• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new 4" DSi model to be released within this year in Japan

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
duckroll said:
It's kinda odd that Nintendo would think the DSi would actually benefit customers by having a larger screen. The screen size right now is fine, and fits the hardware capabilities fine. I'm not exactly sure what the rational is for making a bigger portable with the same specs, when the usual route is to make them smaller while maintaining the same amount of power, or offering a higher spec.
Some account/engineer found it was cheaper to make the screens 4" instead of 3.25" for some odd reason? Or maybe they figured they could get people in Japan to buy anther DS with new screen sizes (And new colors to be safe)

[Nintex]

Drkirby said:
Some account/engineer found it was cheaper to make the screens 4" instead of 3.25" for some odd reason? Or maybe they figured they could get people in Japan to buy anther DS with new screen sizes (And new colors to be safe)
Maybe Kawazu couldn't see his own team?

HUELEN10

Y2Kev said:
Was Huelen unbanned for this or was it a coincidence? :lol
Nah.
(I think it had to do with talking about GCN controllers no longer being sold through NOA or something like that, I guess I was probably too enthusiastic about it. Just check my post history.)
As you previously read though, I don't really consider myself a fan of this move, regardless of me still being a little excited. I mean choices are good, and I like new gadgets and such, but this seems incredibly unnecessary. I take back what I said with the GB pocket and GB Light, this is even more insignificant. They made a product that is catered for someone who never owned a DSi. I wonder how far that will take them. I am very interested in seeing how all of this turns out.
Mudkips said:
k1ukpw.jpg

:lol

Replace black areas with stupid Pokemon borders and such.
You forgot one thing that I forgot to mention: Safe Area. Any good game or TV show pays heed to this, due to overscan and whatnot. Most people are playing their Wii on a tube, the chances of cutoff are high. It would make game that use all of the touchscreen virtually unplayable. I guess it technically is possible though, so I retract my statement, I stand corrected. I also know about FFCC and how they pulled it off, but could you imagine Nintendo doing that? It's not quite the ideal solution for most content.

Personally, I'd love a large DSi screen. Certain touch screen applications would be great for it, for instance, Moving Memo Pad.

Furthermore, playing DS games on the DSi I felt had a very noticeable difference. Going back to a DS Phat or Lite feels small and cramped after using the DSi so much.

Y2Kev said:
Was Huelen unbanned for this or was it a coincidence? :lol
Yeah, I was wondering where he disappeared to...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
HUELEN10 said:
I still do not see how that would work. 480p, Wii's max, is 640x480 square pixels. The DS' screens are 256x192 each and there is a 92 pixel gap in-between them. I don't see how it can be done.
256*2+92=604

604 < 640

Mudkips

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
I still do not see how that would work. 480p, Wii's max, is 640x480 square pixels. The DS' screens are 256x192 each and there is a 92 pixel gap in-between them. I don't see how it can be done.

k1ukpw.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Mudkips said:
http://i35.tinypic.com/k1ukpw.jpg[/IMG

Replace black areas with stupid Pokemon borders and such.[/QUOTE]
Stupid Pokemon Boarders? Maybe for the Pokemon games, but for the normal stuff, it would be the[U] SUPER DS[/U] boarder.

[Nintex]

HUELEN10 said:
Ask Square-Enix
acweud.jpg

Ravidrath

This is such a minor upgrade, it makes me wonder if it's in response to something outside of Nintendo?

Say, their LCD supplier is switching to manufacturing these panels, and so Nintendo is adapting the DS's design to accommodate these new panels instead of maintaining a separate (and more expensive) manufacturing line just for DS screens?

inner-G

Banned
Mudkips said:
k1ukpw.jpg

Or only output the top screen.

It would be good for RPGs and whatnot, and you'd still have the touch screen in your hands for menus and such.

MGrant said:
Shit, at this rate I'll never upgrade from my DS Fat. Slow down the revisions for a couple of quarters, Nintendo.

I actually hope they release a better DS lite so I can finally upgrade. GBA slot is of utmost importance to me.

CTLance

Another revision? They be mad, yo. The thing has now gone through, what, four revisions? You betcha ass that 0.75" bonus screen diagonale will be a distinction.

