• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo President Publishes Plans for 2016 in JP Newspaper

Az987

all good things
You mean "be more successful and reach a wider audience than ever before"?

It's not all doom and gloom. Don't all be so pessimistic

Do video game based anime really reach a wider audience though or do they just draw the same fans they already have to a new market?

After the Gamepad, that worries me.

New ideas are a good thing. We should be welcoming innovation in this industry. It needs it.

They won't be repeating the GamePad mistake any time soon.

Let us not forget that the GamePad was not "a new idea." Smartphones and tablets (touch screen devices that can play games) were already ubiquitous by the time the Wii U arrived. If anything, Wii U is an example of what happens when Nintendo doesn't come up with something totally new.

I'm personally very excited to see what they have in store.

Kimawolf

Games take time to develop. We probably won't see "Spla2n" until late 2017 at the very very earliest.

So, Nintendo's target audience for the NX are people who don't already own an Xbox One and a PS4? I sure hope they don't expect good sales then
The bone and ps4 combined only have sold around 53 million units. Last gen 260 million total consoles sold. And even if you remove Wii, 160 million units sold. And that was in 8 years. So there are a lot of people who haven't jumped in the pond yet.

Gambit

Do video game based anime really reach a wider audience though or do they just draw the same fans they already have to a new market?

I thought the quote referred to what happened with the "animefication" of Fire Emblem games. If the FE Anime was meant, then I fully agree with it.

Good question. I think Pokemon, Yokai Watch etc benefitted greatly from the shows. But not sure about IP where the game series is already established

The bone and ps4 combined only have sold around 53 million units. Last gen 260 million total consoles sold. And even if you remove Wii, 160 million units sold. And that was in 8 years. So there are a lot of people who haven't jumped in the pond yet.

Many wont, the ps360 was bought by many people for their casual gaming fix or as a dvd player. Those people have their phone and Netflix now.

StereoVsn

Many wont, the ps360 was bought by many people for their casual gaming fix or as a dvd player. Those people have their phone and Netflix now.
Eh, I think many will. Don't forget the numbers stand after 8-9 years of sales. PS4/XBone will be over 80 million by end of next year.

Neoxon

Eh, I think many will. Don't forget the numbers stand after 8-9 years of sales. PS4/XBone will be over 80 million by end of next year.
And even then, most will likely just follow their friends to the competition. The stigma that Nintendo console is for Nintendo games is still strong, & making the NX Console powerful isn't gonna magically fix that.

Az987

all good things
They do. Yokai Watch happened.

Right but that and Pokemon released in markets outside of Japan before the games were released or had, at least, become huge hits.

I think people in here asking for a Zelda anime are missing what Nintendo wants to do and I doubt a Zelda anime would hardly have any impact on Zelda game sales.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
after thinking about it I don't like the new way Nintendo has been dropping news lately

they are almost back to pretty much pre-Iwata days of PR

Bayo2 stand-alone release date

Pokken launch date

and some of these bits would at least make a Direct Mini

Nintendo communication after Iwata passed away is abysmal. Like they fired all the PR departments and only have one intern responsible for twitter and Fb accounts. You get more news from leaks than from their events.

Please remember that Nintendo has fundamentally changed its corporate policy to be more spontaneous about reveals and release dates to get the leg up on the competition.

So just because Kimishima says that Nintendo will release "details" about the NX in 2016 doesn't mean that they don't have a plan to release it in the same year.

The Wii U and 3DS markets are deteriorating rapidly around the world. Nintendo's core business desperately needs a shot in the arm...they can't wait another Christmas with nothing to show for it.

Furthermore, production schedules for many of Nintendo's core teams nicely line up for a end-of-2016 launch.

So I wouldn't count out a 2016 NX just yet.

Yes, that would be the logical thing to do. Let's hope Nintendo's logic is in sync with the common sense this time.

It feels like only yesterday Nintendo and their fans were talking down on mobile games or the possibility of Nintendo making software for smartphones. Time sure does fly...
Yup. Folks were declaring that the NX wouldn't drop in 2016 very recently too. It's best to tune out the hardcore Nintendo fans.

Rurunaki

I'm already seeing the NX unified system as basically what the Ps4/Vita is meant to be, only being designed from the beginning and not tacked on like it was with the Sony systems.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nintendo communication after Iwata passed away is abysmal. Like they fired all the PR departments and only have one intern responsible for twitter and Fb accounts. You get more news from leaks than from their events.

So, have we just decided to forget the November Direct and the Smash Bros. presentation for reasons? Or the weekly Nintendo Minute videos (that can be about indie games / specific content from Nintendo or other devs games / top 10s / other different topic)? Or how they've recently upped their social presence by creating Snapchat/Tumblr/etc. accounts? Also, we've had news outside Directs before, even when Iwata was still alive. We've had the period where news were just given through PRs and updates on social networks since they felt it wasn't the right time to make a new Direct yet, but since last November we should be back to a more normal schedule, with Directs / presentations as major news comunication tools, with some bits here and there outside of them.

Hiltz

So, have we just decided to forget the November Direct and the Smash Bros. presentation for reasons? Or the weekly Nintendo Minute videos (that can be about indie games / specific content from Nintendo or other devs games / top 10s / other different topic)? Or how they've recently upped their social presence by creating Snapchat/Tumblr/etc. accounts? Also, we've had news outside Directs before, even when Iwata was still alive.

Agreed. It seems people forgot about that alright.

Cant wait to see what universal has in their plans, we know Miyamoto and Iwata gave thumps up to the designs.
Wouldnt mind if they used Monita, but wouldnt want it to look as bland as Nintendo Land. Just make it as good as disney zones with Nintendo franchises.

I also hope is not sony pictures but Universal who takes the movie amd animation mantle. Sony pictures is a fucking crap company with shitty producers.

All in all, expanding the company is a great idea that Iwata had and the best way to sustain the company nearly forever the kind of Disney is, its a pity he is not going to see his dream.
Reminds me when Walt died before seeing walt disney world built.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So, have we just decided to forget the November Direct and the Smash Bros. presentation for reasons? Or the weekly Nintendo Minute videos (that can be about indie games / specific content from Nintendo or other devs games / top 10s / other different topic)? Or how they've recently upped their social presence by creating Snapchat/Tumblr/etc. accounts? Also, we've had news outside Directs before, even when Iwata was still alive. We've had the period where news were just given through PRs and updates on social networks since they felt it wasn't the right time to make a new Direct yet, but since last November we should be back to a more normal schedule, with Directs / presentations as major news comunication tools, with some bits here and there outside of them.

Nintendo minute is not really a powerful communication tool. It practically gets the views from the twitter/Fb accounts, it's not on top. The same with Snapchat/Tumblr.

Being two weeks out of seven months on the radar, yeah wonderful PR job.

If you think that's enough in the current world, good for you.

Sami+

oh wow, here comes the 'anime gonna ruin nintendo IPs' doom and gloom

image.php

This may shock you but it's literally undeniable that Fire Emblem has taken a new direction ("anime") and, stay with me here, some people don't like that direction or want to see it happen to other franchises.

edit - and for the record I say this as someone who likes a lot of anime

image.php

This may shock you but it's literally undeniable that Fire Emblem has taken a new direction ("anime") and, stay with me here, some people don't like that direction or want to see it happen to other franchises.

The key is that you can have something be "anime" without being anime. You know. That kind of anime.

RK128

Nintendo anime huh......that would be cool :).

Kid Icarus, Legend of Zelda, Xenoblade, or Fire Emblem would be the best fits for this for the following:
-Have an anime-like look that will naturally adapt to anime animation
-Stories could range from serious (Xenoblade, Fire Emblem), adventurous (Zelda) or humorous (Kid Icarus)
-Kid Icarus has a lot of potential with this to explode with popularity due to how funny the game was, anime for the game already produced (short animated clips prior to the games launch, ect) and it could have an amazing English localization just like Uprising got
-Zelda could be a grand adventure anime with a silent hero or mostly silent Link (styled/characterized like Jack from Samurai Jack) just exploring Hyrule, helping out the locals and exploring dungeons while on the hunt for the looming threat of Gannon. Zelda could be great character wise (doing actions, protecting the kingdom, ect) and Gannon could be a great multi-dimensional villain (give him a reason to want the triforce outside of power, have his connection to Gudo's be fleshed out, ect).
-Xenoblade and Fire Emblem could be like any type of action packed anime; large battles with army's, massive worlds to explore, ect. I wonder how the localization could be with this but it would be cool.

RK128

Mmm........

Could this mean that the NX is a service ala PS Now or something? Because I really wonder how they plan to keep on going hardware-wise when the Wii U isn't going great and the 3DS while okay, could be doing better.

Maybe they are being coy due to now wanting to announce the console/handheld too early but I don't know if they can ride out the Wii U for another two years :l. Maybe they could pull a Sony with the PS3 and after very aggressive moves (gutting whatever is need to lower the price, announce huge exclusives, ect) the Wii U could become better sales wise.

Either way, very interesting thing you pointed out.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mmm........

Could this mean that the NX is a service ala PS Now or something? Because I really wonder how they plan to keep on going hardware-wise when the Wii U isn't going great and the 3DS while okay, could be doing better.

Maybe they are being coy due to now wanting to announce the console/handheld too early but I don't know if they can ride out the Wii U for another two years :l. Maybe they could pull a Sony with the PS3 and after very aggressive moves (gutting whatever is need to lower the price, announce huge exclusives, ect) the Wii U could become better sales wise.

Either way, very interesting thing you pointed out.

We already know that NX is a hardware, they announced it as such. What that statement means is that it doesn't follow the mentality / style / approach behind 3DS and Wii U: it's a brand new start.

Gsnap

Well the DS wasn't a Gameboy successor either. They've made it pretty clear that they're still going to be making dedicated hardware, and they've also made it clear that they're moving away from the Wii brand.

So this statement more than likely means that whatever consoles/handhelds they release using the NX OS will not be a part of the Wii or DS brands. Aka not successors but new things.

RK128

We already know that NX is a hardware, they announced it as such. What that statement means is that it doesn't follow the mentality / style / approach behind 3DS and Wii U: it's a brand new start.

Ah, okay. Thank you for saying that :). Got confused for a moment I guess.

This must mean that the NX, like you said, is a completely new start for Nintendo this year/next year.

Very interested in hearing more about the NX as I hope Nintendo fixes issues past and present Nintendo consoles had (lack of 3rd party support, Gimmick that fully used, Modern Online systems being added in, ect).

Right but that and Pokemon released in markets outside of Japan before the games were released or had, at least, become huge hits.

I think people in here asking for a Zelda anime are missing what Nintendo wants to do and I doubt a Zelda anime would hardly have any impact on Zelda game sales.

While it may not exactly bolster their game sales, but it could open up a new revenue stream from the same group of fans. But then again, they don't really need an anime to really tap into that, when merchandising can be done without it.

An anime that targets young kids would make more sense for what they're goals are. which could still be done with the Zelda IP, though more likely it would be Mario or Animal Crossing.

GDGF

Soothsayer
On the subject of Splatoon anime, I'd like them to have the characters communicate in human dialogue, but have a heavy emphasis on music (like FLCL heavy), and keep all the lyrics played during the songs in inkling.

Haunted

Nintendo is still old school IMO and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they give Japan the NX love before everyone else.
Japan hasn't been the first territory to see a Nintendo console release since the Gamecube.

The order for the last 10 years has been either NA -> EU -> JP or NA -> JP -> EU.

RK128

Maybe NX is not targeting our audience.

Maybe its Nintendo's official mobile platform going forward?

Considering how long its taking them to generate iOS/Android apps, I could picture that being the core thing they are working on as that has the most chance to grab the causal market (unlike them making another console, which has 50/50 chance at appealing to the core gaming audience).

I wonder if they are using the NX platform to make two tier's of platform; traditional handheld, and special mobile platform. That way traditional games still are made and work across both, but the mobile apps are the big sellers for Nintendo (and the ones using the free-to-play mechanics they are testing water with for the past few years, with Nintendo Badge Arcade being an example of this, same with Rusty's Real Deal Baseball).

doop_

Banned
Maybe its Nintendo's official mobile platform going forward?

Considering how long its taking them to generate iOS/Android apps, I could picture that being the core thing they are working on as that has the most chance to grab the causal market (unlike them making another console, which has 50/50 chance at appealing to the core gaming audience).

I wonder if they are using the NX platform to make two tier's of platform; traditional handheld, and special mobile platform. That way traditional games still are made and work across both, but the mobile apps are the big sellers for Nintendo (and the ones using the free-to-play mechanics they are testing water with for the past few years, with Nintendo Badge Arcade being an example of this, same with Rusty's Real Deal Baseball).
I was thinking wii u level power, with carts instead of disks, super cheap.

Vena

It's the same source as the Twitter translation so why isn't this mentioned?

Because its not new information. They are following the same rhetoric as the GB->DS transition in branding. The DS/Wii line are dead, so the NX isn't their successor.

RK128

Fits the cart rumor and would be a smart way to re-use existing Wii U tech (as they have a lot of unsold units to re-use, pulling another Wii in the sense that the Wii was composed of GC tech re-used for the Wii).

Edit: Could even picture a special Nintendo controller being made for iOS/Android that allows access to the traditional games or the ability to use Wii U tech (pro controller, GC adapter, ect) with iOS/Android tech to play traditional games.

doop_

Banned
Fits the cart rumor and would be a smart way to re-use existing Wii U tech (as they have a lot of unsold units to re-use, pulling another Wii in the sense that the Wii was composed of GC tech re-used for the Wii).
The more i think about it the more it makes sense sadly...

RK128

The more i think about it the more it makes sense sadly...

Same here :(.

Considering how Nintendo really needs to start doing better and how their handhelds do great.....I really don't mind them going in this direction.

And personally, I would rather get a Nintendo Handheld then a Nintendo Console.

Vena

Edit: Could even picture a special Nintendo controller being made for iOS/Android that allows access to the traditional games or the ability to use Wii U tech (pro controller, GC adapter, ect) with iOS/Android tech to play traditional games.

Nonsense. No one produces those chipsets anymore, and Nintendo would be paying an absurd premium to manufacture them.

This isn't the same scenario at all.

RK128

Nonsense. No one produces those chipsets anymore, and Nintendo would be paying an absurd premium to manufacture them.

This isn't the same scenario at all.

What do you think Nintendo is doing then? As the more I think about the idea, the more it makes sense to me :l.

If not re-using Wii U Chip-sets, then they could be using tech slightly better then Wii U for their next handheld, with the mobile games on iOS/Android working on the handheld & vice versa.

Vena

What do you think Nintendo is doing then? As the more I think about the idea, the more it makes sense to me :l.

If not re-using Wii U Chip-sets, then they could be using tech slightly better then Wii U for their next handheld, with the mobile games on iOS/Android working on the handheld & vice versa.

It make zero sense.

A handheld with similar capabilities to the WiiU (relative to screen size)? Sure, that's possible running on ARM. It won't be using WiiU guts, though.

The console will likely run a big brother spec set on the handheld. ARM is nicely scalable, and ultimately its not the architecture that makes or breaks the result, its the tools supported by the chipset. Mobile games can be compiled to run on anything that supports their tools, this is another statement that has no real weight. They could do that with any modern hardware. And why would that be a bad thing? Mobile has great games on it.

GrandiaX

Banned
Look at all that information! Everything is clear now. Nintendo barely knows what they are doing at this point. Get ready to board the disappointment train.

image.php

But Fire Emblem has always been "anime"
Rzvry6V.jpg

What "anime" is though has evolved over time.
Anime doesn't belong in connection with Nintendo. As if Nintendo hasn't screwed up enough already.

Super Mario, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, F-Zero and Kid Icarus all have already had anime in the past in one form or another...

Sami+

The key is that you can have something be "anime" without being anime. You know. That kind of anime.

Oh for sure, but I'm not gonna go calling people for being hesitant about it. I don't think anyone here would be complaining about Berserk inspired Zelda.

-Horizon-

image.php

You say you like anime but to me it sounds like you are just generalizing and lumping all kinds of anime into one negative aspect and making it out to be some boogeyman ruining games.

One series going into one certain direction and suddenly people think that all nintendo studios are gonna head in that one direction as well.

RK128

It make zero sense.

A handheld with similar capabilities to the WiiU (relative to screen size)? Sure, that's possible running on ARM. It won't be using WiiU guts, though.

The console will likely run a big brother spec set on the handheld. ARM is nicely scalable, and ultimately its not the architecture that makes or breaks the result, its the tools supported by the chipset. Mobile games can be compiled to run on anything that supports their tools, this is another statement that has no real weight. They could do that with any modern hardware. And why would that be a bad thing? Mobile has great games on it.

I never said mobile had bad tech, so sorry if my statements meant that :(. Played a lot of iOS games a few years back when I had my iPod Touch 1st Gen and thought many games looked impressive (and they are only getting better).

The NX is such a mystery, so its really had to pin-point to what Nintendo is doing with the rumored platform right now :l.

I agree with you though; if we are getting a console it will be the high-spec version, the handheld will be the low-spec version while mobile can run most/all the games across both NX systems.

Top Bottom