday. After watching all the footage and reading reviews I can barely contain myself.

It doesn't help that I plan on getting LBW Friday and my copy of Xenoblade Chronicles comes in tomoorow (I couldn't resist this any longer).

I want to start Chronicles tomorrow, but I hear it is a long (but amazing) game, so I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I still have X/Y to finish on my 3DS as well.

Looks like I'm about to post a leave of absence on the Gathered Against Fate forums, cause I love me some XIV, but I got a back log to work on (doesn't help that I want to finish all crafts to 50 before 2.1 and I'm half-way there on that goal)

Darmani

Neo Member
I'm okay with no perfect scores because perfect means something beyond the beyond. Its good, fresh, but its a very good reformation of what's already been tried not a full explosion. A game can have no true negatives in and of itself but still not quite get there. It succeeds in all its aims and minimizes extant flaws to the point they make a new standard.

That is okay.

So 4/5 or 9/10 or even 8/10 I'm okay with. This isn't school where 10 means perfect completion but a rating of excellence with full scores pushing things to heights unclimbed, sights unseen. By admission of the creators this is more about bringing Retro-style ideas and gameplay and merging it with style of gaming over fifteen years old. It does it exceptionally well. But there is something just not quite there.

Its how I'm okay with 2/5 for Other M but hate its use as the super example of sexism in video games. Or Keighly and the Dorito+Dew and hat as emblem of "corruption"

jmls1121

Banned
I took it to mean that while the game kicks all kinds of ass, it doesn't do anything to justify the special features of the Wii U GamePad.

Which is a dumb fucking complaint.

I anxiously await Luke Plunkett's review of Dead Rising and Ryse...I wonder if he will spend half the review criticizing the lack of Kinect Integration.

The_Lump

Banned

Agreed. Sorta. I enjoyed Galaxy 2 more overall but 3D Land was truly great. As I said a few pages back it felt like the purest* 3D Mario game I've played. Tight platforming, perfect controls and fun. The free-floating level setting is simple and perfect. It leaves the game unbounded by an overarching theme or setting, meaning Koizumi and chums can freely go apeshit with the level design. I'm happy 3D World follows that ethos.

*That's such a douchey word, sorry.

zroid

Banned
Wish Totilo had reviewed it for Kotaku. Pretty much anyone else means the review itself is a write-off for me, positive or negative.

The Lamp

I don't mean to be rude but I think this game is getting inflated reviews. I played the game at best buy and I've seen tons of video content and I really don't it deserves such a high score. It's kind of like GTA IV everyone gave it 10s because of the hype but a big chunk of players felt it just wasn't that good especially as a GTA game. To me 9.5s and 9.6s should go to really ambitious titles like Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy this game plays it way too safe.

You played an in store demo dude.

Posts on GAF here are giving me a headache this morning.

Having not played it myself, I can't agree or disagree, but I'll say something that's been kicking around in my head for a few years.

I think one of the many, many reasons we form different opinions on games (aside from different standards, priorities, execution experiences, expectations, etc.) is context.

Let me be totally clear: I am not saying you are wrong and others are right or vise-versa. But I think the mood we're in when we play a game, what we played before, what our lives are like at the time, all that can change what we think. Like, I have a friend that hates a restaurant that I love and we both ate there for the first time together. He was in a bad mood when we first went, I was in a good mood, so I enjoyed the food, he didn't, even though he normally likes that stuff.

It could have preparation or atmosphere or service or whatever. My guess is it was his mood.

The gaming example I always use is Nier. Around the time I played that game, I had just gotten off an action-game kick where all I really wanted to play were DMC-like brawlers. Don't know why, that's just all that tickled my fancy at the time. If I had played Nier while I was still in that kick, I would have hated that game a lot, because I would have emphasized the parts that weren't very good and de-emphasized the parts I ended up loving. Maybe as a whole that game isn't actually very good on an objective level, but because I was in the right headspace for it, I ended up loving it.

