• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya shits all over Kotaku

volturnus

Banned
Kamiya did not make a general insult directed towards entire groups of people. He was specifically targeted people on his twitter (and maybe Kotaku, though Kotaku was also on twitter talking to him). Given the word "some" was in english, you haven't much of an excuse.

It looks like members on NeoGAF can give Kotaku a run for its money on misrepresenting what others say.
Fine irony, I say.

Curufinwe

Saying foreigners is racism. We outside of glorious Japan cannot get on the level of those Japanese people. That's what is implied. It is racism, no doubt about that. Its like if the a guy from US said "Well you dont even live in the US, so obviously you dont know shit"

I think what he's implying is that some foreign journalists have no qualms about using translations of questionable accuracy, and bits and pieces of out of context statements to write unfair and unflattering pieces about Japanese developers.

Aeana

If somebody on this forum, say in a Media Create thread decided to post the exact same thing in Japanese, while having a debate - would you deem it unnecessary and racist?
That would depend entirely on the context of the discussion, and how they responded when asked about it. It's always very important to make sure intent is clear before jumping to conclusions.

fart town usa

Gold Member
When English-speakers start shitting up his twitter feed, sometimes he comments "stupid foreigners" (because he never seems to get spammed by his Japanese followers). Last night he signed off for the night and and commented about being trolled by "stupid foreigners" again, but he did so in Japanese. The person he was responding to in that tweet translated his Japanese comment and took offense to it.

Oh, wasn't aware of that. I see now why some people might take offense to that.

Riposte

If a huge proportion of his game sold in Spanish speaking countries, I doubt he would feel the need to call them "fucking Spanish people". This is not frustration from confusion. Frankly his tweets show contempt for people who enjoy his games.

He makes plenty of positive tweets aimed towards english speaking fans (though he hates repeating himself). Can you really blame him for showing contempt towards people complaining about Bayonetta 2 being on WiiU or making a big deal out of his PC comments? The aggressive comment we are looking to was a reply to a tweet calling him a pussy for speaking Japanese. Good grief.

h for Kotaku to write a disparaging article about him though.

Personally, I think some of the people here are continuously trying to paint him as a bad person due to the simple sentiment of, yes, how dare he didn't know much about Valve and that he's disinterested towards PC gaming. That sentiment increased their prejudice towards Kamiya so much that everything he said now is like an affront towards humanity or something like that.

I'm mainly a console player and I like Kamiya's games.

Card Boy

Banned
With great power comes great responsibility. Kamiya saying what the rest of feel. Also please take Kotaku off Steam please Valve.

Rubius

As someone who spent the last 9 of 10 years living in Japan, I could write a book on foreigner "racism". You can call me Debito (extra points if you get that). I was responding to the inferrence that the word gaijin is banned on Japanese tv. It's not lol, it is not at all a taboo word.

I dont think its banned, its simply not recommended since it make you look, well racist. Can cut some bridges.

bon

Guys we need to spring into action. You can't just call someone stupid on Twitter and get away with it. This Kamiya guy needs to learn a lesson.

params7

Banned
It's also interesting to look at how these headlines are created. I know in newspapers, there are separate people who create the headlines for articles.

Here's a Kotaku article calling David Jaffe a misogynist, because he made a joke about letting your girlfriend win in Twisted Metal.

Not even going to click on the link and give them hits.

HoosTrax

I'm dying lol. Dear god, this is brilliant. I love his response. Just completely fucking perfect.

The irony of them spinning one person not being interested in PC gaming into all of Japan being "clueless," is that they also ran stories today about the SteamBox. The SteamBox is only even coming out because lots of people in the west aren't interested in PC gaming either and want a more streamlined console experience.

The cognitive dissonance is impressive. Japan = bad, backwards, clueless. West = great. Even if we're talking about the same thing. Good job Kamiya for calling them out.
I actually saw it the other way around. Kotaku trying to paint PC gaming as niche. Kotaku's almost as clueless about PC gaming themselves, beyond some articles they crib from TechSpot.

