• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey GAF, am I a jerk and just don't realize it?

Basically my fiancé thought her cousin may not have gotten a memo about tonight's girlscout event changing locations. She thought of texting her but decided not to.

Her cousin later tonight asked me if she should text my fiancé and tell her she went to the original location first. I said to go ahead.

My fiancé flipped out on me and now wants nothing to do with me.

I also see everyone is confused. So am I.
Ok, got it.

Ya, you fucked up. Never be on the side of someone who wants to embarrass your partner.

I mean it doesn't sound funny at all, but doesn't sound like a major deal either. I'd probably be frustrated and annoyed if my fiance wasted my time with that type of nonsense, but I wouldn't turn it into WWIII. Have you joked a lot with your fiance and had it backfire before so that this was just the straw that broke the camel's back?

We joke all the time and she never had a reaction like this.

My daughter plays pranks on her too. We joke around all the time.

Tonight was just so different that I'm thrown off my guard and don't know how to react going forward.

GKnight

Banned
I have decent comprehension skills but what on earth...
If you hurt her feelings on purpose you are a jerk if not no

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Her cousin and me tried to play a joke.

I'm going to try and make more sense of the original post.
Let me help you with a paraphrased version.

Fiance: "The Girl Scout event location for tonight changed, maybe I should text my cousin to make sure she knows. Nah, I won't bother."

later at the event the OP and the fiance's cousin are talking

OP: "Your cousin thought to text you about the location change but didn't bother to"
Cousin: "I should text her and lie that I went to the wrong place"
OP: "That'll be funny, do it"

later fiance gets mad at OP

Fiance: "I can't believe you exposed me being a jerk by willfully not telling my cousin the event location changed!"

Alebrije

KAibZmgQOpcqB4sU4pGyKnHdM1UGF8zd6cweOdgU8c5A_2MEepSJKm7LZ5jevMz7o0TTmbHEEhQQ2fFaEktjLcSsLxoVfliJmc_HTUGAk30Ji2Ml5W7webweO78hryAcHFmC1SU_oUTCT9X6AeZpJhLCcAIFHkmb=w500-h207-nc

subrock

Fiance: "The Girl Scout event location for tonight changed, maybe I should text my cousin to make sure she knows. Nah, I won't bother."

OP: "Your cousin thought to text you about the location change but didn't bother to"

Fiance: "I can't believe you exposed me being a jerk by willfully not telling my cousin the event location changed!"
have you ever considered a career in cryptography?

EVIL

So how did your fiance discovered that you gave the go ahead for your cousin to make her rightfully feel bad because she decided not to inform your cousin?

Can a mod put this on the OP?

So how did your fiance discovered that you gave the go ahead for your cousin to make her rightfully feel bad because she decided not to inform your cousin?

I guess her cousin told her. Her cousin told me right off the bat that the joke would last like 30 seconds because she is terrible at joking around.

Anyways my fiancé has very bad anxiety but I've never known she was that way around her family as well.

Apparently I'm learning tonight that she is super uncomfortable around that side of her family, even though she has only told me over the last 10 years how this one cousin was always the one she liked, because she was always so kind to her.

now i feel weird that i understood immediatly what OP meant while so many people didn't.... Maybe cause english isn't my first language?

now i feel weird that i understood immediatly what OP meant while so many people didn't.... Maybe cause english isn't my first language?

I feel bad for what I did and also feel dumb for writing out a story people couldn't follow.

I also went back and changed it. It was worse at first.

I'm on a roll tonight.

What did your fiance say after she was toyed with in this fashion?

She was mad because she said she was ready to call the troop leader and yell at her for not informing everyone outside of Facebook.

We hashed it out though. We are good now.

I think she realized that she overreacted at the bad attempt at humor.

You need to work on your communication skills for a multitude of reasons.

Judging by the reactions to the cluster fuck of a story I wrote, I see what you mean.

Being an author was never my strong suit.

Edit - I gave my writing skills another go at it. I think I might make sense now!

Yes you sound like a Jerk. Your fiancé sounds like she is way too worried about phone calls she almost made.

Hey, I think someone was able to finally follow my story!

Success!

Seriously though, I realized later on that it was a very bad choice on my part. I won't be making that mistake again.

gaiages

Banned

Friggin' THANK YOU

I mean it seems she overreacted, but it also wasn't the best joke.

I'm sure it'll all blow over soon enough, if it hasn't already.

Top Bottom