• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The McElroy Brothers |OT| The funniest family on the internet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
For those who aren't familiar, the McElroy's are a hilarious family who create a bunch of top-tier podcasts & YouTube videos. If you haven't heard of them, I encourage you to give a few of these a try - I'm sure a lot of you will love this stuff as much as I do.

Podcasts

My_Brother,_My_Brother_and_Me_logo.jpg

My Brother, My Brother & Me - a weekly comedy advice podcast hosted by brothers Justin, Travis, and Griffin McElroy. The podcast features the brothers humorously providing answers to questions either submitted by listeners or found on the Yahoo! Answers service. A must-listen!

The Adventure Zone - Justin, Travis and Griffin McElroy have recruited their dad Clint for a campaign of high adventure. Join the McElroys as they find their fortune and slay an unconscionable number of ... you know, kobolds or whatever in ... The Adventure Zone. The best DnD podcast by a country mile!

Sawbones - Dr. Sydnee McElroy and her husband Justin welcome you to Sawbones: A Marital Tour of Misguided Medicine. Every Friday, they dig through the annals of medical history to uncover all the odd, weird, wrong, dumb and just gross ways we've tried to fix people over the years. Educational? You bet! Fun? We hope!

Still Buffering - Join real-life sisters Sydnee McElroy and Rileigh Smirl as they help bridge the gap between the teenagers of yesterday and today. "How do you party?" "What do I do with all this hair?" Still Buffering has the answer."

CoolGames Inc - Here's the pitch: each Friday, Griffin and I take your one-line ideas for video games turn one of them into a full-blown, idiotic design doc, all before bringing on a special guest to evaluate our work. It's stupid, but it's a lot of fun, and we think you'll enjoy it.

Monster Factory

Monster Factory is a video series by Justin & Griffin in which they mess with character creation tools of video games til amazing comedy comes out.

Monster Factory Playlist

Check out their Black Desert Online & Dragon's Dogma episodes ASAP! They're well-loved for a reason.

Griffin's Amiibo Corner

Griffin's Amiibo Corner - As hilarious as this is, I feel like you need to check out a little bit of Griffin's other material first to contrast what he's going for here.

I cannot tell you how many hours of laughter I owe to the McElroys. I've listened to every episode of MBMBaM (most of them at least twice) and tons of their other projects.

I know they've been building a steady following over the years but they've gotten some really big plugs lately, I'm so happy for them.

Also, this thread inspired to me rewatch the Black Desert Online Monster Factory for like the 5th time.

SilentRob

For years I thought that Griffin's voice belongs to Justin and vice versa, so I kind of built a huge narrative in my head around the fact that Griffin, the nerdy, skinny dude co-founded Polygon and helped his little, chubby brother into a position as news editor some time later, while also keeping his humor. Justin, meanwhile, while also very funny, continued to feed on the outgoing personality of his older (actually younger) brother Griffin, without ever actually reaching the spotlight, to forever stand in his multi-talented brothers shadow.

I then realized the last two years of my life were built upon a foundation of lies and nothing has ever been the same.

Seriously, I can't even deal with what I considered for years to be Justin's voice coming out of Griffin's face. It's just not right and I would like them to consider voicing each other's lines in the future just for my sake.

Got into MBMBaM over the winter break, and it's been a binging hole ever since. Can't think of the last time a show has made me double over in laughter so consistently.

Also worth noting is Cool Games Inc, Griffin's comedy podcast with Nick Robinson where they turn game suggestions from Twitter into fleshed out prototypes of games/blackmail schemes/dating sims.

how many kirbies could griffin fit in his mouth

Qblivion

I've only seen a little bit of their stuff, but I found both funny and off putting at the same time. The jokes are good, but they are pretty loud and intense in a way I don't care for.

W1SSY

The Adventure Zone is only getting better as they add more production. Also like MBMBaM when I listen to it.

The text to speech function jokes that were being made in ep. 287 (Glistening Fishlifters) of MBMBaM had me laughing for a while.

Also, the McElroy brothers started to do a podcast that they release every thanksgiving in which they watch Paul Blart 2 and discuss it with two other dudes. It's "Til Death do us Blart" and it's actually pretty funny imo considering i'm not into these type of "bad movie review/discussion" shows. There's only one episode of it up right now though.

Brakke

Banned
Yep, they're great. I listen to MBMBaM, Adventure Zone, and Saw Bones every week. The show with the kid sister, Still Buffering, is cute.

Saw them do MBMBaM live in Seattle last year.

TraBuch

Banned
Why has it taken so long for there to be a McElroy OT?

The Adventure Zone is only getting better as they add more production. Also like MBMBaM when I listen to it.
Agreed. All the effects Griffin's been adding have been fantastic. Couldn't stop laughing when he started doing Pan's voice when Merle was calling for him.

Noaloha

For anyone who didn't research Travis's cinema fever dream and the internet-at-large's photoshopped hoaxing supporting his fiction,

And the amazing Dewie one,

I lost it last night at "Now it's time for this quick brown fox to jump into my lazy mouth."

There's a number of Griffin/Justin video game quicklooks (polygon call them 'overviews') that I suspect go under the radar for a lot of fans. At some point, Justin tried to maintain a playlist on his YT (his YT channel notably also being the home of his seminal HIT youtube saga, Things I Bought At Sheetz).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfH4HJ9AAqVTawGv6LUkEf_hBTcvOLhKi

A handful of the quicklooks are fairly professional, standard vg press stuff, but then a lot of them are glorious comedy routines.

Personal highlights, I'd recommend Catlateral Damage, Titan Souls, the two Rust videos and Tabletop Simulator.

My friend hipped them to me in the early days of MBMBAM. I've not missed a single episode. The one thing to guarantee a laugh consistently.

Risible

That's so weird! I just started listening to MBMBaM earlier this week and now this pops up. I've only heard about 4 episodes so far but I love it. They truly make me laugh. Some real absurd humor at times.

Ekai

Whenever I think of the McElroy brothers I think of Justin's laughably bad review of Nier that proved he didn't know how to use a mini-map or even read basic game directions that the game literally tells him right to his face.

That said, Monster Factory is fun stuff.

jmood88

I don't think that any podcast has consistently made me laugh out loud as much as MBMBaM. I almost suffocated from laughing so hard during the old man banking bit Griffin did a couple weeks ago.

Did anyone catch the fact that Lin Manuel Miranda slipped a MBMBAM reference into the Hamilton performance at the Grammys? I guess I wasn't up on the GREATJOB reference, but apparently lots of people caught it and Lin himself confirmed it.

Huh, I had first tried MBMBAM last year and didnt like it all, but decided to listening again thanks to this thread and I'm really enjoying it now.

MBMBAM and Adventure Zone are my two greatest sources of joy in a given week. I like CoolGames Inc., but it's VERY inside baseball about the games industry.

McElroys have gotten me into Hamilton and The Flop House recently, and I regret neither. TFH takes a little more time to get into than MBMBAM did, and it helps that I've followed movie sites and twitter for years because it can get pretty obscure in its references.

BTails

I used to listen to the Joystiq podcast way back when, which featured Justin McElroy (and his brother Griffin from time to time). That led me to My Brother, My Brother and Me back when it premiered.

Haven't listened in a couple years, but these guys are great.

thebeeks

Banned
Did anyone catch the fact that Lin Manuel Miranda slipped a MBMBAM reference into the Hamilton performance at the Grammys? I guess I wasn't up on the GREATJOB reference, but apparently lots of people caught it and Lin himself confirmed it.

There was? Oh man, is the footage on Youtube? I didn't catch anything in the clip I was watching, but it might have cut out too early.

Noaloha

The Great job! beep beep motion was really subtle from what I saw, still a hilarious in-joke though. I think Lin mentioned prior to the show that fans should watch out for it. I'm on my phone otherwise I'd try and find the gif which was floating about.

Emarv

Love the brothers. Less interested in Travis' offshoots but enjoy most of the rest of their content. MBMBAM still the king.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom