• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Apparently pirates beat ninjas, just saw that at the PA forum.

Princess Skittles said:
Yup. It summoned a sign that said "Played Out."
you're so funny

Teasel

sooooo
tarrasque.gif

?

mj1108

Feep said:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.

This post had better be in the thread created for the game when it's released.

Ramenman

Dacvak said:

OMG this game is the solution to all the "Who would win in a match between ___ and ___ ?" Gamefaqs threads.

octopusman said:
Just out of curiosity are there modifiers like "flying" or "flaming" that can be applied in front of objects?

In another thread, someone asked about "Giant Flaming Bear", and a 5th Cell guy said that's a no.

But he said that you can type "Bear" and then set the bear on fire (if it doesn't eat you alive before you have the time to :D ).

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Feep said:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES.This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.
Just think about that for a moment. Think about what that means.

It means I'm buying day ONE.

Azure J

My God, this game is amazing. I just don't know what else to say about it. I saw feep's post about the game on like 3 different forums I go to and had to come back here for more details. AND. I. WAS. NOT. DISAPPOINTED. :lol

With this and Drawn to Life under their belts, 5th Cell is now officially one of my absolute favorite new developers. Bravo guys, I can't wait to see what you all do next. :D

EDIT - Also, since it seems like Jackson has something to do with them, if you decide to put in a GAF shoutout, it has to be the GAF symbol smiley which rotates one time then is replaced with a blank square that reads 500 - Internal Server Error. :lol

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Ramenman said:
OMG this game is the solution to all the "Who would win in a match between ___ and ___ ?" Gamefaqs threads.
My first thought was Superman vs Goku, but I imagine that couldn't happen due to licensing.

Perhaps "Superman" would summon Nietsche? :D

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Goddamn this game looks amazing, it's a shame we have to wait a while longer for it though. I just want it so bad, the vids are tweaking my imagination something fierce.

Is Drawn to Life of a similar caliber of awesome? If so I might buy it just to tide me over.

ringlord

I knew very little about this game until I read this thread and watched the e3 videos.

Result?
=====

The following item will be shipped to ******** in ********* via Two-Day Shipping:

Scribblenauts (Video Games)
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
Review or edit your 1-Click orders

You have 30 minutes to:

* Change address, shipping method or quantities
* Add gift-wrap or a gift note

Continue Shopping on the Amazon.com home page.

Drakken

Ferrio said:
This game went from non-existent to my most anticipated game.

Same here. This is the ultimate "Just show someone and they're sold" game.

Shame it wasn't demoed at Nintendo's conference. I know it's not first-party, but they showed other third-party titles, so why not this? As someone else said, they could have asked the audience members to shout out suggestions for words to try and such. Ah well. Hopefully it gets proper marketing, though even if it doesn't I'm sure this will be a strong word-of-mouth seller.

Blizzard

Banned
Fuu said:
Apparently pirates beat ninjas, just saw that at the PA forum.
This may be my favorite game, EVER.

*edit* Oh, it IS on Amazon! I wonder why it was the last search result (Drawn to Life comes up first). And $30, like most DS games, awesome. Unfortunately that October 1 release date makes me think it's still a placeholder...knowing how slow Amazon's shipping is for new releases, I'll probably try to find it in Wal-mart or Gamestop first.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ringlord said:
I knew very little about this game until I read this thread and watched the e3 videos.

The following item will be shipped to ******** in ********* via Two-Day Shipping:

Good god your parents gave you a shitty name.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I wish there were more games with even 1/10th of the creativity of this one... sounds really nice, can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I think at this point we just need to spread the love via word of mouth and stuff. This game deserves a huge release and big sales.

Hopefully we'll see a Christmas release and everyone here will get it for their good friends and family as a gift since it truly captures the imagination of everyone. My dad would love this game. My grandpa would love this game. My littler brother would love this game. My older sister would love this game. Everyone would love this game, so let's really try and push sales as high as possible. 5th Cell deserves it.

Alright, enough of my pimping, can we get more show floor videos from anywhere?

Jedeye Sniv said:
Is Drawn to Life of a similar caliber of awesome? If so I might buy it just to tide me over.
It's sure to put smiles on your face, but if you're going to it after watching some Scribblenauts I don't know that it can live up.

