• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Escape From Butcher Bay...first downloadable Xbox game on 360?

VinZuku

From the new (March '07) issue of OXM:

"Wondering why The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay isn't backward-compatible with Xbox 360? There's a really good reason..."

"You will get to play it on 360 - in a form you probably wouldn't expect..."

So...what's the story here? Is it going to be downloadable? 360 remake?

if it has any kind of Multiplayer where its Riddick vs Guards in pitch dark, then awsome

it should be within The Darkness or that Driver rip off

bengraven

I just want to be able to play it on my system. I don't care how. Just don't bastardize it and make it a non-Riddick version of the game.

Sean

Banned
Riddick will be fully playable on one of the TV's in The Darkness ;)

i don't really know anything, that would be cooler then watching old Popeye episodes though...

eshwaaz

Sean said:

i don't really know anything, that would be cooler then watching old Popeye episodes though...

I actually think that's a really good guess - it makes perfect sense, really.

This is one of the greatest FPS games ever made!

The last level with the mech and chainguns is the most fun I've ever had playing a game

Sean said:

That would be totally awesome!

Though I own this game I would love to see a native 720p downloadable version, it's one of the best games last gen in terms of action and fun.

VinZuku said:
From the new (March '07) issue of OXM:

"Wondering why The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay isn't backward-compatible with Xbox 360? There's a really good reason..."

So...what's the story here? Is it going to be downloadable?

That wouldn't be a really good reason for the people who want to run their existing copy via backwards compatibility...

VinZuku

Sean said:

I think we have a winner.:)

Speevy

Banned
How do you include a rom of a game that's at least a few GB on a game that is most likely utilizing most of the 360's 7.05 GB.

That makes absolutely no sense. It's like finding a copy of Mario 64 in Animal Crossing DS.

eshwaaz

LJ11 said:
The game is awesome, easily one of the top 5 Xbox games IMO.

I totally agree. I really wish Starbreeze was working on a Riddick sequel instead of The Darkness. It may turn out really well, but I just don't find the character or premise very appealing.

RavenFox

Banned
Speevy said:
How do you include a rom of a game that's at least a few GB on a game that is most likely utilizing most of the 360's 7.05 GB.

That makes absolutely no sense. It's like finding a copy of Mario 64 in Animal Crossing DS.
Ddint you hear Microsoft can compress anything.

LJ11

I expect to play games in one of two ways, via disc or through a download. Sean's idea is probably something I (or we) wouldn't expect.

Rhindle

There should be more outrage in this thread.

If they're really planning on releasing it as a downloadable game for $$$, instead of a free BC patch, then F U Vivendi, Starbreeze and anyone else involved.

Owzers

Rhindle said:
There should be more outrage in this thread.

If they're really planning on releasing it as a downloadable game for $$$, instead of a free BC patch, then F U Vivendi, Starbreeze and anyone else involved.

Pre-emptive outrage attack.

Barnolde

Banned
I was wondering when MS would do this (you'd think they'd have put Halo 1/2 on XBL by now). It's an easy way to make money for everyone, give quality software from a system cut down too early a new life and appease the moanings of Gaffers. Not to mention that Riddick would look awesome in hi-def, no jaggies ftw.

I'm assuming that with a new update, you could either download the full game, at no more than 1200 MS points ($15) or just put in your game disc.

Btw, a quick check with DVD2Xbox reveals Riddick to be 3.25GB.

So this leads to the real question, will Panzer Dragoon Orta join Riddick at the Xbox re-launch? It damn well better.

IJoel

in a perfect world they'd implement some sort of multiplayer but taken as is i'd buy it for $10-15. never did get to beat the original before my xbox crapped out. I was loving it though.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
If MS is gimping BC intentionally to get us to buy downloadable versions, I'm going to be pissed.

Sony didn't gimp Tekken 5 to sell us all T5 DR.

Speevy

Banned
Fatghost said:
If MS is gimping BC intentionally to get us to buy downloadable versions, I'm going to be pissed.

Maybe they found that somehow running the Xbox game off its original disc was more difficult than making a downloadable version.

Maybe they wanted to respond to Sony's release of full-fledged games and thought this would be a lucrative idea.

As long as it's the same price as the original Riddick, who cares?

Sony didn't gimp Tekken 5 to sell us all T5 DR.

Yeah, they would gimp a 2005 game to sell you a 2007 downloadable game for their next generation console...

IJoel said:

Assuming this becomes reality, how would one go about transferring the data from his current hard drive to the new one? I'm assuming that you won't be able to. Unless this is why they're coming out with bigger Memory Units... which means you'd have to spend even *more*. How genius.

LJ11 said:
I already spent $49.99, so I care. :D

well if its like a port of the pc directors cut then your getting more content and more than likely improved graphics

so id pay 20 for that (I sold riddick anyways)

AtomicShroom said:
Assuming this becomes reality, how would one go about transferring the data from his current hard drive to the new one? I'm assuming that you won't be able to. Unless this is why they're coming out with bigger Memory Units... which means you'd have to spend even *more*. How genius.

I was reading something about vista having ability to store content from the xbox hd, I could be wrong tho

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Speevy said:
Yeah, they would gimp a 2005 game to sell you a 2007 downloadable game for their next generation console...

By which I mean, Sony didn't go out of their way to prevent Tekken 5 from working on PS3 in order to force more sales of T5 DR, the way this article suggests that MS hasn't made Butcher Bay BC in favor of selling us a new version of the game.

Top Bottom