• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

btkadams

Do you live in the woods? I see them on tons of people every day. I see more people wearing apple watches than regular watches tbh.
This is true for me too. If someone’s wearing a watch, 75% of the time it’s an Apple Watch. It’s kind of bizarre. I feel like it started happening in the last year. Before then, I rarely saw one.

Voidance

I got charged on Monday and mine still hasn't shipped.
If you’re in the US, try tracking the shipment on UPS using the phone number associated with the order as a reference number (no country code needed).

Same deal for me — according to Apple, my order is preparing for shipment; however, my watch is in Louisville waiting to Thursday afternoon.

Quonny

If you’re in the US, try tracking the shipment on UPS using the phone number associated with the order as a reference number (no country code needed).

Same deal for me — according to Apple, my order is preparing for shipment; however, my watch is in Louisville waiting to Thursday afternoon.
damn apple y u gotta lie

Thanks.

Two Words

My iPhone still says preparing to ship. I tried using my phone number as a reference number on ups but it didn't work. I'm supposed to get it this Friday.

Just got to handle an 8 Plus. The glass is so fucking clean, and tacky and grippy, not slippery at all like the aluminum. No regulatory stuff on the back, so it just says “iPhone”. Every color looks gorgeous, especially the new gold.

Ya’ll 8 buyers are in for a treat

Just got to handle an 8 Plus. The glass is so fucking clean, and tacky and grippy, not slippery at all like the aluminum. No regulatory stuff on the back, so it just says “iPhone”. Every color looks gorgeous, especially the new gold.

Ya’ll 8 buyers are in for a treat
Ah fuck, I may end up getting one at this rate.

Vuze

Mine from Apple has been shipped as well, currently stuck in Czech 😞
Also for some reason they shipped with DHL Express and not UPS as usual. Bleh

And... TV reviews are out

The Verge review says that it tries to force and scale everything into HDR mode even if it's not native 4K HDR, making regular 1080p content look worse. That doesn't make any sense and none of the other reviews I've looked at mentioned it.

The Verge review says that it tries to force and scale everything into HDR mode even if it's not native 4K HDR, making regular 1080p content look worse. That doesn't make any sense and none of the other reviews I've looked at mentioned it.

Yeah just read that also. Think I'm really going to hold off on the Apple TV for now. That sounds really scary to me, heh.

Vuze

Hopefully, they put them over the coals for the price.
After checking prices, the 16GB Shield TV is 30€ more expensive than the 32GB ATV 4K so idk if the price is that out of whack. Obv I wish they just had replaced the 1080p TV at the same price but eh.

How is it only the Verge has deal-breaking problems with the new products? They can't possibly want to map SDR to HDR, from what I know, an accurate re-mapping just isn't possible.

E: After reading the whole review, this doesn't sound too hot. On the other hand, even the Shield TV can't do HDR YouTube and 4K only when it feels like it ever since Google gimped the YT app. Kinda blows my mind. Other services do 4K HDR without any problems whatsoever.
I'll still give it a shot. I'll be flabbergasted if the SDR/HDR situation turns out to be on purpose and not just a bug.

Blackhead

Redarse
How is it only the Verge has deal-breaking problems with the new products? They can't possibly want to map SDR to HDR, from what I know, an accurate re-mapping just isn't possible.
Not only The Verge had problems with the new Apple Watch (WSJ also noted their problems, other reviewers mentioned it in passing, Apple has admitted thr problems exist). For the Apple TV review Nilay leads off with:
I suspect most reviewers will focus on the interface, the TV app and the various content deals that populate it, and the bare fact that the Apple TV now supports 4K HDR playback. But I need to tell you about video format arcana, because Apple’s decisions around some very wonky specs directly influence what it’s like to use the new Apple TV 4K.

Put some tape on your glasses. This is going to be nerdy...
Only The Verge might have 'problems' because they are the only ones nerdy enough to understand the tech and care

gamz

Not only The Verge had problems with the new Apple Watch (WSJ also noted their problems, other reviewers mentioned it in passing, Apple has admitted thr problems exist). For the Apple TV review Nilay leads off with:

Only The Verge might have 'problems' because they are the only ones nerdy enough to understand the tech and care

Agreed. That was a a solid tech review.

Red

I’m glad the Verge has been tougher on Apple lately. This round of reviews is a more sensible appraisal of their current releases.

My wife’s 8plus just shipped, but I see no option on UPS to presign. The timing is weird, because I ordered my phone only a couple of hours after preorders went up. I ordered hers days later. Mine isn’t slated to arrive until the 26th. She’ll get hers tomorrow.

Tom's Guide review also touched on the upscaling but aren't as harsh. Just saying that the transition can be jarring. Might just be a love it or hate it thing.

This is stupid as hell... They better fix this via software.

I understand where they're coming from. Switching resolution, refresh rate, or to HDR causes TVs to frankly freak the heck out, and often result in HDMI handshake issues which require me to power cycle things, but the current solution is not the answer...

giga

I agree with Nilay about the HDR upconversion. That should not be the default, even if it's more janky with the blank screens and switching between non-HDR content. Native playback > software processing.

I don't get his criticism about Youtube and Disney though. Those aren't really in Apple's control and are their creator's respective decisions. Hopefully Google adds HEVC support like they did with H.264.

This is stupid as hell... They better fix this via software.

I understand where they're coming from. Switching resolution, refresh rate, or to HDR causes TVs to frankly freak the heck out, and often result in HDMI handshake issues which require me to power cycle things, but the current solution is not the answer...

If it is bad I might just turn HDR off when not watching HDR content until it's (hopefully) resolved in an update. Not like I have a plethora of HDR content.

ngower

My 6s stopped charging the other day. I'm taking it in for repairs today but if the repair is super expensive I might just sell it on ebay or something. Is there a way to back up stuff from my phone or at least delete it if I can't get a charge?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Apple TV just feels lukewarm - maybe it’s better in the US, but in the UK it still doesn’t have catchup services except iPlayer, and even that doesn’t support something basic like subtitles - surprised the BBC were even able to launch something without accessibility features like that.

I'm afraid to get an iphone x, or 8 this year because i think apple will make the 8s or 9 or whatever they call it have the all screen design of the X, and do away with the X, and change the design of the notch at the top. If not a year from now, maybe 2 years from now for sure.

Vuze

My 6s stopped charging the other day. I'm taking it in for repairs today but if the repair is super expensive I might just sell it on ebay or something. Is there a way to back up stuff from my phone or at least delete it if I can't get a charge?
If it’s already dead, not really. Otherwise iCloud back up, can be done without being plugged in. I think you can remotely erase it via Find my iPhone service but I’ve never done that before.

kaskade

I'm still going to keep my order for the ATV, if I don't end up liking it I'll just return it. I am glad that The Verge went into those negatives though, people who are buying it want a good picture quality when going for the 4k HDR box over a less expensive regular one. If they call Apple out on some silly decisions it could force them to address them in future updates.

I understand their desire to constantly keep the output since it keeps the experience looking smooth without blacking out the picture but if it's at the result of video quality (especially since a vast majority of content isn't 4k HDR right now) at least give us the option. Have a little pop up warning then. I'd rather a second or 2 of a black out rather than watch something that looks worse.

Can't wait for you guys to get yours in and give some impressions though since my estimated date is a week out still. I'm going to have to keep my old one connected and try and switch back and for to see if it really does look worse.

jediyoshi

I'm afraid to get an iphone x, or 8 this year because i think apple will make the 8s or 9 or whatever they call it have the all screen design of the X, and do away with the X, and change the design of the notch at the top. If not a year from now, maybe 2 years from now for sure.

Quoting for posterity.

This is why I got an 8 day one on the iUP. If they release something shit-hot a year from now, I'm ready to jump.

I honestly appreciate the Verge’s review, because not only did it shed light on problems, they also seemed like they constantly reached out to Apple about them, and Apple responded that it is aware of them and working on it. So that does give me a lot of confidence.

I’ll keep my preorder

Hopefully it’s just the battery as that’s just a $70 fee. Otherwise, see if the Genius can do anything to help you backup your iPhone. Seriously, if you ask, they’ll do their best to help you out.

I honestly appreciate the Verge’s review, because not only did it shed light on problems, they also seemed like they constantly reached out to Apple about them, and Apple responded that it is aware of them and working on it. So that does give me a lot of confidence.

I’ll keep my preorder

If anything, it made me glad that I didn't preorder. No Dolby Atmos/DTS:X support, no YouTube 4K and the mode switching are total dealbreakers. I'll stick with my regular 1080p Apple TV.

ngower

Hopefully it’s just the battery as that’s just a $70 fee. Otherwise, see if the Genius can do anything to help you backup your iPhone. Seriously, if you ask, they’ll do their best to help you out.

I am going to a third party today because Genius near me was booked through Wednesdays because of stupid ass launch stuff.

If anything, it made me glad that I didn't preorder. No Dolby Atmos/DTS:X support, no YouTube 4K and the mode switching are total dealbreakers. I'll stick with my regular 1080p Apple TV.

I can honestly only speak for myself and I will but:

I don’t at the moment even have a sound system, and when I get one it will be 5.1 so lack of Dolby Atmos for the moment doesn’t bother me, YouTube 4K is disappointing hopefully Apple can add in VP9 support, and I think mode switching will come eventually, probably sooner rather than later given the reaction to watching something as basic as HBO Go and having it look terrible

Actually it’s kind of bad since the AppleTV doesn’t support DTS at all, not even just DTS:X

jiiikoo

Banned

Youtube 4K doesn't bother me that much since I get that on my TV's own app, but I just can't understand why they don't have Atmos and DTS:X support. Are they really so expensive to license :/

ATT specific question:

I upgraded my wife from her SE to an 8 on the Next plan. I understand that I have to turn the SE in once I get the 8 delivered and activated. But I looked today and there's only $75 left owed on the SE.

Would it an issue if I just paid that off? In other words, would ATT care if I paid it off to own it instead of turning it in?

My plan would be to either keep it as a backup in case something happens to one of our phones or flip it on Swappa.

I don't know for sure if they'd let you do that, but would be really lame and stupid if they didn't. Call them and see, doesn't hurt to ask.

ATT specific question:

I upgraded my wife from her SE to an 8 on the Next plan. I understand that I have to turn the SE in once I get the 8 delivered and activated. But I looked today and there's only $75 left owed on the SE.

Would it an issue if I just paid that off? In other words, would ATT care if I paid it off to own it instead of turning it in?

My plan would be to either keep it as a backup in case something happens to one of our phones or flip it on Swappa.

ATT specific question:

AT&T don’t care, I’d say that’s a very valid option. Don’t turn in the phone when all you get out of it is the equivalent of forgiving $75, it’s worth more than that

Two Words

Looks like my iPhone will be arriving tomorrow. It says signature requires, but I don't expect to be home when it arrives. Do UPS drivers actually look for a signature when it says signature required, or am I gonna just have to hope nobody steals it?

Looks like my iPhone will be arriving tomorrow. It says signature requires, but I don't expect to be home when it arrives. Do UPS drivers actually look for a signature when it says signature required, or am I gonna just have to hope nobody steals it?

Depends on the driver in my experience. You can do pre-sign and leave the notice on your door I believe.

Oxn

Depends in which service they used

Sometimes my package gets left. Sometimes they bring it to an access point

Luckily im eorking from home tomorrow

Quonny

There's an option on your order page to pre-sign.

My UPS driver will require a signature on anything that looks even somewhat expensive, even if it's not marked to require a signature.

ZOONAMI

People with Apple Watches are all over the place. You don't really notice them because you're not really looking for them.

So you are wearing 2 smart watches and switching off between them, trying to judge which one gets you more compliments?

No, I just wear a variety of standard and smart watches, and it's the 360 that people seem to comment on. I can't make observations?

killroy87

I don't get his criticism about Youtube and Disney though. Those aren't really in Apple's control and are their creator's respective decisions. Hopefully Google adds HEVC support like they did with H.264.

It's a valid criticism. If other devices can somehow manage, then it is absolutely within Apple's control to negotiate the same deal. Asking a customer to pay upwards of double the price of similar boxes, and casually leave out the lack of support from the biggest film studio and online video platform in the world is a pretty valid criticism.

Someone finally uploaded some example camera videos from the iPhone 8+.

4K 60FPS: Self-grooming kitty.
4K 60FPS: Some dude playing basketball.
1080p 240FPS: More dude playing basketball.

The quality of the camera is amazing. I can't wait to get my iPhone 8+ tomorrow.

Would these be using any 8+ specific features? Or is it safe to say this will be indicative of the 8's camera quality as well?

Top Bottom