• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Daddy and Nathan Drake revealed for PlayStation All Stars

SmithnCo

Tons of hate but Big Daddy is awesome, can't wait to see what his three supers are. Males me excited to see who else are they going to get from third parties.

Hopefully they go crazy with it, have little sister, maybe splicers/plasmids, etc.

Or have a Rapture level with that stuff in the background. Would be awesome.

Bigfoot

I love all the hate in this thread, it's like it's okay when Nintendo adds a third party character. Sony does it? Oh no, what a mistake!
If you are a Sony fan though, wouldn't you want the best third party characters? Every third party character in the game means licensing fees which means less profit. It seems smart to keep the third party characters to a minimum and to save the likes of Big Daddy as DLC or for the sequel if the game is a success.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Theres also Snake for what it seems and people are talking here as if there is already/they want half of the roster with other third party porperties.

Im pretty sure if an unremarkable third party character as Big Daddy (and I like Bioshock) is in, there are going to be LOTS more.

*shrug*

don't really care about your opinion, tbh, but blindly disliking something before the information is fully revealed is a quick way to make yourself look dumb if you're wrong.

Have fun though.

The problem is I think people wanting crash and spyro will be ecstatic they are in, but when the game is finally released they will not be buying or playing the game anyway.

It works for nintendo because their nostalgic characters often are still popular today. Sony just can't quite get by on this. Most of their mascots have not aged well or were never big in the first place.

It isn't too hard to strike a balance but they need all the popular or interesting third party characters they can get.

Anybody called pyramid head yet?

SSReborn

Which third-party characters do we truly associate with PlayStation anyway? Snake, Raiden, characters from FF VII to XII (Cloud, Sephiroth, Leon, Tidus, Yuna, etc.), Lara Croft, Dante, Spyro, Crash, etc...

Feel free to add more as I know I'm forgetting a few, but it isn't hard to see why they'd get more "multiplatform" characters to fill in the roster.

Sora (though he can be associated with Nintendo as well)
Kazuma Kiryu
Tekken Characters

sn00zer

In the case of Spyro, he's either showing up with new skin or not at all....but that doesnt mean they cant throw in a classic costume as well or have the new skin as an alt

Haunted

I think thats what people arent getting. The mascot/icon thing was just speculation. This means that any character is possible imo
And it'll probably make for a more diverse and interesting roster, even if it doesn't hit the highest possible Sony fanservice notes.

Very good tradeoff, imo.

Sponge

Banned
Shit is going to hit the fan when Crash or Spyro dont get in....as soon as the community sees something they dont like they immediately put on blinders ignoring all of the other awesome characters included in the game, sure ill be sad when I cant play as classic Spyro, but Ill be having a hell of a time kicking the crap outta Jak with Ratchet

People are setting themselves up for disappoint even remotely wanting Crash or Spyro.

Were they important during the PSone era? Absolutely! They were Sony's mascots, but times have changed and Naughty Dog, Insomniac and Sony cut their ties with Universal (who now belongs to Activision) ages ago. It's like wanting Banjo-Kazooie in Smash bros because he was big during the N64 era. Rare's gone, and so is Universal. There's plenty of characters Sony has made since the PSone, and Sony needs to push their own creations and IPs and not try to cling on to Crash and Spyro. If those two characters meant anything in 2012, why are they not as big names as they used to be?

Shit is going to hit the fan when Crash or Spyro dont get in....as soon as the community sees something they dont like they immediately put on blinders ignoring all of the other awesome characters included in the game, sure ill be sad when I cant play as classic Spyro, but Ill be having a hell of a time kicking the crap outta Jak with Ratchet

It would be the developers fault for doing something as stupid as not including the Playstations first mascots in a Playstation smash bros game

Averon

Don't really get the hate for Big Daddy appearing in the game. Seems like hating the game just for the sake of it.

sn00zer

It would be the developers fault for doing something as stupid as not including the Playstations first mascots in a Playstation smash bros game

Yep it would be the developers fault for not forcing another company to hand over their characters to do with whatever they pleased. C'mon man, leave comments like this to other sites.

While we're at the topic, expect Snake (MGS) and Cole (InFamous) at E3.

cgfpL.jpg

:O :O

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Big Daddy is not a Playstation character, wtf.

At least Snake and Sonic had their own exclusive games on Nintendo's system.

Well technically there is supposed to be a Bioshock Vita exclusive game shrug. It's a bit of a stretch right now though I'd agree, he is definitely not a third party character one would associate with the playstation brand.

any result from the 2nd poll with Kratos, Radec, Parappa and Big Daddy?

my guess Kratos will come on top, but I wonder who took the 2nd spot. hoping it's parappa, but I think it'll be close netween Radec, Big Daddy, and Parappa

Huh. I like Big Daddy, but it's kinda disappointing if that's the direction they're going with third-party characters. Not, "Who is relevant to the Playstation brand?" but, "Who can we get who is currently popular?"

Big Daddy isn't really "currently" popular, though. Bioshock came out in 2007, the beginning of this generation, which will be five years in the past by the time this game comes out, believe it or not.

Yeah, I'd be more likely to associate Big Daddy and Bioshock with the 360, but honestly, Big Daddy isn't that bad a 3rd Party choice. Yes, there are people like Cloud, Spyro, Crash, Lara Croft...but they were associated with the PS brand back in the 90s and licenses have changed hands and aren't first-party anymore. Sony getting third party characters that used to be associated with the PS brand is a lot more complicated than Nintendo going through its annals and picking out first-party things they still have rights to.

The confirmation of third-party characters is probably more exciting than Big Daddy itself.

Now to overinflate my expectations:
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Lara Croft
Snake
Cloud Strife

Edit: Oh Snake confirmed?

Very iconic character. Good choice.

Exactly eleven people on Earth want to play some obscure Sony character over a big dude with a drill arm. Don't listen to them, Sony.

SmithnCo

The confirmation of third-party characters is probably more exciting than Big Daddy itself.

Now to overinflate my expectations:
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Lara Croft
Snake
Cloud Strife

Edit: Oh Snake confirmed?

Third-party was confirmed when the game was announced on Gametrailers. Snake is pretty much confirmed by way of Cole's VA.

Kuro and Turo are already crapping up one fighting game. Don't need them in another one.

:(

Drencrom

any result from the 2nd poll with Kratos, Radec, Parappa and Big Daddy?

my guess Kratos will come on top, but I wonder who took the 2nd spot. hoping it's parappa, but I think it'll be close netween Radec, Big Daddy, and Parappa

The result was (if I recollect correctly):
  1. Kratos
  2. Big Daddy
  3. Parappa
  4. Radec
People really do love that ferocious bastard.

Third-party was confirmed when the game was announced on Gametrailers. Snake is pretty much confirmed by way of Cole's VA.
Didn't realise.

Googled David Hayter to see if he had done any other voice work for game characters - but he hasn't really so yeah, Snake confirmed for all intents and purposes. Random aside: didn't realise he was the same David Hayter who wrote the first two X-Men films.

SykoTech

Bitchfest central up in heah

Yep.

Though after the Tomb Raider and Hitman threads, I'm not even fazed. Most people on GAF these days just seem to love overreacting and jumping to crazy conclusions the second something they don't like is announced.

Big Daddy is far from being my personal first choice, but he makes sense. He's an iconic character from a developer that Sony has a good relationship with, and could provide a pretty unique playstyle.

The only disappointing thing is that they probably haven't changed the game's horrible name/logo.

Looking forward to seeing what other 3rd party characters get in. For some reason, this leak makes me think that Chell will get in as well.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
If anything, this gives me faith that Bioshock Vita is REAL and is coming.

I wish I could be this optimistic.

Revealing Big Daddy to be in this game would make a hell lot more sense if it was right after footage of gameplay from the Vita game.

But that thing is totally going to end up like Resident Evil PSP :(

I think they will show a bioshock vita trailer, then ken Levine will talk about big daddy's presence in another game which would be revealed to be PBR.

Top Bottom