• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
After installing a few mods (including the Monster Mod, Explossive Arrows, and SkyUI), the game feels SO fresh to me. I'm going to restart and play through to get ready for the expansion.

How many hours have you guys that have been playing this since launch put in?

I'm already at around 30 hours in less than a week, and I've only done four or five story quests so far. I'm not even close to feeling fatigue from any of the gameplay elements. I just want to keep playing and playing and playing

and playing and playing

It's a cruel world where both Skyrim and real life responsibilities must coexist

MrBig

I put in 120 hours and stopped. I completed the main narrative, all the guilds and a large amount of side quest.
I'll be back in a year or so when major new features and DLC are added to make it feel like a new game. I rarely play solo games twice (because the second go through can ruin the first for me, and the experience usually stagnates due to lack of dev support), but I will gladly make an exception for skyrim.

Volimar

I have 136 hours on my main "do everything" character. And I have like 4 other characters too. Safe to say, Skyrim has been a real time sink for me.

krioto

I'm now at 212 hours - 1 character

The BlackAdder - Breton spell-sword - One-Handed, Destruction, Conjuration, Alteration, Heavy Armour - decked out in Ebony Mail, ebony gauntlets/boots, and Nahkrin dragon priest mask.

I like him quite a bit.

I put in 120 hours and stopped. I completed the main narrative, all the guilds and a large amount of side quest.
I'll be back in a year or so when major new features and DLC are added to make it feel like a new game. I rarely play solo games twice (because the second go through can ruin the first for me, and the experience usually stagnates due to lack of dev support), but I will gladly make an exception for skyrim.

sounds like me. I need to start a completely new character and do everything again. thats why I hoped this expansion would add a lot more new gameplay to experience during the new and old gameplay. the crossbow is nice, but that is nothing. I was thinking about entirely new npcs, monsters, events, lands that just expands skyrim.

an expansion needs to add new gameplay but also add the existing gameplay. it could be new classes that can be used in the base game(diablo 2 for instance)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I've got about 130 hours on my main, a straight no armor mage. Then I also have a couple dozen hours spread out amongst a few other characters. Right now I'm taking a break from my mage and playing a sword and board heavy armor fighter with a bit of archery but no magic at all. I'm liking the melee style alot, so much more visceral than my mage is.

Yeah, this game has a lot to do in it. Sometimes I find myself just wandering around sightseeing and yet thoroughly enjoying myself. And I still haven't been all over the map, And now the DLC comes out this month, adding more to do, lol. Skyim was money well spent for me.

Hambone

150 hours on main character, a Dark Elf Thief\1-Hander. About 20 hours on my racist Nord Warrior\2-hander, and about 10 hours on my Imperial Mage Destruction\Alteration.

Jumped back in about a week ago in anticipation of the dlc\expansion. It's absolutely amazing how after 150 hours, I can still come across content, and areas, that I have not seen. Still haven't completed the Mage College, Dark brotherhood, and Companion quests on the main character!

I started the quest with the Jarl of Whiterun to
arrange a truce

Not thinking, I then went and sided with the Imperials and and am pretty deep into the Civil War quest line. Every time I talk to the Jarl he tells me that he's waiting for me to finish his quest....but how can I do that given my position in the war?

Am I boned?

Volimar

I started the quest with the Jarl of Whiterun to
arrange a truce

Not thinking, I then went and sided with the Imperials and and am pretty deep into the Civil War quest line. Every time I talk to the Jarl he tells me that he's waiting for me to finish his quest....but how can I do that given my position in the war?

Am I boned?

I think you can just finish the Civil War quest line. And then it'll be okay. I don't even know if you can't arrange a truce during the war. I think you still can.

Yopis

Lost interest but came back. Only finished one mission in main story. Done all guilds except mages. Around 139 hours.

Kaiken

Banned
Finally picked back up in months. Stopped playing since the Thieves Guild glitch prohibited me from completing it. When started the quest popped up! Ah what a relief hopefully this will take me until the DLC comes.

Branson

Not sure which thread this goes in but I have a glitch in Whiterun. It could be caused by a mod but I just randomly start swimming in the middle of town. I can swim up to a large body of water and reach the top. The fuck?

