• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Escape From Butcher Bay...first downloadable Xbox game on 360?

Barnolde

Banned
AtomicShroom said:
Assuming this becomes reality, how would one go about transferring the data from his current hard drive to the new one? I'm assuming that you won't be able to. Unless this is why they're coming out with bigger Memory Units... which means you'd have to spend even *more*. How genius.

XSATA or bust. The memory units are an overpriced joke and to add salt to the wound, they do NOT support ANY BC games.

Fatghost said:
By which I mean, Sony didn't go out of their way to prevent Tekken 5 from working on PS3 in order to force more sales of T5 DR, the way this article suggests that MS hasn't made Butcher Bay BC in favor of selling us a new version of the game.

Well unless MS really wants to piss off its BC userbase (who is on the edge of firebombing Redmond every time there's an update and PDO isn't on there), than disc or download is the way it should be. I'm just guessing that Riddick took more time to emulate and by March when the annual spring update hits, it should be BC via disc as usual or downloadable on XBLM.

bengraven

Seriously, what other ways? It can't be on the Darkness disc, seeing as how it's two different IPs (unless it's cut to pieces and **** that). It's probably not going to be downloadable content. What form?

Include it on a bonus disc for The Darkness? Put it on a memory card? Download it from Windows ****ing Vista onto your 360?

JUST MAKE IT BC, DICKS.
unless you're enhancing the graphics and adding the PC sections, for which I will love you forever Starbreeze

EDIT: This post brought to you by Anger and Insomnia. Enjoy some Anger and Insomnia today!

Sean

Banned
White Man said:
It can't possibly be downloadable. The game is probably like 5 gigs.

Why not?

Superman Returns on the XBL video marketplace is over 7 gigs I believe. I guess it's not exactly the same situation (since its a movie rental and would only be stored on the HDD temporarily) but still...

Dizzy

Banned
A remake would be excellent, having it come with The Darkness would also be great...but I heard that the developers were having trouble squeezing all of that game onto a DVD9 so it seems doubtful.

A download is unacceptable though IMO. I own the game already so why should I have to pay to play it on 360? I very much doubt that the download would be free either, and the current 360HDD is just too small to start having downloadable games of that size.

Bebpo

Banned
Sounds to me like it'll be included as a 2nd disc in the X360 version of the Darkness but what do I know...

BuG

8273864.gif

I don't know why but this made me chuckle more than it really should have.

White Man

Sean said:
Why not?

Superman Returns on the XBL video marketplace is over 7 gigs I believe. I guess it's not exactly the same situation (since its a movie rental and would only be stored on the HDD temporarily) but still...

Ugh, you're right. I forgot how shittily the video marketplace was being handled :(

squicken

How could this be bundled with The Darkness? Completely different publishers, and I doubt Starbreeze owns the IP rights to the game. My guess is the rumor is bunk, and we'll never see Riddick on the 360.

White Man

squicken said:
How could this be bundled with The Darkness? Completely different publishers, and I doubt Starbreeze owns the IP rights to the game. My guess is the rumor is bunk, and we'll never see Riddick on the 360.

This is what I'm thinking.

1) A new release would require dealing with licensing bullshit
2) Nobody would want to deal with the licensing bullshit on a dead franchise
3) Was the game even big enough of a seller to warrant interest in some sort of fancy pants re-release? I thought it was just a critical hit?

1945er

I don't see any scenario that is fair to the people who already own the game and are waiting to play it on their 360. To make it availible for people who don't own it is one (nice) thing, but holding back a BC patch is hard to justify.

MegaTen

Banned
Shit, if they're going this route, forget Riddick and give me downloadable versions of my Sega games, Breakdown, and Phantom Dust for free.

Does Starbreeze retain the rights to the Xbox Riddick game IP?

As it was published by Vivendi and The Darkness is being handled by Take 2 - I see no chance, that they could include the game as a bonus disc w/ The Darkness.

Unless Vivendi sold the license to 2k?

Big doubt for Riddick with The Darkness is that Darkness is PS3 as well, and i was the PS3 version that was touted as having more things with the TV's due to Blu-Ray.

Of course Riddick available to PS3 owners would be pretty amusing if it came about, but I wouldn't hold my breath...

well i downloaded the PC version from that online game store that IGN run whatever it's called. it didn't take too long... just for the record.

Speevy said:
How do you include a rom of a game that's at least a few GB on a game that is most likely utilizing most of the 360's 7.05 GB.

That makes absolutely no sense. It's like finding a copy of Mario 64 in Animal Crossing DS.

The difference being that Mario 64 and ACDS could actually fit on one DS card.

Safe Bet

Banned
VinZuku said:
From the new (March '07) issue of OXM:

"Wondering why The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay isn't backward-compatible with Xbox 360? There's a really good reason..."
Witholding backwards compatiblity from a game in order to generate more revenue from your user-base?

Haven't even read more than the first post before I replied, but damnit there better be some ****ing pissed people in this thread...

<-- reading thread

Edit: Cool, I wasn't the only one that thought it was lame...

This is what MS needs to do: Release the BC patch now, so that everyone who brought the game can play it for free!!!! Release the originial xbox games as a DLC for like $10, so that everyone who can't find the xbox game can still play it. And release enhancement packs for an additional $5 that will work with both the Disc and the DLC. This way, everyone will be happy. Consumers won't feel ripped off and MS won't look like a loser while making money from an old game. If they use this approach, I hope it applies to all BC games.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
there could be a possibility that they couldn't get BC to work with this game since it's such a graphic intensive game, making it hard to "emulate" on the 360 without some internal modifications to the code. Imagine if Microsoft launches a new tab called "Console Classics" and launches with a handful of Xbox games ($10-$15) along with some Sega Dreamcast games ($7 to $10)?? The kicker could be that if you own a retail copy of the Xbox game (like Riddick, for example) then your download would be free (or cheaper) but would require the disc to be present in order to play the game. For everyone else, it would be a nice opportunity to buy classic Xbox games that they missed out on the 1st go around. Microsoft could launch with Riddick, Halo, Fuzion Frenzy, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Conker's, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Sega GT, and Jet Grind Radio and follow it up with a steady stream of releases every month. Games like Sonic, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue and Ecco the Dolphin from Dreamcast could launch as well.

So imagine a service for publishers of Dreamcast and Xbox games that will allow them to sell another 10k to 100k+ of their catalog games for little to no additional costs. More importantly, it can get gamers hooked so any sequels that release have a wider potential customer base. They can probably compress most games to a range of 200 MB ---> 2 Gigs max.

-Xbox 360 Demos
-Xbox Live Arcade
-Console Classics

open_mouth_ said:
there could be a possibility that they couldn't get BC to work with this game since it's such a graphic intensive game, making it hard to "emulate" on the 360 without some internal modifications to the code. Imagine if Microsoft launches a new tab called "Console Classics" and launches with a handful of Xbox games ($10-$15) along with some Sega Dreamcast games ($7 to $10)?? The kicker could be that if you own a retail copy of the Xbox game (like Riddick, for example) then your download would be free (or cheaper) but would require the disc to be present in order to play the game. For everyone else, it would be a nice opportunity to buy classic Xbox games that they missed out on the 1st go around. Microsoft could launch with Riddick, Halo, Fuzion Frenzy, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Conker's, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Sega GT, and Jet Grind Radio and follow it up with a steady stream of releases every month. Games like Sonic, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue and Ecco the Dolphin from Dreamcast could launch as well.

So imagine a service for publishers of Dreamcast and Xbox games that will allow them to sell another 10k to 100k+ of their catalog games for little to no additional costs. More importantly, it can get gamers hooked so any sequels that release have a wider potential customer base.

-Xbox 360 Demos
-Xbox Live Arcade
-Classic Console Gems (Xbox + Dreamcast)

Nice idea and the emulator definitely bypass codes on the disc. However, I rather keep my games on disc rather than have them as downloads on a peewee harddrive. I can see the nightmare of wanting to play through 3 games, and having to download them everytime I want to switch games. And yes, if you have the game on disc, it should definitely be free!!! Buying a game should not be like a subscription where you have to keep paying in order to play.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
TheJesusFactor said:
Nice idea and the emulator definitely bypass codes on the disc. However, I rather keep my games on disc rather than have them as downloads on a peewee harddrive. I can see the nightmare of wanting to play through 3 games, and having to download them everytime I want to switch games. And yes, if you have the game on disc, it should definitely be free!!! Buying a game should not be like a subscription where you have to keep paying in order to play.

that's where the 100+ gig HD's come in :D I would not be surprised at all to hear these announcemented in Q1 '07... rolling thunder continues....

