• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Forkball

Feep said:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.
Shocked.gif

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
MirageDwarf said:
This thread must get new title stat - "I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES."

Mods? Please? Amir0x I know you like this game. CHANGE THE TITLE!

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
BorkBork said:
Mods? Please? Amir0x I know you like this game. CHANGE THE TITLE!
Also, I nominate him for a tag!

(neutral) Feep
Sold! (with a link to his comment)
(Today, 02:26 AM)

AMIRITE!?

Is this bannable, I'm not backseat modding here right? Thats just attacking not loving right?

...right?

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Feep said:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.

:lol well fuck, I guess I'm not selling my DS after all.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Feep said:
- FUCK YES ONLINE LEVEL SHARING CONFIRMED. Friend Codes and all, but what-the-fuck-ever.
It's just so weird, knowing 2009's GOTY before the year is even half over.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Staccat0 said:
Also, I nominate him for a tag!

(neutral) Feep
Sold! (with a link to his comment)
(Today, 02:26 AM)

AMIRITE!?

Is this bannable, I'm not backseat modding here right? Thats just attacking not loving right?

...right?
Welp, its been nice knowing you!

Staccat0
will hopefully understand
(Today, 02:46 AM)
Reply | Quote

Feep said:
Wait a minute, I'm an idiot. I just realized I HAVE that issue of Nintendo Power; they were giving it away on the show floor. I'll update this post with anything interesting I find.

Updates:
- This article says there are 280 stages, not 220. Awesome.
- At one point, the creative lead on the game found a bug in which he placed two bunnies on the field, and they reproduced infinitely and eventually crashed the game. :D
- Another bug he found: an elephant picked up a bazooka with its trunk and started firing wildly. Oh my GOD. :lol :lol :lol That's a bug?! Leave it in!
- The currency system is in "Ollars". You can buy new levels, avatars, and music.
- FUCK YES ONLINE LEVEL SHARING CONFIRMED. Friend Codes and all, but what-the-fuck-ever.

That is not a bug. It's an awesome feature.

Why did I read this thread, after the show finished? Fuck. This is what was missing from my E3, but it was there. Faith in industry renewed.

Feep

Banned
Nickovic said:
CatFlap.gif

Is this possible?
My faith in 5 Cell is now so complete that I'm willing to take a one-sided, two week ban-bet that this is in the final version of the game. Write it down, mods.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Jackson you hear that? Make it happen, or Feep (who you OWE at least 10 sales in this thread ALONE to) is going to get banned.

DO IT! Cat + Bread + Butter + Toaster + Knife = Antigravity machine.

It would be cool if "NeoGAF" gets a herd of stampeding dinosaurs run through the stage BTW.

billy.sea

Banned
This is really a revolution imo.

5th Cell pretty much created a whole set of tools for future developers to use. They pretty much created a set of language for future developers to utilize and speak with the gamers.

This is not your traditional game engine that pump out good graphics, it's something beyond.

homez99

I can't believe this game is making me late for my train even though it hasn't even came out yet! This is looking stunning, I think this thread needs more videos.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Leonsito said:
Is Cthulhu in the game?
Apparently, yes.

I wonder if there's any GAFfers hidden in the game. You write a username, and some guy with the NeoGAF logo covering his head pops up.
It would be awesome.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
How is this going to work in other languages (mainly how is it going to work in Japanese?)

Wes

venison crêpe
Every video just makes it more and more awesome.

The time travelling dinosaur to kill robot zombie story is one for the ages. :lol :lol

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
My ex-boss wants to know if Albumen, Feltrum, Tenterhook and Bacolite are in the game. I'd be surprised if tenterhooks weren't in the game, but the others might be too obscure?

Already just gonna go and say we need a Wii version of this in the future with DS connectivity and 4 player competitive, sandbox, and co-op multiplayer, and each player can use the DS touch screen to summon objects.

My god, this game is amazing.

Amir0x

Banned
I think Jackson has to be pretty pleased with how reaction has been to Scribblenauts. E3 has really convinced me that they're going to pull off the amazing concept.

Definitely a top five E3 highlight for me.

GDGF

Soothsayer
sprsk said:
How is this going to work in other languages (mainly how is it going to work in Japanese?)

That's going to take one hell of a localization team if it's even possible.

I've been daydreaming about this game for a few hours now :lol This is nuts.

KennyLinder said:
Was there ***any*** hints, info or otherwsie that it might come out for iPhone? Would work well too, no?

Buy a Ds....really....

Still, Nintendo should just buy the game exclusivity....

GDGF

Soothsayer
Bluemercury said:
Buy a Ds....really....

If there is any game that Nintendo should buy exclusivity to it is this one. Hell, this sounds like the kind of thing that Miyamoto wishes he had come up with (although it would probably never have been localized if he had)

vareon

KennyLinder said:
Was there ***any*** hints, info or otherwsie that it might come out for iPhone? Would work well too, no?

Technically it could appear on any platform, but I think it will remain exclusive to DS, like Drawn to Life/Lock's Quest. I'm sure 5TH Cell had their own considerations.

Besides, having a DS today is never a bad thing :D

Bluemercury said:
Buy a Ds....really....

Not to knock 5th Cell, but it doesn't seem to me like this would necessarily be a game that it would help to lock up. I mean, the concept is cool, but they can't exactly maintain exclusive rights to making nouns from the dictionary interact. Another developer or publisher could throw enough time and money at the problem to create their own similar database, if this game is successful enough to warrant copycats. Scribblenauts will only be on the DS for the near future; does it do much good to pay to make that period longer if EA would be releasing Combinethingsfromthedictionarians elsewhere anyway?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I've NEVER been this excited for a DS game.

hiryu

Oh my, I just saw this on the new Co-op and it is now my most anticipated game of the year and I'm going to go buy their previous two games. Wow, so original and awesome.

mclem

SovanJedi said:
My ex-boss wants to know if Albumen, Feltrum, Tenterhook and Bacolite are in the game. I'd be surprised if tenterhooks weren't in the game, but the others might be too obscure?

I find the concept of a feltrum existing independently rather odd. Not to say they couldn't do it, but I don't quite get *how*.

fabprems

sprsk said:

Developpers confirmed to Gamekult.com that the (awesome!) game will be translated. I don't think the translation will be THAT difficult, they just have to translate every keyword, it must be easier than long dialogues lines I guess ?

Owensboro

Feep said:
I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES.
Holy fucking shit.

Wait.....but....I....

I don't know what this feeling is....but I like it. Holy crap. I haven't been this excited about a game since I played the demo for Crayon Physics. Endless possibilities...

+1 bought copy.

Top Bottom