• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All firmware updatable 8Bitdo controllers are now Switch compatible!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I have one of the SNES ones, need to dig it out pronto, will beat using a Joy-con for player two in multiplayer games!

I hope Nintendo's cool with this. It'd suck if they suddenly decided to patch it out. Doesn't the PS3 similarly accept any USB Dinput pad? It's a handy feature to have.

For the SFC 30, ignore the readme in the update files on 2 points:

1) The lights won't blink yelllow in update mode
2) Don't put it in pair mode after selecting Switch mode. Just go to grip order.

Recognises it as a Pro controller and works fantastic

EDIT: Unless they ever get my Neo Geo USB stick working, this is the best way to play Metal Slug <3

Thanks for the heads up, this worked perfectly for me with my snes30.

What are the odds of Nintendo patching this out?
Very slim. It appears that they used Direct Input as a basis for their controls, hence why it's trivial to get a Pro Controller working on PC. Subsequently, there doesn't appear to be anything preventing other manufacturers from spoofing the commands of a Pro Controller (which is basically what 8bitdo did). Unless they suddenly enable secret controller DRM, I can't see a way for Nintendo to block this.

mieumieu

This is awesome!

I have a SNES30 for retro gaming needs and I finally can play Shovel Knight on Switch the way it is meant to be played.

Also immediately bought a NES30 Pro for the extra buttons.

How the hell do i pair this thing? The instructions (down and select) dont work. Nothing happens. Not even flashing lights.

Firmware updated fine.

You hold start + Y button.

Thank you! Readme file is very confusing - my fault though for not reading more closely.

Took 5 tries for the thing to pair, also thanks to the tip above re: put switch in change grip mode, not pair mode.

Edit: why does the support page instructions only show up in google cached mode? The actual page is just a search bar and some kanji characters. I didn't even know how to simply turn it off and on.

Frustrated but glad it finally works.

Listonosh

For some reason my NES 30 Pro won't pair with it. And none of the videos on youtube actually show it happening. I get to the blue light blinking four times to get into Switch mode. Then I hold down pair for it to start blinking constantly, and my Switch just doesn't ever see it.

blahness

For some reason my NES 30 Pro won't pair with it. And none of the videos on youtube actually show it happening. I get to the blue light blinking four times to get into Switch mode. Then I hold down pair for it to start blinking constantly, and my Switch just doesn't ever see it.

are you on the change grip screen when doing this? I had a little trouble getting mine working earlier because I wasnt on the right screen

Listonosh

are you on the change grip screen when doing this? I had a little trouble getting mine working earlier because I wasnt on the right screen

Yep, been on that screen a while. Firmware updated no problem. For some reason it just isn't showing up at all on that screen. Is it supposed to keep searching forever? Because after a little bit it just turns off

Is it possible that it isn't charged fully? The LEDs turn green whenever I plug it in, so i figured it was charged. Guess I'll plug it in and let it charge overnight and try again tomorrow morning

SOLVED: Simply had to restart my Switch and it paired right away.

Some searching net and GAF shows a lot of complaints about the Dpad on these things, yet I see some positives in this thread? Was this something fixed in newer revisions or is it still an issue?

Orayn

Some searching net and GAF shows a lot of complaints about the Dpad on these things, yet I see some positives in this thread? Was this something fixed in newer revisions or is it still an issue?

I think even with the issues it's considered one of the best d-pads on a SNES reproduction controller. Not sure about revisions.

jariw

The problem Nintendo can kill this support at anytime right ? I don't think they will let this go for long

Or perhaps the support is there now, because Nintendo provided the technical info on how to support the controllers? It seems their controllers support Wii U and Wii as well?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
great! just updated my FC30Pro

no revision. but as far as dpads go it's still "good enough" when you think about how many devices the fc30pro supports.

D.Lo

no revision. but as far as dpads go it's still "good enough" when you think about how many devices the fc30pro supports.
As stated previously in the thread, yes there has been at least one revision. I have two NES30s and on one I can produce the diagonals issue, and on another I cannot.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
As stated previously in the thread, yes there has been at least one revision. I have two NES30s and on one I can produce the diagonals issue, and on another I cannot.

rly? I just bought one, but I can reproduce it. how can you see if you got sold an old one?
Edit:
I didn't open it, but did a direct comparison between two NES30s. The newer one (6 months old now) I could not make up register from the left of right arrow sections of the dpad. The older one (1 year old) would do this.

But then a newer SFC30 still had the issue, so it may be a crap-shoot.

...you said it like it was something official right now. don't take it personally, but until it is opened and we can see that the contacts are different or we get an official 8bitdo statement..

Filter

Is the FC30 pro good? D-pad wise.
Or should I go for the SFC30? Hard to tell which is more comfortable from the photos.

I don't want to play USFII on my pro controller with the messed up D-Pad.

Dambrosi

Banned
So I managed to get this up and running on my Switch, and I played a bit of Blazing Star with it, so here's some short impressions.

On the Switch menu screen (where your games are displayed), the dpad and buttons are responsive as all hell, no missed inputs at all (and yes, I did try the "register pushing in the left or right on the D-pad as Up" test that so many D-pads fail, including my Pro controller's). The one thing I will say is that I own an actual Super Famicom with an actual official worn-in SFC pad that gets regular use, and compared to that, the 8BitDo D-pad feels stiff and resistant to touch, as do the buttons - it takes slightly more effort from the player to get a response from the on-screen highlight than it does with the JoyCons or the Pro. Now, I haven't actually used my 8BitDo much since I got it last year - a couple of iOS games that were compatible, and that's it - so it might just be that I haven't worn it in properly yet, but that was a bit concerning at first.

In-game, however, it was a diffeent story - there was a small but noticeable amount of input lag from the D-pad, like maybe 0.15 - 0.3 secs, which I think was caused by the stiff D-pad. Since it took more effort to push the directions down to register input, the actual response tends to come out slightly later than I expected, resulting in it never feeling quite right like my SFC pad or even my Pro Controller does. There is no such problem with the buttons, since they had no such problems with lag, though they were similarly resistant. I think I'll just have to keep on abusing the little D-pad until it starts behaving right--er, that did not come out right at all, but I'm sure you all know what I mean.

Also, please bear in mind that I only tested it with Blazing Star for about 5 minutes, and haven't played any Switch games with it yet. However, I've inadvertently pulled an all-nighter and need sleep now, so I'll come back and revise my impressions when I do that later on, after I've had a good nap. G'night, all.

tsumineko

Holy shit, I just setup both my SFC30 pads with my switch and played some Tetris, it was absolutely perfect. This is incredible. I can't wait for the Seiken Dentetsu collection to release now! Absolute game-changer!

D.Lo

...you said it like it was something official right now. don't take it personally, but until it is opened and we can see that the contacts are different or we get an official 8bitdo statement..
No not officially. I may open it and show the internet if I have time, it definitely behaves differently.

molnizzle

App isn't recognizing controller wants I plug in my SFC30. I hold start+L+R and it never blinks yellow either. Not sure what to do?

Hasney

App isn't recognizing controller wants I plug in my SFC30. I hold start+L+R and it never blinks yellow either. Not sure what to do?

Unplug it, turn it off and then boot it with start+l+r and plug it in with the app open. If it doesn't work, do it again with it on.

It doesn't flash yellow.

molnizzle

Unplug it, turn it off and then boot it with start+l+r and plug it in with the app open. If it doesn't work, do it again with it on.

It doesn't flash yellow.

turn it off?

How?

edit: never mind, figured it out by looking at the manual that came with the game.

They should probably add the on/off step to the firmware .txt for people like me who bought this specifically to play on the Switch. Upgrading the firmware is the first time I've used it.

Hasney

turn it off?

How?

edit: never mind, figured it out by looking at the manual that came with the game.

They should probably add the on/off step to the firmware .txt for people like me who bought this specifically to play on the Switch. Upgrading the firmware is the first time I've used it.

Yeah, the readme is confusing. Also, don't put it into pairing mode by holding select like it says. Just start it up with start+y then go to change grip/controller order and it should show up.

Top Bottom