• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The McElroy Brothers |OT| The funniest family on the internet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like Wonderful. It’s real cute and doesn’t go on for too long. I haven’t laughed that much at it but I enjoy listening to it all the same.

BTA

I like Wonderful, but I'm a couple episodes behind at this point. It's fun and relaxing but not quite as funny as Rose Buddies was, though that'll probably depend on the topic.

The best part of TAZ was when it was just four people who didn't know how to play D&D playing D&D.

They kinda want to have it both ways with this walkabout phase of the game. Oh hey we're not going too in detail with our characters for this bit which will only last a few months at most...but let's spend an episode doing just that. Just go in sight unseen with no grandiose title and have fun.

This. I'm also starting to notice that he's real quite the control freak on every show that's not MBMBAM.

The only reason they could jump into the original campaign so fast was that they started doing a premade adventure with largely premade characters. They have to do more character creation and actually worldbuild this time around. I feel like it's not really a part of starting a game that you can easily skip if there's not resources out there for it? I do wish they'd just dropped the first gameplay episode the same day as this though.

But they're never going to just stumble into things again, at least not the same level as Balance. Aspects of doing that bit them in the ass by the time the campaign ended, and as much as I'm sure they're going to goof around still, they have to take the experimental arcs seriously from a creation/production/whatever side of things if they want to continue them later without the issues Balance had. There was some indication we might get actual oneshots with new games that aren't meant to be campaigns, so hopefully we do get some more chaotic episodes where they can just play Fiasco or something and not have to care about where things go long term.

I did notice Griffin seemed to direct the conversation more than I expected so I'm sorta wondering if he's maintaining a production role even if he's not GMing. Or maybe they just asked him to do this while they transition to other GMs. Hmm.

Mr. F

Banned
This. I'm also starting to notice that he's real quite the control freak on every show that's not MBMBAM.

Hard to put my finger on it but in general he's not doing it for me the way he used to. He definitely has a formula and sticks with it, and sometimes depending on the episode of a given show it even kind of sounds like he's on autopilot. I totally chalk it up to consuming way too much McElroy content over the years but there's time and again where I wonder if they're spread too thin for their own good.

Re; control freakness It was really off-putting the more the TAZ ep went on. Kind of had an air of arrogance in what should otherwise be something light and freeform, especially if it's "low stakes" by being an inter-season campaign. Those tendencies exist in Wonderful too where he'll kind of hijack Rachel's talking point and go off on his own tear for a bit.

The only reason they could jump into the original campaign so fast was that they started doing a premade adventure with largely premade characters. They have to do more character creation and actually worldbuild this time around. I feel like it's not really a part of starting a game that you can easily skip if there's not resources out there for it? I do wish they'd just dropped the first gameplay episode the same day as this though.

This would have been really good, feels like a missed opportunity that they didn't because it was a real slog to get through (at least personally). I'm still in though, looking forward to seeing what a game run by papa McElroy feels like as Griffin's campaign lost me after a while (assuming Griffin lets up on backseat driving).

Nose Master

Wonderful is meh. Pretty aimless. I understand the goal, but it's not really working. The tangents about nerdy child Griffin are the only bits that sound natural. The rest is "uhhhh, man I got this clif bar on my desk, stuff is good man."

Taz might be okay. I'm more interested in how Clint sets up the conflict that the characters, tbh. All three characters are pretty boring.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
and I think Justin's character miiiiight end up being shaky despite the research,

He's honestly just setting himself up for failure here. He's made a character admittedly based on Inuit mythology and has gone to the extent of speaking to Inuit cultural sensitivity folks, yet at the same time the character and her god are not explicitly Inuit in canon? Because somehow that would be cultural appropriation, to have an Inuit character who is inhabited by an Inuit god? Come on.

Somebody will still end up mad and at the end of the day you may have pleased no one because of the extent you went to try to make everyone happy.

Lexad

He's honestly just setting himself up for failure here. He's made a character admittedly based on Inuit mythology and has gone to the extent of speaking to Inuit cultural sensitivity folks, yet at the same time the character and her god are not explicitly Inuit in canon? Because somehow that would be cultural appropriation, to have an Inuit character who is inhabited by an Inuit god? Come on.

Somebody will still end up mad and at the end of the day you may have pleased no one because of the extent you went to try to make everyone happy.

Still not sure how science makes a god of any kind inhabit your body.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a lot less concerned about Clint's GMing after this first ep, I thought he did a good job, and liked his voices.

Though, re: the ending of the episode, did
they mention in the world building episode that people didn't know that they were going to get super powers? I didn't think that was going to be a surprise. Still cool though.

Justin, of course, is killing it with the character voice.

Nose Master

Pretty meandering episode, but I mostly blame the brothers. Every other sentence they plotblocked clint being dicks about whatever he was trying to accomplish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom