• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

African tribes hunting with spears in Africa... most depressing video I've seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

msv

I don't see the depressing part here. I guess to elephant thingy might be sad, didn't get to that, the music was way too annoying.

The way animals are treated in farms is much, much worse than this hunting. From what I saw, the video was actually interesting and not depressing at all. I think y'all got influenced too much by the annoying background music.

Arcteryx

Since these tribes often choose to ignore any form of modern technologies to help them hunt. I'm not even talking about making it easier on the animals, I'm just talking about the whole damn tribe hunting down a single animal instead of just a couple of hunters shooting an animal and providing food for everybody without a problem.

Watch Africa Addio, and you'll see what I mean.

More hunters = potentially more stuff to catch/higher chances of catching stuff (also higher chances of nailing each other with a spear)

Increasing the odds of being fed would be a GOOD thing for them.

Anyone remember those badass Africans?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNeNTMmltyc

I can't even begin to imagine the size of their balls.

I met this Masai bro who was my wife's assistant when she was doing elephant research in Tanzania, awesome, friendly, nice guy...skinny as a rail. Then my wife told me that a few weeks before he had fended off a lion with his bare hands (no knife or spear) when trekking in the wild. Those Masai warriors are serious business.

.GqueB.

Banned
What I meant by that is the methods available to them. We could have MUCH more "humane" methods, not to mention efficient ones, but we don't.

At least these animals had a chance to survive out in the wild, something that can't be said about most animals in meat farms.

I was looking at it from a big picture pov, not necessarily just discussing the killing but also taking into account the existence of the animals.

I'm more inclined to side with the tribe fighting for their food over the man walking down an assembly line slicing the necks of pigs.

Well you focused on the killing aspect and that's what I'm speaking to.

But in the case of the bolded, I would watch a movie called Food Inc. In summary, I think farmers get a bad rap sometimes and it's often undeserved. The methods they use are often terrible but required because we demand so much meat. They're simply doing what they can to keep up with demand and unfortunately those methods are often shitty.

If every farm operated like a local farm and went the "humane" route then we would have a serious meat shortage because demand would not be met. Ask your fellow americans to stop demanding so much meat at low prices.

Want less, pay more and demand a certain quality and you will get it. If not then you get nothing. They aren't simply going to stop factory farming out of the goodness of their hearts. They have bills to pay and mouths to feed just like all of us.

TheYanger

What saddens me far more than this video, is the fact that anyone would make a thread or comment on it in any sort of negative fashion. Anyone trying to purport that this is 'wrong' has my extreme ire. This is how we have survived for nearly 2 million years. Take some anthropology classes someday, it will do you well to appreciate mankind, where we've come from, evolution, and other cultures.

TheYanger

Giving a shit about other animals is a rather recent development.

Most cultures throughout history besides modern western culture revere animals far more than we do. There's a big difference between killing them in slaughterhouses and not giving a shit, and hunting them and being thankful to the earth for providing. These animals are revered for giving their lives for those who eat them typically.

Somehow I still think all the empathy for animals is unnatural and a result of TV teaching us to project human traits on to them.

The most outspoken self-proclaimed animal "lovers" are often pretty wack fellows.

get out of her with that bullshit.

Giving a shit about other animals is a rather recent development.

no, it isn't. egyptians and cats ring a bell?
mayans revered the Jaguar as a god and respected it?

Zeke

Anyone have that one video of hunters in Africa tracking and chasing their kill for hours? I can't remember what tribe it was but I remember it being posted here on gaf sometime back.

Log4Girlz

Most cultures throughout history besides modern western culture revere animals far more than we do. There's a big difference between killing them in slaughterhouses and not giving a shit, and hunting them and being thankful to the earth for providing. These animals are revered for giving their lives for those who eat them typically.

You know what, true. I like the idea of worshiping some cool panther god.

akira28

Hunter-gatherer cultures have respected, revered, and even worshiped the animals that they hunted. They respected the animal spirits, and the gods that helped them during the hunt. Mainly because it was fucking hard to hunt and get meat to eat so they were super grateful when they did. Believe that they weren't as casual about it as someone driving to Win-Dixie for a pound of ground beef who probably couldn't give a fuck.

spcd

The only problem I have with this is the fact that those hunters kill the animals so slowly.

Those spears aren't good enough. After all these centuries of hunting one would expect they have developed techniques.

But instead they are inflicting hundreds of minor wounds until the animal just can't take anymore. I'm guessing after they fall down they still live for a long time.

Africa Addio, a landmark in the exploitation/mondo genre. Racist as fuck and partly staged, but still incredibly interesting in its own way.
(looks up the wiki entry)

Film critic Roger Ebert, in a scathing 1967 review of the (unauthorised) American version of the film, called it "racist" and said that it "slanders a continent". He noted the opening narration and subtitles
"Europe has abandoned her baby," the narrator mourns, "just when it needs her the most." Who has taken over, now that the colonialists have left? The advertising spells it out for us: "Raw, wild, brutal, modern-day savages!"
gee, I wonder what the Italians that mustard gassed Ethiopia were.

Enosh

the penetration on those throws were awful, in one shoot the spear bounced off the animal, wouldn't bows work better?

clemenx

Banned
Sure does. Luckily those of us in modern societies don't need meat anymore to not starve. Hopefully the entire world's human population can eventually be in such a state.

Is this serious?

Are vegetarians/vegans in that high of a horse? Thanks for the laugh good sir.

Parch

The human race would not survive on hunting alone, and imagine how many species would be extinct if humans didn't raise their own feed animals.

Encouraging humane treatment on farms is encouraged, but there's no denying that the food industry is a necessity. In fact there are many examples that the "natural" way of hunting is more destructive. The cod industry on the east coast fell apart because of overfishing. Then these fishermen are screaming that their way of life no longer exists. Well, boo hoo. Same thing happened to the whaling industry.

The farmer grows his crops. The rancher raises his animals. At least they're creating food instead of just taking from nature. Hunting and fishings needs to be strictly regulated or they'll just rape nature to the point of extinction.

In a lot of cases, huntings deserve more criticism than ranching.

clemenx

Banned
none of the ones i met irl are

Same here.

The only bad experience with a vegan I've had was with my English teacher. She never told us she was one so at the end of the course when we brought some food and stuff for a kind of a party she didn't eat anything. I thought it was a bit annoying, she could have always told us. Oh well not really a bad experience.

Thank God my (and I guess all of our) ancestors left that place.

What? I don't even...

surprised it took this long to see this idiotic comment pop up

It's not an idiotic comment. While I didn't fault any of the hunters in the video and, in many ways, the hunter/hunted dynamic is way more humane than the dynamic that exists in many parts of the US, I still couldn't help but root for some of the animals that were weaving through the crowds.

This video is 45 years old. While there still might be some that do this I think africa has moved a little past this.

Hopefully some day the same can be said about the treatment of animals for food in the US.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
gee, I wonder what the Italians that mustard gassed Ethiopia were.

In all fairness, Africa was a land of unabridged savagery during much of the 60's (well, and the 70's, and the 80's and even a good chunk of the 90's). The Simba and Zanzibar rebellions were every bit as shocking as portrayed in the film.

Anyway, the preamble at the beginning of the film is pretty jawdropping. I wouldn't call it a pro-imperialism movie, but holy white burden, Batman!

Bellamin

Sure does. Luckily those of us in modern societies don't need meat anymore to not starve. Hopefully the entire world's human population can eventually be in such a state.

Now the world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you, may not be right for some.

Give me a freaking break. These animals are being hunted like our ancestors did thousands of years ago. Nothing will go to waste. Sure it might seem violent to people who don't understand where meat comes from, but that's part of the cycle of life. One type of organisms eats others. Deal with it OP.

Zeke

It's not an idiotic comment. While I didn't fault any of the hunters in the video and, in many ways, the hunter/hunted dynamic is way more humane than the dynamic that exists in many parts of the US, I still couldn't help but root for some of the animals that were weaving through the crowds.
no its idiotic point blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom