• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo President Publishes Plans for 2016 in JP Newspaper

Sami+

But Fire Emblem has always been "anime"
What "anime" is though has evolved over time.

Fire Emblem was always anime but it wasn't always pandery otaku trash.

pics.png

990.gif

which I mean you know I think is a pretty legitimate thing for longtime fans to be upset about

Roo

What do you think Nintendo is doing then? As the more I think about the idea, the more it makes sense to me :l.

If not re-using Wii U Chip-sets, then they could be using tech slightly better then Wii U for their next handheld, with the mobile games on iOS/Android working on the handheld & vice versa.

I can see their mobile games working on their handheld but not the other way around.
There would be literally no incentive to buy their hardware (where they get most of their revenue from) when their games are also available on your phone.

Also those wishing for Wii U levels of power/visuals for their next handheld are aiming too high.

RK128

I can see their mobile games working on their handheld but not the other way around.
There would be literally no incentive to buy their hardware (where they get most of their revenue) when their games are also available on your phone.

Also those wishing for Wii U levels of power/visuals for their next handheld are aiming too high.

Okay, but what about something like....somewhere between Vita and Wii U for graphical levels? That would be realistic and with modern chip-sets, it should be cost-effective.

Sami+

You say you like anime but to me it sounds like you are just generalizing and lumping all kinds of anime into one negative aspect and making it out to be some boogeyman ruining games.

One series going into one certain direction and suddenly people think that all nintendo studios are gonna head in that one direction as well.

I mean you can doubt my "anime cred" all you want lmao, I don't really give a shit. I like FMA 03, One Punch Man, Champloo/Bebop, and just finished watching Kuroko. I think whatever your avatar is looks really awful and I think most anime coming out nowadays is pandery otaku bait.

Apologies on account of everyone for seeing one series become awful and not welcoming more anime inspiration with open arms.

Eila

But Fire Emblem has always been "anime"
Rzvry6V.jpg

What "anime" is though has evolved over time.

Super Mario, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, F-Zero and Kid Icarus all have already had anime in the past in one form or another...

And Kirby. I miss the days when Kirby wasn't otaku pandering shit.

-Horizon-

I mean you can doubt my "anime cred" all you want lmao, I don't really give a shit. I like FMA 03, One Punch Man, Champloo/Bebop, and just finished watching Kuroko. I think whatever your avatar is looks really awful and I think most anime coming out nowadays is pandery otaku bait.

Apologies on account of everyone for seeing one series become awful and not welcoming more anime inspiration with open arms.

Aw yeah, thanks for bringing up my avatar. WOOOOOOOOO

Vena

Okay, but what about something like....somewhere between Vita and Wii U for graphical levels? That would be realistic and with modern chip-sets, it should be cost-effective.

WiiU visuals on a 5-6" screen doesn't require anywhere near WiiU power. You may not/likely not see quite WiiU levels of complexity, but with battery considerations Nintendo will likely also cut into full throughput which will harm visuals. There's a lot of give-and-takes to handhelds that need to be considered.

Conversely, the Vita is far to low from a number of angles. Its got crap for hardware in terms of modern toolsets and for being modern than the 3DS it has awful battery management and its not even driving two screens. Tirefire.

pics.png

990.gif

which I mean you know I think is a pretty legitimate thing for longtime fans to be upset about

And literally none of that has any impact on the gameplay. I see the same thing in xenoblade and no one seems to have any issue with it despite having "Naked Dunban" being a legitimate build. You can't even take swimsuits out into combat missions in this game (which is honestly weird because pretty much every other cosmetic can be used, including Sunglasses which are super epic).

It's unintruisive to anyone who doesn't want it, which is a perfect benefit to being a videogame.

RK128

WiiU visuals on a 5-6" screen doesn't require anywhere near WiiU power. You may not/likely not see quite WiiU levels of complexity, but with battery considerations Nintendo will likely also cut into full throughput which will harm visuals. There's a lot of give-and-takes to handhelds that need to be considered.

Conversely, the Vita is far to low from a number of angles. Its got crap for hardware in terms of modern toolsets and for being modern than the 3DS it has awful battery management and its not even driving two screens. Tirefire.

Heard many indies talk about having issue with porting some games to Vita (Axiom Verge and Bastion taking a lot of time to run on Vita, with the former still not out yet on the console), so I guess you're right. Gotta agree on the battery; doesn't last very long.

