• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey GAF, am I a jerk and just don't realize it?

Edit - Due to complete and utter confusion all around I have decided to condense the story as much as I could.

Story in condensed form:

Today my fiancé was concerned that her cousin may not have gotten a Facebook memo about a girlscout event being changed. This concern stems due to her cousin not using Facebook regularly. She thought of texting her cousin to let her know, but ended up not doing so.

I bumped into said cousin when I picked up my daughter from the girlscout event. After knowing of my fiancé concern she asked if she should tell my fiancé that she wasn't told, and as a result went to the wrong location. Not thinking it would cause a shit storm, I told her to go ahead.

Fiancé got pissed off at me because she nearly called the troop leader to tear her a new one for not properly informing every parent outside of a single Facebook post.

I had troubles following the story, sorry.

edit:

Bravo, OP, much better this time.

I almost wish you'd saved the original for posterity, so I did it for you:

Serious question because I'm in a bit of a rut at home. Here's the scoop.

Today me and my fiancé had a discussion about getting out more. We are always cooped up at home and rarely go anywhere with other people. If we go out with people it is usually family. We decided to go to a party in July for my daughters troop leader to break up the monotony.

Later that same day I took my daughter to an event and met up with my fiancé' cousin. My fiancé earlier was concerned her coursing didn't get an update about the event changing and hoped she didn't go to the original place which was like 10 minutes out of the way.

After the event was over her cousin asked if she should text my fiancé and say she went to the original location before realizing the event location was changed.

Her cousin texted her.

My fiancé flipped out on me for it. Almost called the troop leader and yelled at her before her cousin told her she was joking and obviously terrible at playing jokes. I was basically told to get away from her. She said she's not cool that that with her cousin, a cousin she has only told me she liked and who we just saw a week or so ago at my daughters communion party. Her daughter is in my daughters troop. I see her weekly.

Did I seriously fuck up? Am I an asshole? I've never had anyone react this way before. I'm a joking type of guy, been this way my entire life. I can't help but feel I can't ever try to have fun with her.

Ugh, my night just went to shit.

kmfdmpig

Everything made sense until the parts that mattered, which were impossible to follow.
It sounds like it was your fiance's cousin that planned and executed the joke. I'm not sure why you're on the hook for that, but not really sure I'm following the story either.

Tagyhag

Wait I don't get it, so you guys tried to play a joke on your fiance for a second and she flopped out?

Or you guys actually made her drive 10 minutes away?

MikeyB

Who did what? Someone texted about the original place or something and then there was inconvenience? Who? How much inconvenience?

You are a jerk for posing a question and not providing clear enough details to even begin to answer it. That much is clear.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
...I'm lost on what went down. But if it boils down to you yelling at someone when the stakes are going 10 minutes out of your way, maybe. It isn't that serious.

Are you also high, mate?

Sort out that story, it doesn't follow.

Basically my fiancé thought her cousin may not have gotten a memo about tonight's girlscout event changing locations. She thought of texting her but decided not to.

Her cousin later tonight asked me if she should text my fiancé and tell her she went to the original location first. I said to go ahead.

My fiancé flipped out on me and now wants nothing to do with me.

I also see everyone is confused. So am I.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I'm having trouble reading the sequence of events in the OP

edit: fark, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

So...

1: The location was changed and you and your fiances cousin knew and didn't tell your fiance?

or

2: You told her it changed though it never did?

Sorry, I'm lost here.

Salmonax

So you let your fiancée go to the wrong place that was 10 minutes out of her way, presumably to pick you up? I have no idea if that's right, but I'm trying to make sense of it.

Also, what do you mean about not ever being able to have fun with your fiancee? Would it have been fun for her to pick you up on time?

Just no clue what's happening...

Alucrid

Banned
Basically my fiancé thought her cousin may not have gotten a memo about tonight's girlscout event changing locations. She thought of texting her but decided not to.

Her cousin later tonight asked me if she should text my fiancé and tell her she went to the original location first. I said to go ahead.

isn't your fiance the jerk for not updating her cousin?

cr0w

Old Member
I'm gonna say you're a jerk for confusing the shit out of me. I can't make hide nor hair out of anything relevant to your situation.

ColdPizza

Banned

Just let her blow off some steam. But it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

kmfdmpig

I mean it doesn't sound funny at all, but doesn't sound like a major deal either. I'd probably be frustrated and annoyed if my fiance wasted my time with that type of nonsense, but I wouldn't turn it into WWIII. Have you joked a lot with your fiance and had it backfire before so that this was just the straw that broke the camel's back?

Yeah, unless I'm missing something that sounds like an insane overreaction.

Nowise10

So you played a slight joke and shes upset?

Then no, you weren't being a jerk in that situation.

I gotta say OP, I'm with everyone else here. I can't follow your story. This is the part where everything went awry:
After the event was over her cousin asked if she should text my fiancé and say she went to the original location before realizing the event location was changed.

Her cousin texted her.

Please attempt a second draft.

Edit:

Ooooooh. Okay. So the cousin decided to toll your fiance a little bit for not texting her the info. You encouraged it, and she's pissed.
I guess it's kinda mean to encourage family drama like that but not 'nothing to do with me' mean. She's overacting a little here. She may have a tough history with that cousin though which could add some extra baggage to the situation.

Bad move putting yourself right in that situation, OP. Made a dangerous play and lost. Now you know to stay out of it next time.

Why even get between the cross fire. Your fiancee is mad at her cousin.

If she is mad at you for stupid reason, just apologize and pass the ball to her. If she wants to continue mad at you for a little joke its not your problem.

P.S. you and your fiancee have never joked before?

kmfdmpig

Sentences like this don't go far to clear things up as it's unclear who "her" and "she" refer to (I suspect that at times they refer to the fiance and other times to the cousin, which makes it confusing).

Tagyhag

Funny typo.

Story has me all kinds of twisted lol.

OK well, I don't see why that's on you. You're saying your fiance decided not to tell her about the new location, not you.

Sounds like she feels guilty and wants to place the blame on you. Fucked up if so.

Also, any idea what her cousin said in the text? Maybe it was something crazy like "EUPHORIA TOLD ME IT WAS YOUR IDEA TO NOT TELL ME ABOUT THE NEW LOCATION YOU BOTTOM FEEDER" which would go with you saying she's not good at jokes lol.

subrock

so TLDR is: Everything worked out, but cousin tried to troll fiancee that she was confused by the venue change. Now fiancee is mad because she's embarrassed?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So you played the worlds lamest prank and your fiance freaked the fuck out?

Seems like there's more going on for that kind reaction to such a weak prank. Probably should just apologize and ask what's wrong, or lay low till she calms down.

Alucrid

Banned
so TLDR is: Everything worked out, but cousin tried to troll fiancee that she was confused by the venue change. Now fiancee is mad because she's embarrassed?

wait i bet this thread is an elaborate joke by the op and his fiance's mastermind troll cousin. i bet they're laughing at us right now. op is a jerk after all.

Top Bottom