Derrick01

Banned
When English-speakers start shitting up his twitter feed, sometimes he comments "stupid foreigners" (because he never seems to get spammed by his Japanese followers). Last night he signed off for the night and and commented about being trolled by "stupid foreigners" again, but he did so in Japanese. The person he was responding to in that tweet translated his Japanese comment and took offense to it.

I mean that's something that we (americans) are always getting blasted for when someone says something like that, so I don't see why he can't be criticized either. Not that I'm saying you were defending him, just in general here.

GhaleonQ

Even if the entire situation is funny and Kotaku is shit, I wouldn't want Kamiya to keep getting angry like this. He might get a bad rep from the community (journalism, even people who follow him), which could lead to a loss of potential investors.

*nods* Agreed. I wish developers held themselves to higher standards without enforcing corporate blandness, but Kamiya's is easily the best approach if we're stuck in the ghetto for awhile. That's not the weeaboo defense; blunt force trauma's just the best way to engage distractions if you don't aspire to class.

However, it's not like he's in a position to take unnecessary risks. I hope nothing more serious happens in the future.

2San

He makes plenty of positive tweets aimed towards english speaking fans. Can you really blame him for showing contempt towards people complaining about Bayonetta 2 being on WiiU or making a big deal out of his PC comments? The aggressive comment we are looking to was a reply to a tweet calling him a pussy for speaking Japanese. Good grief.
He called him pussy, because he wrote that insult in Japanese.

duckroll

It wouldn't let me download anything from the store due to the region I was in, I used Starhub Internet. To get around it I would download stuff off amazon and then use the cd key to download it off steam, sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't.

I just moved outta there back in March of 2012, lived in the Sembawang area. Beautiful island.

That doesn't make any sense to me. Almost nothing on Steam is region locked, not even games which are unavailable in certain regions (and those are rare). For example, Dragon Age Ultimate Edition is not available for purchase on the Steam store locally, but I had someone gift it to me and it worked fine. I also buy games from GMG and Amazon sales from time to time with Steam keys, and they always work.

I subscribe to the lowest tier on Starhub's cable internet and I get like 1-2 meg a second off Steam. This is really the first I've heard of anyone having serious problems using Steam here. So it's kinda weird.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Why do people even keep going to Kotaku, or even mention them? They only have a platform if people pay attention to them, otherwise they're just shouting at the wind. It always amazes me the sheer number of forum posts, not just here but around the internet at large, that complain about Kotaku and various other outlets for shoddy journalism, then a few posts down there's a link to some other news story they're running, and people are lapping it up. I miss the days when this place heavily outlawed the stupid sites, and wouldn't even allow links to them.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I dont think its banned, its simply not recommended since it make you look, well racist. Can cut some bridges.

Completely situational. I've been called it and felt nothing and called it and felt offended (lol).

Did you quote me on accident? I was agreeing with pizzaroll about something else.

Yes, I editted it out. I'm on my phone.. this sucks lol.

Also dosn't Kamiya plays mostly NES games or something? I don't think he cares about modern gaming that much...so he's not the best person to put as base of your study about Japanese PC/valve interest....

Takuan

n31sA.jpg

Kamiya has been a badass his whole life. Why should he slow down now?

He's a real life Crows/Worst character

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
After the fucking doritosgate debacle, it blows me away that people would rather discuss Kamiya's response to a random twitter douchelord than the actual story here.
hey man, we're not the journalists, we're just the internet's preeminent videogame discussion community

willooi

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "gwai lo" always offensive (outside of joke usage)? There's really no way to use it in a positive light, right?

That's not necessarily the case with "gaijin" 外人.

As far as "gwai lo" goes, I can speak for the Mandarin equivalent "gwee lao", where my experience is that it isn't used offensively but has taken on the general meaning of "caucasian" over time. It certainly isn't used disparagingly as it once was. Same with its other version, "lao wai".

I always assumed that "gaijin" was the Japanese equivalent...it just depends on how you use it. A term to primarily express "someone who isn't one of their own", but indeed, if you add a "F**king" to the start of it, then the context changes completely.

As for Kamiya, I'm not really getting a racist vibe, more that he's upset about "outsiders" making wild generalisations about Japan by using him as the prime example.

Codeblue

Is Kamiya the new Phil Fish?

Kamiya is telling some jerk who is provoking him to go screw himself.

Fish told a Japanese colleague that Japanese games are trash in a room of his peers.

These situations are no comparable. Use your own brain.

Okay half-sleeping/awake now, but when he said:
@PG_kamiya: Sweet dreams, everyone & some クソ馬鹿ぼんくらガイジン ;)
He did say some "gaijin"; referring to those who kept bugging him, no? Gonna sleep now, probs get flamed on this XD.

ITT People don't want to understand that translation isn't a 1:1 thing. "Foreigner" just happens to be more loaded in this case than its Japanese counterpart while still being the closest in meaning. I don't expect Kamiya to understand subtle things about the language given his other tweets.

params7

Banned
Why do people even keep going to Kotaku, or even mention them? They only have a platform if people pay attention to them, otherwise they're just shouting at the wind. It always amazes me the sheer number of forum posts, not just here but around the internet at large, that complain about Kotaku and various other outlets for shoddy journalism, then a few posts down there's a link to some other news story they're running, and people are lapping it up. I miss the days when this place heavily outlawed the stupid sites, and wouldn't even allow links to them.

they guilt people by writing too many 'why games need feminisim and homosexuality' articles so nobody can hate their quality without looking misogynistic.

CorvoSol

Saying foreigners is racism. We outside of glorious Japan cannot get on the level of those Japanese people. That's what is implied. It is racism, no doubt about that. Its like if the a guy from US said "Well you dont even live in the US, so obviously you dont know shit"

I don't know how I feel about this. In Brazil people referred to me as a gringo initially, but at least there the word doesn't carry the same insult it does elsewhere. Hard to tell, though, because I've never been 100% sure if Brazilians even mean their insults.

It's not

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/177991/Steam_Japan_and_missed_opportunities.php#.UOzn-m_Adhx

This is an actual decent article on a japanese perspective of Steam and PC gaming in Japan

Since, you know, they actually asked a guy what his thoughts were.

Instead of taking tweets out of context as the basis of their article
That's an incredible night and day difference from the Kotaku article. And maybe by even conducting that interview, it might have provided the most miniscule of a nudge towards more Japanese support of Steam.

It's like one is legitimate journalism and one is click-bait. I am SHOCKED. :O

duckroll

I'm less interested in whether Kamiya might or might not be racist on his Twitter account, and more interested in wondering where we went wrong as a modern society such that casual comments on personal social networking accounts are turned into tabloid news on a regular basis in every form of entertainment.

Do people have better things to do?

Do people have better things to write?

Do people have better things to read?

How did we end up this way? Because it's getting kinda sad.

Zaventem

All the otakus who want to go to japan and fuck asian girls getting mad a game designer said some shit he normally says to anyone that ask him a bullshit question.

Phil Fish is lameeeeee

Kamiya is awesome

While I suppose it's a comparable situation of painting an entire culture with one broad brushstroke, I think there is a difference in provocation here. Phil Fish flat out said to a humble Japanese man that their games "just sucked" (despite the fact his own game is a broken, horrible mess, but that's another story). Kamiya on the other hand has to put up with a bombardment of shit on Twitter daily and now even from the mainstream press. He's pretty much at breaking point when it comes to dealing with us English speakers - perhaps he should even get rid of his Twitter account to reduce stress and bad intercontinental vibes. He gets a free pass from me since I understand where he's coming from and he's generally pretty awesome. Phil Fish is just a dick all round from what i've seen with zero talent to make it tolerable.

He makes plenty of positive tweets aimed towards english speaking fans (though he hates repeating himself). Can you really blame him for showing contempt towards people complaining about Bayonetta 2 being on WiiU or making a big deal out of his PC comments? The aggressive comment we are looking to was a reply to a tweet calling him a pussy for speaking Japanese. Good grief.
A pussy for hiding a backhanded insult behind Japanese text, not for speaking Japanese itself

Valnen

Visiting Valve isn't enough. Until they start porting all their major games to PC it's safe to assume they don't get PC gaming.

Top Bottom