I guess we can come to the conclusion that the NX Handheld will be more powerful then the 3DS and Vita at the very least :).

AniHawk

Look at all that information! Everything is clear now. Nintendo barely knows what they are doing at this point. Get ready to board the disappointment train.

i'm not suggesting what they have planned is a slam dunk, but with the licensing plans, the new account system, and what nx could/sounds like will be, it feels like they're more focused than they have been in a decade. that's at least an improvement over the cynical attempts to reach a really mainstream audience with 3d and a tablet and seemingly no other direction for the company.

RK128

i'm not suggesting what they have planned is a slam dunk, but with the licensing plans, the new account system, and what nx could/sounds like will be, it feels like they're more focused than they have been in a decade. that's at least an improvement over the cynical attempts to reach a really mainstream audience with 3d and a tablet and seemingly no other direction for the company.

I agree; even if their new console crashes and bombs, they have a clear goal, vision and plan for the future ENCASE they have another Wii U-Level sales issues again.

Them venturing into licencing, movies, anime and more could do a lot to leverage the Nintendo brand & IP. I could easily see a iOS/Android Amiibo game being a massive success if done right.

Sami+

Aw yeah, thanks for bringing up my avatar. WOOOOOOOOO

I mean if you're gonna be asking why people don't like hearing "anime inspiration" I'm not really sure what you expected. It's pretty much a perfect example.

And literally none of that has any impact on the gameplay. I see the same thing in xenoblade and no one seems to have any issue with it despite having "Naked Dunban" being a legitimate build. You can't even take swimsuits out into combat missions in this game (which is honestly weird because pretty much every other cosmetic can be used, including Sunglasses which are super epic).

It's unintruisive to anyone who doesn't want it, which is a perfect benefit to being a videogame.

If it was completely unobtrusive then people wouldn't be complaining about it. See: Xenoblade.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

I'm a longtime fan and I'm pretty okay with this!

edit: and lol at Berserk-inspired Zelda.

Sami+

Berserk doesn't match the tone of Zelda at all, that would be awful.

Yeah it's closer to Souls. I just went for the first medieval fantasy that came to mind. That being said I'd still be super cool with a Zelda that takes inspiration from it while remaining family friendly.

That's what we call Anime nowadays?

Smash 4 Corrin reveal transcript: "ONII CHAN, GET EM ONII CHAN, ONII CHAN IS SO COOL, OH MAN I LOVE MY ONII CHAN I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT, WOW ONII CHAN"

When people say "anime" as a negative term then yeah it's safe to assume they mean this and not Cowboy Bebop.

I won't deny that, but the way you said it made it out to seem like this "anime" thing came out of nowhere to infect Fire Emblem, and will ruin other series. Which isn't true.
And Kirby. I miss the days when Kirby wasn't otaku pandering shit.

Shit, how could I forget that garbage?

I mean if you're gonna be asking why people don't like hearing "anime inspiration" I'm not really sure what you expected. It's pretty much a perfect example.

If it was completely unobtrusive then people wouldn't be complaining about it. See: Xenoblade.

Except it factually is unobtrusive, it's in some aspects actually limiting as I have described. As someone who completed lunatic and used everything offered to me within reason to do so, these fan service features do nothing, they're not forced on the player (actually the pics of the models are a model viewer basically and I damn expect a good degree of control over that even if it is unusual). In essence, the experience is in the hand of the player, which is ultimately just fine. I could do without it like anyone who doesn't like it, but the existence never harmed my experience of the game.

To qualify, I really dislike some of the character designs in the game, (Camilla was so close to being fantastic it frustrates me to no end).

Sami+

I won't deny that, but the way you said it made it out to seem like this "anime" thing came out of nowhere to infect Fire Emblem, and will ruin other series. Which isn't true.

Of course not, but this semantic argument comes up every time. 80s/old school anime just isn't what people are referring to when they say "anime" negatively most of the time, and I think it's kind of safe to just assume the person means "(modern) anime" or whatever at this point because it comes up every time.

GenG3000

Smash 4 Corrin reveal transcript: "ONII CHAN, GET EM ONII CHAN, ONII CHAN IS SO COOL, OH MAN I LOVE MY ONII CHAN I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT, WOW ONII CHAN"

When people say "anime" as a negative term then yeah it's safe to assume they mean this and not Cowboy Bebop.

Tiki used to call Marth "Marth-niichan" and "oniichan"... In 1990.

It's just gone full circle and updated its audience.

People complain about Ike and Shulk in Smash Bros. as anime swordsmen.

Trying to define it is silly, it's just shorthand for "thing I don't like that comes from Japan."

rpmurphy

lol old school anime

Is that the anime version of bragging about listening to 80s music and totally not listening to today's garbage pop songs?

I long for the days when we had quality anime without pandering fanservice, like the classics Gunbuster, Macross, or Urusei Yatsura.

Actually that's not very fair of me, those examples are definitely cherry picked.

If I wanted typical 80's anime I'd have to pick some shitty OVA or robot show for seven-year-olds

Can we seriously not go one thread nowadays where Fire Emblem is brought up where someone feels the need to rain on other people's parades because "Fire emblem is anime now and they're pandering to otakus and that's ruining the SRPG gameplay somehow!"

Like, really. The game isn't even out in NA until next month. Come on now.

Sami+

lol old school anime

Is that the anime version of bragging about listening to 80s music and totally not listening to today's garbage pop songs?

It's the anime version of saying that things change over the course of 30-40 years.

But okay if we're gonna just go find examples of fanservice from the 80's an pretend that the industry hasn't changed at all and that people are just imagining things... I'll just leave y'all to be excited about Fire Emblem Fates or whatever.

Muzy72

Banned
I don't know how this thread under up derailing so hard.

So, uhh, how 'bout that movie deal? I wonder who they would partner up with for a Mario movie. If done right I think it could really catch on like Despicable Me or Frozen.

Berserk doesn't match the tone of Zelda at all, that would be awful.

Agreed. Same as my reaction, like, "huh?" Cool Guy Sami did clarify that that was not actually very fitting, but it's still funny how wrong that would be. Full Metal Alchemist also wouldn't really work, but I'm surprised that he didn't suggest that because it'd be a much less jarring influence.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
So, uhh, how 'bout that movie deal? I wonder who they would partner up with for a Mario movie. If done right I think it could really catch on like Despicable Me or Frozen.

That makes me wonder - does Mario ever speak in Japanese? Anywhere?

RK128

There is the rumor that Sony Animated Pictures is making a Mario Film (or that Sony pitched a Mario Film idea to Nintendo), so that could happen still :). And it would be ironic (considering they are working with Sega on a Sonic the Hedgehog film) too XD.

I think if done right, Mario could be a wonderful film for kids and adults. I would love for Disney Animated Pictures to make a Mario movie, as Wreck-it-Ralph proves they can do a wonderful job with video games as a topic. Could see Pixar do wonders too.

Tiki used to call Marth "Marth-niichan" and "oniichan"... In 1990.

It's just gone full circle and updated its audience.

To be frank, I never liked the dragon loli archetype that the series has used over the years. I mean, it's an interesting juxtaposition sure but the way it's used basically has demeaned all the characters that fall under it as people to be protected despite their own strength (The worst it was used was in FE6 with Fa and her support with Elphin and basically all the characters beside Nowi(who despite the complaints is basically the only one who doesn't have these issues, hell her introduction basically subverts it altogether) have the same level of attachment to the main male lord) The point of having a young girl figure should generally be used to provide an opposing insight based on naive but sensible logic which is then juxtaposed by the reality of the situation.

Complaints about "anime" are nothing more than tripe to be ignored unless elaboration is given. Give some written reasoning so some conversation can actually be had because it's a topic worth exploring. Otherwise it's nothing more than a waste of time.

rpmurphy

It's the anime version of saying that things change over the course of 30-40 years.

But okay if we're gonna just go find examples of fanservice from the 80's an pretend that the industry hasn't changed at all and that people are just imagining things... I'll just leave y'all to be excited about Fire Emblem Fates or whatever.
Times change, sure. We don't live in the Cold War anymore, the economy has changed, the demographics of the world has changed, people's interests and tastes about everything in life has changed. The desire to freeze anime in time to their favorite past era is laughable, like it would be for anything else, like games, music, or fashion.

First time I saw Elsa, I thought it was Rosalina. In fact I still think Disney used Nintendo design as a reference.
I think Star Fox could be the best option to do an action/comedy movie that would have board Appeal. If in doubt, used the Dino's, America loves dinosaurs

It's no secret that the industry has changed.

But the statement that anime isn't as good as it used to be back then is completely false. It's not like super high quality stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, etc. constantly came out of the woodwork back then.

