• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Speaking of Sacramentary Abolishment though, Reassessment of Preliminary Defensive Procedures from River of Corticone is one of my favorite death/funeral dooms tracks ever. Which is kinda odd for obvious reasons.

the doom aspects of Axis and SA are one of the reasons I love them so much. Great dynamic to the general chaotic nature of the bands. A few years ago Yosuke of NWN said he had a discussion with Vermin regarding LP reissues and said they have no interest, however I believe it will eventually happen and it would be a long time coming. Killer music.

KXT1ZUg.png

Monstrosity (FL) - Imperial Doom (Nuclear Blast 1992)
Monstrosity (FL) - Millennium (Night of the Vinyl Dead 2010)

since the Malevolent Creation reissues are coming out this Friday I asked myself what are REALLY my favorite death metal albums from Florida? The first two albums by Monstrosity came to mind immediately. I truly feel these are two of the greatest death metal albums ever, and yet I feel they're super underrated. Imperial Doom gets its due in part; it's got the Seagrave cover, Nuclear Blast LP, etc. but Millennium is tragically unsung and I may even take it over the former. Both of these are awesome showcases of the inherent, unforced technicality of American OSDM. The riff writing is impeccable, songs are memorable, execution on point. Simply fantastic recordings all around.

Millenium is so, so good. Definitely my favorite of the two

Though Monstrosity kind of pissed me off when I saw them. Wanted to hear Devious Instinct (track 2) and they played tracks 1, 3 and 4 of Millennium in a row. Lol

If we're picking favorites from classic Florida death my list would probably look like:

1. Altars Of Madness
2. The Bleeding
3. Millennium
4. Once Upon The Cross
5. Amon: Feasting the Beast demo compilation

I know most people swear by the first two Deicide albums but I prefer the production and thrashier sound of Once Upon The Cross. The Amon demos though are super rad

A friend once told me he didn't like The Bleeding because of the production and I was baffled, like dude what

I totally get preferring the first album for being basically a thrash album, or Butchered/Tomb for being "sicker", but the production on Bleeding is perfect to me.

A friend once told me he didn't like The Bleeding because of the production and I was baffled, like dude what

I totally get preferring the first album for being basically a thrash album, or Butchered/Tomb for being "sicker", but the production on Bleeding is perfect to me.

I do like their earlier albums but I totally agree, dude. The Bleeding has a lot of the best riffs they have ever done too, in my opinion.

I absorbed the first four CC in order and got more into them with each album. The Bleeding I would say is their objective best, although my preference between the Barnes LPs changes all the time. Today my Florida list probably looks like:

Legion
Altars of Madness
Millennium
Retribution
The Bleeding

shout outs to:

Piece of Time
Slowly We Rot
The Key
Screams of Anguish
Death (in general)

for no particular reason I will leave Angelcorpse out of the picture despite being an unabashed Pete Helmkamp fanboy but Exterminate and The Inexorable are totally immortal death metal recordings for me. On that note, another less celebrated Tampa rec.

Diabolic (FL) - Supreme Evil

Morbid Angel worship that is truthfully not on Angelcorpse's level, but still absolutely worth a mention and deserving of more recognition.

KXT1ZUg.png

since the Malevolent Creation reissues are coming out this Friday I asked myself what are REALLY my favorite death metal albums from Florida? The first two albums by Monstrosity came to mind immediately. I truly feel these are two of the greatest death metal albums ever, and yet I feel they're super underrated. Imperial Doom gets its due in part; it's got the Seagrave cover, Nuclear Blast LP, etc. but Millennium is tragically unsung and I may even take it over the former. Both of these are awesome showcases of the inherent, unforced technicality of American OSDM. The riff writing is impeccable, songs are memorable, execution on point. Simply fantastic recordings all around.

WHERE THE FUCK DID YOU GET THAT? The first two Malevolent Creation and Monstrosity - Imperial Doom are one of my most sought out albums. Millenium is solid, but has an extremely dry production. Lee Harrison is an underrated drummer though.

The holy grail of Florida death metal for me are:
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Obituary - Cause of Death
Death - Leprosy

Other classics:
Atheist - Piece of Time
Death - Human
Deicide - S/T, Legion
Nocturnus - The Key
Brutality - Screams of Anguish, When The Sky Turns Black
Cynic - Demos, Focus
Disincarnate - Dreams of the Carrion Kind

certainly, Imperial Doom does have a little more atmosphere to the production that makes it a slightly smoother listen. Millennium's production is far from perfect especially with regards to the dryness like you mention, but unlike many other albums where even the slightest flaw can make me hate it, I find it to be totally serviceable. Again it's the songs that make me give Millennium the nod. Totally seamless and subtle riff mastery.

Disincarnate is a good rec. I really haven't listened to Focus a lot over the years, but since you bring them up I should note that Century Media just released a compilation of all the demo material this year. I must now track it down.

Disincarnate is a good rec. I really haven't listened to Focus a lot over the years, but since you bring them up I should note that Century Media just released a compilation of all the demo material this year. I must now track it down.

I picked up the demo compilation earlier. I used to listen to the demo's obsessively and asked for years on an official release. Pretty crazy to see their skills improve dramatically over each demo and then out of nowhere comes Focus.

bebop242

So I've been listening to and attending metal shows the past couple years and looking at setlists online it seems like most bands play the same exact setlist night after night with a few exceptions when they change a song or two.

I really don't care for Pearl Jam but I give them credit that they mix up thier setlist pretty much every show.

Is there a metal band around these days that do that?

Hesemonni

Banned
This little piece of music turns 30 tomorrow on the 25th of May:

b71K2hm.png

I didn't actually find Death until Symbolic which I love to bits. I guess the 30th anniversary of SBG is a perfect excuse to give the record some serious playtime.

b71K2hm.png

I didn't actually find Death until Symbolic which I love to bits. I guess the 30th anniversary of SBG is a perfect excuse to give the record some serious playtime.

Classic, like every other Death album. I think Spiritual Healing is the only Death album I don't think is damn near perfect (like....an 8/10 or something).

Speaking of which, what rating would you give each Death album?

Regiruler

b71K2hm.png

I didn't realize that album was so close to such an important anniversary. The DragonForce cover makes a lot of sense now.

Herman has a fair bit of a lot darker material in his past. He doesn't bring it up much but I'm glad he paid tribute.

Now I can't get out of my head the idea of a 2 Minutes to Midnight cover.

Edit: Speaking of Anniversaries, Legendary Tales will be 20 this October 27th, with another Rhapsody anniversary following practically every year after (they really put them out at record pace back in the day).

Classic, like every other Death album. I think Spiritual Healing is the only Death album I don't think is damn near perfect (like....an 8/10 or something).

Speaking of which, what rating would you give each Death album?

Scream Bloody Gore - 10/10
Leprosy - 15/10
Spiritual Healing - 8/10
Human - 15/10

The rest are irrelevant to me. Couple of standout songs on Individual Thought Patterns and Symbolic, but the rest is unlistenable.

RDreamer

I could never get as into Death as I'd like with the exception of Sound of Perseverance. I think once I heard that it just eclipsed all their other work so ridiculously much it was hard to listen to the others.

For me Leprosy, Symbolic and The Sound of Perseverance are 10/10 records. The rest I should listen more to really even try to pass judgement.

Add Human to this list and it's perfect. Leprosy for me is THE definitive old school death metal album and then Chuck just got so inventive and creative with the genre it's astonishing. I remember the first time I heard Scavenger of Human Sorrow, it was one of the most mindblowing songs I had ever listened to.

I honestly find Scream Bloody Gore and Spiritual Healing to be more on the boring side, they don't do much for me. Individual Thought Patterns is certainly interesting but not up to the standard of their other progressive era albums.

Control Denied is also a must listen. I like listening to Sound of Perserverence and The Fragile Art of Existence back to back. A fucking crime that Chuck Schuldiner left this planet so soon. Damn my eyes are getting watery just writing this.

Holy shit this is actually pretty good. Cautiously optimistic for the future of this band but I'm gonna go knock on wood just in case.

Legendary Tales will be 20 this October 27th, with another Rhapsody anniversary following practically every year after (they really put them out at record pace back in the day).

LAND OF IMMORTAAALS YOU MUST BELONG TO ME!
FROM HEEEEEERE TO ETERNITYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Goddamn I'm putting that album on my phone right this second. So good.
Sound of Perseverance is also going on my phone.

you know, Leprosy is sick, but that 80s snare sound is seriously terrible lol. Even the remaster does little to nothing to address it, unlike the Individual Thought Patterns reissue where the drum sound is radically different.

oh yeah, I can't really listen to The Sound of Perseverance either.

If I had to rank Death, I'd go like this.

SOP>Symbolic>Human>Individual Thought Patterns>Scream Bloody Gore>Leprosy>Spiritual Healing.

I guess. Also should mention that like I said before, every album is pretty much a 10/10 except Spiritual Healing.

Gray Matter

I remember discovering death back in high school, I was hooked from the start. Great band, although I don't listen to them as much as I should.

Also... favorite song has to be pull the plug.

Quikies83

Woohoo just grabbed tickets to see BTBAM in New Orleans.
Colors was my favorite album of theirs, minus their debut (remember when Tommy had decent vocals?).
I actually saw this same Colors tour back in 07 or 08. It is, til this day, one of the best live performances I've witnessed.
Don't even try to whip out any of your shit post Colors!!!

And The Contortionist have been one of my fav bands since their last release. This will be my second time seeing them this year.

Really can't wait.
Any other gaffers going to this one?

Oh, the new Loss album is the best funeral doom release this far this year.

Gray Matter

Woohoo just grabbed tickets to see BTBAM in New Orleans.
Colors was my favorite album of theirs, minus their debut (remember when Tommy had decent vocals?).
I actually saw this same Colors tour back in 07 or 08. It is, til this day, one of the best live performances I've witnessed.
Don't even try to whip out any of your shit post Colors!!!

And The Contortionist have been one of my fav bands since their last release. This will be my second time seeing them this year.

Really can't wait.
Any other gaffers going to this one?

Oh, the new Loss album is the best funeral doom release this far this year.

I'm going, I'm hyped as well.

The NYC show was sold when i tried to buy tickets but the moved the show to a bigger venue so I got my hands on some tickets now. Can't wait.

Top Bottom