• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I finally caught up with the Verge review on the ATV 4K.
The whole SDR to faux-HDR conversion is nuts.

The good news is Apple told me it’s continuing to refine the processing it’s doing with the goal of making HD SDR content look normal, and the Apple TV gets regular software updates, so it’s not an empty promise. But right now, if you just want to pass along an unmolested HD video feed, you’ll have to change the output settings of the entire system.

Just... pass it the original signal... untouched, please don't try to make it work with more processing to turn the faux-HDR back to SDR.

My TV is calibrated for SDR and separately calibrated for HDR.
It can't work like this.

Passing on this for now.

Guess Who

Banned
I finally caught up with the Verge review on the ATV 4K.
The whole SDR to faux-HDR conversion is nuts.

Just... pass it the original signal... untouched, please don't try to make it work with more processing to turn the faux-HDR back to SDR.

Passing on this for now.

It's dumb as hell that Apple won't just change video modes to match the content being displayed becuase, idk, "we don't want people's screens to flash for a second." Having fucked up colors and 3:2 pulldown is totally fine though, I guess.

golem

It's dumb as hell that Apple won't just change video modes to match the content being displayed becuase, idk, "we don't want people's screens to flash for a second." Having fucked up colors and 3:2 pulldown is totally fine though, I guess.
It is stupid and should be optional but if they get it right it would be nice, i hate the mode switch

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The SDR to HDR switch is seamless on my TV at least.
The only flash is the burst of light from the HDR brightness kicking in with all it's glory.

So just so I understand, “mode switching” in this context is adjusting the output to whatever the source file is playing, correct? So 1080pSDR, 4KSDR, 4KHDR, and all the frame rates in between yes? And right now the Apple TV outputs 4KHDR no matter what (if you select that as your output option)?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So just so I understand, “mode switching” in this context is adjusting the output to whatever the source file is playing, correct? So 1080pSDR, 4KSDR, 4KHDR, and all the frame rates in between yes? And right now the Apple TV outputs 4KHDR no matter what (if you select that as your output option)?

Correct.
And your TV has all sorts of very specified settings and internal processing associated with being fed an HDR signal.

You cannot simply convert this back to SDR. And it's redundant to do so when you can just use the original SDR signal present.

DKRINO9W0AAqaSt.jpg:large

iphone 8 design is getting slept on tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1KRDYZIOaw&feature=youtu.be

Oh look he says the design is the same as last years too. Needs to go see a optician.

Interesting. I've never seen this tech, how does HDR content look?

I was impressed with the vibrancy of colors in John Wick, especially given that, like I said, no local dimming. In order to create the HDR effect in addition to the wide color blacks were crushed a bit to make the darkness see, “darker,” and while this may bug visual perfectionists, and did bug me in certain scenes, I still feel like it’s the better way to watch these movies on an iPad

Pepiope

The back of the iPhone looks much better, but the front.... Not so much. That's why I went with a bumper. Show off the sexy.

Yeah I'm not sure what he isn't seeing. It's the exact same design with glass, I can barely even tell that's a silver iPhone 8 in the image.

It actually is the same design but with a glass back this time.

Sarcasm folks. Read page 16/17 of this thread where someone was accusing me of being blind and go look up the word design because I dared say what everyone else is thinking. It's the same design for the last four years.

The phone itself is a beast. I'm not denying that. But sometimes you get sick and tired of seeing the same thing after four years, so thank fuck Apple released the x this year.

The only thing I'm interested about the 8 is how it performs in a droptest. Will give some idea on how a x would perform too as they use the same glass.

how do i put ios 11 on a samsung s8?

How do I mod the iPhone4s to have better hardware and bigger screen?

why are they still using the iphone 6 design?

SaintR

Is it a good idea to pre-sign? Got the link from apple (even though I click on it and it says website down)

I'm having the phone shopped tomorrow to my mom's house and she's now telling me that she won't be there in the afternoon. Wondering if it's worth the risk to pre-sign the package and have the UPS guy leave the box at the door. Probably not the best idea now that I type it out lol.

Maximus.

Apple watch question.

I'm not a watch wearing person. I wear them every once in a blue moon. What added accessibility and functionality are you getting from your apple watch? I'm a tech guy so the watch has always interested me but I'm just unsure of what the product will actually add to my daily activities.

It is a complete luxury. I can't justify it and have tried multiple times. It adds some small conveniences and the athletic tracking is okay. Needs to do much more to be worth it or be much cheaper.

I kinda wanna list the differences:

Oled vs LCD
Body design
Face ID vs Touch ID

...I'm sure Im missing stuff

I may be wrong but I think the only things that are the same are the internals. Everything else including the software has been changed/upgraded to some extent.

Rbk_3

Do Canadian Carrier phones ship directly from China too?

Says my tracking number is valid but zero updates

Draper

I may be wrong but I think the only things that are the same are the internals. Everything else including the software has been changed/upgraded to some extent.

Are the cameras the same?

They really should've offered something OS-wise that takes advantage of the new design- split screen or something

killroy87

Haha, I feel like I'm a crazy person for being genuinely stoked for the 8. Maybe it's cuz I'm not coming from the 7, I could see why that's much less appealing.

Pepiope

Haha, I feel like I'm a crazy person for being genuinely stoked for the 8. Maybe it's cuz I'm not coming from the 7, I could see why that's much less appealing.
I just wanted to like the 10, but I hate both Iris and facial recognition on the Galaxy. It works well, but it's just more work than a fingerprint, and the aspect ratio... Sure I want the extra screen, but not if it means I'm cutting off part of whatever I'm watching. This aspect ratio seems like it's the future though. It's amazing to browse the web. So maybe 1 or 2 years from now it'll be much better.

Going from a 6 Plus to a 8 Plus tomorrow. T Mobile shipped it to me without signature requirement. Going to have a $1000 phone chilling on my front door for several hours tomorrow and it kind of worries me.

Top Bottom