• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Adventure Zone is the greatest gaming podcast

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
tumblr_static_9msysolo90088k8ss8g8g4oco.png

There are a lot of terrific games-related podcasts out there, but none that has grabbed the love & attention of my friends and I quite like The Adventure Zone.

This is not a promotional thing - I make this thread only because TAZ brings me so much joy and I genuinely think a lot of GAF will love it as much as I do.

So... what is it?

The Adventure Zone is a podcast where 3 brothers and their father (whom you may know from YT series' like Monster Factory) play a Dungeons & Dragons campaign.

The youngest brother, Griffin, is the DM who starts from a classic D&D scenario and turns the show into a series of wonderfully captivating arcs - a murder mystery on a train, a high octane race, and so much more. They are approaching the end of the campaign now, and it really seems like they are sticking this landing.

Why do I love it?

-The cast - both the brothers & the NPCs - are charming, likable and hilarious.
-The production - tight editing and originally composed music really elevate the show.
-The stories - while the DM sets the stage and is spinning a long-form story, the players come up with inventive, hilarious and awesome tales within the world.
-The world building - bright, fun and interesting world building grabs you and compels you through the story

So give it a shot! Start from Episode 1.5 (it's a trimmed down version of the character creation process + intro story) and go from there. I think you'll really love it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I love Tabletop Escapades (and vastly enjoyed Tabletop Adventures before) from Easy Allies, but an hour per week isn't nearly enough. Will definitely check this one out, thanks!

TraBuch

Banned
I love Tabletop Escapades (and vastly enjoyed Tabletop Adventures before) from Easy Allies, but an hour per week isn't nearly enough. Will definitely check this one out, thanks!

Well, this one's only about 70-80 minutes every two weeks.

jon bones

is this the mcelroy brothers? GAF seems to be in love with them but mbmbam isn't hilarious for me in the slightest.

This is really different from MBMBAM - it's focused, tightly edited and (after the first few episodes) they are mostly just playing their (very likable) characters.

I have friends who dislike MBMBAM and absolutely love TAZ.

To date my greatest contribution to society is being the name inspiration for a TAZ character (I'm Luca the talking skeleton)

Wow! A real life skeleton celebrity 💀!

Consider me very jealous

TraBuch

Banned
But the backlog is long enough for this to not be a problem for a while!

Unfortunately, it's so good that you'll end up listening to everything in a couple weeks and then you'll be like all of us and be restlessly waiting for every other Thursday :(

ryushe

What the hell. I have a pretty big backlog but since I've dropped the Bombcast, I have a slot available.

oh and I also didn't love MBMBAM, so let's see how this goes.

jon bones

i enjoyed the Wonderland arc once i listened to it straight through now. it suffered because they had babies in the middle and there was only 1 episode a month for a while.

and that moment at the end when they all 3 work together to help Magnus... top 3 moment in the series.

What the hell. I have a pretty big backlog but since I've dropped the Bombcast, I have a slot available.

oh and I also didn't love MBMBAM, so let's see how this goes.

Sounds interesting! I'll definitely check this out.

awesome, let us know what you think

i think if you're a fan of comics you'll enjoy it - the arcs feel like graphic novels

Haunted

The latest two arcs were so bad I've stopped listening, but The Adventure Zone has a special place in my heart - they provided some of the best DnD podcasting I've ever listened to, so they'll always get kudos for that.

Maybe if people say the arc after The Stolen Century is good again I'll come back.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Tried to enjoy MBMBAM but I just found it kind of boring. But I've realized I rarely consider comedy podcasts to actually be funny.

This seems to be something very different though, so I'm gonna give it a shot!

NewGame

Banned
It's a loose and funky D&D game, sadly as the series progresses the GM goes full choo-choo rail road mode and eschews 5e for some really lite and fluffy FATE system.

It's the problem of public D&D games, you can't kill favourite characters or dramatically change expectations or else stink will be kicked. He even does the sin of having characters go back to the past which gives them even more plot armour and the only stakes on the table is "will Merle use a character voice??!! Find out next time on..."

Still, as far as D&D podcasts go it's really well designed with sound/editing so it's nice to listen to while driving or whatever.

My most loved Podcast. The McElroys are great entertainment in this. Don't worry too much about the rules or technicalities. Just buckle in and enjoy the ride.

Top Bottom