• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-N-Out Burgers not coming east. Steak N Shake still secretly the best.

entremet

In-n-out came to Texas and got wrecked by local burger chains.

It's not that in-n-out is bad, it's that it has a cult like status for West Coasters, and once you remove generations of talking them up, they are merely good fast food burgers.

My guess is their lack of market penetration in the Texas expansion is the primary reason they aren't expanding any more.

There are 3 Austin locations and there is never a line at any of them. P-Terry's and Whataburger won here. I know they did ok with their very first locations (lines and all), but once the early curiosity went away, no one really cares.

West Coaster love overselling stuff lol.

studyguy

So I'm a Canadian and I moved to the American west a few years ago -- as a result I have 30-ish years experience not eating In n Out and a few years experience eating In n Out.

My genuine sense is:
- In the places where In n Out serves, there is nowhere that mixes the cheap price, the food quality, the polite service, and the availability of locations.
- The strawberry shakes are the best, cheapest milkshakes you'll get anywhere
- Animal sauce is pretty good
- The stores really, genuinely are clean and friendly with good service. It's a positive experience.
- The branding game is on point.

I think if you're a tourist, as a one off, In n Out might seem underwhelming because you've heard the hype and then you get the experience and you're like "wait, is that it". But if you live here, I think it'll be a part of your rotation. And by god if you haven't been to Los Angeles in a month or two and you fly back into LAX, you'll get a craving as soon as you drive out of the airport parking lot onto Sepulveda.

Obviously the aggro Californians getting mega mad at anyone declaring it anything less than the most amazing thing ever are wrong, but they'll die of a heart attack in traffic at age 50 so what's the point in arguing?

I'd also chalk In N Out's employee treatment as a plus too. They pay well above minimum wage and had for ages before increases and promote regularly from within to their corporate. It's a surprisingly good place to work for a fast food joint if you're in high school or like a broke ass college student.

Dishwalla

Banned
Only West Coast chain that I wish was out here on the East Coast was Jack in the Box. There's a few out here, like down in Charlotte, but none around here.

Although I go back out West later this year, so I guess I'll live.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Oh hey, I got a tag! I don't know what it means but...sure.

- The stores really, genuinely are clean and friendly with good service. It's a positive experience.

This is a huge appeal for me, it is like stepping back in time. They did a bang-up job with their interiors, their staff and the general politeness of everyone.

I'd also chalk In N Out's employee treatment as a plus too. They pay well above minimum wage and had for ages before increases and promote regularly from within to their corporate. It's a surprisingly good place to work for a fast food joint if you're in high school or like a broke ass college student.

Yeah management at say Wendys get about 40K-50K per year while managers at In N Out can make 6 figures

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
In N Out is cheaper than McD's, brah.

348s.jpg

Wut

McDonalds is $1 cheeseburger and like $2 double cheeseburger. It varies from store to store but thats how mine is.

Veitsev

In-n-out came to Texas and got wrecked by local burger chains.

It's not that in-n-out is bad, it's that it has a cult like status for West Coasters, and once you remove generations of talking them up, they are merely good fast food burgers.

My guess is their lack of market penetration in the Texas expansion is the primary reason they aren't expanding any more.

There are 3 Austin locations and there is never a line at any of them. P-Terry's and Whataburger won here. I know they did ok with their very first locations (lines and all), but once the early curiosity went away, no one really cares.

Yep we Texans figured out quick that In-n-out ain't shit. Lines out the ass when the first opened. Everyone tried it and now those places aren't anywhere near as crowded. Back to the dozen+ better options for a good burger.

I guess that Californian nostalgia can only spread so far.

Ashhong

I haven't been to any locations in the US, but the Japanese ones are great.

House Curry is another chain that should branch out.

Pretty sure we have one of those in CA too haha. Lots of good curry options in LA obviously.

Wut

McDonalds is $1 cheeseburger and like $2 double cheeseburger. It varies from store to store but thats how mine is.

Please, PLEASE do not compare a McDonalds cheeseburger to In N Outs lol

I don't really see how five guys and others are competitors. Getting a burger from there is basically as expensive as getting a burger from a good sit down steak house.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Shake Shack is better anyway.

I flew out of JFK the other week and was disappointed to not be in Terminal 3 (?) where the Shake Shack was to get my last minute fix before a long flight. The amenities at the Jet Blue Terminal succckkksss.

Couleurs

I grab some In-N-Out anytime i go to CA/NV/UT and it's always good, but I'm gonna go ahead and jump on the "Culver's is better" team. Because Culver's is better, you see.

We just got a Culver's here in my small FL town so I guess I'm good for a little.

The burger I tried was pretty good but man that ice cream was straight fire.

Visited LA mid-June, ordered up a burger and animal fries.

Burger was okay, animal fries sauce was necessary to moisten the dry-as-shit hickory stick twigs they call fries.

You can keep it, Worst Coast.

My feelings toward them as well. We still have Five Guys and some of the superior Shake Shake's over here. I can live with those two over In-N-Out

I love In N Out but I definitely think that has to do with the novelty (I've been to one in CA and one in Vegas). Keep it far away so it makes it that much better.

They can keep In-N-Out. This is the only thing that I hope moves east:

Wait a minute, they're actually have locations in the US now?

When my parents and I were stationed in Japan, we used to go to one installation that wasn't too far off the base a few times. 'Twas pretty good.

Wut

Not the same thing. A better comparison would be a Big Mac or Quarter Pounder to an In n Out Double Cheeseburger.

Also, In N Out doesn't use frozen meat.

The underrated aspect of in n out burgers are how fresh the veggies are along with the meat, the lettuce, onions, and tomato are really crispy and it adds a lot to the flavor profile

Five guys cajun fries are GOAT though

Now I'm back in Alaska where we will never have either

jonezer4

I would hate to see In-N-Out Burger come to the East Coast, because then everyone would realize they're largely over-rated, and elitist Los Angelians would lose the ability to heap ridiculous praise on the restaurant and feel special.

The only reason In-N-Out is such a big deal is not because of the quality/taste of their food, it's the fact that they're seen as such an exclusive fast food restaurant. People that live on the West Coast eat there because it makes them feel special, knowing people on the East Coast don't have these restaurants. People on the East Cost eat there because it's been elevated to almost mythical status fotr them, and they want to see what all the fuss is about.

In-N-Out knows this, hence them being wary of spreading farther away and becoming more common place. They're like the unicorn of fast food, but once you pet the unicorn, you realize it's kind of just a horse and and the horn is glued on.

(By the way, I live down the street from an In-N-Out, so I'm not speaking out of jealousy here. This is my opinion having tried it firsthand and seen people gush about it.)

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Fives guys costs like $25 for two burgers fries and drinks. You might has well go to a sit down restaurant at that point.

Top Bottom