• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya shits all over Kotaku

Replicant

The guy sounds arrogant but this is Kotaku....so I'm not sure which side I should cheer on. I guess I side with the guy a bit more since LoL-taku has been nothing but a joke time and time again.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
外国人 (gaikokujin) - it's more polite. But gaijin isn't inherently racist, either. As with any other word, intent matters.

and his intent was most certainly to be as offensive as possible

he's mad

don't know why this is an argument

外国人 (gaikokujin) - it's more polite. But gaijin isn't inherently racist, either. As with any other word, intent matters.

It's literally 'outside-person' and 'outside-country-person' in terms of the difference in the literal semantics of the characters and I have seen people argue that 外国人 is a much more racist term.

volturnus

Banned
This is a dangerously stupid post. There are never, ever, enough reasons to be racist or xenophobic. There are no reasons at all to justify any of that.
Foreigners are annoying him, what else would he call them? Actually, it doesn't even matter, he'd get called racist/xenophobic anyway.

2San

No offense, I don't think you are actually paying attention to the words he stuck in front of it. He deliberately says "some" before the insult in a post that is otherwise amicable to english speaking readers of his twitter. By putting the insult in Japanese he is likely being cheeky or maybe trying to vent his frustration in a way that will slip by most. I think the intent is pretty clear.

This thread is incredibly frustrating. I'd wish someone could at least tell me I'm wrong.
The intent would be clear if he said it in English. He chose not to.

Even if the entire situation is funny and Kotaku is shit, I wouldn't want Kamiya to keep getting angry like this. He might get a bad rep from the community (journalism, even people who follow him), which could lead to a loss of potential investors.

Agree.

That is exactly my main issue.

TheChaos

The fact that there are so many people seem apparently seem so... I don't know the word... "bothered", perhaps?... that he is not interested in PC gaming is mind-boggling.

I think people just really want PC ports of Platinum Games because they have wide appeal for Western Gamers, escpeically since Dark Souls now has a PC port. I don't think many people are clamoring for PC ports of uber-Japanese games like Altelier Meruru or Tales of Graces.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I'm not offended by what he said, but I can't shake the feeling that if an American developer used "foreigner" in an insult, even in a joking manner, the defense force would not be nearly as large.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
uh what about this one:

"fucking foreigners can't drive for shit"

you don't think that's a little xenophobic?

What if it's a situation where, in fact, the only people who "can't drive for shit" happen to be foreigners?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Even if the entire situation is funny and Kotaku is shit, I wouldn't want Kamiya to keep getting angry like this. He might get a bad rep from the community (journalism, even people who follow him), which could lead to a loss of potential investors.

Inaba should put a leash on him then. If you want to let Kamiya say whatever he wants on twitter, you have to deal with the negatives.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Let's see when they put out one good game for PC before riding this Kamiya train.

I await for that day as I'm not even sure his console offerings are of a quality I would put up there with the top dogs even in Japan.

I did laugh at the the one remark he gave the young man from Kotaku though.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The main idea behind the article is fine. I mean other Japanese developers have outright said similar things to what the article is inferring, while explaining some of the reasoning behind it.(minus the digital distribution phobia bullshit)

The problem is the disingenuous headline and that there is no research or other perspective offered besides an out of context tweet. It's not an article about a Japanese perspective, it's an article about how "The guy who made bayonetta" doesn't understand and isn't interested in PC gaming darling Valve.

and as a result he's been harassed by internet white knights who also didn't seem to read the article.

I don't think any less of Kamiya for reacting like this. He's a dude just like the rest of us. Sometimes you get mad and say things you shouldn't and he has every right to be mad right now.

but I think it's weird as hell to see so many people championing this kind of behavior. Especially him using the word foreigner.

Can't say I'm surprised though. Given this thread's history.

I'm pretty sure he'll regret some of the things he's said once he's calmed down, if he doesn't already.

My posts from the other thread

fart town usa

Gold Member
Lets not forget that steam is most likely region blocked in Japan.

I lived in Singapore for 3 years and steam was worthless there. Most download & streaming services are moot overseas.

"Do you eat shit?" is why you shouldn't try to use insults in a language that you're not fluent in.

Uh, no, it's fine. Plunkett asked him if he had read the article. He replied: "[Why would I?] Do you eat shit?"

Basically, he's saying that reading a Kotaku article is to a literary experience what eating shit is to a culinary one.

He's also 100% correct.

Eusis

Atelier Meruru might actually make a sort of sense with the alchemy system, and anyways it's nice to have more games so long as they're well ported.

Of course, you shouldn't be indignant if they can't get it on PC for whatever reason.

Riposte

The intent would be clear if he said it in English. He chose not to.

The intent you imply is not clear just because he wrote it in Japanese. I can think of plenty harmless reasons why he would write the insult in Japanese (two of which I listed). Can you at least acknowledge he used "some" to separate a nice message directed at everyone else?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Those stupid clueless japanese developers still think that steam is just water vapor.
This is basically that Kotaku thing too. It reeks of the whole "oh look at these cute little Japanese people who just don't understand modern technology!" that's been going on all generation.

Foreigners are annoying him, what else would he call them? Actually, it doesn't even matter, he'd get called racist/xenophobic anyway.
So if an American like David Jaffe for example laughed about stupid foreigners in an interview with a Spanish/Russian/Italian magazine, people would justify it here?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
He's allowed to say whatever he wants to.
I agree. My point was that him being pestered with port begging didn't justify him being a dick about it.

I wasn't using the verb "allows" as in "gives permission", it was just the first word that came to my mind and couldn't think of a better one.

If people don't like his responses they should just stop following him. He neither is a PR person that is obligated to be nice to people on the internet. Otherwise he is allowed to say whatever he wants, no one is forced to follow him
Again, I agree. He has no reason to be nice to people anywhere. But the fact that he behaved like he did on those tweets tell me that he isn't a nice person at all.

gryz

Banned
Uh, no, it's fine. Plunkett asked him if he had read the article. He replied: "[Why would I?] Do you eat shit?"

Basically, he's saying that reading a Kotaku article is to a literary experience what eating shit is to a culinary one.

He's also 100% correct.

I'm pretty sure his point was that you don't need to actually eat shit to know that you wouldn't enjoy consuming it.

2San

The intent you imply is not clear just because he wrote it in Japanese. I can think of plenty harmless reasons why he would write the insult in Japanese (two of which I listed). Can you at least acknowledge he used "some" to separate a nice message directed at everyone else?
It's nice, I don't really think he's racist. He's however pretty damn ignorant. Didn't even really feel like discussing this, but with the OP not mentioning this set me off.

Not necessarily. Stan Hansen is called a gaijin, and he was a god in Japanese wrestling. It just means someone who's not from here.

It's banned on most Japanese TV stations. It may not have been when he was prominent, but it's the equivalent of "negro" over there now.

But yes, context is important.

volturnus

Banned
I'm not offended by what he said, but I can't shake the feeling that if an American developer used "foreigner" in an insult, even in a joking manner, the defense force would not be nearly as large.
Western media is very sensitive about not addressing someone as if it was the same as you.
The same reaction would be triggered if a politican urged for americans to buy american automobiles. Go see if that happens in Japan.

jay

I'd like to weigh in on the side that thinks Kotaku is terrible but also Kamiya is acting like a (hilarious) child. The foreigner stuff is inexcusable, though. Unless you're some damn foreigner from one of those racist countries.

Rubius

He look too angry and yell at everybody. Remember me of the Spoony Drunk tweet that got him quitting That guy with the glasses because of a one month old rape joke.

Meh. I dont like Resident Evil so. Even less Resident Evil 2.

Kyou

So if an American like David Jaffe for example laughed about stupid foreigners in an interview with a Spanish/Russian/Italian magazine, people would justify it here?

Giant Bomb makes fun of the foreign press all the time and it's awesome.

"Does it have ze multiplayer"

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

If something like 80% of the @ tweets David Jaffe got were in Spanish from Spanish people and were all asking him inane questions (to which he's already answered) or trying to get a rise out of him, I think he'd be justified in saying, "What's with all of these fucking Spanish people spamming my Twitter?"

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I think the reason it's being taken this way is:

1. It's Kamiya. Dude is a meme on here
2. The target is Kotaku

American/Japanese doesn't even rate. If it was ANYONE else more eyebrows would be raised

but Kamiya's such a troll lol BOUT TIME SOMEONE SAID IT AMEN

Inaba should put a leash on him then. If you want to let Kamiya say whatever he wants on twitter, you have to deal with the negatives.

I think someone telling him to get off twitter for the night would be the best thing a friend could do for him at the moment.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
My posts from the other thread

Good points. I can't really condone it just as some jump on Jaffe for saying certain things. To be fair with David, he is very concise and explains himself thorough and at least he doesn't get too far too left field and call others "foreigners".

Curufinwe

If you read the article, you would see how painfully sensationalist the piece is. A Japanese developer, living in Japan, has no idea about Steam and Valve, who have next to no presence in Japan. This is a story? Then it brings up how Kamiya has a "baffling" view regarding cloud gaming when in fact it's absolutely reasonable.

The article is garbage and that being shown to Kamiya had him say his piece. This happened with DmC and how people flooded him about how awful the game is.

Worth repeating.

Giant Bomb makes fun of the foreign press all the time and it's awesome.

"Does it have ze multiplayer"

And American game journalists are mocked on British podcasts around E3 for their hooting and hollering.

JABEE

Kotaku doesn't seem to really care about what they put into their headlines. Gawker-style choice is a business decision, not an editorial one. This opinion article was written the way it was, because it was controversial (headline), took very little research (only one source), and was short enough to be completed in less than a day.

Kamiya may be rude and arrogant, but I have no issue with him responding to Plunkett in that manner. It's not nice, but at the same time you have to believe Plunkett knew what was wrong with his colleague's article. It's like the guy that calls you an asshole in front of everyone, and when you confront them they ask "What did I do wrong?" Please, explain."

Sell your editorial soul for hits, and then ask for forgiveness to help yourself sleep at night.

Top Bottom