• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

African tribes hunting with spears in Africa... most depressing video I've seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dicer

Banned
People need to eat, and I was hella impressed with that Elephant tearing spears out with it's trunk, is it sad to watch? Yeah...but fascinating at the same time. Circle of life and all that.

(._.)

Banned
mroogie you need to get out more... how is this remotely depressing when americas youth is killing each other in high school hallways? natives killing for food SO SAD

It has nothing to do with eating animals, just how they killed them.

Slowly poking an elephant to death as it desperately pulls out the spears, until finally it gets stabbed in the eye and face 5 times in 2 seconds and collapses because it gives up is pretty rough.

Modern slaughter techniques are basically instant death, quick and relatively painless, far less suffering.

As for animals not having much room to move around in farms, they don't need to move. In nature they only move at all because the food in front of them gets eaten and they have to move to more food. We just keep putting food in front of farm animals so they don't need to move. Many cows are let outside for brief periods, often times they just go back inside because they don't like the weather.

Would you rather
A. live in a concentration camp until you reach adolescence and get executed via a slit to your throat, or
B. Live your life like normal but randomly get jumped by a gang at some unknown point during your life and get stabbed 60 times

I think most would pick B

zethren

Banned
2630123_o.gif

My god, the number of times some of those animals were speared is ridiculous...

neoanarch

So its clear the video in the op is staged. No way anyone would risk such a dangerous hunting method. Plus the amount of killing they are doing would feed a village of a hundred for months.

godnorazi

Banned
Would you rather
A. live in a concentration camp until you reach adolescence and get executed via a slit to your throat, or
B. Live your life like normal but randomly get jumped by a gang at some unknown point during your life and get stabbed 60 times

I think most would pick B

C. Pretend that none of that exists while i enjoy my steak that came off the grill and was bought at Central Market who doesnt hurt animals =P

Mohonky

That hippo had them on the edge of their toes. There was a good shot where the hippo tried to get a bite in, man a live it's easy to see how they kill so many people. Took a real fight to get it down too.

Would have been bad ass to see the elephant grab some one and just throw them in the air; spears flying in, people being thrown about like rag dolls. Would be entertaining

Loofy

Watching that video reminded me of age of empires.. you know, when you use your legion of spear throwers to kill that one deer..

That hippo had them on the edge of their toes. There was a good shot where the hippo tried to get a bite in, man a live it's easy to see how they kill so many people. Took a real fight to get it down too.

Would have been bad ass to see the elephant grab some one and just throw them in the air; spears flying in, people being thrown about like rag dolls. Would be entertaining
Yeah man It's totally bad-ass when people are maimed and killed in environments with no modern medical care for my amusement
While the loss of human life is regrettable, seeing some africans ragdolling through the air like a goddamn chinese kung fu flick would be hella fuckin' balls-to-the-walls awesome!

Why is it depressing? It's not like they're pumping the animals full or hormones and butchering them in a disrespectful way. This should be the way everyone gets their meat, I find it kind of uplifting.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Why is it depressing? It's not like they're pumping the animals full or hormones and butchering them in a disrespectful way. This should be the way everyone gets their meat, I find it kind of uplifting.
Yeah, we should do battle with the beasts we eat. It gives us an appreciation for what it is. I kind of feel like an asshole eating meat from the supermarket. If I had to do this shit to get it, I probably wouldn't be vegetarian, but I'd eat meat less and respect it more.

On a random note, it's interesting how little some of these animals bleed from massive stab wounds. That is some thick skin/fat.

Derwind

This is the first time that I've seriously contemplated becoming a vegetarian.

Really? The assembly line of animals that are processed everyday in shitty conditions, castrated in a cost effective way to build fat, pushed full of hormones, artificially inseminated & hooked up to a machine to pump their off springs food for another species to drink, pushed to death producing organic material in which their young develop in.... and then butchered after a short life living in small pens... to feed a mass population that on average waste 29 million tons or 40% of food each year.... and the over consumption, lets not even go their...

and this is the first time you contemplated becoming a vegetarian?

Indigenous hunters don't waste a single part of the animal, they feed on less longer and the animal actually lived a full life, or more of a full life than livestock in the food industry....

And honestly, meat is a food, nourishes our bodies.. Nothing wrong with that... nor anything wrong with being a vegetarian or vegan...

Despera

Banned
The best case scenario is allowing the animal to live in an open environment. And then kill it swiftly when the time is right to harvest the meat.

What happens in some slaughter houses is downright disgusting, but that doesn't make inflicting multiple spear wounds and making the animal face slow, agonizing death a good alternative. But I can't blame those hunters since their resources are limited.

Yeah man It's totally bad-ass when people are maimed and killed in environments with no modern medical care for my amusement
While the loss of human life is regrettable, seeing some africans ragdolling through the air like a goddamn chinese kung fu flick would be hella fuckin' balls-to-the-walls awesome!
It's not like they were attacked by lions in their sleep.
They chose to attack an elephant, so it's fair game.
Live by the sword spear, die by the sword tusk.
I don't see much of a difference whether a lion is killed by its would-be prey or a indigenous human hunter.

Edit: Scratch that, I see no difference at all. Human life isn't sacred or anything.

Riposte

That damn music was ridiculous. The actual content though I really just saw it as any other nature movie. Lions have to eat, they sink teeth into young gazelles necks. Just how nature works.

Big cats are often very humane killers believe it or not. They go right for the quick kill.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Humane? The fuck are people on about... these are tribes throwing spears what kind of ridiculous contraption are ya'll imagining that could give them the power to humanely hunt/kill a hippo? Walk up to the guy and put a bolt pistol to its head?

