• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waitress poured hot soup on me, restaurant did absolutely nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMONKUMA

Honesty OP if you made a big complaint about it then you would have gotten a free meal. Since you didn't however, that didn't happen.

I guess if the owner/manager felt really bad then maybe they would or do something else to compensate you. That's rare tho.

So not making a big deal when hot soup is spilled on you, but still expecting a restaurant to feel compelled to make up for it without me making a scene is......deserving of getting hot soup poured on you on purpose?

the thing about expectations is they're just that. you're hoping for something that you believe should happen. you even know that the way to get comp'd is to ask for it but you did not. you said everything is fine. people have been trying to tell you this. you even acknowledge it. so, like, what else is there to say? people now making jokes.

Razorback

So many crazy responses in this thread.

OP you're 100% in the right here, they messed up and they should have compensated you. You shouldn't have to complain to a manager to get decent treatment. They have more to lose, you probably won't return there and you will probably tell this story to a lot of your friends. Perhaps you'll leave a negative Yelp review. It's bad customer service.

I don't understand this knee-jerk desire to force a back fire thread when it makes no sense.

Acyl

Comments are truly bizarre! I've had desserts and dinners entirely free for a LOT LESS. Just food being undercooked is enough to get it for free, damn. Obviously you need to talk to the manager, but doing it in front of your peers could be kind of embarrassing so you did the right thing.

Next time they should pay you to eat there. Ain't nobody going to a restaurant, paying $ for being shit on.

commedieu

Banned
So many crazy responses in this thread.

OP you're 100% in the right here, they messed up and they should have compensated you. You shouldn't have to complain to a manager to get decent treatment. They have more to lose, you probably won't return there and you'll probably tell this story to a lot of your friends. Perhaps you'll leave a negative Yelp review. It's bad customer service.

I don't understand this knee-jerk desire to force a back fire thread when it makes no sense.

This happens a lot to two words.. it seems :/

Comments are truly bizarre! I've had desserts and dinners entirely free for a LOT LESS. Just food being undercooked is enough to get it for free, damn. Obviously you need to talk to the manager, but doing it in front of your peers could be kind of embarrassing so you did the right thing.

Next time they should pay you to eat there. Ain't nobody going to a restaurant, paying $ for being shit on.

And the OP didn't. Hence why he didn't get anything.

Clockwork5

As a restaurant general manager my go to solution for this is to give them a gift card for $20 and give them my business card so they can invoice the restaurant for their dry cleaning.

It's a super simple issue to resolve. Sounds like this restaurant dropped the ball.

Two Words

Like a whole bowl of soup or like a tablespoon?

Like a small cereal bowl.

the thing about expectations is they're just that. you're hoping for something that you believe should happen. you even know that the way to get comp'd is to ask for it but you did not. you said everything is fine. people have been trying to tell you this. you even acknowledge it. so, like, what else is there to say? people now making jokes.

I don't get why you and others can't get this. Yes, I know that making a scene or complaining would be more effective. You're not giving me anything new here. I see nothing wrong with having the view that a good restaurant would have taken action on their own. And the fact that they didn't indicates to me that I think they are a bad restaurant. And I shared this to see what others would expect. It's not complicated.

halfbeast

Banned
there are only two ways to get free stuff: complaining or looking fuckable.

believe me, even if she burned you and you said "no big deal", you wouldn't have gotten a free meal.

theofficefan99

I'm not anywhere near wealthy and I never complain. I would say it only depends on many factors and not just how much money you have. I would say it mostly depends on if you've had a minimum wage or service job. If not, I'd say you're 5000% more likely to be rude or entitled.

HvySky

What is it with the assholes saying the OP is whining? I'd like too see your goddamn reactions if this happened to you., I actually hope this happens to you. It must be nice walking with some gross looking pants, that have probably been stained.

It's just soup. It's not like it scalded the OP or left them with horrible burns. They said themselves it was no big deal and didn't want to make a fuss. I don't necessarily think "whining" is the right word, but can you really be upset about not getting free stuff after you yourself insisted it was no biggie?

I don't think people are trying to force a thread backfire here. In my experience, comps are usually given out to calm down upset customers and keep them coming back if it feels like their experience was beyond redemption. OP sounds like they were a pretty chill customer and didn't make a big deal out of it, so it's weird to then be upset afterward that they didn't get anything out of it.

lawnchair

Banned
are y'all white or middle-upper class?

honest question

edit: OP did she spill some of the soup or the whole thing?

if it was the whole thing then they def fucked up

eh? in my decades of distinguished experience in the food service sector i've learned that wealthy people are way more likely to yell and complain and demand free shit than anyone else.

Jakten

Honesty OP if you made a big complaint about it then you would have gotten a free meal. Since you didn't however, that didn't happen.

I guess if the owner/manager felt really bad then maybe they would or do something else to compensate you. That's rare tho.

Having worked at a restaurant yeah, bitchy costumers a get so much stuff free or discounted. Even if you don't remotely deserve it. If you are willing to make a minimum wage workers life hell and possibly get the fired you've got it made.

MIMIC

Banned

Expecting a restaurant to comp a meal they spilled on you is a pretty reasonable expectation. You're talking about what people are trying to tell him, yet people who actually work in restaurants posting in this thread that said that it's standard practice to offer the customer the meal for free.

Ondor

Banned
We're talking about spilled soup here. Why are you people going about this "move on", "get over it" business? I literally asked "should I have expected a free meal here?"
You asked "should I have expected a free meal here" and then a lot of posters told you no. It doesn't seem like you were asking a genuine question, it feels like- especially in light of your comments throughout the thread- that you want validation. You're upset and you want people to tell you you have a reason to be but you really don't.

Waitresses have it tough. They have to put up with assholes every day. Sometimes, it's really hard to always have to apologize and try and make amends when most of the time it's not even their fault. Yes, it was her fault this time but she apologized and she probably felt awful about it. She could've gone home and thought to herself "wow, that was really embarassing and I'm so glad they were kind enough to not make a big deal about it." That's your compensation for having soup spilled on you. You saved someone further humiliation. Be satisfied with that and move on.

Basically, compassion is a virtue.

I don't get why you and others can't get this. Yes, I know that making a scene or complaining would be more effective. You're not giving me anything new here. I see nothing wrong with having the view that a good restaurant would have taken action on their own. And the fact that they didn't indicates to me that I think they are a bad restaurant. And I shared this to see what others would expect. It's not complicated.

Who is "they"? A restaurant is not a person. The only person in a position to do something is the manager who couldn't read your mind.

What is with this "get over it" stuff? Can't a person ask a question without being obsessed about it? I never get why people feel the need to paint the OP in such a bad light for no good reason.

i-say-we-let-him-go-o.gif

Xenoboy

It's just soup. It's not like it scalded the OP or left them with horrible burns. They said themselves it was no big deal and didn't want to make a fuss. I don't necessarily think "whining" is the right word, but can you really be upset about not getting free stuff after you yourself insisted it was no biggie?

I don't think people are trying to force a thread backfire here. In my experience, comps are usually given out to calm down upset customers and keep them coming back if it feels like their experience was beyond redemption. OP sounds like they were a pretty chill customer and didn't make a big deal out of it, so it's weird to then be upset afterward that they didn't get anything out of it.

Well, I'm more irritated by the wording of these posters. Like, they don't have to be mean about it. That's what I was frustrated about.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

You dont find it unsettling we live in a society where you gotta be an asshole to get good service? That you cant expect a business to be decent and compensate for their mistakes without being yelled to do so? And then after the fact being called an asshole or child for not being an asshole in the first place?

ohlawd

This happens a lot to two words.. it seems :/

lol and it always ends the same

"you guys are 100% right BUT...."

there's always that "but" added on there by OP.

still tho, I'm surprised myself that the restaurant didn't discount the meal or something. business nowadays bend over backwards for the most insignificant person. you can complain about nothing and walk out with everything but the kitchen sink.

they did take action. you even said she sincerely apologized. is that not enough for you? if so, ask to speak to the manager. you are not entitled to a free meal because they accidentally spilled soup on you. that is what you do not understand.

like you even still tipped. you didn't even put up any kind of "i'm actually upset about this" front. you just assumed you deserve more for spilled soup.

So fucking call the restaurant then and stop asking strangers on the internet for help.

Jesus christ.

HvySky

You dont find it unsettling we live in a society where you gotta be an asshole to get good service? That you cant expect a business to be decent and compensate for their mistakes without being yelled to do so? And then after the fact being called an asshole or child for not being an asshole in the first place?

Where did I mention you have to be an asshole? OP could have asked to speak to the manager or asked if it were possible to get some form of reimbursement. Being rude isn't some sort of requirement for that to happen.

Nekrono

OP, don't let people make up feel bad.

In all honesty a decent restaurant with decent service/etiquette at the very least has the waiter/waitress check up on you every now and then asking you how everything is, etc. In this case not even the supervisor or manager was doing their job as clearly something like what happened to you attracts attention and if he was doing his job he would have noticed and approached you.

You did good in not making a big fuss or getting upset/angry, you've only come to GAF to look for advise or other stories on what the proper thing to do would be (at least on the restaurant side), in this case they really needed to have someone approach you, someone with more authority than the waitress (she did all she could and apologized with empathy).

About the tip on the bill though... That could have easily bothered me and personally I would have stood up, asked to speak with the manager and informed him that I would not be paying for it, not because of the mistake of the waitress but because of the lack of supervision.

Two Words

You asked "should I have expected a free meal here" and then a lot of posters told you no. It doesn't seem like you were asking a genuine question, it feels like- especially in light of your comments throughout the thread- that you want validation. You're upset and you want people to tell you you have a reason to be but you really don't.

Waitresses have it tough. They have to put up with assholes every day. Sometimes, it's really hard to always have to apologize and try and make amends when most of the time it's not even their fault. Yes, it was her fault this time but she apologized and she probably felt awful about it. She could've gone home and thought to herself "wow, that was really embarassing and I'm so glad they were kind enough to not make a big deal about it." That's your compensation for having soup spilled on you. You saved someone further humiliation. Be satisfied with that and move on.

Basically, compassion is a virtue.

Can we please drop this "upset" angle? It's getting very tiring. I didn't complain because I could tell the waitress was honestly sorry for it. I am like 99% sure that the management knew because it was a very small restaurant and a lot of employees were around when it happened. I think the restaurant did a bad job by not proactively addressing it. That doesn't mean I am upset. I am not upset, at least not to any significant degree.

Acyl

So fucking call the restaurant then and stop asking strangers in the internet for help.

Jesus christ.

This is actually a good point. You could call the restaurant, they probably remember you and what happened. You could say how embarrassed you were with your fancy coworkers and blahblahblah (bull shit). They'll probably give you a gift card, let you eat for free.

Rival

Gold Member
One time as a waiter I dumped a pitcher of Sam Adams beer on a lady's lap. I felt kind of bad. She Got a free pitcher of beer.

theofficefan99

The waitress was probably worried that she'd get in trouble. Some cheap bosses also probably say "lol why is this meal comp'd???" I agree with the poster that said compassion is a virtue. If it was up to her she would probably give you stuff for free no problem since it's not her restaurant. But I'm guessing comp'ing something or informing the manager would probably lead to her getting in trouble or losing her job maybe. You were nice enough to say it's no big deal and she obviously felt bad about it. Sucks that you didn't get something for free but eh it's life man

Thud

At least try to clean up the mess or deduct the tip from the fee...

OP should have told the restaurant when he was about to pay the bill.

Can we please drop this "upset" angle? It's getting very tiring. I didn't complain because I could tell the waitress was honestly sorry for it. I am like 99% sure that the management knew because it was a very small restaurant and a lot of employees were around when it happened. I think the restaurant did a bad job by not proactively addressing it. That doesn't mean I am upset. I am not upset, at least not to any significant degree.
You're right, most people who don't care about something go home, post it on the internet and then argue for pages with people who don't agree with them. Drop the bullshit already, you weren't fishing for opinions, you were fishing for attention and people pat you on the back for how unjustly you were treated.

MIMIC

Banned
This is actually a good point. You could call the restaurant, they probably remember you and what happened. You could say how embarrassed you were with your fancy coworkers and blahblahblah (bull shit). They'll probably give you a gift card, let you eat for free.

Yes, it is. I'd call them.

In fact, give me the number. I want to know what was going through their head when they charged him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom