• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Sometimes I feel like every Zelda game is hated

Only sometimes? I've seen suckers hate on ALTTP and LA.

WHO DOES THAT? What kind of sick, twisted, ruined soul filled with hatred, bile, malice, and a general lack of love for all that is good and right do you have to have to feel like that?

Ramenman

"OH MY GOD HD REMAKE OF WIND WAKER OMYGODOMDOGHFSDUHGIUDHFUIGHFDUI !!!"

*sees screenshots*

"... Nevermind."

Seriously wtf. I hope they're going to remember what Wind Waker actually looks like before this comes out, because this is terrible.

It looks nice but honestly I was expecting the toon shading to be better, maybe it works nicer in motion then in stills.

I quite like the filter they have run the textures through, maybe a little too mushed in places like bricks.

I can't wait to play this! It will be my first time playing Wind Waker.

"OH MY GOD HD REMAKE OF WIND WAKER OMYGODOMDOGHFSDUHGIUDHFUIGHFDUI !!!"

*sees screenshots*

"... Nevermind."

Seriously wtf. I hope they're going to remember what Wind Waker actually looks like before this comes out, because this is terrible.

What about it do you not like? I think it keeps the same cel shaded style enough to resemble the original.
and it looks like bloom is kept to a minimum. Maybe it has too many polygons?

I personally like both the Dolphin HD version and this HD version.

I know many people expected Dolphin Wind Waker, but I think it looks great (just a little bright and saturated). I get Zelda: Battle Quest vibes from this for some reason, particularly in the models. I do miss the cartoon look, though.

ED Cantu

I read the thread tittle and was about to order a Wii U but then I entered here and saw those screenshots.

Only Nintendo would be able to ruin the charm and awesome graphic style of WW, I don't like how the game looks in those screensots, I hope that this is just an early version and that the final game will look more like the original, if not, I think I'll pass unless they add some new content.

Not

Banned
I think they've hit all the right notes at one point or another in 3D Zelda's post-N64 career.

Wind Waker: amazing amount of character, cartoony style helps with this, but it was ALL cartoon

Twilight Princess: Gameplay is great, dungeon design is great, but world is overall pretty lifeless. Large lack of character.

Skyward Sword: IMO the ideal graphics style for 3D Zelda. Perfectly combines the colorful world of Wind Waker with a more realistic/grownup style (like Twilight Princess). However lacked any kind of real open world (not much exploring to do in the empty sky with a map of everything) and was a pretty easy game.

Take Twilight Princess' open world/swordplay/difficulty (although preferably make it even more difficult), Wind Waker's character, and Skyward Sword's graphic style, and use that as a base for the next Zelda and you should be good. Just make sure the new gimmick doesn't screw everything up.

Anyways this still looks like shit. Put the cel-shading back and turn off bloom etc etc.

whine whine complain criticize a graphics demo never satisfied etc. etc.

ASIS

there's a chance. at least, i hope that's what they refer to by 'tune up the overall game experience'

didn't miyamoto himself express dismay towards the triforce fetch quests? I can almost bet my avatar that they will do something about that.

I also think they will play with the inventory system & the wind waker.

Other than that. Maybe use the tingle tuner as a default, up the graphics, sprinkle some bonus features and easter eggs, add more interesting islands, add WM+ compatablity, more side quests, and an overhauled soundtrack and there you go!

EDIT: Somewhere in this post I feel like I went from making a realistic prediction to listing my wishlist :S

I am positive there is a quote out there about Wind Waker's missing dungeons making it in to Twilight Princess.

So, no, I doubt they're going to move those back to Wind Waker/make new dungeons.

Tuning the experience probably means more items at your disposal (since you have more buttons) and making sailing faster.

Not

Banned
Someone in the ND thread saw everyone dying of happiness over HDWW and predicted GAF would turn on it in 3 hours or less. Nailed it

QQWmDeq.jpg

AniHawk

I am positive there is a quote out there about Wind Waker's missing dungeons making it in to Twilight Princess.

So, no, I doubt they're going to move those back to Wind Waker/make new dungeons.

Tuning the experience probably means more items at your disposal (since you have more buttons) and making sailing faster.

maybe they'll clean up the triforce hunt at least. it wasn't so bad until you had to pay to translate each map and go back out to the overworld again. if it was just the first maps leading to triforce pieces (instead of charts), it would have been just fine.

that makes sense about the missing dungeons when you consider the water temple in tp being kinda light on swimming.

Jackano

Sadly, tuning the experience will be nothing but making the ocean less big, and/or increasing the speed of the boat indeed.

Remember that the main con Nintendo noted from gamers about TWW was the boring ocean and the time needed to travel throught the islands.
Personnal opinion: Frak those gamers, the slow pace, alone on the ocean, is completely part of the experience!

They tried to change that in Phantom Hourglass, and I think this is still the thing they will try to work on.

Is it me or do the characters look like they're straight out of a 'New Super Mario Bros.' game?
Maybe it'll look better in motion...

Really love the look of the game world though!

Loved the original so this will be a day one purchase for me!

Chuckpebble

Man, I was happy with this Nintendo Direct when the live stream died on me during the Wonderful 101 trailer. I finally come back to the internet just now to see THIS.

Just wow.

Its like Nintendo has been peeking into my dreams.

LukeTim

I'm saying negative reactions to its reveal led to poor word of mouth. Also look at the sheer glee from everyone involved when TP was unveiled.

"Finally a Zelda that looks good." That was the basic response.

That's interesting, because I am pretty sure that TP was the ugliest Zelda of all.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I think the original looks better, especially in Dolphin. This doesn't seem like a significant enough improvement in environment polycounts and detail levels and what not. I hope the look will improve a lot by the time it's done, especially in the cel shading if not the detail. But it's obvious it's not a primary effort at all, much like OoT 3D. Of course, I haven't played Wind Waker so I guess I'll get it if I ever get a Wii U, especially if they do improve on the gameplay complaints people have of the original.

Oh well, at least they will try to do more with it than most HD re-releases out there.

There really is a tonne of value in old games - it's titles like this that will convince me (have convinced me?) to buy a Wii U. A new coat of paint on a game I loved is apparently enough reason to buy into a new console.

trinest

Only now watching the Direct, already got spoiled because I read emails :|

But yeah I think it will be great, some will be disappointed its not Majoras Mask though. But I think that's 3DS anyway if its going to happen. Wonder if it will have the deleted dungons?

It doesn't look as good...

Yeah it has that werid gloss over it. It needed to be flat.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I think that was two dungeons actually. And one was on outset island.

I think it was actually 3. There clearly was supposed to a dungeon in place of Jabun just, well, GIVING you Nayru's Pearl.

But it feels like there were other areas the game was missing content, especially in the latter half of the game. Notably, retrieivng both the iron boots and the power bracelet one after hte other at fire mountain and ice ring isle, as well as the ewhole triforce hunt. Feelsl ike there should have been two dungeons there.

Porcile

The 'tuning up' could be encouraging the player to hunt for the TriForce pieces during the main adventure, rather than right at the end. When I've replayed the game this is how I've done it, and I think this is how it was intended to be carried out, but obviously no one actually does it this way.

I doubt we'll see the lost dungeon(s), but it'd be nice to get some remixed and harder versions a la Master Quest. Bonus fun if it's available from the get go.

Piers

The last thing the Zelda series needs is another remake or re-release of OoT.

Wind Waker is the best example of a flawed masterpiece within the series. It deserves more attention.

Good point. I wonder if they will change some aspects of the story progression.
You know.
468px-IN-Credible_map.jpg

Yeah. :(

Anth0ny

there's a chance. at least, i hope that's what they refer to by 'tune up the overall game experience'

why do I have a feeling they will only tune up the graphics

no tingle tuner

no new dungeons

triforce quest stays

maybe a master quest?

oot 3d was pretty bare bones.

nesboy43

Banned
I really don't see the need for this release. Playing Wind Waker off a Gamecube using standard RCA cords and a CRT TV looks beautiful. If someone used component cables from their Wii onto an HD TV it also looks good (better than most Wii games actually). I'm happy for the other game announcements but was anyone else a fan of this game around the time it came out like me? Everyone hated on it and now everyone on the internet overrates it like it was the best game ever. There is nothing wrong with appreciating a game later but people should at least be honest with the games actual flaws.

ASIS

no tingle tuner

no new dungeons

triforce quest stays

maybe a master quest?

OOT is often regarded as the holy grail of the gaming industry.
WW didn't get the same reception.

Sandfox

no tingle tuner

no new dungeons

triforce quest stays

maybe a master quest?

Master Quest(and a boss rush) would be awesome and it would be even better if they mirrored the game like they did in OoT 3D. They will probablly use the touch screen to make item management and sailing easier along with a few tweaks that will be announced later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom