• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo President Publishes Plans for 2016 in JP Newspaper

Neoxon

More 3DS games would be nice. For example Super Mario 3D Land 2.
Judging by Nintendo's output for the 3DS, it looks like they've already backed away from any major support of the system (much like they have with the Wii U). I wouldn't be surprised if the likely Pokémon Z served as the swan song for the 3DS as a platform.

Tookay

Getting us back on topic.

Yes, it seems that at a high level, QoL is no longer an explicit part of Nintendo's FY17 plans.

My questions would be:
- How much involvement in the QoL project did Mr. Iwata have? Did current events cause the project to go on hold?
- How much of the QoL mentality or how many concepts ended up in their current mobile and hardware plans?
- Was Mr. Kimishima ever involved in QoL and if so in what capacity?
Finally (going back to my earlier post)
- How much reserve human capital does Nintendo actually have to cover all of these new fronts? New hardware, new device (mobile) strategy and new licensing projects (movies, theme parks, etc.) is a significant undertaking for a firm who is generally been a master of one.

My guess is that QoL either got repurposed into other projects or was put on indefinite hold while Nintendo focuses its managerial strength on optimizing its business model in the ways Mr. Kimishima describes in this article.

Yeah, that's my impression as well.

I have no doubt that Iwata's death changed Nintendo's plans, but the disappearance of the QoL talk is particularly interesting to me.

Mr Swine

Banned
So it will be released in 2017, just like i predicted. Well that sucks.

tumblr_nwps4pjju31r962usp7.gif

Why in the world would they wait 1.5 years to release the NX when the 3DS and Wii U sales are in a downward spiral? Isn't this exactly the same problem Nintendo had with Wii to Wii U? The more they wait the more people will just buy a Xbone and PS4

It feels like only yesterday Nintendo and their fans were talking down on mobile games or the possibility of Nintendo making software for smartphones. Time sure does fly...

But people were demanding that they stop being a hardware company and make only mobile games. Either that or just wanted them to port their games or make mainline games on mobile.

Vena

Considering that both the 3DS and Wii U have had sparse line-ups for years, this means nothing. Hell, their next system could have the same fate.

All upcoming software is consolidated to first half/third of 2016, which is highly unusual for Nintendo's general strategy with spreading titles.

Also the whole point of the NX would be to avoid said scenario.

AdanVC

Why in the world would they wait 1.5 years to release the NX when the 3DS and Wii U sales are in a downward spiral? Isn't this exactly the same problem Nintendo had with Wii to Wii U? The more they wait the more people will just buy a Xbone and PS4

Exactly. I don't see how Nintendo would survive this year if they wait until 2017 for NX. Maybe Zelda on Wii U and Pokémon Z on 3DS would ease things out but it would be only for a few weeks. Nintendo needs new hardware ASAP.

Not if they consolidate all of their games for both consoles & handhelds into one pool of software. One of the major reasons behind the software droughts is because Nintendo's spreading themselves too thin. They can't support two separate platforms, anymore. And if anything, the sparse 2015 does indicate the transition to the NX Platform even more.

They had no problem developing for more than one platform before. The problem with the Wii U was that developing games in HD was a lot more time consuming and costly than generations prior. Sony and Microsoft have this problem too but they have third party support to supplement what ever software droughts they have. Now I think Nintendo has some ideas about how to streamline that. But who knows. I don't think this multiple form factor bs Neoxon keeps insisting will happen will solve everything.

Neoxon

They had no problem developing for more than one platform before. The problem with the Wii U was that developing games in HD was a lot more time consuming and costly than generations prior. Sony and Microsoft have this problem too but they have third party support to supplement what ever software droughts they have. Now I think Nintendo has some ideas about how to streamline that. But who knows. I don't think this mythical handheld/console hybrid will solve everything.
I never said hybrid. I was referring to multiple devices under the same NX (or whatever the final name is) umbrella. But going forward, the issue of Nintendo spreading themselves too thin will only get worse as their consoles & handhelds become more powerful.

All upcoming software is consolidated to first half/third of 2016, which is highly unusual for Nintendo's general strategy with spreading titles.

Also the whole point of the NX would be to avoid said scenario.

Zeldaaa?

But I think I remember Code Name Steam was the only scheduled title for the year on 3DS.
I'm not yet convinced they would relase multiple system types simultaneously, handheld could come first.

Vena

Zeldaaa?

But I think I remember Code Name Steam was the only scheduled title for the year on 3DS.
I'm not yet convinced they would relase multiple system types simultaneously, handheld could come first.

Zelda being a cross-platform release would, indeed, come later in the year. I was focusing on titles specifically for the WiiU/3DS, all of them are getting crowded.