Branduil

Big cats are often very humane killers believe it or not. They go right for the quick kill.

Any hunter generally wants to go for the quick kill. The hunters in this video are obviously trying to kill their prey as fast as they can, it's just not easy to do that using thrown spears.

You should be happy, the fact you don't have to run around in a loin cloth chasing your dinner, which also has a good chance of killing you.

On that train of thought I think we've found a way for that GAFer to lose a couple stone, chase after dangerous animals in Africa, no fatties in that crowd.

Salacious Crumb

What did you expect? Meat doesn't grow on trees.

Still sad to see an intelligent dignified creature meet such a slow and gruesome end.

I don't resent these people for killing it though, don't get me wrong. If I had to choose between starvation and killing an elephant for food, I'd be the first person lining up to throw a spear in the poor bastards eye.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I don't resent these people for killing it though, don't get me wrong. If I had to choose between starvation and killing an elephant for food, I'd be the first person lining up to throw a spear in the poor bastards eye.
And if you did it with the people you lived with and cared about, your convictions would adapt to your people because we are in many ways social creatures. And while you did it, you'd be blinded with adrenaline. And when you were done, you'd feel the relief and accomplishment together with the others. And while you were eating it, you'd feel pretty damn good because nutrition does that, especially after periods of strong hunger. And when you saw your people survive in good strength because of your efforts, you'd feel damn good about being a hunter.

It's our nature.

Aren't these films were exploitative of the natives involved?
Or exaggerating the tribal rituals etc. of the tribe for Western audience? Seemingly shown to be barbaric and ignorant of endangered species, while misunderstanding of what the ritual is composed of, or what it really means in the evolutionary past? Or just plain exploitative?
/Anthro Student

IpsoFacto

I don't blame the people who find the video shocking at all.

Tribes kill and sometimes do it very gruesomely to get their meal. We are inclined to always think of the noble savage, because it's a confortable to do so...

However, it might also shock you guys to learn this and again, I don't blame anyone for getting worked up over this, that elephants in many african countries are considered harmful in the same way we perceive rabbits, warthogs and foxes as parasites that ruin crops and kill the farmer's live-stock.

JiuJitsuka

Neo Member
Personally, I believe that anesthetizing an animal before slaying it with CO2 for example is a much better option. It's merciful towards the poor animal. Moreover, I believe the act of slaying animals shouldn't be in masses. Under these circumstances, I can eat meat without having a bad feeling about the animal.
In the end, the animal will die, get absorbed in the earth and plants take up the nutrients. Vegetarians eat the plants. So if these animals hadn't died to supply the plants, vegetarians would run out of a food source.
The video just shows how things were before we had modern technology which can mercifully slay an animal in order to eat it. It seems very brutal, but always remember that ALL animals do this. Look at lions when they hunt, for example. Or any other animal which hunts down a smaller.

Feature

Banned
Atleast they hunt with spears for food and such, not some pussy ass hunter with a gun sitting in a fucking tree (hunting for food or not, doesn't matter bunch of cowards).

dab0ne

It's sad but at the same time they are hungry and have to eat. I think it's incredibly ballsy to hunt like this. I would be terrified to hunt Elephants and Hippos in this fashion. Plus, I wonder how many times they accidentally spear each other. That would definitely be bad news. Actually, any of these dudes should do the javelin in the olympics. These guys are very skilled hunters.

zoukka

It's not like they were attacked by lions in their sleep.
They chose to attack an elephant, so it's fair game.
Live by the sword spear, die by the sword tusk.
I don't see much of a difference whether a lion is killed by its would-be prey or a indigenous human hunter.

Edit: Scratch that, I see no difference at all. Human life isn't sacred or anything.

Spoken like a true nerd who has never left his backyard.

bjb

Banned
I find it rather sad in the sense that people will bitch and moan about perceived problems (first world ones), but they couldn't possibly imagine having to physically fight for things such as food like these tribes and savages.

I'm actually really impressed at the distance and accuracy those guys got with the spear throws.

It is quite impressive.

Miggytronz

I found it pretty fucking awesome to see "primitives" fight for their meal. 10,000 too. Circle of life at its best. Great find OP.

Man trying to kill that hippo was risky to say the least, they can really fuck you up.

akira28

Seriously, that hippo part was some real scary stuff. They did not want to let it out of the water. They knew how deadly the hippo was. Plus it was with it's children. If it had suddenly charged them, they would have all bolted. But maybe it didn't because it was with it's babies. I kept looking at the elephant and hippo kills seeing how if they were just a little bit smarter they would have possibly made it out alive. Then again, if these animals were smarter, we might not be here. There's something to be said for appreciating your place in the circle of life, but there's more to be said for not abusing your spot at the top of the food chain as well. I know that a lot of people would look at that video and call those people savages, but too often it's modern civilization that meets that description, in relation to nature. We're the 'gods' of this Earth now, or at least that's how we act.

I finally gave in to morbid curiosity and watched this... the music is really fitting.

The hippo at the end was one tough mother-lover... can't believe how many spears and how many people it took to put it down. It does all seem so senseless.

The elephant one probably made me wince most because of the spears in the head, near the eye sockets and stuff like that... just not nice at all. Again though, quite a tough beast.

Y'know say whatever you want about the motives of the hunters and make whatever ethical argument you want, I just feel sorry for these particular animals. Darwinism and life are cruel enough without this shit.

Zizbuka

Banned
How come we never get to see the animals win? There must at least be accidents, with all those spears being chucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom