• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

giga

It's a valid criticism. If other devices can somehow manage, then it is absolutely within Apple's control to negotiate the same deal. Asking a customer to pay upwards of double the price of similar boxes, and casually leave out the lack of support from the biggest film studio and online video platform in the world is a pretty valid criticism.

Would these be using any 8+ specific features? Or is it safe to say this will be indicative of the 8's camera quality as well?
What other device has 4K Disney movies for $20? Pretty clear Disney isn’t going to accept that price and will eventually launch their own streaming service.

killroy87

What other device has 4K Disney movies for $20? Pretty clear Disney isn't going to accept that price and will eventually launch their own streaming service.

I meant Disney movies in 4K at all. People have been conditioned to pay a premium for Disney content since forever, but at least give them the option of getting the 4K Disney movie on the 4K device.

It has nothing to do with a streaming service, it has to do with Apple TV. Apple TV owners are likely invested in iTunes as a platform, and they've probably bought many Disney movies on there already. So not having those movies in 4K, while other platforms do, is a piss off. It isn't for the consumer to go "Oh, Disney wouldn't play nice with Apple? I understand, I'll figure out another way".

Does Apple TV/iTunes play Disney movies? Yup
Does Apple TV do 4K? Yup
Does Apple TV to Disney movies in 4K on iTunes? Nope!

That's annoying.

giga

I meant Disney movies in 4K at all. People have been conditioned to pay a premium for Disney content since forever, but at least give them the option of getting the 4K Disney movie on the 4K device.

It has nothing to do with a streaming service, it has to do with Apple TV. Apple TV owners are likely invested in iTunes as a platform, and they've probably bought many Disney movies on there already. So not having those movies in 4K, while other platforms do, is a piss off. It isn't for the consumer to go "Oh, Disney wouldn't play nice with Apple? I understand, I'll figure out another way".

Does Apple TV.iTunes play Disney movies? Yup
Does Apple TV do 4K? Yup
Does Apple TV to Disney movies in 4K on iTunes? Nope!

That's annoying.
So what do you when Disney won’t accept $20? Are you asking that Apple tell people who bought Disney on iTunes to pay again so they get 4K copies because Disney won’t give it to them for free like the other studios?

killroy87

So what do you when Disney won’t accept $20? Are you asking that Apple tell people who bought Disney on iTunes to pay again so they get 4K copies because Disney won’t give it to them for free like the other studios?

I'm asking Apple to figure it out, since the customers invested in their platform probably want 4K content from the biggest film studio on the planet. How they do that is up to them, I could give a fuck how it happens. They're one of the biggest companies in the world with very smart people working for them, I'm sure they can manage.

Me personally? I'm okay with paying a $5-10 upgrade fee for Disney/Star Wars/Marvel movies in 4K. That's just me, I won't speak for consumers at large.

giga

I'm asking Apple to figure it out, since the customers invested in their platform probably want 4K content from the biggest film studio on the planet. How they do that is up to them, I could give a fuck how it happens. They're one of the biggest companies in the world with very smart people working for them, I'm sure they can manage.

Me personally? I'm okay with paying a $5-10 upgrade fee for Disney/Star Wars/Marvel movies in 4K. That's just me, I won't speak for consumers at large.
I think it’s pretty clear to me that Disney wants you to pay $30 or wait for their streaming service.

kaskade

I think it’s pretty clear to me that Disney wants you to pay $30 or wait for their streaming service.

I kind of wonder if VUDU will follow with the 4K pricing? Upcharging 10 bucks for a movie isn’t the way to get people to adopt 4k hdr. Regardless of the shortcomings of the 4K Apple TV right now price parity is a win regardless. I’d imagine they’ll have to react at some point. I don’t know if people will like the idea of seeing a new release for 30 bucks vs 20 on the iTunes store.

ZOONAMI

I kind of wonder if VUDU will follow with the 4K pricing? Upcharging 10 bucks for a movie isn’t the way to get people to adopt 4k hdr. Regardless of the shortcomings of the 4K Apple TV right now price parity is a win regardless. I’d imagine they’ll have to react at some point. I don’t know if people will like the idea of seeing a new release for 30 bucks vs 20 on the iTunes store.

