• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A look at Youtube trailer views for E3 2017

I really don't understand what people see in Days Gone. Is it just popular because Sony's trying to hype it up or are people genuinely interested in it? It looks like the most run-of-the-mill game shown at Sony's conference. Pretty much the whole gameplay demo was just generic open world driving, QTE punching (all scripted, you aren't choosing which punches you're doing), and baby's first stealth game. It didn't even look good last year.
Emergent systems-driven open world gameplay, with zombies that are actually a legitimate threat

It looks like the most generic game ever though. I just cant generate any excitement for it. And I'm really trying because I need more games for my PS4.

Do you have a PC where you buy mult? Because I only have a PS4 and I don't know how else I can save money to spend on more games.

Just this year I bought: Gravity Rush 2, Nioh, Horizon Zero Dawn, Mass Effect Andromeda, What Remains of Edith Finch, Nex Machina, Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy, Final Fantasy XII HD. I missed and want: Kingdom Hearts (both collections), Resident Evil VII, Nier Automata, Persona 5, Prey...

Isn't that like a lot of games?

Maybe people should look a little more info about Days Gone, I can't say I don't understand the sentiment if you only watched the main presentations but even with that alone the game doesn't look like an insult to videogame history.

Boke1879

People need to realize as far as Days Gone goes. They need to separate their apparent lack of interest from how the mainstream truly feels.

The game has TONS of appeal. Open world, crafting, narrative driven and Zombies.

Lets not front like Walking Dead still isn't one of the most popular shows on TV.

KHlover

Banned
It's basically the brutal realistic post-apocalypse similar to stuff that people like such as The Road and Last of Us + open world + nice graphics + role-playing through dynamic systems + zombies unlike anything that has been seen in games before or in any medium besides the WWZ movie.

They sure did a good job of showing exactly none of that in the trailer during the presentation and instead made it look like a scripted QTE borefest.

They sure did a good job of showing exactly none of that in the trailer during the presentation and instead made it look like a scripted QTE borefest.
That's why it was so cool. What you thought was so scripted was pretty much all dynamic. Play that mission during a different season and time of day and those wolves won't be there. Be cautious and scout ahead and you can flank the guys waiting in ambush by the road tripwire. You can just skip the bear trap all together since you don't want the screams to attract that big-ass horde. And so on

fhqwhgads

Put me in the "I have no idea why Days Gone is so popular" camp but it could always be a thing. Dying Light proved you can still make a zombie game interesting these days.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Numbers specifically for trailers on Nintendo of America's YouTube page

As of 20:45 GMT, June 15th, 2017

Super Mario Odyssey - 6,125,533 views | 154,362 likes - 5,356 dislikes
Metroid: Samus Returns - 1,524,597 views - 48,277 likes - 930 dislikes
Metroid Prime 4 - 1,336,581 views | 39,454 likes - 1,686 dislikes
Kirby - 838,779 views | 23,759 likes - 201 dislikes
Yoshi - 816,742 views | 17,033 likes - 389 dislikes
Sonic Forces - 737,632 views | 21,915 likes - 606 dislikes
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser Minions - 595,549 views | 19,567 likes - 218 dislikes
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 430,351 views | 22,644 likes - 591 dislikes
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 384,377 views | 9,669 likes - 328 dislikes
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle - 360,456 views | 9,770 likes - 591 dislikes
Fire Emblem Warriors - 319,139 views | 7,196 likes - 389 dislikes
Sushi Striker: The way of Sushido - 199,867 views | 4,391 likes - 525 dislikes
Rocket League - 194,106 views | 6,840 likes - 74 dislikes
Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star - 175,959 views | 3,851 likes - 168 dislikes
Just Dance 2018 - 103,051 views | 2,156 likes - 240 dislikes

Numbers for Nintendo Switch-specific trailers from third parties' american YouTube channels

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Ubisoft US) - 3,270,965 views | 16,485 likes - 2,896 dislikes
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks) - 565,847 views | 7,489 likes - 2,231 dislikes
Rocket League (Rocket League) - 101,618 views | 4,693 likes - 110 dislikes

gamerMan

Not surprised that Spiderman is the most viewed. It looks and plays like a movie. It will be interesting to see if all that popularity leads itself to game of the show awards as the game play that was shown was very disappointing.

Didn't people hate on TLOU being a Zombie game as well? Give it a chance.
Zombies are still big too. Walking Dead may be losing viewers but it's still a rating juggernaut. Train To Busan broke records. World War Z was Brad Pitt's highest grossing movie. Dying Light is getting a full year of DLC two years after release. CoD Zombies is practically its own game within the main games nowadays. The Girl With All The Gifts was relatively well received, and the studio already has the movie rights to the sequel.

Servbot24

Banned

I feel like if you've been playing video games for even a small amount of time you should be aware that cinematic set pieces do not reflect standard gameplay. I gotta say that one's on you.

I mean, there's nothing about Days Gone that gives it any sort of personality to elevate it above any other zombie game. It's looking like the Ghost Recon Wildlands of zombie games. I get why a lot of people aren't enthused.
No zombie game has zombies like it. For a genre where the undead is usually fodder, that instantly stands out IMO. Even in L4D, you can defeat a horde with good strategy.

That's why it was so cool. What you thought was so scripted was pretty much all dynamic. Play that mission during a different season and time of day and those wolves won't be there. Be cautious and scout ahead and you can flank the guys waiting in ambush by the road tripwire. You can just skip the bear trap all together since you don't want the screams to attract that big-ass horde. And so on

- It was all scripted for the E3 demo, though. That was all planned beforehand.

- Oh boy, the QTE wolves.

If Days Gone is this game all about emergent gameplay then why have the past two times it's appeared on stage just shown scripted moments that were planned out way beforehand, QTEs, and none of this dynamic weather?

No zombie game has zombies like it. For a genre where the undead is usually fodder, that instantly stands out IMO. Even in L4D, you can defeat a horde with good strategy.

Sure, you can't just take the zombies on like an idiot, but the E3 showings so far have made them look really easy to just trot away from. Unless one gets you by surprise they don't look that threatening.

Not denying the game will sell like hotcakes and the mainstream will eat it up but as someone who's played plenty of games like Days Gone before, what does it offer me that I should be excited for? More of the same isn't enough anymore.

I mean, there's nothing about Days Gone that gives it any sort of personality to elevate it above any other zombie game. It's looking like the Ghost Recon Wildlands of zombie games. I get why a lot of people aren't enthused.

I think its a bit TLOUish myself but who know what the game will be like - both of the things I saw for it - last year and this year; both held their cards very close to themselves so I have no idea what the game's story is like. RN the game is a mix of TLOU + a 3rd person shooter with zombie hordes.

If it reviews well enough, I'll buy it for sure.

People love zombie games. The Walking Dead TV show is still huge.

carlsojo

If Days Gone is this game all about emergent gameplay then why have the past two times it's appeared on stage just shown scripted moments that were planned out way beforehand, QTEs, and none of this dynamic weather?

Not denying the game will sell like hotcakes and the mainstream will eat it up but as someone who's played plenty of games like Days Gone before, what does it offer me that I should be excited for? More of the same isn't enough anymore.

That's how demos work for E3 presentations.

Or an dynamic open world,dynamic events, the survival aspects with the bike, weather effecting the freakers and the way you ride etc I could go on

More re: Days Gone.

Bend/Sony never showed a story trailer. Both trailers were mechanics focused. I dont think anyone even knows what the main character is called or why the world is what it is. Anyhow, once they're ready to show more - I'm hyped.

xaosslug

Spiderman is gonna make so much money.

on the one hand I'm proud and glad for Insomniac that this game will likely put them up their w/ the big dogs, but on the other it's sad that if this game is super huge they will have to put all their original IP dreams on the backburner for the foreseeable future... hopefully, it will push MS to fund Sunset Overdrive 2, tho!

If people aren't enthused that's their own damn fault. They're really sleeping on this game. All signs point to Days Gone being a cut above Dead Island, Dying Light, State of Decay, (insert zombie game). The setting alone makes it stand out.

Planned beforehand doesn't equal scripted. Yes, they deliberately did things like drove into the tripwire, placed the bear trap and lured the guy into it, and blew up the barrier to use the infected on the enemy camp, but you don't have to do any of those things

And you can find gameplay of both year's demos that show alternate playthroughs. Plus multiple impressions and footage from this year's demo showing the dynamic weather and open gameplay

Sure, you can't just take the zombies on like an idiot, but the E3 showings so far have made them look really easy to just trot away from. Unless one gets you by surprise they don't look that threatening.
Well, the first E3 demo gave the player like 500 bullets and didn't seem to have stamina, and this one didn't have him facing a giant horde. Limited ammo and limited stamina means you'll run out of ammo before making a dent and won't be able to run far before being overwhelmed.

More re: Days Gone.

Bend/Sony never showed a story trailer. Both trailers were mechanics focused. I dont think anyone even knows what the main character is called or why the world is what it is. Anyhow, once they're ready to show more - I'm hyped.
They have actually we saw the story trailer first. His name is decon

xaosslug

The God of War trailer is a masterpiece. One of my all time faves.

peeps in my Skyforge chat last night were losing their shit over it. They also think his son will be a playable character and you'll be able to choose between them before mission. xD LOL

Gilby

Numbers specifically for trailers on Nintendo of America's YouTube page

As of 20:45 GMT, June 15th, 2017

Super Mario Odyssey - 6,125,533 views | 154,362 likes - 5,356 dislikes
Metroid: Samus Returns - 1,524,597 views - 48,277 likes - 930 dislikes
Metroid Prime 4 - 1,336,581 views | 39,454 likes - 1,686 dislikes

Numbers for Nintendo Switch-specific trailers from third parties' american YouTube channels

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Ubisoft US) - 3,270,965 views | 16,485 likes - 2,896 dislikes

So wait, why are there different numbers for Mario here than the OP?

Boke1879

People that are down on Days Gone comparing it to Wildlands like Wildlands isn't one of the highest selling games this year.

It's ok if it doesn't stand out to you. But to try and translate that into acting like the general public feels the same is just off.

I've seen so many people excited for this game. Maybe not as much as GOW or Spider-man, but it's a good looking game with a lot of freedom.

Loudninja

What is so hard by doing a little research on the game?

Lynx_7

Those DB FighterZ numbers are a bit misleading. There are a bunch of reuploads with very high viewcounts. If you pick the biggest uploads it has about 2m+ combined views.

Ivan 3414

People that are down on Days Gone comparing it to Wildlands like Wildlands isn't one of the highest selling games this year.

It's ok if it doesn't stand out to you. But to try and translate that into acting like the general public feels the same is just off.

That wasn't at all my argument and I agree with you. I think it will do well like Wildlands, to my point. I was saying that I get the reasoning as to why there's pushback for this zombie game. Like a CoD or a sports entry, not much new looks to be offered here, just refinements.

Accoun

Surprised to see Wolfenstein that low (for me the game of this E3 and the trailer itself was really nice) and to see Metro above it. I mean, both have over 2 mln views so it's not like it wasn't appreciated.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Open-world Last of Us sounds good to me. Days Gone looks fun, I really don't get the hate at all. Even if you say it looks generic and a mish-mash of plenty of other games, why is that a bad thing? It looks, well, good.

That wasn't at all my argument and I agree with you. I think it will do well like Wildlands, to my point. I was saying that I get the reasoning as to why there's pushback for this zombie game. Like a CoD or a sports entry, not much new looks to be offered here, just refinements.
That is video games in general.

Top Bottom