Is there anyway to bring back noe essiential NPC's after their bodies are gpne? I went on a rampage as a werewolf and killed alot of them, like Eorlund, the owner of Warmaiden's and shopkeeper. is there anyway I can bring them back.. this is on PC BTW.

Haha, it's excellent to hear how many people have put in 100+ hours into this. Two of my best friends have put in over 200 hours each

I'm just approaching hour 40, and I still don't want to do anything else with my free time other than play it. I'm really thinking I'll 1000 this game.

And oh joy, once that's done Dawnguard will be out so I can waste even more of my life. Still, it's awesome to have a single game that will keep me occupied for the majority of summer. It's rare that a game can entertain me for even 50 hours, let alone the 100 it looks like I'll easily get out of Skyrim

OG Kush

Haha, it's excellent to hear how many people have put in 100+ hours into this. Two of my best friends have put in over 200 hours each

I'm just approaching hour 40, and I still don't want to do anything else with my free time other than play it. I'm really thinking I'll 1000 this game.

And oh joy, once that's done Dawnguard will be out so I can waste even more of my life. Still, it's awesome to have a single game that will keep me occupied for the majority of summer. It's rare that a game can entertain me for even 50 hours, let alone the 100 it looks like I'll easily get out of Skyrim

Mate, I know its all rosey and dandy right now but by the end of don't be surprised if you're sick of fucking skyrim! Don't burn yourself out!

Volimar

So, is it true that the Beta will be released tomorrow?

All I heard was that it starts next week.

Mate, I know its all rosey and dandy right now but by the end of don't be surprised if you're sick of fucking skyrim! Don't burn yourself out!

Only thing I got sick of was crafting. I literally start to nod off now while I'm making potions or enchanting. Now that I have them both to 100 I rarely even bother with them or smithing...

Oh, and loading screens... Meh...

MrBig

Can I get someone to send me their "Skyrim - Sounds.bsa" file from their data folder? I did a reinstall on my new build and it seems to have gone missing.

e: yep, got it back

Khar

I was going to post this in the 'Completely mediocre games you can't stop playing' topic, but I'll slot it here instead as it only really targeted one game.

Skyrim.

I've stopped now, but it was all I played from release right up to Christmas.

I loved the world design and music. The Nordic atmosphere, the mountains. But there were too many poor elements that should have stopped me playing for 120 hours.

Mediocre/Poor

Combat
Loot: why not scale loot but add a 35% chance of a random powerful item at the end of a dungeon/cave? An incentive for exploring would be nice. There aren't enough powerful uniques either.
Consequence: if I steal every item in a shop, the shopkeeper doesn't notice / care. The next day they'll just be pottering around as normal around an empty shop. If I kill someone from stealth there is little to no reaction from surviving NPCS, particularly friendlies.
Which brings me to the AI. Enemies, companion characters, they're all equally useless.
Storyline: why have the Stormcloak/Imperial choice when the consequences and execution of this plotline was so poor?
Radiant AI quests. Awful. I'd like to be able to turn these off, unfortunately radiant AI quests are often the lead-in to non-radiant quests.
Repetitive dialogue
Too few voice actors: yes there are more then Oblivion (not a difficult feat) but the same voices are everywhere. Especially really recognisable voices like Claudia Christian, the lady that plays Lydia (who seems to be at least 5 or six other characters) and whoever played Farkas. It kills immersion to hear the same voices all over the map.
"The Gods gave you two hands, and you use them both for your weapon... I can respect that" -- when I have one handed skill 100, two handed skill 32 and have a one handed weapon equipped. And all the other skill related chatter. Broken.
Dungeons and caves are improved from Oblivion, but are still samey once you've visited all the types. One barrow is much like another. Maybe there's a slightly differently twisted corridor but it's still very very similar.
Not enough variety in monster types.
The story is improved from Oblivion, but is still not enthralling.
Companion characters: pathetic AI. Not enough dialogue lines - "Oh look, a cave" - and shallow interaction. I'm not saying Bethesda shoud go as far as Bioware do, but a bit more unique dialogue and maybe a companion specific quest would do wonders to give them more personality than a meat shield/packhorse.
Marriage: sad and pointless. Particularly given the above.
And - obviously! - the bugs.