I think a lot of why some people really like or dislike games is a combination of factors, but ever-changing priorities of what's important and what's fun has a lot to do with it, too.

matthwq

Banned
I guess I'm one of those people. I think SMG2 is probably the greatest 3D platformer ever made, and I also thought it was much better than its predecessor. Making the levels more compact, more varied, and faster paced was the jolt that the Mario 3D games needed. So the fact that SM3DW has that same design philosophy pretty much garantees I'll enjoy it more than the first Galaxy, but I don't think it will top SMG2. I don't think any Mario game will for a while.

Also one of the very few people who find Galaxy 1 OKAY but not incredible. Amazing soundtrack, of course. (Galaxy 2 is, currently, my favorite 3D Mario.)

Personally I think they'll make Galaxy 3 (or something in that line) for Wii U and call it a day. Can't flood the system too much :p
I hope, hope, hope, we see another Galaxy game, if for the only reason how Nintendo incorporates the concepts of 3D World into it (aslo for the lovely and fantastic HD visuals).
Super Mario Galaxy is one of my favorite games of all time, so 3D World has a tremendous hill to climb if it wants to be on the same level of Galaxy for me. Of course, it is possible that I'll like 3D world as much as Galaxy for entirely different reasons.

Honestly, I'd like to see numbered scoring stripped from media review. A numerical score can often be misleading and can't accurately reflect a reviewer's opinion. Plus it encourages readers not to read the review itself.

NEO0MJ

Galaxy's music felt completely in place with the seemingly limitless possibilities of a Mario game in space. The music really, truly elevated the experience in ways a Mario game previously didn't IMO. I think what I've heard of 3D World sounds really cool too, but in a different way...it's more 'down to earth' now so I understand that criticism (based on what I've heard, anyway).

That was the point, according to the composers. And it makes sense, we're not exploring vast space in this game, so it grand music similar in style to the Galaxy games would be out of place.

andthebeatgoeson

Why the need to stratify games? Has the stratification become the main reasoning? Wouldn't it be better to talk about the merits without devolving into a list? We shit on lists constantly as journalistic shit, then turn around and do the same shit. It seems like a crutch instead of talking about the merits. I would say the majority of people giving out their lists don't remember the fine details and just go off their emotions.

They probably see the exact same things as you do except they like it.

Not from what I've seen. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure its gonna be a very good game and I'm excited to play it, but just from what I've read and seen it doesn't seem to be that 10/10 material SMG2 was. I miss the triple jump and the spin, the double kick and the long jump back when it was good. I miss how satisfying it was to loop across those flower petals with Yoshi. I miss Mario running at a decent speed from the get-go instead of having to hold the run button and gradually get faster, sometimes messing up my timing on a jump when the second speed kicks in. I miss spinning the Wiimote in the star-launchers transitions, controller rattling in my hand as Mario flies off to another planet and lands with a screen shaking perfect landing. Now you just got this boring box you hop in at the end and you just warp somewhere else, that's really visually interesting and interactive. I miss the starbits, which I thought were a much better collectible than Mario's coins have been, because I can collect them while moving in different directions, and they unlocked cool levels. I wanted to grab the starbits, which makes the moment-to-moment gameplay that bit more compelling than usual, where the coins in most Mario games I grab because they're just there...not like I need anymore lives I already got 40, not like I give a fuck about score in a Mario game. I see that gold train with all the coins in 3D World, I think "so what?". I miss the fun motion control gimmick levels like using the Wiimote to blow Mario in a bubble through a swampy minefield or those ball balancing levels. There's something kinda like that with the dragon riding, but it feels kinda rudimentary in comparison with the control scheme.

I just don't think the 3D Land/World style of game design is as fun as Galaxy, despite how pretty its gonna be, how great the music sounds, how clever its power-up usage may be. I'm open to being surprised, but I have a feeling 3D World will be a very good game, but ultimately inferior to Galaxy 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom