• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo President Publishes Plans for 2016 in JP Newspaper

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Fire Emblem has had an abnormal amount of Fanfiction for its audience size, showing that this is an audience that is readily interested in the chemistry of the relationships present in the game.

Not just Awakening either. I've seen a ton of fan artwork of Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn characters being together; romantically, and non-lewd too. Fire Emblem support systems has always been something people liked because it gives them reasons to like the characters more. Awakening isn't more popular because it's lewder - it's more popular because they doubled down on the support system and relationships. Easier to get support, less restrictions, and you can ship any hetero pairing and have them have kids too!

super_mario_anime_peach_62_by_adlerpypm-d5qfoc6.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Bowser_and_Peach_getting_married.jpg

vgs10.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

mario_gaming.jpg

0.jpg

0.jpg

0.jpg

Not nust Awakening either. I've seen a ton of fan artwork of Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn characters being together; romantically, and non-lewd too. Fire Emblem support systems has always been something people liked because it gives them reasons to like the characters more. Awakening isn't more popular because it's lewder - it's more popular because they doubled down on the support system and relationships. Easier to get support, less restrictions, and you can ship any hetero pairing and have them have kids too!

The "everyone can practically marry everyone" is the one thing I absolutely hated because it forced the characters to be rather Gimmicky. Some supports were great, but most were throw aways. Cordelia was unbearable.

Actually, I think Lon'qu was the only character who had great supports with everybody.

whats the difference between Cartoon and Anime? I always thought they were the same, just subtle differences.

I think Splatoon would make a great Cartoon done right.

The "everyone can practically marry everyone" is the one thing I absolutely hated because it forced the characters to be rather Gimmicky. Some supports were great, but most were throw aways. Cordelia was unbearable.

Actually, I think Lon'qu was the only character who had great supports with everybody.

This was an issue in prior games as well, and that's fine because we discuss the chemistry. Robin/Sumia is a great example in Awakening of good chemistry between characters. While Hector/Florina is a poor example in FE7 even more so when Hector has a much better support with Serra yet doesn't have an ending with her.

RK128

whats the difference between Cartoon and Anime? I always thought they were the same, just subtle differences.

Cartoon is termed for Western/European/Non-Japan Produced animated works (so films and TV shows like Sonic Boom, Inside Out, Sonic Satam, and the like fall under this).

Anime is termed for Japan produced animated works and its more commonly used for a number of 'anime' shows (Light Novel adaptations, Manga adaptations, original stories, ect).

Edit: Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :).

TheJoRu

Who exactly is going to be the target audience for a dedicated gaming plattform? Gardeners?

Maybe. Once he's done with all the gardening for the day he might want to sit back and enjoy some games.

Perhaps his wife had told him about this sweet "Mario Teaches Gardening"-app on the iPhone, which he really enjoyed playing on his lunch breaks. Apparently there was an even cooler version of it on this "NX"-apparatus with higher resolution graphics, even more gardening tools and customizable hat color. He'd never really thought about having a game machine like that at home, but it was really cheap at Gamestop so he bought one and is now enjoying "Mario Teaches Gardening Deluxe" every day after work.

There was a Mario Anime O_O!?

Was it good :D? Animation looks very faithful to the games :).

It's "Super Mario Momotaro," it's a special they did based on the Peach Boy story, YouTube it. Can you imagine if the DiC series looked like this? Surprised more people don't know about it.
Waits for Nintendo Life and Nintendo Everything sites to poach this post and turn it into a "Did you know Nintendo dabbled in anime many years ago?!" type story.

RK128

It's "Super Mario Peach Boy Taro," short based on the Peach Boy story, YouTube it. Can you imagine if the DiC series looked like this? Surprised more people don't know about it.
Waits for Nintendo Life and Nintendo Everything sites to poach this and turn it into a "Did you know Nintendo dabbled in anime many years ago?!" type story.

Will look it up, so thank you for sharing this with us all :D!

Reminds me of how Sega got the studio that produced the animated opening/ending to Sonic CD to make an OVA pitch (originally meant for a full series but ended up being a two episode OVA instead).

Will look it up, so thank you for sharing this with us all :D!

Reminds me of how Sega got the studio that produced the animated opening/ending to Sonic CD to make an OVA pitch (originally meant for a full series but ended up being a two episode OVA instead).

It's a short three episode OVA, each episode is based on a Japanese fairy tale:

http://www.mariowiki.com/Amada_Anime_Series:_Super_Mario_Bros.

The Amada Anime Series: Super Mario Bros. (アマダアニメシリーズ スーパーマリオブラザーズ) is a series of anime. It is a collection of three original video animations based on fairy tales, and was released only in Japan on August 3, 1989. The series used characters and other elements from the Mario series in place of characters and concepts from the original fairy tales.

The series contains: Super Mario Momotarō, Super Mario Issun-bōshi, and Super Mario Shirayuki-hime‎. The two former episodes in the series are retellings of fairy tales of the same name, while Super Mario Shirayuki-hime is a retelling of the Western fairy tale Snow White. When the titles are read aloud by the narrator, the possessive particle の no is spoken between "Super Mario" and the name of the specific story; translated, this would render the titles as "Super Mario's Momotarō", etc.

This was an issue in prior games as well, and that's fine because we discuss the chemistry. Robin/Sumia is a great example in Awakening of good chemistry between characters. While Hector/Florina is a poor example in FE7 even more so when Hector has a much better support with Serra yet doesn't have an ending with her.

This isn't my compliant, its the characters in Awakening relies on thieir Gimmicks for their personality; Stalh is always hungry, Gergor is Russian, Cordelia is in love with Chrom, Sumia can't do anything right, Owain's Hand, etc.
Previous Fire Emblem games had some Gimmicks too, but they didn't remind every damn time. Awakening went waaaaay overboard.

This isn't my compliant, its the characters in Awakening relies on thieir Gimmicks for their personality; Stalh is always hungry, Gergor is Russian, Cordelia is in love with Chrom, Sumia can't do anything right, Owain's Hand, etc.
Previous Fire Emblem games had some Gimmicks too, but they didn't remind every damn time. Awakening went waaaaay overboard.

I think you're simplifying things a little too much in some cases. You don't need gimmicks for chemistry. It's more an individual criticism at awakening above all else. Still, Gregor is pretty fantastic character who isn't really gimmicky or one note so I dunno why you would put him there. That being said, unlocking supports in pretty much any GBA game was a pain, you didn't get to see much of the characters any way unless you replayed the game a ton. Also Stahl's gimmick isn't that he's always hungry, it's that he's a dude, ever reliable but nothing exceptional and that it's totally fine.

RedSwirl

Fire Emblem was always anime but it wasn't always pandery otaku trash.

pics.png

990.gif

which I mean you know I think is a pretty legitimate thing for longtime fans to be upset about

I kind of agree, but I'm afraid it might just be because of nostalgia for 80's/90's anime or something. When you think about it Fire Emblem is just continuing to be an anime game and continuing to follow the trends of the overall anime market. I just don't like it.

Give me some shit that looks more like Record of Lodoss War or Escaflowne any day. I don't even mind the art direction in Grand Kingdom.

On the subject, is Fire Emblem Fates doing that thing with the morphed 2D character portraits to simulate movement without any actual animation? I know anime has always been cheap like that, but I just don't like look of games that do that (ex: Dengeku Bunko Climax) . You can just see how fake it is.

Oersted

Maybe. Once he's done with all the gardening for the day he might want to sit back and enjoy some games.

Perhaps his wife had told him about this sweet "Mario Teaches Gardening"-app on the iPhone, which he really enjoyed playing on his lunch breaks. Apparently there was an even cooler version of it on this "NX"-apparatus with higher resolution graphics, even more gardening tools and customizable hat color. He'd never really thought about having a game machine like that at home, but it was really cheap at Gamestop so he bought one and is now enjoying "Mario Teaches Gardening Deluxe" every day after work.

You should work in marketing, you made me interested :D

I kind of agree, but I'm afraid it might just be because of nostalgia for 80's/90's anime or something. When you think about it Fire Emblem is just continuing to be an anime game and continuing to follow the trends of the overall anime market. I just don't like it.

Give me some shit that looks more like Record of Lodoss War or Escaflowne any day. I don't even mind the art direction in Grand Kingdom.

On the subject, is Fire Emblem Fates doing that thing with the morphed 2D character portraits to simulate movement without any actual animation? I know anime has always been cheap like that, but I just don't like look of games that do that (ex: Dengeku Bunko Climax) . You can just see how fake it is.

Nah it's multiple portraits with various facial expressions like awakening for the regular scenes. What you're seeing above is part of a random part of the game.

I think you're simplifying things a little too much in some cases. You don't need gimmicks for chemistry. It's more an individual criticism at awakening above all else. Still, Gregor is pretty fantastic character who isn't really gimmicky or one note so I dunno why you would put him there. That being said, unlocking supports in pretty much any GBA game was a pain, you didn't get to see much of the characters any way unless you replayed the game a ton. Also Stahl's gimmick isn't that he's always hungry, it's that he's a dude, ever reliable but nothing exceptional and that it's totally fine.

Your missing the point of what made Awakenings Supports inferior to previous games.

Inferior might not actually be the right word, but I feel that previous games had better much better dialogue.

Your missing the point of what made Awakenings Supports inferior to previous games.

Inferior might not actually be the right word, but I feel that previous games had better much better dialogue.

The word you are looking for is "repetitive". Awakening's supports suffer from repetition in several cases such as Yarne.

Anime is a cartoon made in Japan. That's really just it.
tU5ySfQ.png

So the differences just come down to cultural and societal norms for the most part.
Though when people say "anime style" they usually mean art that look like Dragon Ball or Sailor Moon or *whatever famous anime you want to mention here.

Man that Fire Emblem stuff is gross, but Intelligent Systems has always been allowed oddly enough to to put innuendo and weird pseudo religious stuff in their games, even with the Paper Mario series.

I dont know why but I feel Kimishima referred with anime as animation in general and not only animation produced in japan. Not the first time it happens.
Still, anime is such a wide term for japanese cartoons, that some of the gloom and doom that has been said in the last pages just sound very uneducated.

Top Bottom