• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart Wii Thread of Official Mario Kart

DarkKyo

Damn, this is all pretty awesome.

This may have been adressed already, but why are we getting the game later than Europe?! :lol

So what are the options for items both on- and offline. IGN said you can disable items altogether and alter their spawning behaviour. But since IGN has been spreading so much false info about MK I'd like to hear it from someone who has the game.

dyls said:
:eek:

:O

This is like the megaton of all megatons. I've been waiting for this since this infernal service began. Finally a use for the 60-odd people I have in my Wii friend-list with whom my only communication was the two or three Miis we sent each other 14 months ago.

Please, Nintendo, for the love of God, make this the standard. It has been the single biggest impediment in the entire service. Imagine, having to write down only one 12-digit code per person, it's...it's...it's actually usable.

*cries*
What he said.

The only thing I'm really impressed with so far with Mario Kart is online features. I'm still in "Sort of Want" mode. The tricks look kind of pointless, and they took out all the unique items, and it sounds like they've ruined battle mode, but I could be wrong.

Neo Samus

OP, there is a slight error in the track listing. You have Bowser's Castle 3 marked as from SMK when it's actually from MKSC. Check out the video and you'll see that it says GBA then Bowser's Castle 3 (in French).

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
ProfessorLobo said:
The only thing I'm really impressed with so far with Mario Kart is online features. I'm still in "Sort of Want" mode. The tricks look kind of pointless, and they took out all the unique items, and it sounds like they've ruined battle mode, but I could be wrong.

... they took out "all the unique items"?

What is missing that you wanted? Personally, I'm more interested once I saw some of those youtube videos and noticed that the first place racers can actually GET the "top ranked" items now... at least, they appear in the item spinners after hitting an item block. I assume the odds of getting the "best" stuff is lower for 1st place than the others places, but that's a good sign.

Overall, the game looks great.

DavidDayton said:
... they took out "all the unique items"?

What is missing that you wanted? Personally, I'm more interested once I saw some of those youtube videos and noticed that the first place racers can actually GET the "top ranked" items now... at least, they appear in the item spinners after hitting an item block. I assume the odds of getting the "best" stuff is lower for 1st place than the others places, but that's a good sign.

Overall, the game looks great.

Yes, they took out the items that each character had from Double Dash. Which isn't a huge deal, but that takes out like seven items that added some fun variation to the game. I would have like to have seen something different from Mario Kart, like maybe aiming items with the Wii pointer. I think Mario Kart DS perfected the Mario Kart formula and I just wanted to see something different (motorbikes don't count). I still might check it out.

EDIT: I also hate the idea that on sharp turns, you can simply go off the edge, do a trick, and earn a boost. What the hell is the point of being an excellent driver and staying on the track?

nightside

Stormbringer said:
Direct-feed footage of Rainbow Road - still from the Japanese version, and still thanks to NicoNico :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFoCm7QExs8

Looking really good. I love the obvious reference to Mario Galaxy.

awesome!

ProfessorLobo said:
Yes, they took out the items that each character had from Double Dash. Which isn't a huge deal, but that takes out like seven items that added some fun variation to the game. I would have like to have seen something different from Mario Kart, like maybe aiming items with the Wii pointer. I think Mario Kart DS perfected the Mario Kart formula and I just wanted to see something different (motorbikes don't count). I still might check it out.

that would have required to not implement any other control scheme different from "wiimote+nunchuk"...can you imaging the bitching?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
ProfessorLobo said:

Ah.. the character specific items. Eh... personally, I never saw those as being good anyway... but that's just me.

Anyone notice if Wario has his roadster back?

RagnarokX

ProfessorLobo said:
EDIT: I also hate the idea that on sharp turns, you can simply go off the edge, do a trick, and earn a boost. What the hell is the point of being an excellent driver and staying on the track?
You can only do that on specially designated trick walls...

zoukka

God Jebus Nintendo took the award of the most generic game-cover/box and game-title, at the same time.

Can't wait to split-screen this shit :D Online just isn't for MK.

Milpool

To anyone who has the game already, is the speed when playing online gimped? I remember in MKDS it wasn't 150cc when played online.

Stormbringer said:
Direct-feed footage of Rainbow Road - still from the Japanese version, and still thanks to NicoNico :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFoCm7QExs8

Looking really good. I love the obvious reference to Mario Galaxy.

looks great! Didn't see the overload of high powered items like a few others reported, which is good. It's so weird to see what place you're in say 9th-12th. I can see the trick boost, which seems to be just like a power slide boost, so they definitely are worth performing. Watching this video, I got a severe case of backseat driving, where I'm thinking, "What are you doing, use that weapon now!!!" 27th can't come soon enough.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Just started playing, the controls with the wheel are pretty great. Very responsive.

Innotech

Banned
plaguis said:
Anyone tried the Wii Wheel with Excitetruck yet?
it really doesnt make much difference from wheel or no wheel. Its just a snap on addon. However Excite truck is controlled in a different axis than MArio Kart.

zoukka said:
God Jebus Nintendo took the award of the most generic game-cover/box and game-title, at the same time.

Can't wait to split-screen this shit :D Online just isn't for MK.

Its named just like mario kart ds , wich is very very popular

sprsk

How do you add people from your Wii friend code list? Also, thank god Nintendo that, now I can just add everyone's wii numbers.

Sakurai, why didn't you put that in SSBB?

sp0rsk said:

maybe its because the director of NWC was in charge of MKWii online...

Or maybe Nintendo ´s strategy was to introduce online elements in baby steps to not scare casuals

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
sp0rsk said:
How do you add people from your Wii friend code list? Also, thank god Nintendo that, now I can just add everyone's wii numbers.

Iwata : Sakurai, why didn't you put that in SSBB ?
Sakurai: (laughs)
Iwata: (laughs)

AniHawk

sp0rsk said:

It was either Ice Climbers or adding people from the friend code list.

fresquito

So I've been playing the game since yesterday and I've written my first impressions: http://pulsastart.blogspot.com/2008/04/mario-kart-wii-primeras-impresiones.html (they're in spanish). I'll summarize for non-spanish people.

- I haven't been anticipating the game too much. I'm not fond of the Crazy Autos direction the series was taking.
- Tricks don't add too much to the experience.
- Bikes are awesome. I really like them. Big surprise for me. Some of them feel like you're playing a motocross game, some others feel like GB superbikes.
- I like motion controls. They feel right. Pressing some buttons doesn't feel very confortable. Nothing very important though.
- No snaking=great decision.
- Online works very well. No aparent lag and very smooth. At first it takes a bit to set a game, but once it's set, it goes like silk. People goes in and out of the game, but you never notice. If they drop during play CPU takes the place. You can run a 7 players game, then a 12 players game, then a 10 players game.
- Graphics and sound the worst aspect of the game. They are very fluid and portray good animations, but other than that they're mediocre at best.
- Overall positively surprised. I think it could well end up being the best Mario Kart yet.

Model 500

Fresquito, thanks for the impressions!

Is there a way to choose / limit / turn off items in multi and / or online?

And does the blue area in the ramps give you boost even if you're not jumping but just driving along it "sideways"?

crispyben

OK guys & girls, good news all around! I found MKWii in Paris today, popped the game in my 3.2E PAL Wii, launched the game without any kind of update, played online with sound, installed the MK Channel, went back to the Wii menu, popped in the Freeloader and launched SSBB without any problem. :D

The game is indeed slow in 50CC, but it gets better later on. I tried the Wii Wheel, not feeling it so far compared to the Wiimote+Nunchuck... The force of habit I guess. Online didn't feel gimped at all, don't worry, and it's handled pretty well. The stats are cool too, but SSBB did that too.

Off to play some more!

fresquito

I haven't played local multi or friends online, so I cannot tell. About the second question, I don't quite understand what you mean.

If you're asking if you need to use all the ramp to get the boost, I can't tell, I should try and see.

crispyben

Model 500 said:
Is there a way to choose / limit / turn off items in multi and / or online?

And does the blue area in the ramps give you boost even if you're not jumping but just driving along it "sideways"?
1) Not that I saw.
2) It felt so.

todog

I can confirm that the European PAL version works on my US-NTSC Wii console using a US-NTSC Freeloader. The wii has been running the latest firmware since this past weekend and when I started playing Mario Kart yesterday evening it worked with the normal boot method just fine.

No update was necessary at all.

Later tonight I will try if the online mode works with this method, although I will not risk installing the Mario Kart Wii channel. If I have time I will try to upload some pictures as proof later this evening.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
sp0rsk said:
Just started playing, the controls with the wheel are pretty great. Very responsive.

Wait a minute... You said you didn't really like Mario Kart (as a whole), didn't you? And yet, you bought this one? Was it for the controls?

sprsk

Kilrogg said:
Wait a minute... You said you didn't really like Mario Kart (as a whole), didn't you? And yet, you bought this one? Was it for the controls?

It was on a total whim, I was riding home, passed the game store and was like, fuck.

DataBot

I dont understand Nintendo its already leaked and they are still keeping the release date in Germany. Some retailers have it since monday and they cant sell it .
Thats a great job encouraging people to get pirated stuff ....

Seriously, make sure my Wii number is up-to-date in your address books. I am going to be very active in the online portion of this game and want my list filled out. Nintendo sent me a new Wii to replace my gimped one and they didn't keep my console ID number the same.

Model 500

fresquito said:
About the second question, I don't quite understand what you mean.

If you're asking if you need to use all the ramp to get the boost, I can't tell, I should try and see.

Sorry, can't explain it too well...the blue and narrow boost area in the ramps, all I've seen is people jumping from it? And it looks like you gain boost everytime you touch it. But jumping (being in air) takes time so the boost benefit doesn't seem that big, but, if the blue area gives you continuous boost all the time you're on it, you could just drive on it (and not jump) and get a continuous boost. It would require advanced skill because it's quite narrow and you would drive on a "tilted" surface. I've been thinking this since I saw the first pics, would be excellent. Hmmm, sorry, difficult to explain.

Thanks crispy.

Top Bottom