• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new 4" DSi model to be released within this year in Japan

Mudkips

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
You forgot one thing that I forgot to mention: Safe Area.

I didn't forget.
You got your two pixels on top and on bottom.:lol
Though I suppose I should have just put 4 on the bottom, (to prioritize the touchscreen).

Of course if Nintendo were to do it, then they probably would shrink the space between the screens to compensate for overscan.

Mudkips said:
I didn't forget.
You got your two pixels on top and on bottom.:lol
Though I suppose I should have just put 4 on the bottom, (to prioritize the touchscreen).

Of course if Nintendo were to do it, then they probably would shrink the space between the screens to compensate for overscan.
Title safe - 10% off the top, bottom, left, and right. I hate overscan.

If your TV's resolution is 320x240 - 256x192 becomes your real usable size. If it's 640x480, your usable size is 512x384. I hate overscan. I double-hate the ATSC for not resolving this. Most LCD's and plasma HDTV's are pretty good about maintaining a small overscan area. Traditional RPTV's do not, and DLP's are a bit varied, but definitely worse than LCDs and Plasmas tend to be. Overscan means wasted pixels, bandwidth, and titles that are way too close to the center of the screen. A proper definition of "NO OVERSCAN ANYMORE" would have made things better all the way around.

I bought my HDTV particularly because when I have a PC hooked up to it, and give it a signal at it's native resolution, it gives me a perfect picture, at native res (1366x768) with no overscan whatsoever.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I really don't get the point of this move, the DSi is on top of the hardware charts each week...

ethelred

jj984jj said:
I really don't get the point of this move, the DSi is on top of the hardware charts each week...

The point is, obviously, that regardless of its location in the charts, Nintendo wants to sell more units:

The Tuesday morning edition of the Nihon Keizai Shimbun reports that Nintendo will be attempting to spur sales of its DS line of portable systems. Domestically, the company will be releasing a DSi hardware revision within the calendar year. By the end of the fiscal year, it aims to release the current DSi in Korean and Chinese markets.

[...] With the larger screen size, Nintendo aims to expand use for the system to movies and digital books, and also spur demand amongst older audiences who might have considered the current screen hard to see. It also hopes to fend off stronger competition from Sony and Apple.

Pricing for the new system is expected to be "about the same" as the current model's ¥18,900. The paper lists a release time frame as the calendar year rather than the fiscal year, so it's possible that this will be a holiday item.

Naturally, attempting to spur sales of hardware is easier by way of creating a useless new model instead of actually creating more games, which requires thought and resources. It's much less satisfying, though.

Josh7289

I just realized that this is coming out this year in Japan. This year is almost over. That's weird.

But it leaves the possibility open for a DS2 in 2010.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
bttb said:
2008.09.28 - Nikkei DSi Leak
2008.10.02 - DSi Announced
2008.11.01 - DSi Released
2009.10.27 - Nikkei New DS Leak

2009.10.29 - Nintendo FY2009 Q2 Earnings Release
2009.10.30 - Nintendo Semi-annual Financial Results Briefing
Ah, why not, Kirby Wii reannouncement Hype train GO!

Roto13

Hmm. My DS Lite is on its last legs (I can´t play anything that requires a shoulder button because they just stopped working entirely.) I was planning to get a DSi soon, but I don´t know if I should wait for the new one. The current screen size is fine with me.

jj984jj said:

The Nikkei article says that sales have fallen since last year.

It's still on top, but I guess investors want more.

Troidal

God this reminds me when they released one Game Boy iteration to another in the span of just few months. Oh the betrayals...

It's either deja vu or Nintendo is doing it AGAIN, AGAIN, AGAIN....

Next, they'll just sell a 25-inch DS monitor or some shit. I swear :lol

So it looks like Sony and Nintendo are following the Apple model of offering a slightly upgraded unit every 12-18 months. This makes a certain percentage of people buy another one just to have whatever is new, while also ensuring that they won't need to start lowering MSRP on them.

I like it.

brain_stew said:
That's one shitty pixel pitch, 3D games are going to look horrendously bad.

They already do. :(

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
outunderthestars said:
They already do. :(
Seriously, do you people really think a bigger screen is going to unleash a new flood of haters or something? They do just fine ragging on the 3D as is.

Epcott

A new DSi model! Just in time too... the sales slightly dipped for a split second, it's like when a groundhog see's it's shadow :D

Like clockwork!

DarkWish

I got a question. Does the original article from Nikkei say anything about this being geared towards older people (cause of the bigger screen) or anything about the potential movies and digital books that the andriasang article mentions? I want to know if it's just speculation or if those are facts and we will see movies and digital books come to the DSi.

Somnid

DarkWish said:
I got a question. Does the original article from Nikkei say anything about this being geared towards older people (cause of the bigger screen) or anything about the potential movies and digital books that the andriasang article mentions? I want to know if it's just speculation or if those are facts and we will see movies and digital books come to the DSi.

I don't recall the books and movies part, but yes, it is for people who think the DSi screens are too small.

Magypsy23

Banned
DarkWish said:

Aren't there dozens of educational software and digital books already out for the DS?

Epcott

gkrykewy said:
The funny thing is that they really haven't - not since the DSi launched, anyway.

True, the sales have gotten better. Though I still find it surprising (well, not surprising) that just when the pie starts to become more evenly cut, POW... a new model

DarkWish said:

That's all in the article. I picked up the paper before writing it, as the scan was missing a good chunk at the bottom. Also, the stuff Nikkei posts online is usually only a part of what they print in the paper. It's usually the main part, but there are sometimes a few interesting bits missing.

DarkWish

AndriaSang said:
That's all in the article. I picked up the paper before writing it, as the scan was missing a good chunk at the bottom. Also, the stuff Nikkei posts online is usually only a part of what they print in the paper. It's usually the main part, but there are sometimes a few interesting bits missing.
Oh okay, thanks!

ajim

MGrant said:
Shit, at this rate I'll never upgrade from my DS Fat. Slow down the revisions for a couple of quarters, Nintendo.
Kind of how I'm feeling. Sticking with my DS Phat for a little while longer it would seem.

leroidys

That's strange that its the same price. My mom has a ds lite but complains that the screen is too small, so this makes sense to me.

Call me elitist if you like lol, but I honestly can't believe people still play on DS Phats, the Lite was glorious!

I play my DS almost daily though, love the thing to bits so I guess I would think that.

cvxfreak

And Nintendo can't even be arsed to bump up the internal memory on the Wii or something...

Anyway, I'm curious as to how different this will look. My friend is actually buying a DSi next month, so I'll tell him the news.

MidnightScott said:
Fuck you, Nintendo.

Says the guy with a pokemon avatar. As a pokemon fan, I figured you would be used to rebuying the same exact thing over and over again. ;)

Your current ds doesn't explode into flames when the new model comes out so why the hate?

outunderthestars said:
Says the guy with a pokemon avatar. As a pokemon fan, I figured you would be used to rebuying the same exact thing over and over again. ;)

Your current ds doesn't explode into flames when the new model comes out so why the hate?

2n18aya.png

Seriously why release the older one if they already knew they were gonna release another one a year later? That seriously ticks me off.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Can't wait for the defense forces and clamors for exclusive region locked DSi Enlargement games that take advantage of the 4" enhancement.

DungeonO

lol at all the people who can't go without having the best newest most super duper hardware, even if it plays the same exact games as the DS you already have. Nintendo isn't forcing a single person to buy this.

In fact, I'd bet that it wont even leave Japan.

MidnightScott said:
2n18aya.png

Seriously why release the older one if they already knew they were gonna release another one a year later? That seriously ticks me off.

That is how the majority of things sold work. Everything basically has a model year. Did you get mad when your car company released a new model the year after you bought your car? How about the computer you are currently using or the television in your living room?

The PS3, 360, psp, and DS have all operated this way during this generation.

Nintendo released the ds lite two after the original, then the DSi two years after the light. We'll probably see the the new model next summer making it roughly two years again.

Once again, why is this shocking to anyone?

HUELEN10

DungeonO said:
lol at all the people who can't go without having the best newest most super duper hardware, even if it plays the same exact games as the DS you already have. Nintendo isn't forcing a single person to buy this.

In fact, I'd bet that it wont even leave Japan.
If this were to happen, it would be the first time since the Gameboy Light. If any system has a chances of staying in Japan, this is probably the most likely case in a long time.

Jonnyram

DarkWish said:
The original article says that the new device is specifically targetted at younger and older audiences. It will also have stronger anti-piracy features. That's about the long and short of it. It's probably not a revision that anyone here will be interested in.

Jonnyram said:
The original article says that the new device is specifically targetted at younger and older audiences. It will also have stronger anti-piracy features. That's about the long and short of it. It's probably not a revision that anyone here will be interested in.

That would make sense. I always figured half of the reason for the DSi's existence was to defeat the flashcart piracy issue.

d+pad

cvxfreak said:
And Nintendo can't even be arsed to bump up the internal memory on the Wii or something...

Ha ha - that's along the lines of what I was thinking when I first read this news. Nintendo has yet to release more than one extra color for the Wii, and yet they're on their fourth iteration of the DS (and, what, 1,000th color?). Grrrrr...

Loam

Wow, just fucking wow. I literally just took the plunge and upgraded to the current DSi this week, and now they're announcing another model? ugh, impeccable timing as always it seems.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Wren said:
Wow, just fucking wow. I literally just took the plunge and upgraded to the current DSi this week, and now they're announcing another model? ugh, impeccable timing as always it seems.
nothing's actually announced yet, but from the sound of it, the screen will be the only significant difference.

Top Bottom