• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya shits all over Kotaku

I don't know, the man sounds like a total dick in those tweets.

He was getting a ton of tweets along those lines that night and he had already responded to those same questions several times. I'm not necessarily justifying it, but if you read his twitter for ten minutes, you'll see that the fastest way to annoy him is to send him repeat questions, and he expects people to at least look through his feed a little before they tweet him.

Instro

So an immigrant does something stupid or steals something. You think it's ok to say;"stupid fucking foreigners."? He originally said it in Japanese for a reason.

Well that's a pretty pointless example considering we are not talking about immigrants here.

gryz

Banned
yeah. dude is racist as fuck, I can't see how anyone can still be defending his bullshit now. you can argue that the kotaku piece was dumb as hell, and you'd be spot on, but that doesn't excuse his xenophobic responses later on.

Sweet dreams, everyone & some クソ馬鹿ぼんくらガイジン ;)

lol what, he's clearly trolling, and some of the people he's responding to are "foreigners"who are idiots. also I love that the guy he's responding to has a weeaboo twitter handle

Such selective pickings.

Jch2T.png

iGg70.png

Haha I like him talking shit about Kotaku but he's clearly also a bit of a bellend himself. But great entertainment.

kyoya

Is anyone concerned that Kamiya might get in trouble with Platinum for this? I'm not sure how cool he and CEO Tatsuya Minami are with one another - this public outburst might backfire on him.

iammeiam

But what if he's getting spammed by idiots who speak a foreign language

Well, and idiots speaking a foreign language targeting him as a representation of the mindset of all Japanese devs (since Kotaku used him as the poster child.) The actual issue that led them to spamming him was specifically Japan vs the rest of the world, so I'm not terribly surprised he responded by calling out idiots specifically in the rest of the world. The entire article set the situation up as Japan vs Everyone Else; it was the context for everything that followed. Not good PR, but I just can't find it in my heart to be offended by it.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Oh my, loosen your panties. He said "stupid foreigners." Big freaking deal - how is that racist? It's funny. Everyone's too on eager to call the PC Police.

Also, "Do you eat shit?" is my new favorite response to everything, lol.

NBtoaster

Kotaku is actualy somewhat defending him in the article, explaining potential reasoning behind his thoughts in place of getting outraged over his thoughts of PC gaming like some might >.>

Does it matter if he said it in a tweet that was basically respectfully saying goodnight to all english speaking readers except "some" fucking stupid foreigners or w/e?

Also am I on everyone's ignore list or something?

He respectfully insulted them in a language they couldn't understand.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

From that article:

The professor then offered his personal opinion: “My own sense is that some foreign residents of Japan who take offense at any use of the term ‘gaijin’ belong to a well-established phenomenon of foreigners (usually white men) who want to become completely Japanese (culturally, biologically, socially)—cf. Pierre Loti, Madame Chrysantheme, Blackthorne in Clavell’s novel ‘Shogun,’ or James Bond, in ‘You Only Live Twice.’ For these Japanophiles, any indication that they’ve not succeeded in becoming Japanese is taken as a personal insult, and I think much of the offense at the term ‘gaijin’ (foreigner) stems from this anxiety they bring to the situation.”

In my experience, this is quite often the truth.

That's a much, much larger ethno-social debate topic though. It's probably similar to the canto 鬼佬 (Gwai Lo), which means more or less the same thing but is common usage - 'foreign devil', 'ghost man', whatever.

You're basically objecting to language itself at this point.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "gwai lo" always offensive (outside of joke usage)? There's really no way to use it in a positive light, right?

That's not necessarily the case with "gaijin" 外人.

calling someone a stupid fucking foreigner is pretty damn racist/bigoted/xenophobic.

They were rude and they were foreign.

It's considered rude, at the very least. It's not the pc term. And "fucking stupid foreigners" is quite xenophobic, no matter how you twist it.

It's not - not by sensible people. The only people who avoid it are people who have, in my experience, been yelled at by over-zealous foreigners who inexplicably take great offense at the truth.

And again, they were fucking stupid and they were foreign.

Gemüsepizza;46219901 said:
Right, "racist as fuck", when a gaming site claims to "explain a Japanese perspective" by making him look bad/insulting him, and he tells them that they are stupid foreigners who are wrong.

am I disagreeing that the kotaku piece was out of line and largely full of shit? nope. still doesn't justify his gaijin and stupid fucking foreigners comments in any way, but by all means give a racist a free pass because he made some games you like.

Hitler was a pretty sweet painter, surely that excuses the holocaust right? and yeah I just got all Godwin up in this bitch.

remz

People are taking him ludicrously out of context.

When you look at his original tweet, which is actually pretty polite and honest it doesn't seem to warrant at all the write up it got from Kotaku. Just because PC is big in the west doesn't mean Kamiya has to be interested in it, he's a game designer, not a businessman, and PG's resident businessman, Inaba visited valve last year which makes this whole thing even more stupid.

Hitler was a pretty sweet painter, surely that excuses the holocaust right? and yeah I just got all Godwin up in this bitch.
That's a pretty interesting comparison you got there, lol

teekun

None, but just like in real life if you come off as an ass, you can't blame other people for viewing him as an ass ;)

If I walked up to someone in real life and out of nowhere called them "clueless" I'd say I've earned a few unpleasant things coming my way.

Kamiya is a moron, and a douchebag. Yes he makes good games, but he is seriously an arrogant prick. Why do you guys accept this so happily?

It's pretty messed up that because he's made some great games he can say bullshit like this and avoid criticism.
He's like the Louis CK of video game developers. Everything he says is entertaining enough that it's not really offensive to me. I just like watching him do whatever he wants.

Also, I don't care about being called a stupid foreigner, and that's even if he was generalizing that broadly in the first place. It could have just been a bunch of American or European people hassling him on twitter all day and he could have been referring to them.

If I were to travel to France and 80% of people trolled me and treated me with no respect and I said "Those fucking french people!" that would me make me a racist or just annoyed about the treatment I recived in such country?

Riposte

He respectfully insulted them in a language they couldn't understand.

"Them" being not every english speaking reader, but "some" people he finds annoying.

EDIT: It is amazing how little context matters. I guess there is a discussion whether saying the Japanese equivalent of foreigner at all was wrong, but I think people are greatly misinterpreting him.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Probably because:

1) Is not his call to port games to the PC.

2) He probably said already he dosn't care

3) he probably said alreay 1) and 2) a few times already.

He dosn't need to know what Steam is and he neither should care.
And that allows him to tell people to fuck off how?

If he's tired of people asking him for a PC port, he could choose not to reply. Instead he disregarded what the first guy said with a "whatever", and told the second guy to fuck off.

Yeah, it isn't his job to port games to PC. He doesn't care if someone does it or not. He already said he doesn't care about it. He's still a dick for treating people that way.

Risette

A Good Citizen
He's like the Louis CK of video game developers. Everything he says is entertaining enough that it's not really offensive to me. I just like watching him do whatever he wants.

Also, I don't care about being called a stupid foreigner, and that's even if he was generalizing that broadly in the first place. It could have just been a bunch of American or European people hassling him on twitter all day and he could have been referring to them.
That's exactly what it is though. Tons of English speaking people intentionally try to get a rise out of him when crap blogs like Kotaku run something on him because they know he responds to everything.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
am I disagreeing that the kotaku piece was out of line and largely full of shit? nope. still doesn't justify his gaijin and stupid fucking foreigners comments in any way, but by all means give a racist a free pass because he made some games you like.

Holy fucking shit... We've arrived! It's Hitler comparisons time, people!

There is no such thing as nuance or degrees. It's all or nothing! Black or white!

Cartman86

Banned
Maybe this isn't entirely on topic, but is there a good source on racism and other cultural issues in Japan? I'm really curious because all my life growing up you hear cool things about Japan. Maybe some weird stuff, but nothing about political issues etc. As I get older though it seems like there is this incredibly sexist/racist undercurrent running below many things I hear about Japan. Women getting special sections on trains because of the groping issues (similar to India). Of course I'm not suggesting the US is somehow enlightened. We certainly have our own issues.

Top Bottom