PnCIa

If they would release an updated version with some better graphics and maybe some new content I would buy it...Riddick is one of the the best and most overlooked games ever :)

jarrod

Banned
open_mouth_ said:

So imagine a service for publishers of Dreamcast and Xbox games that will allow them to sell another 10k to 100k+ of their catalog games for little to no additional costs. More importantly, it can get gamers hooked so any sequels that release have a wider potential customer base. They can probably compress most games to a range of 200 MB ---> 2 Gigs max.

-Xbox 360 Demos
-Xbox Live Arcade
-Console Classics
I came.

Orodreth

That Console classics, similar to what sony is doing with ps3 right?, would be great not only for those games imposible to find nowadays but also because i´m starting to get worried about the dvd drive and it would be a much more confortable way to play them, just like XBLA.

It would even allow to add achievements and all the Live features.

Busty

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Is Starbreeze large enough to be handling two projects, even as core team members move on to the next title?

I thought that they were working on two projects at the same time? I thought that now the bulk of the work has been done on The Darkness and so they were doing a game for Sierra/Vivendi Universal and developing another game that they haven't officially announced yet.

eshwaaz said:
I totally agree. I really wish Starbreeze was working on a Riddick sequel instead of The Darkness. It may turn out really well, but I just don't find the character or premise very appealing.

I wouldn't be surprised if the game they were doing for Sierra/Universal was a sequel to Riddick.

I heard ages ago that Vin Diesel wanted Universal to capitialise on the success of Butcher Bay on the Xbox more instead of letting the franchise fade away.

Maybe they're giving the IP another go?

pswii60

Busty said:
I heard ages ago that Vin Diesel wanted Universal to capitialise on the success of Butcher Bay on the Xbox more instead of letting the franchise fade away.

Maybe they're giving the IP another go?

I don't thin Vin Diesel has much of a say in anything.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
steve-ballmer.jpg

Compression, compression, compression... compression... compression, compression!!

Teehee.

GameGamer

I'm going to have to guess that the lead character will be replaced with "The Sneak King" and will be sold at BK's everywhere.

3 million in sales confirmed!

PnCIa said:
If they would release an updated version with some better graphics and maybe some new content I would buy it...Riddick is one of the the best and most overlooked games ever :)

They could do this and I'm sure there will be demand for it, but if that is the case, then it is just a remake. If it was a remake, it is different from the BC issue. So reguardless of what new things they add to the game, the original xbox game still needs to be BC on Xbox360 for free. Thing thing that benefits MS is that all the effort that went into making these games BC will actually generate new revenue for them by allow the consumers to add new contents at a price. Basically don't charge owners for the same game again, but charge for new content.

tiddles

Chronicles of Riddick will be presented to 360 owners in the shape of a shiny turd sculpted to resemble the features of Vin Diesel.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
f@luS said:
impossible

HDD make it impossible

you know the bigger HD is coming eventually and you know that MS has already released demos and movies that range from 1 gig to 7 gigs, so why make a post like this?

If Microsoft wants to play it aggressive and snatch up the west, they can hold a press event in April to announce or show off the following:

1. New add-on HD 100+ gigs for $99. Price Drop on 20 gig to $69. Includes a USB utility to transfer data between drives.
2. Price drop on Premium to $369 (still comes with 20 gig). Core remains at $299.
3. A new Music tab for Xbox Live and for Windows XP + Vista. 99 cent songs transferable to PC/360 and onto mp3/wma portable players
4. A new "Console Classics" tab for downloadable Xbox + possibly other console games
5. near-final or final playable builds of Forza, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Shadowrun, Half-Life 2, Blue Dragon, Too Human, Darkness, Army of Two, Assassin's Creed, and Virtua Fighter 5
6. sneak peaks of Ninja Gaiden 2, Banjo, PGR4, Halo 3, Lost Odyssey, GTA IV and Madden.

Rolling Thunder, baby :D

BlazeDSM

They'll release a bigger HD w/Riddick preloaded and capitalize on those two subjects that they don't have. How nice would that be.

Top Bottom