Haunted

Are there any vids showing the handwriting recognition out there?

I heard 5th Cell is doing their own instead of using Nintendo's Decuma engine.

Unison

Haunted said:
Are there any vids showing the handwriting recognition out there?

I heard 5th Cell is doing their own instead of using Nintendo's Decuma engine.

I am pretty sure it uses an on-screen keyboard for text entry...

rhino4evr said:
Sadly, unless it has a HUGE marketing push then I don't think so. Why Nintendo didn't show this off instead of Murder Club or Dress up is beyond me. It's pretty innovative..and I would not know anything about it, if it wasn't for GAF.
You know... if Nintendo doesn't want to market this, there's nothing really stopping Microsoft from swooping in and making Scribblenauts one of their showcase titles for Xbox Natal.

Have it prebundled with every Natal system, Hi-Def the graphics, gamers can "say" what they want to appear instead of having to type it in and then interact with it using the motion camera.

I wonder what my avatar would look like in "scribble" form.

Haunted

Unison said:
I am pretty sure it uses an on-screen keyboard for text entry...
BorkBork said:
It does both. Check the trailer video.
Yeah, but I haven't seen it shown outside of that trailer. I had hoped for some footage from the show floor.

Jackson said:
Btw, NeoGAF is confirmed to be in Scribblenauts.
:lol Good job, man. Game of the Show.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
My current words I want to see:

Wallpaper
Air Conditioner
Catapult
Chuck Norris
Nuke
Scribblenauts
Vomit
Uganda
Taco
Spring
Condom
Cesium
Scissors
Dream
Rollercoaster
Flagpole
Spork
Shelf
Button
BFG
Shingle
Blood
Lightning
Jupiter
Watergun
Bong

I'm going to stump it, dammit.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
This is the best game I've seen come out of the show. I never would have thought a DS title would be my fave after all the high powered hypnotism and fireworks.

Dacvak

Musashi Wins! said:
This is the best game I've seen come out of the show. I never would have thought a DS title would be my fave after all the high powered hypnotism and fireworks.

Oh, and "fireworks."

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Musashi Wins! said:

That's exactly what's so fucking great about this. You've got games with millions poured in towards rendering freckles and bloodstains attempting to emulate the biggest movie blockbusters and to outdo one another in size and scope. (Not that there's anything wrong with that) Then along comes a game for the weakest system on the market with a absurdedly simple, albeit insane concept which fires up everyone's imagination. It's MAGIC.

Dacvak

Clever Pun said:
if you're going meta, don't forget Objectnaut

Oh man, writing "Objectnaut" lets you put in your own objects! :lol

I bet this game runs Crysis.

Dacvak

BrokenFiction said:
I am going to have to build a time machine because I need this game NOW.

Just write it down.

Oh fuck wait

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/05/hands-on-scribblenauts/

Another level placed a pool of water with a shark inside between us and the Starite. While a few options may have allowed us to circumvent the shark-infested waters, we all decided to take him out. I tried dropping a sword on its head pointy-side down, but it bounced harmlessly off its thick hide. I then dropped a hair dryer into the water with more electrifying, fruitful results.

Chris attempted to drop dynamite into the water, though the splash extinguished the fuse. He then threw waterproof C Four into the water, effectively recreating the ending of Jaws. J.C. created a Kraken, which fought with and ultimately bested the shark.

Andrew created a teleporter in an attempt to instantly apparate to the Starite -- instead, it took him to a medieval world where he was besieged by shadowy assassins. He tried distracting them with candy -- really, Andrew? -- then created a fairly anachronistic nuke. The nuke didn't detonate, however, so andrew created a laser rifle to take out the assassins. One of his lasers grazed the aforementioned WMD, and blew up the entire level.

AzureJericho said:
EDIT - Also, since it seems like Jackson has something to do with them, if you decide to put in a GAF shoutout, it has to be the GAF symbol smiley which rotates one time then is replaced with a blank square that reads 500 - Internal Server Error. :lol

Better yet, just cut the sound and fill the screen with white with "500 - Internal Server Error" at the top left for like 15 seconds before it goes back to normal.

Top Bottom