• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waitress poured hot soup on me, restaurant did absolutely nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two Words

It was an accident
She apologized
You didn't press the issue

Not every accident leads to a free meal. Move on.

We're talking about spilled soup here. Why are you people going about this "move on", "get over it" business? I literally asked "should I have expected a free meal here?"

UraMallas

Yeah restaurant not doing anything about it is kinda dumb

I would have complained lmao

my ass cheap

are y'all white or middle-upper class?

honest question

edit: OP did she spill some of the soup or the whole thing?

if it was the whole thing then they def fucked up
Are you suggesting white middle class people aren't unhinged as fuck and ready to snap at every perceived slight? Because as a white middle class dude, I've seen some shit in that regard.

You've got to speak OR have someone speak up on your behalf!

I was in another state taking care of someone after their surgery. We went to a place for some dinner and the waiter spilled both a hot and cold beverage on my friend who had the surgery done. Normally I'd be forgiving of this, but #1 we mentioned the surgery first thing because of seating and small talk and #2 the waiter was less than apologetic about the whole deal.

Had my husband call them up states over, they promptly sent over chocolates, wine, and a GC as an apology. To this day, I have no idea what he said to those poor people, but wow.

Squeaky wheels get the grease

Or, if you wanted anything because of it, you should have bitched and moaned until they caved. Depends on how much shame you are willing to put on yourself

We're talking about spilled soup here. Why are you people going about this "move on", "get over it" business? I literally asked "should I have expected a free meal here?"

If you complained, maybe. But you said the magic words "no big deal" and basically absolved them of any need to recompense.

"I had some soup spilled on me, the server apologized and I didn't complain...why didn't I get a free meal?"

I don't know what you want us to tell you.

Jarrod38

Could have been worse.
2669_4.jpg

This is what you clearly cannot see:

You NEVER pressed the issue.

You DO NOT get a free meal for an accident

TigerKnee

So you all feel that apologizing is all a restaurant should do in a situation like this? And I don't see how I'm being a whiney baby when I didn't make an issue of the situation when it happened and I simply asked how others would feel about it.

What else do you want them to do?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Today was my last day at my internship, and a lot of us interns and other employees went out for lunch. A different waitress accidentally spilled some hot soup on me. It wasn't skin-burning hot or anything, but a bit painful. Plus, getting soup poured on your clothes obviously sucks. The waitress emphatically apologized, and I didn't make a big deal about it. I was going to be leaving for home soon, so I guess that was a good day for it to happen.

The restaurant didn't really do anything though. They charged me for my food, and even had the tip already baked into the bill. Many employees saw it, so I'm sure the management knew about it. It was only a $15 meal, so I wasn't going to make a fuss about it. I'm just surprised that the restaurant didn't acknowledge it at all.

To those that have had similar experiences or work/have worked in restaurants, should I have expected something like the meal being free?

This is why the restaurant did nothing, you didn't kick up a fuss for something that was their fault thus assumed that they didn't need to do anything since you didn't complain.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
9HScDqB.png

Unless you complained I am not surprised they didn't comp anything.
A drink on the house or something would have been nice huh.

Nowise10

Don't some bosses at companies plan these things with the restaurant to see how you react in frustrating/wrong situations.

I mean spilling hot soup is a little different from messing up your meal, but YOU NEVER KNOW.

*Although I just read OP again and you said last day, not first day. OOPS.

Two Words

For a lot of places it's about complaints.

They won't go the extra mile if you don't say anything, why would they?

People who complain a lot can get a bunch of stuff for free, not even kidding.

That's kinda sad when it is a situation that is a real issue. I don't complain a lot as a customer. Even in this situation, I knew she didn't mean to do it. A lot of the reason why I didn't make a big deal about it is because I didn't want to make it a bigger issue for her. I guess if I were running a restaurant and that happened to one of my customers, I'd feel like it would be important to address it in some way. The problem with the whole "squeaky wheel gets the grease" thing is that it encourages people to be bitchy. When I worked in retail, I always wanted to help reasonable customers out the most and let the bitchy customers bitch.

Atlantis

Businesses give out free items or comp checks because they're trying to make upset customers happy, they're not doing it to be nice.

You didn't complain so they let it be.

zeemumu

What is with this "get over it" stuff? Can't a person ask a question without being obsessed about it? I never get why people feel the need to paint the OP in such a bad light for no good reason.

You said it was no big deal but you having enough concern to make a thread about it makes that come off as insincere

I'm with you OP

they should have paid for something

I know accidents happen but getting shit spilled on you sucks.. gotta go home and change your clothes depending on how bad it is

MIMIC

Banned
This seems like a shitty restaurant. I would have expected the restaurant to at LEAST offer to pay for the meal, even without pressure or a complaint from the customer.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Unless something was ruined on your end.... I don't see why it warrants anything else other than a sorry. Which you got.

Nekrono

Lots of people being too harsh on OP, he said he didn't do a big fuss about it and moved on, he did not get angry or demanded anything from the restaurant.

Now, having said that, the proper thing to do would have been to have the supervisor or manager apologize in behalf of the waitress (even after she did) and offer a courtesy meal or something.

OP could have refused stating it was an accident or chosen to take it, etc, but having the restaurant's manager/sup not acknowledge the mistake at the very least is very telling of how they care for their customers, in this case... extremely poor.

eosos

Banned
This is what you clearly cannot see:

You NEVER pressed the issue.

You DO NOT get a free meal for an accident
Lmao the bolding. OP shouldn't need to press the issue to get a free meal. At the very least an auto gratuity charge should be removed. Or like a free appetizer. It's a matter of customer service, not a moral obligation.

Leave a bad yelp review OP

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
yeah that's bullshit, I understand that the mistakes happen but you should at least acknowledge it and make the customer feel better about it.

We once had a fly in our pitcher at Boston Pizza. We told them, they replaced it like nothing happened. The way they handled it, made me question if they replaced our pitcher for real or just removed the fly and served us the same beer.

If the waitress suggests to the manager she spilled stuff on a patron, she could get fired or docked tips.

If you bring it up to the manager, could be the same result.

She apologized.

No sense in her losing money or her job over it.

Just take some off the tip you leave. That's all.

BriGuy

At a good restaurant? Probably. It's one of those customer service things that goes without saying. A cup of soup or a meal is nothing if it gets a return customer or positive word of mouth.

Kyrios

I think the problem was you didn't complain initially, so they probably saw it as you not thinking it's a big deal.

But yeah if I was the manager of that place I'd at least give you 50% (or 100% depending how big the spill was) off the total bill, complaint or not.

Edit: Actually I'd just pay your bill, word of mouth is probably just as important for any eating establishment.

rjinaz

A good place would have given the meal free of charge. The server doesn't want management to know so unless you make a big deal of it I seriously doubt they heard about it. I can't really blame the server here for not wanting to get in trouble.

So I guess I would judge the place only if the management knew and did nothing but we don't know that.

FZZ

Banned
Are you suggesting white middle class people aren't unhinged as fuck and ready to snap at every perceived slight? Because as a white middle class dude, I've seen some shit in that regard.

Im confused why this matters.

In my biased ass view because I come from an immigrant family I've usually only seen other immigrant families or middle to lower income people complain

and usually if you come from that background you carry it with you (like I do), contrast that to richer people they usually don't complain at restaurants

it's like stereotyping for how people deal with food service, interesting microcosms and shit

Dali

The restaurant sucks and should have done more to apologize. Outside of the pain of being burned, your clothes could be ruined depending on the soup, plus you look like a child or someone that just handled them until you can change clothes.

I think you handled it well, but I'd at least put the place on blast on yelp or something.

Ponn

Banned
Yea, having worked in restaurants not comping your meal automatically was a customer service fail. Adding a tip onto the bill is just cringe worthy.

In this day and age where businesses can get sued quite easily it's baffling to see places drop the ball so hard when it comes to customer service opportunities.

Two Words

You said it was no big deal but you having enough concern to make a thread about it makes that come off as insincere

Do you think making a thread is hard? I simply made a thread to see if others would find this strange. And you think I'm insincere about what, my feelings about having hot soup poured on me?

I'm not oblivious to the fact that I would get more if I made a big fuss about it. I brought it up because I feel the restaurant shouldn't need me to make a fuss to address it. Feeling that way doesn't mean I am "insincere".

In my biased ass view because I come from an immigrant family I've usually only seen other immigrant families or middle to lower income people complain

and usually if you come from that background you carry it with you (like I do), contrast that to richer people they usually don't complain at restaurants

it's like stereotyping for how people deal with food service, interesting microcosms and shit

It's funny because my immigrant ass (Filipino) witnessed more complaining from upper middle class customers

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
If you wanted them to 'do something' you should have talked to the manager about it. I'd guess that they thought you accepted the waitress apology and didn't expect compensation for an accident.

They would have most certainly 'done something' had you made even the slightest fuss about it.

Grow up girl. One: The soup did not burn you, so why mention it. You would probably also whine if the soup was cold, right? Two: Say something when shit bothers you.

You should've made a bigger deal out of it if you wanted something.

Coming from an immigrant family where my parents worked mostly menial jobs, I probably wouldn't make too much of a fuss because I wouldn't want to get a working woman in trouble. Not unless I'd gotten really shitty/rude service or I was on my way to something really important.

commedieu

Banned
I think the problem was you didn't complain initially, so they probably saw it as you not thinking it's a big deal.

But yeah if I was the manager of that place I'd at least give you 50% (or 100% depending how big the spill was) off the total bill, complaint or not.

That's if you knew.

If I spilled soup on a customer.. I'd tell the manager and get whatever is coming. But some might not be like this.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Yea, having worked in restaurants not comping your meal automatically was a customer service fail. Adding a tip onto the bill is just cringe worthy.

It sounds like he was out with a group. Many places add in gratuity if it's six or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom