• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Daddy and Nathan Drake revealed for PlayStation All Stars

Anyone else expecting this guy upon entering this thread?

daddy_480x480wluzr.jpg

Just me I guess.

get-out.gif

evolution

Considering the relationship Sony built with irrational from last years e3 im not surprised. I think it could be cool. I wonder if he'll have a little sister with him.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Big Daddy? A Playstation All-Star? I don't know, maybe my definition of what a PlayStation all-star should be is very different... but big Daddy is certainly not it.

I'm gonna be really pissed if guys like Dante don't make it in now. That would just be weird after this character reveal...

Huh. I like Big Daddy, but it's kinda disappointing if that's the direction they're going with third-party characters. Not, "Who is relevant to the Playstation brand?" but, "Who can we get who is currently popular?"

If they're in an exclusive Vita game, being developed, they are relevant to the Playstation brand.

Loudninja

Big Daddy? A Playstation All-Star? I don't know, maybe my definition of what a PlayStation all-star should be is very different... but big Daddy is certainly not it.

I'm gonna be really pissed if guys like Dante don't make it in now. That would just be weird after this character reveal...
Yes I going to be pissed if this random character does not make it in because of Big Daddy.

I can see this is going to be really annoying.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
if it's real then I didn't see big daddy coming out of all. Honestly, I prefer more playstation iconic characters. I am not sure if big daddy should be considered as one yet.

Loudninja

Hah some of you are completely missing the point.I know Dante is no random character I am saying people will blame Big Daddy or some other character when their favorite character is not in the game.

sn00zer

Its going to come down to spending resources wisely....if it say takes the same amount of money to license one huge third party Sony character (Cloud) as it would to take three less known characters (Bid Daddy, whoever else) they are going to take the less well known characters...I really wouldnt be surprised if there is a balance between Sony paying for character permissions and companies paying Sony to put their characters in the game

SmithnCo

Honestly I don't care that much about the 'playstation icon' aspect of it as long as we get crazy and distinct characters. Obviously some PS fanservice would be nice but I also want picks like this.

sn00zer

He was the last person I expect to be here. He doesn't seem like a iconic figure that came out of the play station brand

But is that a big deal? This is the first character that has been a surprise, opening the door to more characters is not a bad thing in my book.....im sure the more obscure Playstation characters will show up as background/trophy/collectibles

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Dante is more well known than Big Daddy.....
It's not even about popularity to me. It's about relevancy to the brand. DMC1 and DMC3 are unquestionable God-Tier PS2 games (God-Tier games in general really).

Calling the main character who was a part of a game that spear-headed the berth of modern action gaming "random" is as fucking insane and asinine as it gets.

It's not even about popularity to me. It's about relevancy to the brand. DMC1 and DMC3 are unquestionable God-Tier PS2 games (God-Tier games in general really).

Calling the main character who was a part of a game that spear-headed the berth of modern action gaming "random" is as fucking insane and asinine as it gets.

Woah boy, calm down there.

Lyonaz

If Little Big Planet can get FF7 costumes, this game can get Cloud and Sephiroth.
Do it Square-Enix! And Sega can give us Kazuma Kiryu and Bayonetta while they are at it.

to be perfectly honest; reading the thread title; I'd forgotten what a BD was. yeah, this is cool. :)

they should also have the hero's HAND as a playable character.

and/or ATLAS/fontaine

He was the last person I expect to be here. He doesn't seem like a iconic figure that came out of the play station brand

Neither are Snake to the Nintendo brand. Big Daddy is just a fun character, that will have an interesting, brutal play style.

I for one welcome all interesting characters to the game, regardless if they're super iconic for being related to Sony.

I-hate-u

If Little Big Planet can get FF7 costumes, this game can get Cloud and Sephiroth.
Do it Square-Enix! And Sega can give us Kazuma Kiryu and Bayonetta while they are at it.

I will be ticked off if he isn't in it. Not only is he the main character of one of a kind franchise on ps2/ps3, but he would be an opportunity missed by Sony for him to be the poster boy for the game in Japan

B.O.O.M

Could we at least contain the bitching of non reveal of a character you prefer before the official reveal, until the official reveal?

For now I think this is great. A unique character with a lot of fun gameplay possibilities added to the roster = win

Neither are Snake to the Nintendo brand. Big Daddy is just a fun character, that will have an interesting, brutal play style.

I for one welcome all interesting characters to the game, regardless if they're super iconic for being related to Sony.

Metal Gear and Snake's Revenge ring a bell?

matmanx1

Big Daddy is awesome. I have no problem with him being in the cast. So what if he wasn't actually made famous on a PS system. He's make a fine addition to the roster.

sn00zer

Would be real awesome if they got Chell in...Valve seems more than happy to license the portal characters as seen in the potato ARG

Ivan 3414

If Snake shows up, there's no way he will ever be in another Smash Bros, I think. Sega would also be idiots to include Sonic in this game. There's way more money for them in Nintendo's lane.

People are setting themselves up for disappoint even remotely wanting Crash or Spyro.

Were they important during the PSone era? Absolutely! They were Sony's mascots, but times have changed and Naughty Dog, Insomniac and Sony cut their ties with Universal (who now belongs to Activision) ages ago. It's like wanting Banjo-Kazooie in Smash bros because he was big during the N64 era. Rare's gone, and so is Universal. There's plenty of characters Sony has made since the PSone, and Sony needs to push their own creations and IPs and not try to cling on to Crash and Spyro. If those two characters meant anything in 2012, why are they not as big names as they used to be?

I think it's funny that you think they won't be in.

They included Parappa, a character from a dead series which is far more irrelevant to Sony's history than Crash and Spyro. Since they're including third party characters, at the very least, Crash is in the game. This has nothing to do with "clinging" on to a series. If the roster is any indication, this game is a celebration of Sony's history, and regardless of their relevance now, Crash and Spyro were big parts of that history.

This is utterly fantastic. Big Daddy, as people pointed out, is the most tangentially related character possible that could be in a sony fighter. That means anybody who's ever appeared on a Sony platform is fair game, and that makes my mind reel. Optimus Prime? Cloud Strife? Mr Domino/Mosquito? Bayonetta? Akira Yuki? Dante/Nero? Anybody from the past 5 years of Atlus games?

I-hate-u

Would be real awesome if they got Chell in...Valve seems more than happy to license the portal characters as seen in the potato ARG

Ehh I don't knw about her. I would rather have atlas and p-body as 2 fighters in 1 slot. Like a Gemini character sort of

sn00zer

This is utterly fantastic. Big Daddy, as people pointed out, is the most tangentially related character possible that could be in a sony fighter. That means anybody who's ever appeared on a Sony platform is fair game, and that makes my mind reel. Optimus Prime? Cloud Strife? Mr Domino/Mosquito? Bayonetta? Akira Yuki? Dante/Nero? Anybody from the past 5 years of Atlus games?

But theyre not All Stars....
Yes the potential is huge and that is awesome

Ivan 3414

I don't think Nintendo would take very kindly to the idea of a character switching to a major competitor's game that directly competes with their own game.

But who knows, I guess. Third party characters in Smash Bros was once laughable to begin with.

Sponge

Banned
I don't think Nintendo would take very kindly to the idea of a character switching to a major competitor's game that directly competes with their own game.

But who knows, I guess. Third party characters in Smash Bros was once laughable to begin with.

Uh, Brawl wasn't the first crossover game Snake was in.

Top Bottom