So when I want to infect my dad with DS goodness, I now have to make sure he doesn't get the ugly one, the sexy one without the dots on hinge and cover, or the sexy one with the dots, but the sexy one with the dots and the bigger screens? Good luck with that.

Ugh, the GP32 had a 3.5" 320x240 px display. This one will have 256x192 pixels on an even bigger screen. Eeek. The pixels are cutting my retinas even now.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
jamesinclair said:
I actually hope they release a better DS lite so I can finally upgrade. GBA slot is of utmost importance to me.
They will and it will be called Virtual Console on DSi.....

Somnid

Doesn't sound like an upgrade at all, more like an alternate model. I guess this is for the bad vision, giant hands market. I think most people would be more satisfied with the regular DSi because it'll be more portable and the battery life is likely going to suffer.

If this hits the US if might give me an excuse to buy another one since I don't have a US DSi. That, and that Virtual Console Portable that hasn't happened.

Also, 2x 4" screens is an insane amount of screen area for a portable device.

Synless

Josh7289 said:
What the hell?

It's not even a DS2? Just a new DSi? A new DSi?

What the hell is Nintendo doing?
Joining MS and Sony in the battle of who can have the most ridiculous amounts of SKU's.

Amory

neo2046 said:
source: today's Nikkei morning post
http://blog.livedoor.jp/jim115/archives/51286284.html

according to the article
it seems basically the spec and the function of the new model remain the same,
just the screen become bigger
The retaiil price is the same, 18900 yen
The new 4" DSi model will be released within this year in Japan, places outside Japan are still under discussion

oh god DAMNIT!

here I was thinking I futureproofed myself by just trading in for a dsi, and already i'm gonna have to get another one.

whatever, new ds for me next year when it releases in NA :)

Squash

XCell9200 said:
oh god DAMNIT!

here I was thinking I futureproofed myself by just trading in for a dsi, and already i'm gonna have to get another one.

whatever, new ds for me next year when it releases in NA :)

I thought i futureproofed myself too when I got a Game Boy Pocket... and then Color... and then Advance... It's the world of Nintendo portables, there is no future proofing.:lol

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
GODDAMMIT!!!! I'VE ONLY JUST HAD MINE FOR 2 MONTHS! I even spent the money I should have used for class books on it! Jesus christ, they pulled a fucking Sony on me.
dmpum1.gif

EDIT: Nevermind. Rage subsided and after thinking it through, I will probably still buy it, sadly enough.

yankee666

I love everything from Nintendo, and I'm sure ill buy if this ever comes true, but please Nintendo Fix the DSiware issue so i can transfer all my jap dsiware games to this new DSi, this is the only thing that I'm hopping for.
I'm also wondering how bigger the overall console would be console .

HUELEN10

Squash said:
I thought i futureproofed myself too when I got a Game Boy Pocket... and then Color... and then Advance... It's the world of Nintendo portables, there is no future proofing.:lol
There sadly isn't, though it's not that many "required" machines. With a GB, GBC, GBA, DS, and DSi (when there are enough exclusives to warrant a purchase from you), you are set. 5 systems in 20 years is not that bad, is it? The one thing I don't get is "4th DS", this is the 2nd DSi, not the 4th DS. The GB had 3 versions, the GBC had 1, the DS had 2, the DSi has 2 now, but the GBA had a total of 5 differnt versions!

1. GBA
2. GBA SP
3. GBA SP with Backlight
4. GB Micro
5. Visteon Dockable DVD...
wrbcz6.jpg

GBA had the most revisions, but I don't really see that much complaining. Yes the DSi is a DS, just as the GBC was a GB, but they aren't they same thing. As soon as the specs change and exclusives are made, they become totally separate, though similar entities. Now if Nintendo wants to make yet another DSi after this, just no...

And I haven't got a DSi yet. But in fact, I would probably get the 3.25" model before this one. Or maybe I could get a US DSi and a JP DSiBig... but not before they drop the price to under $150.

Seems pretty unnecesary.

Squash

HUELEN10 said:
There sadly isn't, though it's not that many "required" machines. With a GB, GBC, GBA, DS, and DSi (when there are enough exclusives to warrant a purchase from you), you are set. 5 systems in 20 years is not that bad, is it? The one thing I don't get is "4th DS", this is the 2nd DSi, not the 4th DS. The GB had 3 versions, the GBC had 1, the DS had 2, the DSi has 2 now, but the GBA had a total of 5 differnt versions!

1. GBA
2. GBA SP
3. GBA SP with Backlight
4. GB Micro
5. Visteon Dockable DVD...
wrbcz6.jpg

GBA had the most revisions, but I don't really see that much complaining. Yes the DSi is a DS, just as the GBC was a GB, but they aren't they same thing. As soon as the specs change and exclusives are made, they become totally separate, though similar entities. Now if Nintendo wants to make yet another DSi after this, just no...

The thing that irritates me is how long it took them to get the backlight right. I contemplated for a long time on getting the 60 dollar mod, then the SP came out, but that light wasn't that great either.

They made a big deal back then about how much more expensive it would have made the system, and I felt like they were really milking the system adding features that really should have been standards in the first place, those features being color and light. I skipped the mini and first DS because I was fed up with it all.

TimeKillr

HUELEN10 said:
Nah.
(I think it had to do with talking about GCN controllers no longer being sold through NOA or something like that, I guess I was probably too enthusiastic about it. Just check my post history.)
As you previously read though, I don't really consider myself a fan of this move, regardless of me still being a little excited. I mean choices are good, and I like new gadgets and such, but this seems incredibly unnecessary. I take back what I said with the GB pocket and GB Light, this is even more insignificant. They made a product that is catered for someone who never owned a DSi. I wonder how far that will take them. I am very interested in seeing how all of this turns out.

You forgot one thing that I forgot to mention: Safe Area. Any good game or TV show pays heed to this, due to overscan and whatnot. Most people are playing their Wii on a tube, the chances of cutoff are high. It would make game that use all of the touchscreen virtually unplayable. I guess it technically is possible though, so I retract my statement, I stand corrected. I also know about FFCC and how they pulled it off, but could you imagine Nintendo doing that? It's not quite the ideal solution for most content.

Safe frames are really easy to work around though - just make sure all the display is within the title safe zone and you're ready to go.

TimeKillr said:
Safe frames are really easy to work around though - just make sure all the display is within the title safe zone and you're ready to go.
I hate safe frames. The ATSC was the perfect opportunity to do away with them once and for all, and they don't even bother. Fuck.

Nice. I thought Sony was going to be alone in killing my streak of buying every handheld iteration, but now Nintendo was able to match them.

Squash said:
I contemplated for a long time on getting the 60 dollar mod, then the SP came out, but that light wasn't that great either.

I got my afterburner mod a month or so before they announced SP.

yankee666

How many days have passed since last years Nikkei (or was another newspaper?) Dsi leaked announcement and the actual Nintendo conference announcing the DSi?

gkryhewy

Tobor said:
They're going forward with the Senior Citizen Model? :lol

I don't think you're in a very good position to throw stones on this. Shouldn't you already have a draft set of contrarian talking points defending this new DSiCanRead?

daycru

HUELEN said:
geeze it was only three Ninty tats (Nintats)!! >_>But anyway, WOWEEEEE, 4 INCHES of DS goodness!! Can't wait to play Mario and Wario and Mario on that!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Oh God, seriously laughed so hard I couldn't breathe. EmCeeGramr is the man.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
gkrykewy said:
I don't think you're in a very good position to throw stones on this. Shouldn't you already have a draft set of contrarian talking points defending this new DSiCanRead?

[Nintex]

bttb said:
2008.09.28 - Nikkei DSi Leak
2008.10.02 - DSi Announced
2008.11.01 - DSi Released
2009.10.27 - Nikkei New DS Leak

2009.10.29 - Nintendo FY2009 Q2 Earnings Release
2009.10.30 - Nintendo Semi-annual Financial Results Briefing
So about that Zelda Wii thing... october conference after all?

Maron

Regulus Tera said:
And here I thought they would wait two years, not one, for another DS redesign.

Same here, although I wouldn't call this a redesign (at least not in the sense the DSi was to the DS). All that's being done is them making the screen a little bigger, I believe.

tino

Banned
While PSP gets smaller DS gets bigger?

Good news. This will make me finally buy a DS.

I brought the GBA SP too early and got the non-bright screen version, it's good to wait. :D

Top Bottom