There were good years of anime and there were bad years of anime back then. Just like today.

Today there's show's like Ping Pong, One Punch Man, Gundam Build Fighters and many other good shows.

Finding the nearest picture of a moe anime girl from some random LN anime adaptation and claiming that anime is 100% all that nowadays is not true in the slightest. There may be a bit more than back then, but it's not like talented people with good ideas have stopped existing when it comes to anime.

Maybe this is a dumb question but wouldn't Sony Animated Pictures doing a Nintendo film be a little too conflict-of-interest? I might be overthinking how important gaming is to Sony but wouldn't a highly successful Nintendo film lead to more Nintendo success in gaming (the goal of these licenses, I think). I could totally be dumb, that's just what sticks out about that proposition.

Kimishima says Nintendo wants to surprise fans with new ideas - not build on old ones. Nintendo will in 2016 release “details” on the NX.

Great to read this. Sounds like they have no interest in building another by-the-numbers, traditional, me-too console in an already crowded market. Bring on the unique hooks.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Maybe this is a dumb question but wouldn't Sony Animated Pictures doing a Nintendo film be a little too conflict-of-interest? I might be overthinking how important gaming is to Sony but wouldn't a highly successful Nintendo film lead to more Nintendo success in gaming (the goal of these licenses, I think). I could totally be dumb, that's just what sticks out about that proposition.

Sony Pictures is separate from Sony Entertainment. There shouldn't be a problem if Microsoft or Nintendo wanted to work with them.

RK128

First time I saw Elsa, I thought it was Rosalina. In fact I still think Disney used Nintendo design as a reference.
I think Star Fox could be the best option to do an action/comedy movie that would have board Appeal. If in doubt, used the Dino's, America loves dinosaurs

I never thought about that but I feel that way too; her design does mirror Rosalina in some ways.

Would love for Nintendo to let Disney have the rights to make a few movies based on their IP :D.
-Disney Animated Studios works on animated Legend of Zelda Film
-Pixar works on Super Mario Brothers (Inside Out/Up Director)
-Marvel Studios works on Star Fox (Guardians of the Galaxy Director + Team)

Dr. Buni

But the statement that anime isn't as good as it used to be back then is completely false. It's not like super high quality stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, etc. constantly came out of the woodwork back then.
But... It is not. Obviously there are still good animes being made (no one in their right mind would claim otherwise), but good anime that isn't filled with stupid fanservice, moe or other gross stuff have become quite rare. Also, unfortunately when developers decide to make a game that is somewhat inspired by anime, they decide to pick the worst things about anime instead of the best ones. Just take a look at games like Fire Emblem Awakening, Senran Kagura, etc.

A game being anime-like or a game having an anime adaptation aren't bad things by default, but like you or not, there are plenty of reasons to be worried when a game is getting an anime adaptation or when a developer say a game will be inspired by anime.

The 80s had their fair share of horrible anime series, we just don't know about them because they never left Japan or were never fan-subbed. Nowadays we are able to watch most of them, including all the crappy ones.

In regards to fanservice: Yes there is definitely more fanservice in "modern anime".

on-topic:
Kimishima says Nintendo wants to surprise fans with new ideas - not build on old ones. Nintendo will in 2016 release “details” on the NX.
Sounds good to me!

But... It is not. Obviously there are still good animes being made (no one in their right mind would claim otherwise), but good anime that isn't filled with stupid fanservice, moe or other gross stuff have become quite rare. Also, unfortunately when developers decide to make a game that is somewhat inspired by anime, they decide to pick the worst things about anime instead of the best ones. Just take a look at games like Fire Emblem Awakening, Senran Kagura, etc.

A game being anime-like or a game having an anime adaptation aren't bad things by default, but like you or not, there are plenty of reasons to be worried when a game is getting an anime adaptation or when a developer say a game will be inspired by anime.

I have many issues with fire emblem awakening but on a fan service level it's rather tame aside for the usual short skirts and thighs galore the series as a whole has since the very beginning. You have the beach and hot springs dlc sure, but I think most got that for the conversations all the characters had, an appeal to not to Otaku, but shippers (and yes there is a difference), which is a trend that has been around since the fourth game in the series(there's no mechanical benefit to the lovers conversations in the second half, what other reason other than shipping would there be). Fire Emblem has had an abnormal amount of Fanfiction for its audience size, showing that this is an audience that is readily interested in the chemistry of the relationships present in the game.

Top Bottom