• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya shits all over Kotaku

Kyou

I really don't understand the outrage here.

He said some stupid fucking idiot foreigners. Have you seen the tweets this man gets? I don't understand why the term "foreigners" gets people so heated, but there are stupid fucking idiots who send him messages constantly.

Would it have been better if he said "stupid fucking non-japanese people?"

Yeah I really don't get the outrage over "gaijin". It's not really a slur or anything.

Kamiya speaking the truth about kotaku. He can be harsh, but he receives so many stupid tweets and begging im not surprised.

Quoting for new page.

Im pretty sure people already read your post from the first page, it was not at the end of it so not need to repost. If nobody is responding to it, maybe is because they are not interested?

He isn't supossed to be nice on the internet, his job is to make good game. Kotaku's job is gaming journalism and they should be ashamed to post that shit being assholes to a game creator.

Remember when 90% of gaming journalism defended Phil Fish words about Japan games? And he was an asshole as well on internet.

Two wrongs don make a right... ?

Dug

Banned
14F2Q.png

protip: Plunkett writes from Kotaku.
5leKr.jpg

2San

It's pretty messed up that because he's made some great game he can say bullshit like this and avoid criticism.
It's pretty interesting. Now everytime a foreigner does something bad. Let's say "stupid fucking foreigners". Apparently it's ok.
Im pretty sure people already read your post from the first page, it was not at the end of it so not need to repost. If nobody is responding to it, maybe is because they are not interested?
The original thread that discussed found this subject pretty interesting. It's funny trying hide this.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
That's probably his personal Twitter account, poor show by Kotaku to make a news from a bunch of tweets.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty messed up that because he's made some great game he can say bullshit like this and avoid criticism.

No, no. He should be criticized and disliked for it if that offends you, but the difference between him and others is that he's just not interested in discussion. Read his feed for a couple of minutes and that's apparent. He's not looking to debate whether or not he's an asshole or whether or not the PC is a viable platform. Do a little more research and you'll realize he is just a game designer at Platinum and isn't involved in the business decisions so much. That kind of thing is more for Inaba, who has expressed interest in Valve, PC, and Steam.

No, no. He should be criticized and disliked for it if that offends you, but the difference between him and others is that he's just not interested in discussion. Read his feed for a couple of minutes and that's apparent. He's not looking to debate whether or not he's an asshole or whether or not the PC is a viable platform. Do a little more research and you'll realize he is just a game designer at Platinum and isn't involved in the business decisions so much. That kind of thing is more for Inaba, who has expressed interest in Valve, PC, and Steam.

That... doesn't excuse him like AT ALL.

HoosTrax

Yeah I really don't get the outrage over "gaijin". It's not really a slur or anything.
This is the first I've heard that "gaijin" is possibly offensive. There are at least two gaming companies (Gaijin Games and Gaijin Entertainment) with the term in their company names.

He could have said stupid fucking idiots. He started using "foreigners' all by himself.

He wrote what the guy translated his other tweet too. He didn't start using the word foreigner the other guy insinuated he was implying foreigner

Yagharek

Cant wait to see kotaku articles feigning outrage over a reaction to their shitty, lazy, over-generalising clickbait.

Kamiya was spot on.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's pretty interesting. Now everytime a foreigner does something bad. Let's say "stupid fucking foreigners". Apparently it's ok.

The original thread that discussed found this subject pretty interesting. It's funny trying hide this.

The guy who replied with that was joking, so was Kamiya. Doesn't seem that hard to follow or actual hostility implied by it.

Kamiya can lose his cool on twitter at times but he does reply to literally EVERYTHING that comes his way, and that is an absurb amount of bullshit.

2San

He wrote what the guy translated his other tweet too. He didn't start using the word foreigner
The guy who replied with that was joking, so was Kamiya. Doesn't seem that hard to follow or actual hostility implied by it.

Kamiya can lose his cool on twitter at times but he does reply to literally EVERYTHING that comes his way, and that is an absurb amount of bullshit.

He translated the thing that's in Japanese.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I find it difficult to fault someone for any display no matter how extreme when it's in response to Kotaku's behavior.

It's Kotaku. Nothing will ever make it right. We can only try to survive.

Riposte

Two wrongs don make a right... ?

Since the conversation is now here... I'll just copy what I said in the other thread here:

Taking in the original tweet (twitter confused me on the order of the conversation), it sounds like he is being somewhat amicable to "everyone" except for "some" english tweeters he decided to cuss out in a cheeky way. I don't know Japanese nor can I safely say I understand context in it. However I do know about how "gaijin" can be used, but at the same time could it be fair to say that was just an unspecific manner to address a particular group of english speakers? (I think the tweet being in english plus "some" coming before the insult makes the intent clear. Call me crazy.)

I do think there might a bit of favoritism at play. Kamiya has a certain reputation and a strong fanbase, so I wonder what would have happened if in the place of Kamiya a less popular dev (let alone an unpopular one) started to act like that. Personally wouldn't have made a difference to me (I respect bold, fiery temperaments, e.g. David Jaffe).

Both parties come across as blithering idiots in this instance, but Kamiya comes across as a hilarious blithering idiot so... he wins, I guess?

He translated the thing in Japanese. Kamiya was only sharing that line for his Japanese followers.

Oh thats what the japanese says? oops. then i lose some respect for him and take back my praise.

From wiki
Some modern commentators feel that the word is now negative or pejorative in connotation and thus offensive.[2][3][4][5][6][7] Other observers indicate that the word can also be used neutrally or positively.[3][8][9][10][11] One scholar suggests that the term has become politically incorrect and is avoided now by most Japanese television broadcasters.[12] The uncontroversial,[12] if slightly formal, gaikokujin (外国人?, foreign-country person), is commonly used instead.[12] However, even gaikokujin is avoided by some people, who might use the honorific form gaikoku no kata (外国の方?, gentleman/gentlewoman of a foreign country) instead. Similarly, some people might not use gaisha (foreign car), but use gaikoku no kuruma (foreign countries cars) if they receive interviews and have to speak in front of TV cameras.

Ehh. I'm sure this thread is just what kotaku wants. The writer probably tweeted at Kamiya knowing he would be told to fuck off which would only make the story spread faster

Both sides are annoying. It's impossible to follow Kamiya for more then a day and not get annoyed by the constant stream of tweets. I don't know how Wario does it TBH

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That... doesn't excuse him like AT ALL.

I'm not trying to excuse him. Not that I find his use of "gaijin" offensive, personally. The unfortunate truth is that everyone who tries to get a rise out of him on Twitter are non-Japanese.

I'm torn... Kotaku deserved the shit talk against them... but Kamiya is still a giant prick.

Thankfully, I can compartmentalize creators from their games and thus I can still enjoy Platinum games even if I don't always agree with Kamiya's attitudes.

Top Bottom