• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Kazerei

Banned
Episode 8/9: The pace really slowed down... the first two episodes flew by so fast, but now, each battle seems dragged out. Ugh :\

Episode 10
tumblr_lvognkI7jv1qzk4cro2_500.gif

Wow Hisoka was pretty awesome.
Severing the dudes head?! Wow!

Only wish they started Leorios part.

this anime can be a bit extreme compared to the first. hisoka specifically is too show-off-y when in the original anime (and manga) he's subdued, effortless and downright eerie.

Yeah, that
decapitation
silhouette definitely make the outlook a bit more optimistic. Even if the tone is lighter normally, if there's a shift in scenes like that, I can deal.

Next episode is the big one.

Episode 11

Well Killua is still an epic assassin, Johannes stood no chance.
Mindblowing how Killua just went right up and managed to completely rip out the dudes heart in the clothe as it was still beating, how in the world did he do it. Most curious how his old man did it except with not even a single drop of blood shed.
Though this keeps me guessing if he is good or evil...

The moment of truth is here and it sure was... something. I honestly don't know what to think of this. I mean on one hand it seems to mean nothing is taboo as long as it's implied rather than outright shown. On the other, the censorship could reach "it's okay, I can see their parachutes" level of stupidity from time to time. I mean
where did Killua get a bag so fast? Does he just keep one around whenever he needs to rip someone's heart out? I didn't think assassins would be super hygienic.

I don't know what this means for the Chimera Ant arc in the unlikely even it makes it that far, but I suppose I'll keep watching for now.

Also, Johaness was A LOT more intimidating in the original anime.

upandaway

The moment of truth is here and it sure was... something. I honestly don't know what to think of this. I mean on one hand it seems to mean nothing is taboo as long as it's implied rather than outright shown. On the other, the censorship could reach "it's okay, I can see their parachutes" level of stupidity from time to time. I mean
where did Killua get a bag so fast? Does he just keep one around whenever he needs to rip someone's heart out? I didn't think assassins would be super hygienic.

I don't know what this means for the Chimera Ant arc in the unlikely even it makes it that far, but I suppose I'll keep watching for now.

Also, Johaness was A LOT more intimidating in the original anime.
The music in the original anime was crazy in that part. Anyone who doesn't remember should rewatch it on Youtube, it was a really scary tune.

But anyway that bag is the part of the shirt that Killua ripped the heart out from. It's the same color, and there's a hole there on Jones. Killua just grabbed the chest from outside so I guess what they meant there is that he grabbed the heart through the shirt, then just used the shirt piece as a bag.

Lirlond

I didn't mind the shirt covering johanes' heart, but I wish they had kept the crush in. The scene just felt really drawn out.

Terrible recap. At least the soundtrack was nice. I ended up spending the whole episode just speculating on what will happen or the characters. Cant wait to see Ging and get Killua fighting.

Episode 14
tumblr_lxh58c2e3D1r5a62uo1_500.png

Well it kept me on the edge of my seat for the whole time. 4 and 5th phase? Seems quite long for an exam arc but this island hunt was cool. Kind of unfair and depressing for Gon that he has such a tough opponent, I can see no way that he can steal the tag. Utterly impossible.

upandaway

I feel really bad and annoying for doing this again so let this be the last time I say anything about it. But yeah, this felt a little too relaxed compared to how tense the old anime was. Sorry the last time I swear. No more.

I liked the Pokkle part. (manga spoilers)
Made me really sad because I remembered what happened to him in the ant arc :( that was just crazy

Episode 15
tumblr_lxv0wzHszp1qf4jbro1_500.jpg

Hisoka is a really cool character. This had to be one of the best episodes for him thus far. I like his personality and so calm and collected. I still fear there is no way for Gon to triumph, however, it was more shocking that he didnt do anything to Gon, seriously, there is honestly no way he cant tell Gon is there?

Really hope next episode has more Killua.

This show is so lame compared to the original TV series. It makes me sad. I wish they could've captured that feeling. The music, art, animation.. and not being censored. So many moments in the series are elaborated on so much more in an emotional manner in the original TV series than this one... especially with episode 16.

If you compare this to how it was handled in the original TV series for instance... Gon eating stuff and forcing himself to vomit, and then moving near a body of water. I really wish this series had as much depth to it... but it's just shallow now. :( I'm not looking forward to any of the darker moments in the series anymore.

I dont understand, typically people dislike filler in anime, I thought all that stuff was considered filler material?
tumblr_ly6qnfj69Y1r2wa64.png

Regardless, this episode 16 was pretty awesome and intense. I actually did a leap of praise
when Gon got the tag, mind blown. I thought he would fail and have to fight Hisoka, not snatch it and run. And great thing Hisoka is pretty nebulous, to give Gon the tag and his other

Hope we get great Killua action next episode.

Well 25 episodes in and going to some Heaven's Arena or whatever, HxH is a really compelling anime and I hope it stays in for the long run. I like it seems to have been able to differentiate itself from the other popular anime in its genre and become something really unique and cherishable.

Mumei

I dropped this after the first episode, since I really disliked the new VAs and the cuts. Any point in going back at this point?

Piecake

I dropped this after the first episode, since I really disliked the new VAs and the cuts. Any point in going back at this point?

I think ill watch it if it ever finishes the greed island ark since I thought that was just soooo poorly animated and really hurt the quality of the show. Ill probably start from the beginning then just to get used to the new VAs

upandaway

I didn't really see any scene yet that justifies watching the new over the old (even if we're talking about just watching that specific scene on Youtube or something).

I think it's fair to say the new anime's similar to how Greed Island was animated, so if they get to GI I think it'll be better to watch the new one. Just guesswork.

Still on it and enjoying the romp down vague memory lane since it has been such a long time since I saw all of the original anime run of it---annoyingly it looks like next weeks is going to be another damn recap episode like they did after the first 10 or so episodes, really hope that isn't going to be a recurring thing.

Still on it and enjoying the romp down vague memory lane since it has been such a long time since I saw all of the original anime run of it---annoyingly it looks like next weeks is going to be another damn recap episode like they did after the first 10 or so episodes, really hope that isn't going to be a recurring thing.

If this is going to be an ongoing thing, they'll probably have to do it a lot while Togashi has his hiatuses.

Ep 27.

The start of this new Heavens Arena arc was fun, though I kind of wish they spend more than one episode in it? The
powers
is litrally the only thing I felt was missing for the series and finally, I cant wait.

New OP and new ED are awesome, liked the images. Looks like the arcs(?) shall be really compelling.
tumblr_m2i5gqTH4Y1qj5hzwo1_500.jpg
tumblr_m2i5hyvAYU1qj5hzwo1_500.jpg

Episode 30: This really sucks. Every episode of this just makes me miss the original style and direction more.

Maybe the stuff past the original TV series/first OVA won't leave such a bad taste in my mouth, though.

upandaway

Episode 30: This really sucks. Every episode of this just makes me miss the original style and direction more.

Maybe the stuff past the original TV series/first OVA won't leave such a bad taste in my mouth, though.
It's not just the general style of it, they're also being a bit lazy. For example Gon dodging the tops, there wasn't even any animation there. Just slides of pictures of him dodging with clothes flickering. The old anime was crazy in that scene.

They're doing a better job explaining Nen though. Dunno if it's the translation or whatever but it's a tad clearer than either the old anime or the manga.

Kind of glad I had experience with the old anime after watching the new. I dont think they are really hampering or making it less good than the original (at least up to where I stopped of that, that is through the fight with Killua and the prisoners in the hunter exam dungeon).
tumblr_m3l6k35VVi1qlp4x9o1_500.gif

The way they handled Gon dodging actually looked stylish, like he was dancing. I was more impressed with the JPN writing saying the attack name in blazing fire as well as the camera angles employed for it and the music.

I dont know, anime is pretty good making me put it in the top tier of manga->anime adaptations, a hxh fan.

upandaway

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3l6k35VVi1qlp4x9o1_500.gif[img]
The way they handled Gon dodging actually looked stylish, [B]like he was dancing[/B]. [/QUOTE]
Man, I wish I could show you a gif or a Youtube (it should be around episode ~40 if you have access to the old anime), you'd see what I mean. THAT was like dancing. Unless by dancing you mean doing the robot, then you'd be right.

I still remember the part where he twists his ankle when a top was going for his toes. Seriously what was that.

I have a couple of good things I can say about the new anime too, but Gon vs Gido not one of them.

edit: just checked, it's EXACTLY episode 40. I'm the best anime.

Man, I wish I could show you a gif or a Youtube (it should be around episode ~40 if you have access to the old anime), you'd see what I mean. THAT was like dancing. Unless by dancing you mean doing the robot, then you'd be right.

I still remember the part where he twists his ankle when a top was going for his toes. Seriously what was that.

I have a couple of good things I can say about the new anime too, but Gon vs Gido not one of them.

edit: just checked, it's EXACTLY episode 40. I'm the best anime.

Well I actually hated this fight due to plot reasons
Gon losing, pretty terrible when a main protagonists loses so badly and in a terrible way, really they ought to have shown Killua fight or something as he never takes intense damage and loses in such an embarrassing way

But ep 40? guess Ill try to see how they handled it there, thanks.

EDIT: I see what you mean, although the new one gave it better visual style and flare (the coloring and tops), the old one actually did make his dodging and what not look pretty cool and way more animated.

upandaway

I completely forgot to post about it last week, but I figured I might as well now.

For those who only watched the old anime and skipped out on this one, the last few episodes (31-32) fully animated Hisoka vs Kastro (+the explanation after the fight) which was almost completely censored in the old anime. The only thing they cut was most of the blood throughout the fight (though there wasn't a lot to begin with), and Hisoka
eating his hand

Just a heads up for those who didn't read the manga (or even if you did read) and are curious. It's a damn good fight, and the animation didn't really destroy anything.

Moaradin

I never watched this anime, but Yu Yu Hakusho is pretty much my favorite anime of all time. Is this anywhere close to as good? Is there good dubs like YYH, if any at all?

Kazerei

Banned
I never watched this anime, but Yu Yu Hakusho is pretty much my favorite anime of all time. Is this anywhere close to as good? Is there good dubs like YYH, if any at all?

HxH is almost as awesome as YYH. I'd definitely recommend it. There is an official dub of the original series on DVD, but I haven't watched it, so I can't comment on that.

Piecake

I think HxH is quite a bit better. Though i am referring to the original anime since i havent watched the new one yet

Diablos54

Well I actually hated this fight due to plot reasons
Gon losing, pretty terrible when a main protagonists loses so badly and in a terrible way, really they ought to have shown Killua fight or something as he never takes intense damage and loses in such an embarrassing way
You hate anything when the MC loses, no matter what the circumstances. I guess that's why you like FT so much. :p

Moaradin

HxH is almost as awesome as YYH. I'd definitely recommend it. There is an official dub of the original series on DVD, but I haven't watched it, so I can't comment on that.

Hmm, I might have to give it a try then. I never got into HxH because I heard the manga has some bad art.

Kazerei

Banned
Hmm, I might have to give it a try then. I never got into HxH because I heard the manga has some bad art.

The first 180 chapters or so are perfectly fine. After that, Togashi got lazy/sloppy. I think some of the artwork has been re-done for the volume releases though.

This is from chapter 184. Great detail on that chicken, and everything else is scribbles lol

Top Bottom