It's sad that a 20 year old game like Ultima VII has better companion characters with more personality, a better plot with memorable villains, deeper sandbox, with more interesting and more varied locales. Back in 1992 I'd really hoped for more from RPGs by this point, not just prettier graphics and a beautiful orchestral soundtrack.

This sounds like a horribly bitter rant, but I did enjoy this game for the most part. I just wish Bethesda would aim higher for their next effort.

Hambone

I hope that if anyone gets a Golden Ticket to the Dawnguard beta, you'll let us know. I'm not looking for NDA breakage, just curious to when they'll start sending out invites, so I can obsessively refresh my email account.

So let us know if you, or "a friend you know" wink-wink-nudge, gets in.

Woorloog

Banned
I hope that if anyone gets a Golden Ticket to the Dawnguard beta, you'll let us know. I'm not looking for NDA breakage, just curious to when they'll start sending out invites, so I can obsessively refresh my email account.

So let us know if you, or "a friend you know" wink-wink-nudge, gets in.

Did the NDA actually allow admitting you're under NDA*? Or did signing up for the beta require you to accept NDA in case you're accepted (ie no one has actually seen the actual NDA yet?). I read the agreement's parts about NDA but i've forgotten them already.

*IIRC, Star Wars The Old Republic game testing NDA allowed you to admit that a game testing program exists and that you're in it.

Hambone

I'm not sure, but that's a good question. I just "ok" the TOS, and applied for the beta. For all I know I could have signed away a kidney to Bethesda to do with as they see fit.

RPGCrazied

Wonder how long it'll take for the PS3 to get Dawnguard. The PS3 version of Skyrim is playable. I've played over 85 hours with one freeze and couple weird glitches, but was fine any other time.

Woorloog

Banned
Wonder how long it'll take for the PS3 to get Dawnguard. The PS3 version of Skyrim is playable. I've played over 85 hours with one freeze and couple weird glitches, but was fine any other time.

*sigh* hasn't been stated many times that Xbox 360 has ONE MONTH (30 days) exclusivity for the Skyrim DLC. The Xbox version will be released (tentatively) in 26th, so the PS and PC version should come out 25th of July. Unless the Xbox version is delayed. But still, only 30 day difference, assuming there are no other delays in getting to PSN.

Atruvius

A month after 360 release.

Won't be buying Dawnguard day one. I'll wait a while and see if it breaks the PS3 version, like New Vegas DLC did. Obsidian's head guy even said that DLC breaks the engine on PS3 so it won't be a surprise too see stuttering Skyrim again.

Volimar

*sigh* hasn't been stated many times that Xbox 360 has ONE MONTH (30 days) exclusivity for the Skyrim DLC. The Xbox version will be released (tentatively) in 26th, so the PS and PC version should come out 25th of July. Unless the Xbox version is delayed. But still, only 30 day difference, assuming there are no other delays in getting to PSN.

I think the confusion comes from interviews with Todd Howard where he said he had no idea when the PS3 and PC versions would be out...

I think he said that on G4 or GTTV during E3.

C'mon man, spill da beans. I can't access Beth forums from work. What's going on?

"When are we getting the beta invites?"

"Lol you guys aren't getting a beta invite."

"Hey, there's a lot of new people here, they won't give them a beta invite, right?"

"Man, I want a beta invite."

"WHEN ARE WE GETTING THE BETA INVITES?"

"In an hour, I think!"

"AN HOUR TILL BETA INVITES!"

"How do you know?"

"Just guessing."

"Come on Beth, give me an invite, I've been sitting here since yesterday sipping coffee and refreshing my emails every five minutes."

"WHY DIDN'T WE GET ANY BETA INVITES YET?"

Hambone

"When are we getting the beta invites?"

"Lol you guys aren't getting a beta invite."

"Hey, there's a lot of new people here, they won't give them a beta invite, right?"

"Man, I want a beta invite."

"WHEN ARE WE GETTING THE BETA INVITES?"

"In an hour, I think!"

"How do you know?"

"Just guessing."

"Come on Beth, give me an invite, I've been sitting here since yesterday sipping coffee and refreshing my emails every five minutes."

"WHY DIDN'T WE GET ANY BETA INVITES YET?"

LOL

Thanks! I'm excited as the next Skyrim fan, but man, no need lose your mind.

The 1.6 patch was release on steam today. No notes yet

360 update notes
http://www.bethblog.com/2012/06/10/1-6-update-for-xbox-360-english/#more-19011
1.6 release notes after the break…

NEW FEATURES

Mounted Combat – Skyrim now allows you to do melee and ranged combat while riding a horse

BUG FIXES

General stability and memory optimizations
General AI pathfinding optimizations and bug fixes
Optimizations and crash fixes for data leaks
Fixed rare crash with lighting
Fixed crashes related to loading and saving games
Fixed crash with summoned creatures/NPCs
Fixed rare issue where saves would be corrupted
Improved logic for when ranged kill cams are played
Fixed issue with ranged kill cams while killing a dragon
Fixed rare issue with certain ranged kill cams not playing properly
Fixed issue with nirnroot lighting not properly cleaning up
Fixed issue where bow damage was being calculated incorrectly
Fixed rare problem with werewolf kill moves would not finish animating properly
In “The Break of Dawn” fixed rare issue where Meridia’s Beacon would disappear from player’s inventory
Fixed occasional issue where followers would disappear after player pays off a bounty after committing a crime
Fixed issue where certain creatures and NPCs would fail to respawn properly
Fixed rare issue with dialogue subtitles not displaying properly
Fixed issue with water appearing blurry when loading a saved game after creating a save underwater
Fixed issue where map cursor would occasionally disappear after closing a message box with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)
Fixed rare issue with shouts only performing the first level and not other unlocked levels with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)
Fixed issue where the shout buttons would stop working properly if users mashed LB and RB during cooldown with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)

Woorloog

Banned
Don't forget to check your spam! That's where my email was sitting.

Eh, never had anything go directly in to my spam folder (windowslive email). Well, except this "Nigerian prince" email. Ironically, despite that being my secondary email, i use it more, and my main email gets far more spam, simply because my ISP's filtering is shit (it lets through mass sent spam, commonly).

I hate Microsoft point system, i'm going to have at least 100 leftover points by the end of this month... i want a cheap "horse armor" DLC for Skyrim, priced exactly at 100 points.

Oh and do we know if anyone from other than US got into beta? I belive Bethesda would have restricted to US entrants only if they did not intent to allow others to sign up as well, but still wondering.

360 update notes
http://www.bethblog.com/2012/06/10/1-6-update-for-xbox-360-english/#more-19011

PC 1.6 notes
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1308295-steam-updates/
Update 1.6 is now out of Beta and available to all Steam users

1.6 Update (all platforms unless specified)

NEW FEATURES

Mounted Combat - Skyrim now allows you to do melee and ranged combat while riding a horse

BUG FIXES

General stability and memory optimizations
General AI pathfinding optimizations and bug fixes
Optimizations and crash fixes for data leaks
Fixed rare crash with lighting
Fixed crashes related to loading and saving games
Fixed crash with summoned creatures/NPCs
Fixed rare issue where saves would be corrupted
Improved logic for when ranged kill cams are played
Fixed issue with ranged kill cams while killing a dragon
Fixed rare issue with certain ranged kill cams not playing properly
Fixed issue with nirnroot lighting not properly cleaning up
Fixed issue where bow damage was being calculated incorrectly
Fixed rare problem with werewolf kill moves would not finish animating properly
In "The Break of Dawn" fixed rare issue where Meridia's Beacon would disappear from player's inventory
Fixed occasional issue where followers would disappear after player pays off a bounty after committing a crime
Fixed issue where certain creatures and NPCs would fail to respawn properly
Fixed rare issue with dialogue subtitles not displaying properly
Fixed issue with water appearing blurry when loading a saved game after creating a save underwater
Fixed issue where map cursor would occasionally disappear after closing a message box with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)
Fixed rare issue with shouts only performing the first level and not other unlocked levels with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)
Fixed issue where the shout buttons would stop working properly if users mashed LB and RB during cooldown with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)

Top Bottom