I honestly don't know why anyone is going the streaming route at all when 4k brs are regularly had for $20, or even less, and you usually get the vudu uhd stream with the purchase. Sometimes you even get the iTunes version. So why not have physical when it isn't any more expensive. If it's the old I can't be bothered to put in a disc, well, you get the stream anyway, and if you really wanted to you could rip the disc.

killroy87

I honestly don't know why anyone is going the streaming route at all when 4k brs are regularly had for $20, or even less, and you usually get the vudu uhd stream with the purchase.

Not in Canada, they aren't. iTunes movies are a genuine $10-15 savings on average. And movies like Kingsman have been on sale on iTunes for like $6. It will be a loooong time before 4K discs get like that.

Plus, I'm sick of shelves full of shit.

ZOONAMI

Not in Canada, they aren't. iTunes movies are a genuine $10-15 savings on average. And movies like Kingsman have been on sale on iTunes for like $6. It will be a loooong time before 4K discs get like that.

You can't still buy the regular HD versions right now though and have them upgraded for free right? It's already been rolled out?

Like I can't go buy a bunch of movies on sale on iTunes right now and have them upgraded?

Guess Who

Banned
You can't still buy the regular HD versions right now though and have them upgraded for free right? It's already been rolled out?

Like I can't go buy a bunch of movies on sale on iTunes right now and have them upgraded?

1080p and 4K movies are one combined purchase, full stop.

a916

Well buy better movies!!

(please don't hurt me)

Clipse

Picking up my silver aluminum watch tomorrow and I'm still on the fence about AppleCare+. If I decide to add it later does my watch need to be in mint condition when they inspect it?

Vuze

Picking up my silver aluminum watch tomorrow and I'm still on the fence about AppleCare+. If I decide to add it later does my watch need to be in mint condition when they inspect it?
No, they just do a software check, you can do it over the web

border

I've owned an Apple Watch for 2 years now.

I wouldn't bother with AppleCare. Is the screen going to get scratched? Yes. The scratches will only really be visible when the screen is off and under direct lighting though.

Unless that's going to drive you insane, then just save the $50.

giga

DKRINO9W0AAqaSt.jpg:large

iphone 8 design is getting slept on tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1KRDYZIOaw&feature=youtu.be

hwalker84

Apple watch question.

I'm not a watch wearing person. I wear them every once in a blue moon. What added accessibility and functionality are you getting from your apple watch? I'm a tech guy so the watch has always interested me but I'm just unsure of what the product will actually add to my daily activities.

Flo_Evans

Bleh had to get it delivered to my home address and no one is going to be there.

Risk the pre-sign??? people have been known to steal packages in my neighborhood.

Someone finally uploaded some example camera videos from the iPhone 8+.

4K 60FPS: Self-grooming kitty.
4K 60FPS: Some dude playing basketball.
1080p 240FPS: More dude playing basketball.

The quality of the camera is amazing. I can't wait to get my iPhone 8+ tomorrow.

not blowing my mind but they didn't even upload it in 4k! wtf.

killroy87

I don't know what you mean. To my knowledge, any movie you own that eventually gets a 4K upgrade will be upgraded. So if you see a movie on sale right now, that you think has potential to be upgraded, then yeah, pick it up!

Kingsman is currently $9.99 CAD on iTunes, and it's listed on the "4K HDR" sale page. So that's a 4K HDR copy of Kngsman for $9.99. Not too bad.

Vuze

Apple watch question.

I'm not a watch wearing person. I wear them every once in a blue moon. What added accessibility and functionality are you getting from your apple watch? I'm a tech guy so the watch has always interested me but I'm just unsure of what the product will actually add to my daily activities.
I use it as notification filter, diet tracker, workout / step tracker, for weather, loyalty cards, reminders, timers, playback control (great with BT headphones). I'd also use it with Apple Pay if that was a thing over here.

What's up with that geekbench score? Not that it would matter that much but didn't others show like 10k in multi?

Clipse

No, they just do a software check, you can do it over the web

I've owned an Apple Watch for 2 years now.

I wouldn't bother with AppleCare. Is the screen going to get scratched? Yes. The scratches will only really be visible when the screen is off and under direct lighting though.

Unless that's going to drive you insane, then just save the $50.

Thanks for the replies. Will hold off and decide if I really need it since it looks like I have 60 days from purchase to add it on.

jts

...hate me...
Apple watch question.

It's good for sports and for notifications. Want to sometimes not having to have your phone constantly glued to your hand or pocket around the house or work, and still not miss important stuff? Apple Watch helps with that.

Also good for being a watch (timer, alarm, chronometer functionalities) with customisable extra info at a single glance (weather, calendar, reminders, other timezones.

All wrapped up with Siri if you're into that.

giga

I use it as notification filter, diet tracker, workout / step tracker, for weather, loyalty cards, reminders, timers, playback control (great with BT headphones). I'd also use it with Apple Pay if that was a thing over here.

What's up with that geekbench score? Not that it would matter that much but didn't others show like 10k in multi?
One off scores can be like that. Best to look at the average on geekbench browser.

Vuze

Bad news for us European folks, we still have the regulation garbage on the back of the iPhone...
Seriously considering holding back the purchase until i can get a clean American one.
noooooooooooooooooooo

E: kinda deceiving they don’t show it on the homepage though, has that always been different from reality?
E2: I think iPhone 7 and 6s (didn’t check others) are representative since they have it on the back in store? But perhaps it’s just the US stock photos they are using. Where’s the image from?

Drey1082

This is true for me too. If someone's wearing a watch, 75% of the time it's an Apple Watch. It's kind of bizarre. I feel like it started happening in the last year. Before then, I rarely saw one.

In Chicago, they're absolutely everywhere. I'd guess about 50% of watches i see on the street. Apple has killed the low to mid-range watch (around $200 - $600). Poor Fossil.

Weird thing, i don't hear much about them though. No one really gushes about them, they just wear them.

Vuze

In Chicago, they're absolutely everywhere. I'd guess about 50% of watches i see on the street. Apple has killed the low to mid-range watch (around $200 - $600). Poor Fossil.
I got a fossil hybrid watch ad on YouTube today. A hand jumped to a certain hour to indicate the dude got a text from his father. 👏

Video of a guy who bought it in London
Bleh. Guess we’ll find out soon enough if all units for the European market are affected.

DOWN

Banned
Do you live in the woods? I see them on tons of people every day. I see more people wearing apple watches than regular watches tbh.
Same. I see more Apple Watches now than regular watches. Seems like most people do no watches, but of people who have been wearing watches I see more Apple watches.

killroy87

I gotta say, I was initially annoyed that Rose Gold went away, but I've grown fond of whatever this new "gold" color is even more so. It ain't gold, but it's sexy as hell.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Iphone X says hello

Yes...yes it does. Not entirely sure about the silver band, but it’ll probably polish out scratches better than the space grey X

I assume it’s best to avoid Apple stores tomorrow? Was considering popping in to get a feel for the 8.

killroy87

Yes...yes it does. Not entirely sure about the silver band, but it’ll probably polish out scratches better than the space grey X

I assume it’s best to avoid Apple stores tomorrow? Was considering popping in to get a feel for the 8.

Blech. Tomorrow would not be the day I'd choose to walk in for a casual check in, haha. Give it a few days.

Sanic

This is true for me too. If someone’s wearing a watch, 75% of the time it’s an Apple Watch. It’s kind of bizarre. I feel like it started happening in the last year. Before then, I rarely saw one.

Similar experience for me. They seemed to explode in popularity during the second half of 2016. What's strange is that nobody seems to be particularly infatuated with the watch, it's...just a thing they wear. No strong opinion one way or another. I'm not really sure what to make of that.

MercuryLS3

Similar experience for me. They seemed to explode in popularity during the second half of 2016. What's strange is that nobody seems to be particularly infatuated with the watch, it's...just a thing they wear. No strong opinion one way or another. I'm not really sure what to make of that.

yeah, it's sorta just there for me. i don't love it, i don't hate it. it's convenient sometimes.

marrec

Banned
I gotta say, I was initially annoyed that Rose Gold went away, but I've grown fond of whatever this new "gold" color is even more so. It ain't gold, but it's sexy as hell.

I wish they went with the more orangish gold we were seeing rumored but this blush gold is killer af too. Debating putting a cover on this, even a clear one lol.

Dany

Banned
Bad news for us European folks, we still have the regulation garbage on the back of the iPhone...
Seriously considering holding back the purchase until i can get a clean American one.

omg. the back of the iphone won't have that regulation crap in the states

#preordering now.

Top Bottom