SalvaPot

So, lets list the franchises and specific games and how they are great fit for anime:

Xenoblade Chronicles Wii: The story its so fucking good on its own, with great twists and lovable characters.
Paper Mario: This one could work as an OVA or short 5 minutes short.
Kid Icarus Uprising: Give it to BONES, they know what to do.
Punch Out Generations The first chapter can be Doc Louis final battle and how he couldn't fight anymore, but when he opens a Gym he finds a plucky young man with a short stature but a mean punch. The story goes back and forth between Doc Louis fights (Shown in flashbacks) and Little Mac fights (In the present).
Fire Emblem This one could work best as an original story. They could adapt one of the better stories, but chances are they would either go with the OG or with Fates.
FUCKING Donkey Kong Make it CGI, everything else is optional.
Wario Animation Mega Micro Shorts A collection of comedy segments introduced by our host Wario and his band of friends. The shorts can be from any and every Nintendo I.P.
Legend of Zelda. I think Majora's Mask would be the easiest to adapt if given to someone like Madhouse or David Pro. Maybe Skyward Sword, because of the waifu power of that version of Zelda and Groose.
F-Zero Legacy DIrect sequel to the original anime. I just want more.
Yoshi and Kirby Plush Adventures This one could easily be a kids show. Two hungry friends in search of fun.
Animal Crossing This one is simple. An adorable slice of life series.
Earthbound Just adapt all the stories. All of them.

They had no problem developing for more than one platform before. The problem with the Wii U was that developing games in HD was a lot more time consuming and costly than generations prior. Sony and Microsoft have this problem too but they have third party support to supplement what ever software droughts they have. Now I think Nintendo has some ideas about how to streamline that. But who knows. I don't think this multiple form factor bs Neoxon keeps insisting will happen will solve everything.
Well times change, they are having problems now supporting both platforms. This software will solve an issue. It wont solve a problem though unless its a hybrid. And it wont have problems to solve if Nintendo does it right. It doesnt need to be a hybrid to solve the problem and games wont either.

Technically Nintendo are starting fresh. Currently they have 0 problems.

I hope by "old ideas" he means all of the crap Miyamoto's doing with providing new experiences like project giant robo, and by "new ideas" he means going back to GameCube era stuff.

Well times change, they are having problems now supporting both platforms. This software will solve an issue. It wont solve a problem though unless its a hybrid. And it wont have problems to solve if Nintendo does it right. It doesnt need to be a hybrid to solve the problem and games wont either.

Technically Nintendo are starting fresh. Currently they have 0 problems.

No it won't. I mean Sony and MS are basically supporting one single platform and they're having trouble getting first party stuff out and they arguably didn't get the ball rolling on next gen until recently. One platform to consolidate their games won't solve the software problem. Streamlined developer tools, more smaller scaled games and third party support will and the latter is an uncertainty.

So it will be released in 2017, just like i predicted. Well that sucks.

tumblr_nwps4pjju31r962usp7.gif

I feel like if they're going to cover release details, that means this year. They just don't want to say that yet.

Oh one hand, Wii U and 3DS development has already clearly wound down (we're already seeing the results of that, so it must've been happening for a while). As much as I like Star Fox, it doesn't carry a console by itself (Zelda is supposed to help with that, but I'm in the camp of it being a Twilight Princess situation at this point), so you'd think the NX would hit this year.

Then again, the Wii limped along pretty lamely for quite a while (with the single highlight/result of that period being Skyward Sword), so maybe it'll happen again. Nintendo keeps finding ways to surprise me.

AdanVC

I hope by "old ideas" he means all of the crap Miyamoto's doing with providing new experiences like project giant robo, and by "new ideas" he means going back to GameCube era stuff.

Oh wow I totally forgot about those Miyamoto games/experiments... Pretty silly concepts IMO. Those concepts are the type of gimmicks people doesn't want to experience anymore.

I really honestly don't know how Nintendo can be successful In a traditional console market. Even with all the horse power and third party support in the world, mainstream gamers are not gonna drop their playstation and xboxes

Kids don't like Nintendo. They like call of duty and curse words. 12 year olds are not gonna be caught dead with a Nintendo system. I don't know how Nintendo gets the call of duty madden crowd. I just don't see a situation in which this happens

No it won't. I mean Sony and MS are basically supporting one single platform and they're having trouble getting first party stuff out and they arguably didn't get the ball rolling on next gen until recently. One platform to consolidate their games won't solve the software problem. Streamlined developer tools, more smaller scaled games and third party support will and the latter is an uncertainty.
Like I said there is 0 problems at the moment. If this was a traditional every day console then yes there would be problems but there arent any.You guys are creating problems on a product you know nothing about.

People who keep thinking the NX will be revealed before E3 with the console out by FALL 2016 are going to be disappointed. November 2016 is the absolute earliest any part of the NX will release. Spring 2017 seems more likely to me

AdanVC

No Nintendo, please, don't try to surprise me. Just make a normal console. Everything else sounds dope tho.

Fear, fear the gimmicky consoles and unique experiences like shaking your hips to make Mario jump approaching closer and closer! Buaahaha >:)

Neoxon

People who keep thinking the NX will be revealed before E3 with the console out by FALL 2016 are going to be disappointed. We're still a long way away before getting this thing
To be fair, we do have reason to believe that we'll get it soon based on Nintendo backing away from major 3DS & Wii U support.

NahaNago

I really honestly don't know how Nintendo can be successful In a traditional console market. Even with all the horse power and third party support in the world, mainstream gamers are not gonna drop their playstation and xboxes

Kids don't like Nintendo. They like call of duty and curse words. 12 year olds are not gonna be caught dead with a Nintendo system. I don't know how Nintendo gets the call of duty madden crowd. I just don't see a situation in which this happens

Well at this moment we don't even know if they are buckling down on the Nintendo hardcore/niche or going for the cod and madden crowd. After how many amiibos i've bought and i'm not even a big Nintendo fan i could see them milking the Nintendo and otaku fanboys like crazy if they released a steady stream of great games and products.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What is this thread about now?

It's a trip down memory lane to 2012 and how terrible is Wii U and Iwata plus a return to the future of Nintendo anime plus a discussion about Splatoon voice chat plus Nintendo vs. HD development. All in one. Crazy.

Neoxon

I'm a huge Nintendo fanboy, but you have more faith in their business making decisions than I do.
Not necessarily. In fact, I've usually been a bit cynical (especially with Nintendo's prospect of ever getting western third parties back). It's just that Nintendo can't drag their feet with the Wii U & the 3DS past this year. Sure, maybe they can get away with no 3DS successor until early 2017, but that's it.

Vena

Their throughput is considerably lower than Nintendo's, they simply have 3rd Parties as a saving dice throw (and in this gen, the only dice throw that really matters).

That said, Nintendo develops, internally, enough games per year to have ~2 games per month (plus a small handful of their usual digital-only small titles whenever), but their current output has been split between the 3DS and the WiiU. The complexity of a 3DS game (and budget) isn't that far from modern games (not AAA obviously) but with the saving grace of needing/using lower production asset models. Internally consistent tools and a streamlined asset generation beltline would greatly cut into their time-issues as they've been having to make assets, tools, and engines completely parallel to one another between the wildly different 3DS and WiiU.

The Wii went almost 1.5 years without support before Wii U dropped. Wii U seems to be on that pace

The difference is, the Wii sold well to the bitter end. And by virtue of being cheaper to make, made more money in the process.

The N64 and Gamecube were done the instant they recieved their last major first party titles. The Wii was a big exception due to it's continued legs.

What is this thread about now?

It's a trip down memory lane to 2012 and how terrible is Wii U and Iwata plus a return to the future of Nintendo anime plus a discussion about Splatoon voice chat plus Nintendo vs. HD development. All in one. Crazy.

You forgot the Gamecube. Apparently Nintendo's new ideas should involve going back to the GCN era for some reason.

Sami+

I was never a fan of Iwata's Nintendo sadly (no disrespect to him, but personally I just didn't like the way he ran the company at all), but this doesn't inspire me with confidence.

At best though I can play Pokemon and Mario RPGs on my phone, or Rhythm Heaven or something. That might be neat.

I'd actually buy another Nintendo console if it launches with a bunch of great games and the hardware isn't out of date trash shackled to a dumb gimmick, but I don't expect it. Eh. They'll do what they do and I'll just continue playing on other platforms, maybe buy one used down the line for Smash like I did with the Wii U.

Oersted

Well at this moment we don't even know if they are buckling down on the Nintendo hardcore/niche or going for the cod and madden crowd. After how many amiibos i've bought and i'm not even a big Nintendo fan i could see them milking the Nintendo and otaku fanboys like crazy if they released a steady stream of great games and products.

They want to bring out Amiibo games and smartphone apps. Both?

I was never a fan of Iwata's Nintendo sadly (no disrespect to him, but personally I just didn't like the way he ran the company at all), but this doesn't inspire me with confidence.

At best though I can play Pokemon and Mario RPGs on my phone, or Rhythm Heaven or something. That might be neat.

I'd actually buy another Nintendo console if it launches with a bunch of great games and the hardware isn't out of date trash shackled to a dumb gimmick, but I don't expect it. Eh. They'll do what they do and I'll just continue playing on other platforms, maybe buy one used down the line for Smash like I did with the Wii U.

You are replying to something, but I'm not totally sure what.

When it comes to putting effort into the hardware? Yes. When it comes to not putting out hardware a generation behind the competition? Yes. It'd be nice.
I'm glad you softened your wording on Iwata in subsequent posts. Earlier just read as dickish.

Given the moves both Sony and MS made with this generation of hardware (not really going for expensive and powerful) I can safely say you're probably closer than you think about Nintendo re-entering a part of the hardware race. Getting close to (in a brute power sense) should be significantly cheaper than it has been for them in two generations. A position not entirely dissimilar to the one they found themselves in with both the SNES, and N64. Releasing direct competition, years later, with competitive hardware (maybe an advantage/disadvantage here or there).

But you have to remember, even their "competitive hardware" tends to have some big disadvantages. The storage mediums of the N64 and GCN, the CPU of the SNES, the main memory of the GCN, the tiny texture mem of the N64.

I could see it releasing with a GPU on par with One, a higher clocked CPU than both, and a main memory pool of 8 gigs GDDR3 clocked at 800MHz. Because... Nintendo.

Oersted

I'm glad you softened your wording on Iwata in subsequent posts. Earlier just read as dickish.

Given the moves both Sony and MS made with this generation of hardware (not really going for expensive and powerful) I can safely say you're probably closer than you think about Nintendo re-entering a part of the hardware race. Getting close to (in a brute power sense) should be significantly cheaper than it has been for them in two generations. A position not entirely dissimilar to the one they found themselves in with both the SNES, and N64. Releasing direct competition, years later, with competitive hardware (maybe an advantage/disadvantage here or there).

But you have to remember, even their "competitive hardware" tends to have some big disadvantages. The storage mediums of the N64 and GCN, the CPU of the SNES, the main memory of the GCN, the tiny texture mem of the N64.

I could see it releasing with a GPU on par with One, a higher clocked CPU than both, and a main memory pool of 8 gigs GDDR3 clocked at 800MHz. Because... Nintendo.

That is a assumption based on the assumption that NX is a traditional homeconsole?

TheJoRu

No Nintendo, please, don't try to surprise me. Just make a normal console. Everything else sounds dope tho.

I'd say them making a traditional (boring) console would be more surprising at this point than something unique and different. So hey, maybe that's what we're getting! ;)

The Giant

Banned
I want theatrical releases. A big budget Mario animated movie might go a long way to getting kids invested in the brand again.

Opening weekend will mainly be guys in their 20s and 30s, of course.

Going by the leaked Sony emails. Sony Pictures are making a CGI Mario movie after hinting at getting the rights. Also possibly the rights for a smash bros movie.

Oersted

I want theatrical releases. A big budget Mario animated movie might go a long way to getting kids invested in the brand again.

Opening weekend will mainly be guys in their 20s and 30s, of course.

There is nothing about Mario that keeps kids away. At worst, it would be a new IP.

Yeah, I'm just a monkey sitting at a comp talking bullshit.

Not what I'm saying. Its just noticeable that we talk about NX almost exclusively as traditional home console like GCN/Wii/WiiU.

Details sure as hell doesn't sound like a 2016 release, does it?

Looks like nx is not coming out this year

There's not a chance in hell they would announce the NX is releasing this year in this way, this early, while there are still a handful of major Wii U games on the way. The console is already on life support as it is, they're not going to just yank the plug at the start of the year when a new system wouldn't debut until this fall.

Not what I'm saying. Its just noticeable that we talk about NX almost exclusively as traditional home console like GCN/Wii/WiiU.

Because that's what GAF wants most from Nintendo. I am hoping they don't go the traditional console route, though, because there's nothing there for them that they couldn't do with a system marginally more powerful than the WiiU. It's not like Nintendo is in the business of making huge complex games, and their 'second'-parties nor third parties are making such games for them either. There are small exceptions like XBX, but games like that are not what Nintendo or their platforms are known for.

Oersted

Because that's what GAF wants most from Nintendo. I am hoping they don't go the traditional console route, though, because there's nothing there for them that they couldn't do with a system marginally more powerful than the WiiU. It's not like Nintendo is in the business of making huge complex games, and their 'second'-parties nor third parties are making such games for them either. There are small exceptions like XBX, but games like that are not what Nintendo or their platforms are known for.

I know why many Gaffers talk about NX almost exclusively as traditional home console. I'm saying that it is not neccessarly a traditional home console.

Otherwise, I agree. Well, except you forgot Zelda, Smash and Mario Kart. But its true, they should actually drop out and do something different. That, or another generation with a compelling gimmick. Even though gimmicks are also high risk investments these days, see PSVR and Kinect.

Top Bottom